Immamacs family adventure from Fargo to Ann Arbor for the Michigan Game

immamac

6 hours ago, immamac said:

We set off this morning after a family breakfast in Fargo. 

We have arrived in Duluth Minnesota. I've never been here or seen Lake Superior. 

20240901_115824.jpg20240901_120205.jpg

gonna hit up the lake superior museum and this ship tour where you can do a 45-60 minute tour of an old shipping vessel the SS William A Irvin.

https://decc.org/william-a-irvin/

IMG_5322.webp

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Sweet! You know I'm going to have some unsolicited advice for you. 

Tomorrow is the annual bridge walk on the Mac bridge. I'm not sure what your schedule is like but I would try to avoid it, it will be a disaster. 

Check out Castle Rock on St. Ignace on the UP side of the bridge. It's a hokey tourist trap but your boy will probably dig taking a picture with the giant Paul Bunyan and climbing up to the lookout. The local delicacy is a pasty. It's just a meat pie with gravy and vegetables but people love them up there for some reason. 

Avoid Mackinaw City. The island is pretty touristy and not my favorite thing and Mac City is like a cheaper more touristy version but without horses.

The best part of the State imo is the Northern lower in the summer. Petoskey, Chalevoix, Traverse City, Torch Lake, Harbor Springs, Glen Arbor all beautiful. Stuff for kids to do in most of the above. Shorts brewery is in Bellaire on Torch Lake. Dockside is a burger bar with a nice patio on the lake and fun to watch the boats pull up and go by. 

There is an indoor water park and new giant Sky bridge with a view at Boyne Mountain. You might already see some fall colors this time of year.

If you only have time to do one stop I would do Traverse City or Petoskey. Both great towns with plenty to do. Traverse City has a better beach and beach facilities. There is also a strip in Acme on your way into TC that has hokey shit for the kids. Pirate's Cove Adventure golf, zip lines etc. Don's drive inn for burgers and milkshakes. 

Oh and Sleeping Bear dunes. You will be shocked that Michigan has scenery that looks like that. 

Have fun!

• Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

I got so high on that island, missed the last tourist ferry. Had to wander around until the worker ferry took us to the LP. Problem was our car was on the other side. Damn that was a fun day.

Go to Rifle Ridge road. See if you can find my glass bowl there.

Funny I burned a bunch of pre rolls there on some great Adirondacks w the Mrs looking at the water.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Alien Octopus said:

Funny I burned a bunch of pre rolls there on some great Adirondacks w the Mrs looking at the water.  

We wandered, smoked, got lost. had two dogs with us. One of them snagged some scrambled eggs when we were cleaning up our camp site at Big Bear. He rips a terrible fart on the ferry going over to the island. Everyone glared at us until we went and sat at the back of the ferry. The exhaust was better than the putrid smell that came out of that mutt.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, sailorhorn said:

Met with Mackinac Island Ferry Co. today in St.Ingnace about some work on their ferries. You probably went to the island on one.

Won't get there till Wednesday. I confused some people in the earlier post. When we do stay there we are staying at Grand Hotel. 

If youre still in Duluth, this is a pretty popular sandwich restaurant:

https://northernwaterssmokehaus.com its a hole in the wall joint located in canal park.  ive only been once, pretty good sandwiches. especially if youre a fish eater. I think it was on diners, drive ins and dives

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

9 hours ago, sailorhorn said:

Met with Mackinac Island Ferry Co. today in St.Ingnace about some work on their ferries. You probably went to the island on one.

Username checks out. 

Since you’re taking the slow route I highly recommend when you get to Mackinaw hugging the west side of the state on your way down. Boyne City is great, Petosky (petosky stones are fun for kids), sleeping bear dunes, Traverse City. You could even rent a boat and go out on Lake Charlevoix. I spent a week or two every summer as a kid in Northern Michigan; there is tons of stuff to do up there. 

1 hour ago, gernblansten said:
18 hours ago, immamac said:

Wife had the walleye hash. 

A little penicillin will clear that right up and you can get back in there, but just do mouth and hand stuff for the next week. 

Hand to mouth is how she got the hash, though.

22 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

11% of the land, 3% of the people, they are called "yoopers"

When the Michigan Territory was first established in 1805, it included only the Lower Peninsula and the eastern portion of the Upper Peninsula. In 1819, the territory was expanded to include the remainder of the Upper Peninsula, all of what later became Wisconsin, and part of Minnesota (previously included in the Indiana and Illinois Territories). When Michigan applied for statehood in the 1830s, the proposal corresponded to the original territorial boundaries. However, there was an armed conflict known as the Toledo War with the state of Ohio over the location of their mutual border. Meanwhile, the people of Michigan approved a constitution in May 1835 and elected state officials in late autumn 1835. Although the state government was not yet recognized by the United States Congress, the territorial government effectively ceased to exist. President Andrew Jackson's government offered the remainder of the Upper Peninsula to Michigan if it would cede the Toledo Strip to Ohio. A constitutional convention of the state legislature refused, but a second convention, hastily convened by Governor Stevens Thomson Mason, consisting primarily of his supporters, agreed in December 1836 to the deal. In January 1837, the U.S. Congress admitted Michigan as a state of the Union.

tl/dr: michigan traded toledo to ohio for the UP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeZ0BUc3kMw&list=RDEMmiWuh0wWjKEGmAXfqd_38g&start_radio=1

On 9/1/2024 at 12:42 PM, immamac said:

We are staying at The Grand Hotel in Mackinac Island. Stay tuned. 

Lunch @ the boat club

20240901_123332.jpg

20240901_122452.jpg

20240901_124055.jpg

Mackinac Island... such great place to ride a bike around that island!!!  Kids love the horse-drawn carriages and fudge shops...  🤘 

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

Made it to a lunch spot with WiFi. Quick update. 

Moving slow this morning. Kids woke up early so we traded naps and had a bit of a lazy morning and drove to the southern point of the duluth. Card found. 

Drive was very scenic with views of the lake through the trees and gaps. 

20240902_121000.jpg20240902_121404.jpg20240902_123853.jpg

a very American farmer out with his tractor and American flag

20240902_123039.jpg

Getting the Fisherman's dinner here 

20240902_131316.jpg20240902_131319.jpg

20240902_131437.jpg

20240902_130944.jpg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, immamac said:

Tomorrow is bayfield Wisconsin and the apostle islands. 

Went to a Mexican restaurant because my oldest, Gunnar wanted queso so bad. It was actually run by real Mexicans, solid 7/10. 

Sometimes they are sending their best

59 minutes ago, Bevo said:

What am I looking at?

Bloody Mary.  It's a breakfast spot.

59 minutes ago, Underdog said:

A woman’s cocktail.

GDit, Henry! 

Well that particular one is made with Tattersal Aquavit, so if can find a woman who will drink and enjoy it, keep her.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Bloody Mary.  It's a breakfast spot.

Well that particular one is made with Tattersal Aquavit, so if can find a woman who will drink and enjoy it, keep her.

Holy shit.  The GF is 100% danish, and she starts pouring that horrible shit around the holidays.  

• Haha 1