Week 2, 2024: Texas at Michigan

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t see anything I’d object to in regard to your thoughts in your posts, or really most here so far. I don’t feel any different. I’m not heading to Ann Arbor thinking we’re getting a gimme, but we have every reason to feel good about the matchup.

The similarities to last year are pretty stark for me, personally. Texas played the first opponent of the year better this year than last, and Michigan played theirs worse than Bama did. There aren’t a ton of other differences. 

Michigan, like Bama, has an unproven QB(s). Having followed Milroe in recruiting, I felt like he could be formidable but also a turnover machine. I guess another difference is that I don’t think the Michigan QBs can be formidable. They fucking suck. 

Michigan lost a lot, like Bama last year, but is expected to be a stout defense. Michigan has big question marks across the offense and secondary. See Bama. Then again, another difference is that Michigan doesn’t have the athletes that Bama or Texas has. They’re not a fast team. 

So I guess the similarities aren’t so many as to be eerie or anything. 

Watching the game, Michigan wasn’t showing much on defense, so we’ll get some new looks. On offense, they weren’t hiding a fucking thing. They struggled all night and pretty much sucked. They got a short field touchdown in the first quarter and outside of that did nothing until late, when superior physical talent and depth finished off an inferior opponent. It was a 16-10 game with 6 minutes left.

The only thing I am a bit nervous about is if we can stop the run straight up the middle. If we don't then their game plan will consist of two plays. I saw a couple of things on the DL Saturday versus Colorado State that I didn't love that I think a team like Michigan could exploit. But if we do that, then there is no reason we should lose that game.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

The only thing I am a bit nervous about is if we can stop the run straight up the middle. If we don't then their game plan will consist of two plays. I saw a couple of things on the DL Saturday versus Colorado State that I didn't love that I think a team like Michigan could exploit. But if we do that, then there is no reason we should lose that game.

They weren’t bullying Fresno State in the running game and they were trying to do so. Also, their TBs are run of the mill. 

Going back and watching the Michigan game closer, and a couple of first half thoughts..

- their DT duo destroys worlds, and when the first team is in, the DL as a whole immediately move the LOS back two yards at the snap. The rest of the defense outside of CB1 (who might be a Stingley Jr clone) is just fine; just run clear-out routes sacrificial routes with whoever he's covering. It seems like a lot of Fresno's offensive success is when one or both of the DTs are subbed out. Similar to Georgia, they have some sick simulated pressures that college offenses can't handle

- this isn't the same Michigan OL. They had a lot of issues against Fresno State 

- they don't have a QB. They don't have WRs. I'm not sure if they even have a good RB, despite Edwards having a big name. They do have TEs. They should really consider basing out of two TE, one FB, and Orgi, and just daring you to load the box to stop the run. I don't think Sherrone has that in him though. Harbaugh might have done it though 

• Hook 'Em 5

UM going to try to grind it out for long drives to limit our TOP. Play solid run coverage, stay in your lane, and get off the field on 3rd down. Rotate bodies on DL to stay fresh and use the Moore/Collins combo at DE on passing downs. Hill and Gbenda going to be counted on big. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Fresno State played with a lot of physicality and aggression. They attacked everything behind the line. They also went after Will Johnson all night, and won most many of those matchups. The Michigan DTs were a problem all night, but they didn’t overwhelm the bulldogs. I think Texas goes with a traditional front with both Sorrell and Burke. Burke was the only dominant run stuffer on some of those back up units yesterday. 

28 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Fresno State played with a lot of physicality and aggression. They attacked everything behind the line. They also went after Will Johnson all night, and won most many of those matchups. The Michigan DTs were a problem all night, but they didn’t overwhelm the bulldogs. I think Texas goes with a traditional front with both Sorrell and Burke. Burke was the only dominant run stuffer on some of those back up units yesterday. 

I think Johnson is like Stingley Jr in that you can get him from time to time, but he's a ballhawk who's a threat for a pick any time you target him 

My biggest surprise was Fresno going at Will Johnson. He made the play to seal the game but he also got beat several times that would have resulted in multiple scores if Fresno has a decent QB. They played him man-free a lot and he was jumping routes, so the double moves were pretty effective. Safety position seemed slow. I expect Texas to see much more zone behind pressure looks cause going man would allow Sark to hunt matchups. 

I don’t see Texas running the ball a lot, but will use the RPO and short passing game to replace it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t see anything I’d object to in regard to your thoughts in your posts, or really most here so far. I don’t feel any different. I’m not heading to Ann Arbor thinking we’re getting a gimme, but we have every reason to feel good about the matchup.

The similarities to last year are pretty stark for me, personally. Texas played the first opponent of the year better this year than last, and Michigan played theirs worse than Bama did. There aren’t a ton of other differences. 

Michigan, like Bama, has an unproven QB(s). Having followed Milroe in recruiting, I felt like he could be formidable but also a turnover machine. I guess another difference is that I don’t think the Michigan QBs can be formidable. They fucking suck. 

Michigan lost a lot, like Bama last year, but is expected to be a stout defense. Michigan has big question marks across the offense and secondary. See Bama. Then again, another difference is that Michigan doesn’t have the athletes that Bama or Texas has. They’re not a fast team. 

So I guess the similarities aren’t so many as to be eerie or anything. 

Watching the game, Michigan wasn’t showing much on defense, so we’ll get some new looks. On offense, they weren’t hiding a fucking thing. They struggled all night and pretty much sucked. They got a short field touchdown in the first quarter and outside of that did nothing until late, when superior physical talent and depth finished off an inferior opponent. It was a 16-10 game with 6 minutes left.

Thanks for the info.

I missed the game and didn't see the highlights till late last night (funeral).

Texas looked good; played damn near everybody, all 3 transfer WR getting TD's, with 10? guys catching passes in the 1st half, gonna give the Michigan DC a lot to think about.

Pretty vanilla on both sides of the ball. Not a lot of real imaginative play calling on offense and still seems like a lot of passes were to wide open guys on the move. There weren't a lot of defensive plays I saw;  2 nice pics and liked Gbenda stuffing that guy in the middle. Didn't see much stunting, blitzing, etc.

Saturday's game should be more wide open, I'm thinking Alabama 2.0.

Weather looks to to be good for Saturday. Waking up to weather in the 40's is muy bueno. 

Michigan Stadium's field is artificial turf. The field may be wet, but shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully a fast track.

image.png.99634342760778f0a4b807ac89beba97.png

3 minutes ago, PTINS said:

Thanks for the info.

I missed the game and didn't see the highlights till late last night (funeral).

Texas looked good; played damn near everybody, all 3 transfer WR getting TD's, with 10? guys catching passes in the 1st half, gonna give the Michigan DC a lot to think about.

Pretty vanilla on both sides of the ball. Not a lot of real imaginative play calling on offense and still seems like a lot of passes were to wide open guys on the move. There weren't a lot of defensive plays I saw;  2 nice pics and liked Gbenda stuffing that guy in the middle. Didn't see much stunting, blitzing, etc.

Saturday's game should be more wide open, I'm thinking Alabama 2.0.

Weather looks to to be good for Saturday. Waking up to weather in the 40's is muy bueno. 

Michigan Stadium's field is artificial turf. The field may be wet, but shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully a fast track.

image.png.99634342760778f0a4b807ac89beba97.png

64 degrees for the high?  Our guys are going to freeze to death.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Feeling confident, but that’s not to say I think it will be easy. You know both teams will have a lot of extra juice for this game compared to week 1. Hope our experience pays off there.

Can’t wait to feel that cool midwestern air on Saturday.  See y’all there.

3 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Will be the best DE and D line Texas sees all year. Going to be a challenge running and Ewers is going to have to not panic with pressure he’ll see.  expect a low scoring game. A 17-13 time deal.  

I don’t disagree that their defense is salty, but I think Texas gets 17 in the 1st half. I see this as a 31-13 kinda game. If Texas can stop their run game, they don’t have a QB capable of sustaining a long drive.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watched the replay. Meatchicken D looked pretty good, O not so much. Fresno D not too bad, O meh, QB not accurate. Less than a TD lead with 5 or 6 minutes to go is a close game, but two TDs after makes it looks more dominant than it was.

Didn't seem like the weasels were sandbagging, and if that's true, I'm not too worried about our game. Don't expect them to put up 30 on us, don't think they can hold us under 30. Spread at 6 1/2 is probably close, but maybe on the low side. 

dis-gon-b-gud.gif

Did many folks watch the Michigan/Fresno game last night? 
To say that I was not impressed would be putting it lightly, and I didn’t have high expectations going into it. 
The QBs for Michigan are objectively bad. Warren would be 4th string at Texas only because I don’t think we actually have a scholarship 4th stringer. Orji isn’t a QB and Michigan appears to realize that, but no one must be willing to tell him. They hardly played him and, when they did, it was basically a Wildcat offense.
Worse than the QBs were the skill position players not named Loveland. There isn’t a single WR that played last night that would be in the Texas two deep. I know we’re deep, so that statement may not be doing their lack of talent justice. Mullings appears to be the go-to TB because Edwards still can’t run inside and they don’t seem to have much interest in running outside. 
Loveland is a true stud TE. Texas needs to take him seriously and take him away as a safety net.  If they do this, Michigan QBs will turn the ball over. 
The offensive line looked mediocre in their first game together. Fresno State wasn’t exactly living in the backfield, but Michigan wasn’t getting push and having their way, which I expected based on the breathless way the Michigan Insider guys were raving about them. 
The Michigan front looked great defensively, allowing 9 yards rushing. This is the strength of their team and it is not even close. 
The Fresno State QB is not a guy Texas would recruit and he was missing guys all night. He made the mistake of testing Will Johnson as well and I hope Texas doesn’t. Frankly, there is no need to do so.
The Michigan LBs and safeties are not fast. Sarkisian is great at picking apart mismatches like this. I’ll never forget watching him scheme to match up the Bama WRs against slow Ohio State LBs repeatedly in the 2020 season’s national title game. Knowing the speed and quickness of our receivers and watching Michigan’s Big 10 pass defense last night gave me a lot of confidence. Michigan has one LB that they rave about because he’s such a thumper. He’s a transfer from Maryland. I want to see him matched up against Texas on passing downs, please. 
The Big House isn’t particularly loud, allegedly. I’m looking forward to seeing it in person. My hope is that Texas goes up by two scores early, takes away home field advantage and forces Michigan to do something, anything on offense. 

Great post and I know Michigan played a “bland” scheme on both sides yesterday. I know we did the same, so we’ll give them our best schemes, as will they.

Still think that if our OL gives Quinn enough time to at least see his 2nd read, we’ll be explosive. Our Defensive has made schematic improvements and we have enough bodies up front to rotate and keep as fresh as possible. Got to handle the ball on STs kicking and returning with zero to minimal errors and we will walk out victorious.

Never will say a blowout on the road prior to the game, but a good solid 8+ point win is what I’m thinking.

Hook’em!!!

Let us all prepare our initial sphincter clenching accordingly as my son’s computer model has Texas winning a hard fought game against Michigan 41-34 and thanks to a come from behind 4th quarter rally by the Horns.

939aa6c52e5705031578e00eb49b1d35.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Let us all prepare our initial sphincter clenching accordingly as my son’s computer model has Texas winning a hard fought game against Michigan 41-34 and thanks to a come from behind 4th quarter rally by the Horns.

Yeah, Alex Orji’s in the game is absurd, he’s basically Vince Young.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I expect to win and win big. I think we’re gonna get better every week and it’s time to slap our dicks on the desk and be cocky. Fuck Michigan. 

Slapping chicks with your dick this weekend and slapping the desk next weekend. Gotta be careful man, you got a whole season to go and at this rate you’re gonna hurt yourself real bad.

48 minutes ago, troph said:

Slapping chicks with your dick this weekend and slapping the desk next weekend. Gotta be careful man, you got a whole season to go and at this rate you’re gonna hurt yourself real bad.

Well it’s not long but it is fat so it can take the pounding. Or that’s what I tell myself.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mdleast said:

Zero chance Michigan scores 34. I like us fairly comfortably. Like 27 or 34-17

3 hours ago, mdleast said:

Ahh he is just a lousy ncaa25 coach…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mdleast said:

Negative 48 yards rushing. Was Baxter out there with crutches?

• Haha 1