Week 2, 2024: Texas at Michigan

Wulaw Horn

I keep telling myself that Michigan was holding it back on Saturday trying to keep the playbook under wraps. But, I am not sure I believe it.

Texas is going to hit a few big plays which is going to make Michigan get out of its shell of ground and pound and control the clock. Not sure Michigan has it in them to go wide open.

Going to say 17-14 Michigan, Michigan’s defense is outstanding, they will keep Michigan in it and Michigans transfer kicker seems to have a leg. He kicks a long one late and Michigan pulls it out. At the end all the stats look pretty similar except Michigan has about 40 minutes of possession Both Texas TDs come on plays longer than 30 yards, both Michigan TDs are plays less than 4 yards.

Go blue. I hope y’all enjoy the northern hospitality.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Love that our team can channel the road game at Alabama last year as a blueprint for being physically and mentally prepared this week. 

Think we need to come out slinging the ball and get Quinn in a groove early. Pass to set up the run. Fresno was not afraid to throw at Will Johnson last week and had good success (until the late pick 6).

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

I have 4k Apple TV set to Dolby vision. So I’m wasting my money on the YT 4k package? Cancelling now.

Related- did anyone notice the Georgia-Clemson 4K broadcast (the one without commercials) looked like dogshit for most of the game? Colors were all washed out/pastel. Switched to ABC simulcast and it was perfect.

I just got a new TV and I spent most of the first half playing with the settings because Georgia's uniforms almost looked burnt orange.

• Rage+1 1

13 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I have a feeling Texas is winning this by 14+ or losing, without much grey area. I know that's antithetical to what we're used to seeing with Texas find ways to make most games close, but matchups makes fights.

Either Texas gets out in front and Michigan can't keep up and never mounts a serious challenge, or Michigan successfully plays bully ball/keep away and gets a turnover or two as Texas presses.

Texas will either win or lose, flaming hot take, I know.

This is how I feel about it. These takes that we are blowing them out are based on emotion. Michigan has a proven defense and Texas has a proven OL and QB. No one really knows if we can stop the run or if Michigan will be able to run the ball like it has in the past few years. If you listen to the Michigan guys they are afraid the the wrong RB will be used to try to run between the tackles. Those unknowns will be answered in the 1st quarter and one of the two teams will be exposed. That is why I believe the exposed team will lose by at least double digits.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 6

The only way this is close is if Michigan’s OL can consistently dominate our defensive front. 
Our guys turning the ball over a bunch early could also make things interesting, like the OU game last year  

Will Johnson is nice, especially in man coverage, and he might be concerning if we only had Worthy. They have holes in their secondary that we won’t even need a ton of time from the OL to exploit. On top of that, pass protection is the strength of our OL, sans DJ Campbell. 
Michigan has a great front against the run, but if they’re worried about getting torched in the pass game, how effective/aggressive will they be?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Those unknowns will be answered in the 1st quarter and one of the two teams will be exposed. That is why I believe the exposed team will lose by at least double digits.

Michigan is so damn stubborn that even if they answer the question in the first quarter they are going to continue to see if that is actually the correct answer for another 3 quarters. 

Run Mullings a bunch of times.

Put in Edwards and hope he hits a home run. 

A million passes to Colston.

Ground and pound with Orji.

Profit???? 

7 hours ago, Hermanator said:

What? They held them to around 3.5 yds per attempt on over 30 rushes. CSU tried to run the ball to slow the game and keep the Texas offense off the field and they couldn't do it. DTs, including the transfers, were very good. 

Also...

CSU had occasional success running between the tackles.  They just weren't able to exploit this consistently, in part because they couldn't threaten the Texas defense with downfield passing (all their completions were short routes) to loosen up the defense.  Texas was more than willing to give up the occasional 6 yard run in order to do other things, like keep Tory Horton under wraps.  Michigan should be a different story if for no other reason than power football is what they do.  UM will get yards on the ground unless the interior D-line gets stouter than it was last Saturday. 

I didn't see the Texas transfer DTs do much at all against CSU.  Norton only played a handful of snaps.  And I don't recall either Lole or Savea having much of an impact.  Maybe I need to watch the game again and focus on them, but I don't recall either of them doing much, including eating up blockers on a consistent basis.  

Broughton is kind of boom-or-bust.  Still comes out of his stance too high, which can lead to a lack of leverage.  But he's got nice burst and can be disruptive.  He needs to be on the field on passing downs. 

Keeping Michigan out of short yardage situations on 2nd and 3rd down is the recipe for success, and it starts with the interior D-line being stout.  Force that new, unproven Meatchicken QB to beat you.

I think I would have preferred that UM beat Fresno handily as opposed to having a tight game because it kind of served as a wake up call to Michigan.  I think their defense keeps them in it and it will be a tight game.  Texas will win if it can keep the UM running attack in relative check.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

If Texas only scores twice, you can bang my wife. She is the sturdiest woman in Palacios, TX. Enjoy. 

well....I have to say that is the most outlandish bet  since Future Man's offer a few years ago.....

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Line was sitting at -6.5 across the board, and it's now -7 or -7.5

I'm assuming books will get some nice action on Michigan +7.5. Crossing a key number. Tough to envision it going higher than that unless there is unexpected injury news.

28 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I think Texas wins, but I am worried that Texas D line just gives up long sustained drives on ground. Don’t really have a legit run stopper. Need a couple of these guys to really step up and root down. 

Same.  I was as encouraged as anyone at the way MIchigan looked offensively Saturday (particularly through 3 quarters) but it also could be a classic case of game 1 overreaction.  Remember how shitty we played through 2.5 quarters against Rice last year?  Then we played an A+ game the next week.  I absolutely like our advantages on paper and feel like -6.5 is a fair line but it's college football.  The different matchups, styles of play and uncertainty week to week as to how youth on any given team is going to perform is what makes it such a far superior product to watch than the NFL IMO.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Same.  I was as encouraged as anyone at the way MIchigan looked offensively Saturday (particularly through 3 quarters) but it also could be a classic case of game 1 overreaction.  Remember how shitty we played through 2.5 quarters against Rice last year?  Then we played an A+ game the next week.  I absolutely like our advantages on paper and feel like -6.5 is a fair line but it's college football.  The different matchups, styles of play and uncertainty week to week as to how youth on any given team is going to perform is what makes it such a far superior product to watch than the NFL IMO.

Yeah as much as I want to believe that this game will be a double digit Texas blowout given what we’ve seen so far from both teams, I’m hesitant for a few reasons. For one, teams improve most from week 1 to week 2, but that’s even more true when pertaining to a team with as much turnover as Michigan had. As it was with last year in most Texas games, Michigan likely will use a different defensive scheme that isn’t currently on film to catch us off guard, how will we adjust? Donovan Edwards put up poor numbers against Fresno St and probably won’t have back to back poor showings unless he’s dealing with a lingering injury. Back in 2021 I also have PTSD from watching Arkansas look awful against Rice in week 1, only for Arkansas to blow out Texas in week 2. 

I still think Texas wins, but I can’t preemptively pencil in this W because I’ve been burned before 

• Hook 'Em 2

I understand the rationale, but Texas laying 7 or 7.5 on the road to the defending national champs who are 40-3 in their last 43 games seems crazy. I also get the Alabama parallels from last year, but it takes a different of a mentality to go in as the favorite instead of going in as the underdog. I don't care how many players they had to replace or how many coaches have moved on, anybody expecting anything but a dogfight is either a massive homer or hasn't been following college football for very long. 

I also just checked the prediction thread and Helobious picked Texas to win 31-7. We are proper fucked.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 4

46 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

well....I have to say that is the most outlandish bet  since Future Man's offer a few years ago.....

Entirely possible he wants to lose that bet.  As much as his wife does. 

Edited by Bert Orange
  • Haha 9

One thing I like from Texas' standpoint is that most of this team went through a similar road experience last season (Bama) and came through with flying colors.  This won't be the first time most of these kids have experienced a hyped up crowd and top-10 quality opponent on the road.  It will help.  

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, freyguy said:

We're gonna score 40+ on Saturday.  Good luck keeping up wolverines....

I would be very pleasantly shocked if we put up 40 against the Michigan D absent +3 in TO battle and/or defense/special team TD's.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, WBT said:

McConaughey is great and all, but we need some more celebrity blood around.

I also realized after the press conference that I’m underestimating Michigan. Because they lost so much talent and their coach, I thought they would struggle. But 40-3 and a reminder that Larry Coker and Barry Switzer won a title with Jimmie’s players has me realizing Michigan is gong to be ready. Good news is that it’s clear Sark understands that. 

2 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

I’m cautiously optimistic that Texas can win this game. 

Texas D looks better than last season (at the same point) and the offense is in a much better place.

Texas by 7.

We have all been concerned about how we could stop Michigan from running it down our throat after losing Sweat and Murphy and rightfully so. But these guys couldn’t run it on Fresno St.  I think we only lose this game if we start turning it over because I cannot see Michigan scoring in the 20’s in this game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

I am worried that Texas D line just gives up long sustained drives on ground.

Why?

I am not saying it 100% won't happen, but there are some very good reasons to think it is unlikely. This isn't Michigan from the past 3 years. This is a brand new o-line with (I am pretty sure) 2 true freshman Tackles. I am sure these guys were all quality recruits, but if they can manhandle Texas in their 2nd start, that would be an absolute shock. Especially since we are going to stack the box against the run. Why? To force them to pass. They are starting a walk-on QB who (because of his own health reasons & covid) really hasn't played much football. Their other option at QB throws like a drunk DJ U. Their 'stud' running back (who was on the cover of CFB 25) just ran for 27 yards on 11 carries against Fresno State. 

If it happens, this will be one of the most surprising Texas losses of our collective lifetimes. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

They talk about the Texas game at about the 24 minute mark. 

Although they plan to have a more detailed breakdown later in the week, I was kind of surprised how little they discussed how both teams matched up. I understand that it's a Michigan channel but you still want to acknowledge that the other team has agency. 

They're still licking their wounds and processing that Fresno State game and hoping that the first game isn't an indicator of how their year will go. 

2 hours ago, Josef Pwag said:

If Texas only scores twice, you can bang my wife. She is the sturdiest woman in Palacios, TX. Enjoy. 

I just let Palacios this morning, saw of sturdy women there this weekend. 

Interesting note from The Athletic

It’s also one of the biggest nonconference games in the storied stadium’s history: The Longhorns are the first non-Big Ten team ranked in the AP top five to visit Michigan Stadium since Notre Dame in 1992.

Top-10 nonconference visitors

Year Team Result

2019 Notre Dame (AP No. 8) W, 45-14

1997 Colorado (8) W, 27-3

1994 Colorado (7) L, 27-26

1992 Notre Dame (3) T, 17-17

1991 Florida State (1) L, 51-31

1991 Notre Dame (7) W, 24-14

1989 Notre Dame (1) L, 24-19

1988 Miami (1) L, 31-30

1984 Miami (1) W, 22-14

1981 Notre Dame (1) W, 25-7

1979 Notre Dame (9) L, 12-10

1977 Texas A&M (5) W, 41-3

1975 Missouri (5) W, 31-7

Since 1970

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5740008/2024/09/03/michigan-big-house-college-football-largest-stadium/

Spoiler

How Michigan built the Big House, a symbol of college football controversy and lore

Austin Meek

ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Before the first scoop of dirt was raised from the farmstead where Michigan Stadium was built, controversy was brewing about the professionalization of college sports.

By 1926, Michigan’s football program had outgrown Ferry Field, where big games prompted far more demand than the 42,000-seat stadium could accommodate. Fielding Yost, Michigan’s athletic director and the coach of the famous “Point-a-Minute” teams that dominated college football in the early 1900s, was the chief advocate for building a new stadium, just as many of Michigan’s competitors had done.

Yost’s proposals sparked mixed reactions from the campus community. Many supported the idea, but some faculty members protested that a bigger stadium would deepen the divide between football and the university’s academic mission. In a victory for Yost, a faculty committee issued a report that generally endorsed his view that intercollegiate athletics could contribute to a thriving campus. The report also raised a note of caution about the win-at-all-costs culture that could arise as football became more popular.

“One of the most serious difficulties in intercollegiate football at the present time is the insistence of the alumni upon winning teams,” the report said, as recounted in Robert Soderstrom’s book “The Big House: Fielding Yost and the Building of Michigan Stadium.” “Efforts must be made to keep alumni opinion essentially sane and conservative in matters of athletic policy. Excessive and unwise publicity is a general evil.”

Today, there’s no greater spectacle on Michigan’s campus than a big game at the Big House. Michigan Stadium will be the center of the college football world Saturday as Fox’s “Big Noon Kickoff,” ESPN’s “College Gameday” and upward of 110,000 fans converge on Ann Arbor for a matchup between No. 4 Texas and No. 9 Michigan, one of the first Big Ten-SEC showdowns since both mega-conferences expanded. It’s also one of the biggest nonconference games in the storied stadium’s history: The Longhorns are the first non-Big Ten team ranked in the AP top five to visit Michigan Stadium since Notre Dame in 1992.

The 2024 season is a groundbreaking one for Michigan and college football as a whole, as the reigning national champions enter the era of the 12-team College Football Playoff with a new head coach in Sherrone Moore. NIL has altered the economic landscape of the sport, and revenue sharing with athletes is right around the corner. The debate that raged on Michigan’s campus in the 1920s never really ended; it only got louder.

“What will a larger stadium mean? It will only mean greater Roman holidays than we now have,” professor Robert C. Angell wrote in the Michigan Daily in 1925. “The players themselves will be forced into even more rigorous training than they are now subjected to. We have spring football now; we will have winter football soon. These men will think and act football the year round.”

The history of Michigan Stadium is, in some ways, a history of college football’s tug-of-war between innovation and tradition. The stadium opened in 1927 with temporary bleachers that increased capacity to 85,000, making it the largest college-owned stadium in the country. To pay for it, Michigan issued 3,000 bonds to the community at $500 apiece.

Many of the stadium’s seats sat empty during the Great Depression, but the end of World War II brought renewed enthusiasm for college football. Fritz Crisler, coach of the undefeated “Mad Magicians” of 1947, succeeded Yost as athletic director and oversaw two expansions that pushed Michigan Stadium’s capacity past 100,000.

Crisler, the man who introduced platoon football and the winged helmet, was both a forward-thinker and a traditionalist. Before he went to the University of Chicago and played for Amos Alonzo Stagg, Crisler thought about becoming a pastor, his grandson said. He found a different calling as a coach and athletic director but retained a spiritual outlook on the value of football.

“My recollection is, although he thought winning was important and he wanted to win, it was not the main focus of what athletics were to him,” said Crisler’s grandson, F. Adams Crisler. “He always thought in terms of, at least as he told me, the mind, body and spirit of an athlete.”

In 1956, Crisler oversaw the construction of a new press box and additional seating that raised the stadium capacity to 101,001. The final digit was not a mistake: According to newspaper reports at the time, Crisler initially intended capacity to be 100,001, with a mysterious extra seat tucked away somewhere in the stadium.

“It has its spot,” Crisler told Sports Illustrated in 1963. “And I am the only man who knows where that spot is.”

Many theories have been offered about the location and the significance of the extra seat. Some claimed it was set aside for Stagg, Crisler’s coach. Others said it was dedicated to Yost, who died in 1946, or reserved for Crisler himself. As a child, Adams Crisler climbed a ladder to the roof of the press box and surveyed the entire stadium, hoping to spot the seat in some hidden location. He never found it, and his grandfather never gave him any clues.

“You’ve just got to find it,” Adams Crisler recalled his grandfather saying. “When you think you find it, you let me know.”

As a student at Michigan, Adams Crisler had a summer job replacing the stadium’s concrete steps. He held out hope the crew would discover a lone seat hidden in some secret passageway, but no such seat was found. Since then, Adams Crisler has been agnostic about the existence of the seat, though he appreciates its place in Michigan Stadium lore.

“It captivated imaginations,” he said. “It wouldn’t surprise me if there was that seat, but it wouldn’t surprise me if there wasn’t.”

The stadium’s seating capacity, now listed at 107,601, has fluctuated through the years, but the “01” remains as a nod to Crisler’s famous seat. It’s one of those traditions, like announcing the Slippery Rock score or players touching the M Club banner, that has weathered decades of change to both the sport and the stadium.

Don Canham, who succeeded Crisler as athletic director, is widely credited with marketing Michigan football to the masses and ushering in a new era of commercial success that coincided with Bo Schembechler’s tenure as coach. After years of sagging attendance, the stands were full again in the 1970s and 1980s. ABC broadcaster Keith Jackson, the voice of college football for generations, popularized a nickname that stuck: The Big House.

“This is no doubt my favorite place, to see four generations rise up and appreciate it, for the pageantry, the ambience,” Jackson told The New York Times before a 1998 game at Michigan Stadium, where the band feted the broadcaster, who had been planning to retire, by spelling out “THANKS KEITH” on the field. “Michigan has such grandiosity.”

The purity and pageantry of college football have always existed in an awkward embrace with the commercial side of the sport. Both aspects will be front and center in 2024 as teams like Texas and Michigan, representatives of college football’s super conferences, compete for spots in the expanded CFP.

The Wolverines will play Big Ten games against USC, Washington and Oregon and could host a Playoff game at Michigan Stadium for the first time in school history. The Ohio State rivalry, still in its customary spot on the final Saturday of the regular season, could be repeated a week later if both teams make the Big Ten championship game. And in a development that might have horrified Fritz Crisler, fans can now buy beer at Michigan Stadium.

“He was one that was not that crazy about pro football or commercialism in sports,” Adams Crisler said. “He made a comment that the purpose of pro football was to sell beer. He greatly disliked beer, so he didn’t have a lot of use for the pro game.”

Even so, Adams Crisler thinks his grandfather would be proud to see Michigan Stadium as it stands today. Especially one part of it: the new signs beneath the video boards celebrating the 2023 CFP championship.

“He would have loved to see this last year’s national championship team and the kind of precision they had and the types of plays that they used,” Adams Crisler said. “He would have been amazed and happy with it.”

• Hook 'Em 1