Week 2, 2024: Texas at Michigan

Wulaw Horn

28 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Michigan players too worried about searching their name on Twitter after the game 

The idea that Mich was just going to pick up where they left off with Harbaugh gone was so bizarre to me. You can already see the cracks at the seams.

On 9/6/2024 at 11:38 AM, LOHorn said:

According to this guy:

The Michigan offense has 4 special players, and the Texas offense has 3. 

The Michigan defense has 7 special players, the Texas defense 1.

Also, Michigan apparently has 3 All-American players and Texas doesn't have any. Should we even show up, since Michigan so clearly has the talent advantage? 

I wonder if they might have some revised takes?

Garbage in, garbage out.  Those fanboy takes dressed up with the pretense of objective analysis were always a joke.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I knew the pro Michigan gushing on this thread was horseshit. Our resident Wolverines have had the sheep’s wool pulled over their eyes. 

Remember the graphics from MGOBlog or wherever that showed that UM had 3 All American players and Texas had none? Plus better talent just about every position except QB? Good times. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haiku from mgoblog.com Michigan fans before the game and one from after the game. They're actually pretty funny. ENJOY:

Texas barbecue
Is better than their football
Let's eat Texas beef

Bigger in Texas?
The tiny dick energy.
All hat, no cattle.

The leaves will fall soon
Burnt orange flailing in the wind
Like the Texas lines

Lousy barbecue.
Fuck the Graduate Hotel.
And fuck Greg Abbott.

What Comes from Texas
Listen to Sargeant Hartman
Only Steers and Queers

Ugly burnt jerseys
Last big win with dinosaurs
That is real UT

In big Texas plains…
Five star players everywhere !
Still can’t win their league

I arrive postgame
Thus, I know how it went down
And it was not good

• Hook 'Em 1

All in all, great atmosphere. The alumni/general fans were fine. The college kids like any were idiots. It was really loud early on, but our guys took the fight out of them quick. What a fun day… other than being really weirdly cold the whole day. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/4/2024 at 3:28 PM, linux said:

Yeah, a double curl route to one side of the field is just a recipe for disaster, low reward super high risk.

But I would not worry about that, the cushion their CBs give should be a pre snap read for Quinn

Welp

All in all, great atmosphere. The alumni/general fans were fine. The college kids like any were idiots. It was really loud early on, but our guys took the fight out of them quick. What a fun day… other than being really weirdly cold the whole day. 

This.

And I’m going out on a limb here, but that stadium is seriously bad ass.
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

This.

And I’m going out on a limb here, but that stadium is seriously bad ass.

I had literal chills when I walked into the stands and got the full glimpse of the scene. And it wasn't because of the temperature.

Only two places have done that to me before, Wrigley and the Rose Bowl.

Edited by TornACL
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 9/1/2024 at 7:28 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

This is what college football should be all about. 2 blue bloods squaring off in front of 100,000 people with gameday in town and the eyes of the college football nation upon our horns. 
this squad, I believe, is really freaking good. We are going to take it to a 1 dimensional Michigan team. 
Texas is going to win and it’s going to be like Ohio State in 2005 and be the platform to launch us into a pretty special season. 
game week thoughts and articles and commentary goes here. 

F*cking nailed it.

9 hours ago, TornACL said:

I had literal chills when I walked into the stands and got the full glimpse of the scene. And it wasn't because of the temperature.

Only two places have done that to me before, Wrigley and the Rose Bowl.

denzel washington GIF

Wrigley does that to me too, every time. Lotta baseball history there, and it just does that to you. I mean you stand on the street corner “behind” where home is, and there’s where “the goat” happened. The list goes on, but there’s not many places like that left. 

The stadium was probably the best football venue ive ever been to. Getting in and out were a breeze. The fact that its built into the ground and only has one concourse is fucking awesome.

It definitely felt small because its all one giant bowl, but super cool that 111,000 packed in there

Disappointed we didnt set any attendance records

25% of the stadium was burnt orange

Went to 2 tailgates and sat with some old mich friends, all were nice and chill

Parking was easy af. Parked just over an hour before kick for free on the street less than half a mile away. Leaving was also no traffic

Ann Arbor is a nice town

Edited by GreenspointTexas

On 9/1/2024 at 10:30 AM, closetojumping said:

Did many folks watch the Michigan/Fresno game last night? 

To say that I was not impressed would be putting it lightly, and I didn’t have high expectations going into it. 

The QBs for Michigan are objectively bad. Warren would be 4th string at Texas only because I don’t think we actually have a scholarship 4th stringer. Orji isn’t a QB and Michigan appears to realize that, but no one must be willing to tell him. They hardly played him and, when they did, it was basically a Wildcat offense.

Worse than the QBs were the skill position players not named Loveland. There isn’t a single WR that played last night that would be in the Texas two deep. I know we’re deep, so that statement may not be doing their lack of talent justice. Mullings appears to be the go-to TB because Edwards still can’t run inside and they don’t seem to have much interest in running outside. 

Loveland is a true stud TE. Texas needs to take him seriously and take him away as a safety net.  If they do this, Michigan QBs will turn the ball over. 

The offensive line looked mediocre in their first game together. Fresno State wasn’t exactly living in the backfield, but Michigan wasn’t getting push and having their way, which I expected based on the breathless way the Michigan Insider guys were raving about them. 

The Michigan front looked great defensively, allowing 9 yards rushing. This is the strength of their team and it is not even close. 

The Fresno State QB is not a guy Texas would recruit and he was missing guys all night. He made the mistake of testing Will Johnson as well and I hope Texas doesn’t. Frankly, there is no need to do so.

The Michigan LBs and safeties are not fast. Sarkisian is great at picking apart mismatches like this. I’ll never forget watching him scheme to match up the Bama WRs against slow Ohio State LBs repeatedly in the 2020 season’s national title game. Knowing the speed and quickness of our receivers and watching Michigan’s Big 10 pass defense last night gave me a lot of confidence. Michigan has one LB that they rave about because he’s such a thumper. He’s a transfer from Maryland. I want to see him matched up against Texas on passing downs, please. 

The Big House isn’t particularly loud, allegedly. I’m looking forward to seeing it in person. My hope is that Texas goes up by two scores early, takes away home field advantage and forces Michigan to do something, anything on offense. 

Just reviewing this on Monday AM. Prescient CTJ. Well said. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The stadium was probably the best football venue ive ever been to. Getting in and out were a breeze. The fact that its built into the ground and only has one concourse is fucking awesome.

It definitely felt small because its all one giant bowl, but super cool that 111,000 packed in there

Disappointed we didnt set any attendance records

25% of the stadium was burnt orange

Went to 2 tailgates and sat with some old mich friends, all were nice and chill

Parking was easy af. Parked just over an hour before kick for free on the street less than half a mile away. Leaving was also no traffic

Ann Arbor is a nice town

Are you sure you did not go to College Station?