Week 2, 2024: Texas at Michigan

Wulaw Horn

17 minutes ago, The Dog said:

They talk about the Texas game at about the 24 minute mark. 

...and pretty much the first thing they say is, "Based on what we saw last week, can this Michigan offense improve enough over the next 5 days to give them a chance to win this game?" These guys really feel their defense, anchored by their 2 stud DTs and their elite CB, will keep them in this no matter what. 

9 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

...and pretty much the first thing they say is, "Based on what we saw last week, can this Michigan offense improve enough over the next 5 days to give them a chance to win this game?" These guys really feel their defense, anchored by their 2 stud DTs and their elite CB, will keep them in this no matter what. 

I get it. If you are were a Michigan fan watching the CSU game. They probably thought Texas did not look physical on the LOS. 

12 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

I don't think that is an unreasonable belief. I also think and hope it will not be enough. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Kwiatkowski defenses have been notorious in the past for their inability to get off the field on 3rd down. Hopefully the Nansen guy from AZ has tightened things up in the regard.

They were, that wasn't the case last year and highly doubt that ever rears its ugly head again. They were bad because the defense had LOFT disease, that is no longer the case.

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

We have all been concerned about how we could stop Michigan from running it down our throat after losing Sweat and Murphy and rightfully so. But these guys couldn’t run it on Fresno St.  I think we only lose this game if we start turning it over because I cannot see Michigan scoring in the 20’s in this game. 

I get all that. And Texas is LOOOOOOADED with talent while the draft RAPED Michigan. 

Still, Michigan has a ton of talent and did not exactly show their full repertoire last week any more than we did, they were just playing a better opponent.

i say we win by 7. 28-21 type of score. I hope we beat their fucking brakes off. Hell, I just hope I get to watch the game (I’m on call this weekend).

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 2:50 PM, South Austin said:

This is going to be like last year’s game in Tuscaloosa. Quinn is going to drag his nutsack all over the field against Michigan.

What I liked the best against CSU was the RZ effeciency. Quinn never showed that last year and if he did, we'd have put a 50 burger on Alabama. We left 2-3 TDs on the field with a bad RZ performance. I think if Quinn and the offense has turned that corner, we are going to put a big number on Michigan. Hell, we didn't even try to get the ball to Niblack or Bolden. We can send waves of elite skill position talent at defenses. This is a big game for our IOL to show if they have a shot at the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 2

He says he is confident.

4878681.png

Warren is embracing his role as the underdog in the fight. Although he admittedly carries a bit of a chip on his shoulder as a former walk-on, Warren says that he draws a lot of confidence from his level of preparation for moments like this.

"Just sticking to what I know, sticking to the process, Warren said. "It started when I was a freshman sitting there and watching film with Cade [McNamara] until 10 or 11 at night even though I knew I was never going to play, just so I could learn as much as I could from him and how he watched film and how he understood the game. Same thing when I was the back-up to J.J. [McCarthy] and preparing if something happened to him so that I was ready to go.

"It's just taking it a step up being the starter now, envisioning being out there, envisioning the crowd. Texas on the other side of the ball and their defense, and what we think we're going to see and what we're going to do on offense. That's a huge part of my mental preparation... put my headphones in, envision the crowd and things like that. Even as I said, envision the nerves and be ready to do whatever it takes to win the game. Go through each play and know that I can operate at a high level for this offense and keep us moving down the field and making plays."

I'm reading and hearing a lot of thinking around the notion that Michigan "held a lot back" against Fresno.

I can follow that from the defensive perspective and agree. Fine. I also know that Martindale is going to blitz ridiculous amount of time and he's very likely to do it a bunch with Barham, the Maryland LB transfer. They think he's a great blitzer, so that is a Martindale wet dream. Ewers' numbers when blitzed drop off historically, so that adds to that interest. I expect to see plenty of mugged fronts and weird looks before a few drop back and 1 or 2 come from different places until Ewers handles it. Not incredibly bold to think that.

Now, on offense, I'm interested in understanding what in the fuck they were holding back. They tried shit with Orji, they were breaking in new players everywhere (including a new QB), they barely led 13-3 after 3 quarters. They weren't holding back a fucking thing. That was an offense trying to figure out how to play together and also get a win. 

I'm assuming this will be a close game, but I'm also not sure how Michigan is going to score barring short fields via turnover. They're slow at WR, they're inexperienced at QB and OL, they have a big name back that looks pedestrian, and then you have the star TE that isn't a secret. They're going to sustain a bunch of drives because Texas lacks Sweat and Murphy? Okay.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm reading and hearing a lot of thinking around the notion that Michigan "held a lot back" against Fresno.

I can follow that from the defensive perspective and agree. Fine. I also know that Martindale is going to blitz ridiculous amount of time and he's very likely to do it a bunch with Barham, the Maryland LB transfer. They think he's a great blitzer, so that is a Martindale wet dream. Ewers' numbers when blitzed drop off historically, so that adds to that interest. I expect to see plenty of mugged fronts and weird looks before a few drop back and 1 or 2 come from different places until Ewers handles it. Not incredibly bold to think that.

Now, on offense, I'm interested in understanding what in the fuck they were holding back. They tried shit with Orji, they were breaking in new players everywhere (including a new QB), they barely led 13-3 after 3 quarters. They weren't holding back a fucking thing. That was an offense trying to figure out how to play together and also get a win. 

I'm assuming this will be a close game, but I'm also not sure how Michigan is going to score barring short fields via turnover. They're slow at WR, they're inexperienced at QB and OL, they have a big name back that looks pedestrian, and then you have the star TE that isn't a secret. They're going to sustain a bunch of drives because Texas lacks Sweat and Murphy? Okay.

I was thinking if Michigan should play 2023 Texas defense. Play coverage and ask their 2 beasts in the middle to handle the run game. I just do not think that is in Wink's DNA. Some blitzes will get home but give up a couple explosives (especially early) and the game could get out of hand for Michigan. 

Only change I could see offensively out of Michigan is a heavy option game plan using Orji. Warren was in start 1, so he will probably be better, but I cant see him improving enough to make the passing game anything more than a C-. If Texas contains the run, I cant see Michigan scoring 20 without turnovers/special teams. 

Edited by Codaxx

3 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

well....I have to say that is the most outlandish bet  since Future Man's offer a few years ago.....

Some people did not read eat dog shit out of red cup post or the guy is confident that once the poster he was responding to has a look at his wife will turn him down.

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They're going to sustain a bunch of drives because Texas lacks Sweat and Murphy? Okay.

Their media has to provide some explanation for how they will move the ball and this is the most viable one they have developed.

I’m more interested in the Texas O vs. Michigan D.  Michigan also lost a ton on this side of the ball including the entire defensive staff and 7 starters plus the guy they thought was going to replace their nickel back.

57 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

What I liked the best against CSU was the RZ effeciency. Quinn never showed that last year and if he did, we'd have put a 50 burger on Alabama. We left 2-3 TDs on the field with a bad RZ performance. I think if Quinn and the offense has turned that corner, we are going to put a big number on Michigan. Hell, we didn't even try to get the ball to Niblack or Bolden. We can send waves of elite skill position talent at defenses. This is a big game for our IOL to show if they have a shot at the NFL.

The point about Niblack is a good one. If we held back anything on offense, it’s not using Niblack. Bolden too, but we have speed in multiple spots

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

Quinn gets a boner for these games and Rod Babers who is usually Mr. Negativity  is absolutely giddy about this team.

Rod loves multiplicity, so naturally he loves the exotic looks Nansen is cooking up

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Now, on offense, I'm interested in understanding what in the fuck they were holding back. They tried shit with Orji, they were breaking in new players everywhere (including a new QB), they barely led 13-3 after 3 quarters.

Exactly. It was a 6 point game until about 6 minutes left in the 4th qtr. If you are the defending national champ at home, and halfway through the 4th you are only up by 6, you aren't holding anything back. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I can follow that from the defensive perspective and agree. Fine. I also know that Martindale is going to blitz ridiculous amount of time

They had a 60% blitz rate vs Fresno.  They weren't holding back.

1 minute ago, Gravy Train said:

So far it's a lower chance of rain in the morning that diminishes to zero before the kick.  The cold snap changes my game attire slightly.

Just potential for a wet ball and strong winds, but weather predictions 4 days out are not usually very reliable. 

On 9/1/2024 at 12:33 PM, FreeHorn said:

My biggest surprise was Fresno going at Will Johnson. He made the play to seal the game but he also got beat several times that would have resulted in multiple scores if Fresno has a decent QB. They played him man-free a lot and he was jumping routes, so the double moves were pretty effective. Safety position seemed slow. I expect Texas to see much more zone behind pressure looks cause going man would allow Sark to hunt matchups. 

I don’t see Texas running the ball a lot, but will use the RPO and short passing game to replace it. 

IMO I think our strategy should be to go after him as well and flood his zone with concepts. Not necessarily challenge him 1 on 1 but more so his zone side of the defense with how they do their zone pressure scheme. Make him work all game and in doing so that will create more 1 on 1 situations backside that we could take advantage of with pure speed from say a Bond/Wingo. We will definitely have to setup our run with pass or even use passing concepts as extension of the run game with quick hitters to our backs/Silas in space. 

YAC will be the key....

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

CFB Nerds

I also like seeing that.

I got to the part where he says Ewers can't throw the deep ball and our receivers didn't look as good as last year, particularly in terms of separation. I have no idea what he was watching if he felt that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

I got to the part where he says Ewers can't throw the deep ball and our receivers didn't look as good as last year, particularly in terms of separation. I have no idea what he was watching if he felt that. 

I thought what they said was fair as they elaborated.   Ewers has been historically pretty damn inconsistent on his deep balls.  TBD this year whether that consistency has improved.   And I think it's also fair to say that that it is unknown to what extent there is a drop off at receiver (and TE) after losing 4 players that made an NFL roster.  I know we all feel pretty great about our WR room, and it definitely appears to be deeper than it has been under Sark, but we lost a bunch of proven (at Texas) talent.  It's not high on my list of concerns at all but it's a fair talking point.  If we can throw for 250+ against this D then any of those questions will be put to bed on Saturday.

8 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Babers had a boner for the receivers because he felt like they could all hurt defenses big time.  I sure hope the rest of the Michigan defense shows that kind of hubris.

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I thought what they said was fair as they elaborated.   Ewers has been historically pretty damn inconsistent on his deep balls.  TBD this year whether that consistency has improved.   And I think it's also fair to say that that it is unknown to what extent there is a drop off at receiver (and TE) after losing 4 players that made an NFL roster.  I know we all feel pretty great about our WR room, and it definitely appears to be deeper than it has been under Sark, but we lost a bunch of proven (at Texas) talent.  It's not high on my list of concerns at all but it's a fair talking point.  If we can throw for 250+ against this D then any of those questions will be put to bed on Saturday.

I'm sorry, there is no universe where you can watch the receivers we had on Saturday and think "separation is going to be a problem." That is just a lazy take looking purely at what we lost in the draft. We are very clearly are faster overall this year at receiver even losing the fastest guy in football. Guys were easily getting separation both with speed and with good route running. Now, whether we have guys that are going to be making contested catches or winning jump balls is something you can legitimately question to some extent.   

• Hook 'Em 3

Separation won't be a problem. Keeping the pocket clean will be the tougher ask as Wink Martindale will blitz early and often to try to confuse Ewers and keep him from stepping into his throws. More quick 5-10 yard throws should help, as will some misdirection/PA.  Also need Quinn to adjust his arm angle higher to keep those big DL from batting down passes.

• Hook 'Em 5

18 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

I still don't understand how that kick wasn't blocked.

It was and just barely made it over the crossbar. If you watch closely (not in this clip) you'll see some Michigan players celebrating like they'd won the game at first before realizing they didn't get enough of it to keep the kick from going through.

Edited by The Dog
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I'm sorry, there is no universe where you can watch the receivers we had on Saturday and think "separation is going to be a problem." That is just a lazy take looking purely at what we lost in the draft. We are very clearly are faster overall this year at receiver even losing the fastest guy in football. Guys were easily getting separation both with speed and with good route running. Now, whether we have guys that are going to be making contested catches or winning jump balls is something you can legitimately question to some extent.   

Bond can run with anybody. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

CSU had occasional success running between the tackles.  They just weren't able to exploit this consistently, in part because they couldn't threaten the Texas defense with downfield passing (all their completions were short routes) to loosen up the defense.  Texas was more than willing to give up the occasional 6 yard run in order to do other things, like keep Tory Horton under wraps.  Michigan should be a different story if for no other reason than power football is what they do.  UM will get yards on the ground unless the interior D-line gets stouter than it was last Saturday. 

I didn't see the Texas transfer DTs do much at all against CSU.  Norton only played a handful of snaps.  And I don't recall either Lole or Savea having much of an impact.  Maybe I need to watch the game again and focus on them, but I don't recall either of them doing much, including eating up blockers on a consistent basis.  

Broughton is kind of boom-or-bust.  Still comes out of his stance too high, which can lead to a lack of leverage.  But he's got nice burst and can be disruptive.  He needs to be on the field on passing downs. 

Keeping Michigan out of short yardage situations on 2nd and 3rd down is the recipe for success, and it starts with the interior D-line being stout.  Force that new, unproven Meatchicken QB to beat you.

I think I would have preferred that UM beat Fresno handily as opposed to having a tight game because it kind of served as a wake up call to Michigan.  I think their defense keeps them in it and it will be a tight game.  Texas will win if it can keep the UM running attack in relative check.

It's not in isolation. Their 2 longest runs were due to LBs missing gap assignment, the longest run being on Anthony Hill. As far as I could tell the DTs held up inside and didn't give up much push at all. They didn't really make many plays either which could be a negative but I'm not sure what they're expected to do based on scheme the majority of the time. It's a difficult position to judge if they aren't getting blown off the ball without the aid of knowing scheme responsibilities and All 22 film. 

I felt our OL and running game was actually worse than the DL and run defense. The raw numbers look pretty good but their run efficiency was poor given the opponent. The percentage of runs that went for 3 yds or less without getting either a first down or TD was around 55 percent. Need to get that down to about 40 percent to get a great running game going. 

15 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, I'm not really impressed with this guy's commentary. He looked at roster departures and just decided Texas lost talent last year and there is no way the group as a whole is as talented right?? It's not hard to see the group has a major speed upgrade as a whole but less of a jump ball presence. I've yet to see a big 10 linebacker that can operate well in space. I've also really not seen a Big 10 team outside of last year's Michigan defense that was capable of defending a sophisticated passing attack. No one in the old Big 10 runs a sophisticated passing offense because good luck throwing the ball when it's snowing and windy in November and December. It's clear the defense this year is not the same as last year.

If Michigan wants to blitz Quinn that's a good place to start, but it seems like the obvious gameplan choice for Michigan. Sark should be prepared for it. Texas made a lot of money last year with running back swing passes and WR screens. If we're smart enough to ditch the slow-developing plays then we should be able to move the ball consistently.

20 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It's not in isolation. Their 2 longest runs were due to LBs missing gap assignment, the longest run being on Anthony Hill. As far as I could tell the DTs held up inside and didn't give up much push at all. They didn't really make many plays either which could be a negative but I'm not sure what they're expected to do based on scheme the majority of the time. It's a difficult position to judge if they aren't getting blown off the ball without the aid of knowing scheme responsibilities and All 22 film. 

I felt our OL and running game was actually worse than the DL and run defense. The raw numbers look pretty good but their run efficiency was poor given the opponent. The percentage of runs that went for 3 yds or less without getting either a first down or TD was around 55 percent. Need to get that down to about 40 percent to get a great running game going. 

It was 52-0, so this obviously being over-critical, but neither played consistently on the other side of the LOS. You would have liked to see them be a bit more dominant vs a weaker opponent. Played solid, but far from dominant. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

First quarter needs to be lots of quick slants, TE dumps with wide side screens and some RB draws to pull their linebackers from overly blitzing. Offense is going to have to be patient and not turn the ball over. Time of possession in 1st half will be critical to keep the crowd out of it.

Looking forward to a 2-touchdown win.

• Hook 'Em 2