Week 2, 2024: Texas at Michigan

Wulaw Horn

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Hell of a marketing job.  I might make my way down there, at least for the first half.  It's always nice to watch big games like this with some fellow horns.  It helps if they're respectable, but I can overlook that.

You could use more fiber in your diet as well, old man.

1 minute ago, gofuckyourself said:

Username doesn't check out, unless it's BornAndRaisedNorthDakota...

Highs this week is mid 80s. That's nearly winter weather.   

I can have preferences! Just because I was born and raised in austin doesn't mean I dint appreciate cooler weather. I agree though, our pre-fall tease is coming next week.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

There is also this: "Anthony Hill Jr., who was only okay a year ago."

Seriously... he wrote that about a guy who was second on the team in tackles, had 5 sacks, 8 tackles for a loss, 4 QB hurries, a FF, all as a true freshman with a lower share of snaps than others. 

lol. Two of the “special” players on the Michigan Offense are a converted linebacker who’s a 5th year player with 345 career rushing yards and a senior tight end with seven catches, ever. 

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, LOHorn said:

lol. Two of the “special” players on the Michigan Offense are a converted linebacker who’s a 5th year player with 345 career rushing yards and a senior tight end with seven catches, ever. 

To be fair, that TE is special. Dude is a monster.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This thread has added multiple tangents in the last two pages that are all terrible in their own right. You guys can’t help yourselves, really. A perfectly good football thread is now home to:

-several asshats trying to spark up a good ol’Chris Simms debate

-some stupid fitness dialogue

-an asshole empties his shitter of a prediction here when there is an actual prediction thread for that fucking dildo of a human to go fuck up instead

-people reacting to the asshole emptying his shitter

-debates about how Michigan people behave regionally

-and something about some guy who edged with a Michigan broad about a shitty I-Roc or something. 

Step Brothers Mf GIF by reactionseditor

That's what you get. People are still in offseason mode and we have a one game sample size to endlessly pick over obsessively with damn little pro football to take edge off.

Expect a few diversions, most of which were at least somewhat game related except for the health and fitness blog that somehow popped up...lucky that thing didn't completely derail this thread.

23 minutes ago, Mittens said:

that's my guy! always thought we had a chance with him. but rarely did we win, that's how bad we were. Eric and a bunch of JAGs. what a wasted talent on the 40. that heisman promo was terribad totally cringe.

20 minutes ago, troph said:

that's my guy! always thought we had a chance with him. but rarely did we win, that's how bad we were. Eric and a bunch of JAGs. what a wasted talent on the 40. that heisman promo was terribad totally cringe.

You mean a Heisman campaign based on Alabama's "you've got the touch" didn't resonate with Heisman voters?  Kind of like a recruiting video with "nothing gonna stop us now" didn't connect with recruits?  Who the hell was running our SID then?  

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

You mean a Heisman campaign based on Alabama's "you've got the touch" didn't resonate with Heisman voters?  Kind of like a recruiting video with "nothing gonna stop us now" didn't connect with recruits?  Who the hell was running our SID then?  

Mike and the Mechanics would be more appropriate. Fucking waste of a decade.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, troph said:

He was on another level. Obviously the Longhorn highlights, but an all time "WOW" moment was his TD vs the Bengals. The double jump touchdown run.

Best highlight is endzone cam. Can't find it but found this ... "I was upset because the guy touched my sock." LOL

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

53 minutes ago, LOHorn said:

Maybe “special” means the other type of “special”. 

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Hell of a marketing job.  I might make my way down there, at least for the first half.  It's always nice to watch big games like this with some fellow horns.  It helps if they're respectable, but I can overlook that.

Going for a half and then bailing? 
image.gif.a699ac0c547e7b2427a2331e747d1ad8.gif

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

Michigan is one of my least favorite teams in college football.

One of those schools where I have run into an astonishing amount of pricks from their alumni base. So many of the worst NYC stereotypes I met when I lived there turned out out to be Michigan grads. Finance douchebags that take American Psycho as a style and ethics seminar and will never stop seething about their rejection letter from Cornell. Loud, whiny 5' women who never ever shut the fuck up. Some of the most boring holier-than-thou "we do things the RIGHT way" college football watchers you've ever met at a bar.

I'm sure their alums that are actually from Michigan are lovely. Never met one.

Fuck 'em up, Texas by 2 scores.

Same experience. Michigan produces an outsized number of vapid finance bros who work for worthless fast money hedge funds that contribute nothing positive to society

• Hook 'Em 3

College football Week 2 preview - Texas-Michigan, Colorado-Nebraska, picks and more - ESPN $$

Michigan's title defense officially begins
No. 3 Texas Longhorns at No. 10 Michigan Wolverines (12 p.m. ET, Fox)

This week's headliner is one hell of a helmet game. In January in the College Football Playoff National Championship game, Michigan stomped a Washington team that had just beaten Texas in the semifinals. Eight months later, Texas is favored in Ann Arbor.

A lot can change in a single offseason, especially in the transfer portal era. Texas returns its head coach (Steve Sarkisian) and starting quarterback (Quinn Ewers) and came into 2024 ranked 41st in returning production. Michigan, meanwhile, lost head coach Jim Harbaugh, quarterback J.J. McCarthy and nine other offensive starters. The Wolverines ranked 126th in returning production, and new head man Sherrone Moore elected to start former walk-on Davis Warren at QB. One week into the season, Michigan ranks 122nd in yards per dropback, and Warren is 101st in QBR.

These teams left drastically different impressions last week. Texas ran roughshod over Colorado State, covering the spread by 17.5 points in a 52-0 win. Michigan, meanwhile, led Fresno State just 16-10 with six minutes left before putting the game away with a Colston Loveland touchdown catch and Will Johnson pick-six. (Loveland, one of the nation's best tight ends, caught eight balls for 87 yards; Michigan wideouts caught six for 34.)

That Texas is favored makes sense, but the matchups might make this more of a tossup. You have to nitpick to find any flaws in a 52-point win, but Texas got away with an ultraconservative passing game last week. Twenty-five completions from Ewers and backup Arch Manning were thrown an average of just 3.9 yards downfield, and the only pass Ewers threw 20 or more yards downfield was picked. (He was 2-for-6 on passes at least 10 yards downfield.)

Sarkisian is the master of stealing yards with the short passing game, but Michigan's defense is still excellent, and Johnson's game-clinching pick-six came on a quick pass behind the line. Per Sports Info Solutions, Texas suffered a 10% blown run block rate last week, which ranked 96th; Longhorns backs averaged just 1.8 yards per carry before contact (69th), and Michigan held Fresno State backs to minus-1 yard per carry before contact. There's a chance that the Wolverines are able to render the Horns one-dimensional and make lots of stops.

Texas, of course, will probably do the same. Michigan backs Donovan Edwards and Kalel Mullings ran semi-efficiently last week, and Colorado State's Justin Marshall rushed 25 times for 106 yards against the Horns. But even if this becomes the type of defense-and-ball-control game Michigan wants, at some point either Warren or Alex Orji will probably have to complete a third-and-long pass. Last week the Wolverines were 0-for-6 on third-and-7 or longer.

It won't take many big plays to make the difference in this one. Ewers might need to attempt riskier passes for the Horns to generate chunk plays, but Michigan had no explosiveness whatsoever against Fresno State: Warren averaged 7.9 yards per completion, and only two of 61 Michigan snaps gained 20-plus yards. Texas appears both more likely to break a big one and more likely to suffer a defensive breakdown that allows one.

This one's not a must-win for either team. Both still have two other SP+ top-15 teams on the schedule, so there are future opportunities for marquee wins. But this will tell us a lot about Michigan's upside and Ewers' playmaking abilities, and it should be a blast to watch.

Current line: Texas -7.5 | SP+ projection: Texas by 6.5 | FPI projection: Texas by 10.1

Per Sports Info Solutions, Texas suffered a 10% blown run block rate last week, which ranked 96th; Longhorns backs averaged just 1.8 yards per carry before contact (69th)

Hopefully, the oline is ready to improve on these numbers this week.

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, pacman said:

College football Week 2 preview - Texas-Michigan, Colorado-Nebraska, picks and more - ESPN $$

Per Sports Info Solutions, Texas suffered a 10% blown run block rate last week, which ranked 96th; Longhorns backs averaged just 1.8 yards per carry before contact (69th)

Hopefully, the oline is ready to improve on these numbers this week.

We know this oline can run block better than it did. But it did take it awhile last season to really become effective. Definitely need to gel much quicker this season given we don't have Brooks to make up for warts in the blocking. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Is your mom coming?

13 minutes ago, pacman said:

the only pass Ewers threw 20 or more yards downfield was picked.

say what?...the pass was batted up in the air at the line of scrimmage and caught maybe 4 yds from that point.

bang up reporting job there....

• Hook 'Em 1

... Texas got away with an ultraconservative passing game last week. Twenty-five completions from Ewers and backup Arch Manning were thrown an average of just 3.9 yards downfield...

That's called "twenty-five long handoffs".

5 hours ago, ScottS said:

Someone on MGoBlog got his or her underwear in a bunch about this.  Shocking, I know, that a message board poster would get irrationally upset over something.  Glad that never happens here.

Most of the initial replies were of the "so what, we will gladly take their money" variety, although it also looks like, similar to many a thread on here, that it has veered into some bashing of Texas the state, the university, the residents, etc.  

https://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/cooper-manning-and-his-business-partner-have-turned-graduate2500nightinto-texas-hotel-ann

How atrocious! Texas flags side by side to Meatchicken flags, what next, the cutlery or cups and saucers with Texas logos? My , my the vaginess of UM…UM..is quite delicious.

2 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Currently sitting at a sports bar in Ann Arbor. These fuckers are worried. And scared. You can just tell.

I feel like that’s any bar you’re in. May not be a fair evaluation and is just based on your avatar, though. Also, don’t look at my avatar. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

3 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I was in Ann Arbor for lunch today, a very impressive showing of burnt orange throughout the crowd. I yelled derka a couple of times, but apparently there were no Surly posters nearby

Because the password is muledick you moron

• Hook 'Em 2