Week 2, 2024: Texas at Michigan

Wulaw Horn

2 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

I’m hoping/thinking this game is nowhere comparable to that for many reasons.

Agreed. In 2005, Texas beat the second and third best teams in the country away from Austin. Michigan isn’t that. The Columbus peeps were very annoying, though. 

12 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

does fox broadcast in true 4k? im pretty sure that espn doesnt 

Fox, NBC, and ESPN all have 4k broadcasts for specific games on YouTube TV.  The Texas-Bama game was ESPN 4K last year.

For some reason, those ESPN broadcasts don't have commercials. It just cuts to a camera view of the stadium.

“4k” on yttv is absolutely not worth it, unless you need the extra streams with it.

Very few games, and usually not the one you want.

Save that money, get a 4k apple tv, and set it to output dolby vision. It will either pass-through or upscale, depending on source.

It does a fantastic job at it, and saves you over the long run.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Gordon Shumway said:

They weren’t annoying they were fucking assholes.  

I’m fairly large. They limited themselves to “annoying” with me, other than the beer cans from the frat houses. 

The worst was a tiny woman who pushed me in the chest and asked, “What are you gonna do?” “I’m going to go celebrate a win and then get out of this shithole. Have fun staying.” She just kind of wandered off. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

“4k” on yttv is absolutely not worth it, unless you need the extra streams with it.

Save that money, get a 4k apple tv, and set it to output dolby vision. It will either pass-through or upscale, depending on source.

I have 4k Apple TV set to Dolby vision. So I’m wasting my money on the YT 4k package? Cancelling now.

Related- did anyone notice the Georgia-Clemson 4K broadcast (the one without commercials) looked like dogshit for most of the game? Colors were all washed out/pastel. Switched to ABC simulcast and it was perfect.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

If you do that what happens to the audio? I don’t have a 7+ speaker setup. I only have two front, center, and subwoofer. 

51 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

The worst was a tiny woman who pushed me in the chest and asked, “What are you gonna do?” “I’m going to go celebrate a win and then get out of this shithole. Have fun staying.” She just kind of wandered off. 

And 10 months later, she hit you up for child support?

• Haha 3

On 9/1/2024 at 2:34 PM, Rockethorn1978 said:

I expect to win and win big. I think we’re gonna get better every week 

On 9/1/2024 at 2:50 PM, South Austin said:

This is going to be like last year’s game in Tuscaloosa. Quinn is going to drag his nutsack all over the field against Michigan.

On 9/1/2024 at 3:33 PM, 6th Street said:

I'm hoping the analog is the horseshoe at night circa '05 but without the fucking degenerate Columbus townies.

We have a great start to the season with the CSU blowout, aggy losing, and when we win next weekend, Heisman talk ramps up and we probably go up in the rankings.

Really fucking sucks that YGIFS passed away just as all of this is about to go into overdrive.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Defensive Deep-Dig by Alex Dunlap on OB. He usually comes out with the OL grades the following day.

Spoiler

We're back.

As always, we'll give some quick analysis along with the tiered rankings (Now through just one game of 2024) and are derived via a proprietary scoring formula, and based on the following advanced charting statistics (please note the distinctions in how tackles, etc. are counted and why these stats will almost always differ from the official university stats and cockamamie PFF):

DEEP DIG DEFENSIVE LEGEND

DEEP-DIG-2016-OFFICIAL-Texas-Longhorns-Football-Def-DIS-LEGEND.jpg

***Also, Please note: -1 point has been added for any defensive penalty outside of defensive pass interference which is always considered a coverage burn and is not double-counted. Also, please note that missed tackles that result in blown contains are counted as blown contains (-1) and are not double-counted as both a blown contain and a missed tackle.

Also, please note that exact snap-count numbers may differ from other sources at times, as the Deep Dig does not count plays as defensive player snaps that are blown dead due to penalty, punts, opponent victory formations, opponent kneel downs, opponent spiked balls, extra points or other plays where the player is not technically playing on defense***

Defensive Snap Counts By Week and Percentage of Total Defensive Snaps Played - Through Week 1

Deep-Dig-2024-Defensive-Player-Participation.jpg

Defensive Productivity Market-Share Percentages and Snaps per Production Caused Metrics *Through Week 1* (snaps per disruption caused is colored coded from blue/best to white/median to red/worst):
Deep-Dig-2024-CSU-PROD.jpg

Quick Hits and Thoughts

If we were going to base the depth charts purely on who entered the game and when at their given positions in the base defense (there were some interesting players lining up in new spots in what appeared to be situational stuff as we'll discuss in a minute), the depth chart would look like this:

SDE: Barryn Sorrell (starter), Ethan Burke, Colton Vasek

Interior DL: Vernon Broughton/Alfred Collins (starters), Jermayne Lole, Bill Norton, Aaron Bryant/Tiaoalii Savea (third grouping), Sydir Mitchell/Alex January (fourth grouping), Jaray Bledsoe

EDGE: Trey Moore (starter), Justice Finkley, Colin Simmons (although he was technically the second EDGE in the game, but that was in a specialty dime package during the first series)

MLB: Anthony Hill (starter), Liona Lefau

WLB: David Gbenda (starter), Morice Blackwell, Ty'Anthony Smith, Derrion Gullette

OLB: Colin Simmons (sub-package)

Nickel: Jaylon Guilbeau (starter), Jahdae Barron, Jordon Johnson-Rubell

Outside corners: Malik Muhammad/Jahdae Barron (starters), Gavin Holmes, Kobe Black, Warren Roberson, Jay'Vion Cole, Wardell Mack

Safeties: Michael Taaffe/Andrew Mukuba (starters), Jelani McDonald/Derek Williams (second grouping), Xavier Filsaime

- Jermayne Lole was the first player to come in for Vernon Broughton after the first play of the second drive when Broughton got put on his back. Lole was unproductive on his small 12-snap sample and we have worries about his anchor in the run game on first blush.

- It was a tough start to the game for Broughton, and he wasn't a world-beater, but in the end his play was very encouraging, albeit against a team that wasn't necessarily projected to be able to get the push they were sometimes able to. The important thing is that Broughton has improved and flashed playmaking upside in this game that we had not seen to date. He generated a solo tackle, 2 QB pressures and one batted pass on just 21 snaps, putting his per-snap efficiency at generating production once every 5.25 snaps, a tiny sample but a giant improvement from his meager once-every-14.6 snaps a year ago. We think that this is likely to regress back to the mean to some degree as a sub-6 snaps/production score is Murphy/Sweat-level stuff as you can see on the historical precedent chart below. (For the record, 2024 players will begin getting added on to this sheet weekly in the coming weeks as they reach the 200 snaps minimum threshold). As for Broughton, though, I think we can agree it is encouraging to see a step forward in the first chance we've had to see him in 2024. He's still not a stalwart against the run, but he looks better -- and that's about as good an outcome as we reasonably hoped for.

- Aaron Bryant entered the game before Colton Vasek at the SDE. At least we think he did. From the broadcast angle it was really hard to completely verify, but the 4th play of the second drive was certainly a player with a number in the 50s wearing a white towel from the back of his pants the same way that Bryant had his towel affixed when entering the game at nose tackle in the second series of the second half. It doesn't mean anything much to Vasek, as this was likely a sub-package the team was using when it was in run downs where they had an interior DL play as the SDE on run downs.

- Jahdae Barron really does play in both the nickel and at outside corner, after starting the game at outside corner for the first two defensive series, he then moved into the nickel replacing Jaylen Guilbeau in the third.

- Barryn Sorrell's pressure helped on the Jahdae Barron INT. He didn't get home in this game (no one did), but like last year, he quietly affected the game in ways some people might not have noticed.

- Ty'Anthony Smith came in before Derrion Gullette and played next to Anthony Hill at the WLB position. He was technically the third WLB in behind Gbenda and Blackwell.

- If you were basing it on this game alone, you would say that Derek Williams is a backup at this point. That was legitimately hard to type, but we can only go based on what we've seen in one game for now and that would be the conclusion anyone would draw if we're basing things on this one game alone.

- Sark said that they were trying to play 30 guys on defense in the first half of this game, but that didn't quite come to fruition - there were 23 players who played on defense in the first half:

CB Gavin Holmes

CB Malik Muhammad

DB Jahdae Barron

DB Jaylon Guilbeau

DE Barryn Sorrell

DE Ethan Burke

DL Aaron Bryant

DL Alfred Collins

DL Bill Norton

DL Jermayne Lole

DL Vernon Broughton

EDGE Collin Simmons

EDGE Justice Finkley

EDGE Trey Moore

LB Anthony Hill

LB David Gbenda

LB Liona Lefau

LB Morice Blackwell

LB Ty'Anthony Smith

S Andrew Mukuba

S Derek Williams

S Jelani McDonald

S Michael Taaffe

- The most interesting player not seen in the first half of action on defense was Tiaoalii Savea.

- Kobe Black seems specialized at the boundary corner the same way that Gavin Holmes is specialized at the field corner, switching sides of the field to make sure he is on the boundary in-series.

- The backups showed a sub-package that looks like it will be in use versus run downs with Savea at SDE, Sydir Mitchell at nose, Alex January at DT, and Justice Finkley at the edge with three linebackers: Liona Lefau, Morice Blackwell and Colin Simmons at the overhang spot.

- It won't show up in the stat sheet, but Sydir Mitchell drew a holding penalty on a play where he would have likely made an impact against the inside run without the hold. The sheet shows him with no production, but that is a little deceiving given this fact and the fact that he really did look a little different from the others as far as simply holding the line and making his presence felt. We'll see him play more with more snaps like this.

Onward to the offense ...

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We have a great start to the season with the CSU blowout, aggy losing, and when we win next weekend, Heisman talk ramps up and we probably go up in the rankings.

Really fucking sucks that YGIFS passed away just as all of this is about to go into overdrive.

Hold up. That verbose dude actually kicked the bucket? 

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hold up. That verbose dude actually kicked the bucket? 

Yes. 

27 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

If you do that what happens to the audio? I don’t have a 7+ speaker setup. I only have two front, center, and subwoofer. 

Whatever it does now. Dolby Vision != Dolby Atmos

34 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

I have 4k Apple TV set to Dolby vision. So I’m wasting my money on the YT 4k package? Cancelling now.

Yep. Just giving them $10/mo for nothing. Extra streams notwithstanding. 

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

4K on YTTV is $4.99/mo right now (at least a few days ago).

For this game you can add it, get the 4k stream, and cancel after if you want. No commercials is also a plus for some.

Do wish there was more 4k streaming sports content but just not quite there yet.

33 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Is the story on the board somewhere?  He was like young with young kids, right?  Anything can be done to help?  I’m pretty sure I knew him IRL from tailgates 25 years ago now. 

9 minutes ago, cam4mav said:

4K on YTTV is $4.99/mo right now (at least a few days ago).

For this game you can add it, get the 4k stream, and cancel after if you want. No commercials is also a plus for some.

Do wish there was more 4k streaming sports content but just not quite there yet.

Still. Not. Worth. It.

Free? OK. $1/mo? Fuck that shit. Absolutely a waste of money at any price above $0.00. Again, excluding if you need the extra number of simultaneous streams. Sad they bundle the two together, but that's the only way they get people for 4k, else nobody would continue with it for just 4k.

Regardless of their running performance against Fresno, neither of our starting DTs did much to alleviate concern for this week’s game. Albert Collins continues to be who we thought he was regardless of the offseason optimism and the transfers didn’t impress.

My only real concern this week is the interior DL and its ability to hold up against the run.

9 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Still. Not. Worth. It.

Free? OK. $1/mo? Fuck that shit. Absolutely a waste of money at any price above $0.00. Again, excluding if you need the extra number of simultaneous streams. Sad they bundle the two together, but that's the only way they get people for 4k, else nobody would continue with it for just 4k.

And when I walk through the electronics department stores in Japan (Yodobashi Camera, BIC Camera, etc.), and see all the **8K** big-screen TVs, it's so eye-opening, I just drool.

They already broadcast in 8K and have had fiber to the doorstep for over a decade. 

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

And when I walk through the electronics department stores in Japan (Yodobashi Camera, BIC Camera, etc.), and see all the **8K** big-screen TVs, it's so eye-opening, I just drool.

They already broadcast in 8K and have had fiber to the doorstep for over a decade. 

Agreed it's mind bottling, but at the same time, think of the big major difference. Europe is getting to that point quickly as well.

The big difference? The area that has to be covered. Lot more space to fill over here, although that should absolutely not be an excuse and only a hiccup.

But nope, gotta make that stock go up a 1/4 point.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have a feeling Texas is winning this by 14+ or losing, without much grey area. I know that's antithetical to what we're used to seeing with Texas find ways to make most games close, but matchups makes fights.

Either Texas gets out in front and Michigan can't keep up and never mounts a serious challenge, or Michigan successfully plays bully ball/keep away and gets a turnover or two as Texas presses.

Texas will either win or lose, flaming hot take, I know.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Regardless of their running performance against Fresno, neither of our starting DTs did much to alleviate concern for this week’s game. Albert Collins continues to be who we thought he was regardless of the offseason optimism and the transfers didn’t impress.

My only real concern this week is the interior DL and its ability to hold up against the run.

Ok sure but what do you think about Alfred Collins? 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Maybe for you it is. I don’t see anything, so I am just assuming that this is another one of your idiotic and thoughtless posts attempting to be funny. 

I don't think you're in any position to accuse anyone of being "thoughtless" right now.

And if there's something funny about it, I don't see it.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I don't think you're in any position to accuse anyone of being "thoughtless" right now.

And if there's something funny about it, I don't see it.

Attempting to guilt-troll me over your stupid original take is a fruitless exercise. Sorry the dude passed, didn’t say anything negative about him, and I have zero obligation to worry about your feelings as some sort of bizarre attempt at an adjacency.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

I have a feeling Texas is winning this by 14+ or losing, without much grey area. I know that's antithetical to what we're used to seeing with Texas find ways to make most games close, but matchups makes fights.

Either Texas gets out in front and Michigan can't keep up and never mounts a serious challenge, or Michigan successfully plays bully ball/keep away and gets a turnover or two as Texas presses.

I'm pretty close to this as well.  I think if we can get out to a fast start Michigan is in trouble.   But if they can run the ball on us effectively (and/or do enough in the passing game to respect the pass), they could drag us into an ugly Big 10 contest where I wouldn't love our chances.  It should absolutely be a great test for our offense period.  Really interested to see how we fare against an elite D.

• Hook 'Em 1

Fresno is a good team, also can’t imagine Michigan not playing much better this weekend despite their deficiency at QB. That defense is too good for this to be a blowout win for us. But I really hope I’m wrong of course. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Surely we move ahead of fake OU after that 24-14 performance against Idaho. Right? We will be #3 tomorrow I would think. 

10 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

fake OU

I mean, the University of Oregon isn't Harvard, but unlike the University of Oklahoma their graduates and leadership can read; the school is accordingly known as UO.

4 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Their OL didn’t show me anything that should alleviate their concerns for this weeks game 

6 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

What? They held them to around 3.5 yds per attempt on over 30 rushes. CSU tried to run the ball to slow the game and keep the Texas offense off the field and they couldn't do it. DTs, including the transfers, were very good. 

Also...

• Hook 'Em 5