ESPN Channels and Disney owned ABC affiliates pulled from DirecTV right now

Macklemore

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I still have Directv and lost ESPN but I went to the ESPN app on my TV and it lets me stream the FSU game in Spanish but not in English.  WTF?

La retransmisión en español de los partidos de Texas es fuego.  Fuego, digo.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

SCHN does not have a standalone direct to consumer option like Bally’s. I hear what you’re saying overall. This might be the straw that breaks the camel’s back for me. YouTubeTV is the best overall option and probably be cheaper to have YouTubeTV AND Fubo accounts going at the same time but if you can’t see how much of a fucking hassle and flood of complaints and bitching I’d get from the wife then I don’t know what to tell you.

I thought the same thing for years. Guess what? She got over it pretty quick when I told her it was saving over $200/mo.

It’s just so damn frustrating seeing decent people pissing their money away at directv.

ETA: Max app (or add-on with fubo/yttv for the channels, AND you get Max access too.)

Edited by thunderlounge
addition
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I still have Directv and lost ESPN but I went to the ESPN app on my TV and it lets me stream the FSU game in Spanish but not in English.  WTF?

Fuck Bill O’Brian btw. He’s y’all’s problem now. The only person I have hated more in sports is Bud Adams.

Edited by Macklemore

19 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

ESPN really needs to give ESPN plus customers the ability to stream all content.

They’re working on standalone streaming of mouse-owned sports content (abc/espn-family channels.)

If the whole thing with fox and whoever else was looking at $40-$45/mo, I’d think espn stuff on it’s would be $30-$35 maybe?

Hard to guess, really, but But if all for the first price, espn stuff (guessing it would be the majority of the combined platform) getting carved out on its own would/should be less than that. How much less is the question. 

5 minutes ago, Bamboozled73 said:

You own or work at a bar?

No, I just enjoy watching 3 games at a time on Saturdays and Sundays and it’s a great setup during baseball and basketball season. I can watch a show or movie with the wife and at the same time have the Astros, Rockets or some other game I’m interested on the 2 smaller TVs. It’s choice, I highly recommend it and it reduces complaints from the wife since we can watch something together and talk about the show or movie while I also get to stay on top of the Astros and Rockets games.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Underdog said:

image.jpeg.9ddc812477582b6a64050c96b62390e9.jpeg

Is that supposed to mean the grass isn’t always greener on the other side or watching TV is like watching the grass grow. I don’t have to worry about mowing the grass where I live.

Edited by Macklemore

14 hours ago, DaysOff said:

The most satisfying thing I did 5 years ago was climbing the roof with my socket set and launching the DTV dish on the driveway and smashing it with a hammer. YTTV for the win.

Yes, same here. I hated DTV. There were so many times I would lose a signal whenever storm clouds would rollover.

office space nothing to see here motherfucker GIF

• Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 6:35 PM, Macklemore said:

I pay $340 a month to fucking DirecTV because they’re supposed to be the best for sports. They first lose Sunday Ticket last year and now this shit and the beginning of football season. Unacceptable. 

Lmao $350 for that garbage?

Spanish version available for me too on ESPN app, but still ridiculous. I pay for both the ESPN app and DirecTV and had to find a loophole to watch the Spanish version of a primetime game on ESPN. 

I get the knock on DirecTV and will probably finally use this as a reason to go another direction, but my company was owned by DirecTV for years and I paid a small fee for a huge number of channels for a long time. I’ve stuck with it for two years out of habit, but this will probably do it. 

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I tried to do that and cannot. I don’t understand why as it’s on espn 3 so I should be able to stream it the way I do all other espn 3 content. 

2 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

They’re working on standalone streaming of mouse-owned sports content (abc/espn-family channels.)

⬆⬆antitrust issue has stopped/delayed  ⬆⬆

Streaming service FuboTV has filed an antitrust lawsuit against ESPN, Fox, Warner Bros. Discovery and Hulu, which are planning to launch a sports-streaming joint venture in the fall called "Venue Sports".

New stream service called "Venue Sports" now likely not gonna happen in 2024 due to injunction -- see details in below article.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/future-sports-streaming-market-consumer-164106664.html

40 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

⬆⬆antitrust issue has stopped/delayed  ⬆⬆

Streaming service FuboTV has filed an antitrust lawsuit against ESPN, Fox, Warner Bros. Discovery and Hulu, which are planning to launch a sports-streaming joint venture in the fall called "Venue Sports".

New stream service called "Venue Sports" now likely not gonna happen in 2024 due to injunction -- see details in below article.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/future-sports-streaming-market-consumer-164106664.html

Yes, the joint venture has been blocked for now. 

But that isn’t what I was talking about. ESPN has been working on streaming their own stuff before the joint deal. 

It’s not an option today, obviously, but I don’t recall saying it was. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I just signed up for Fubo because of the blackout. Can’t do YTTV because the Astros but now I notice Fubo doesn’t have TBS which will carry some playoff games. So frustrating.
Same boat. My plan to to buy the cheapest Sling plan for a month which has TBS. $20 for first month, $40 per month after. Will only need the first month.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, drewlaws said:

I just signed up for Fubo because of the blackout. Can’t do YTTV because the Astros but now I notice Fubo doesn’t have TBS which will carry some playoff games. So frustrating.

TBS has NL, right?

11 hours ago, drewlaws said:

I think if you have Max you can watch live sports on the TBS channels, I know for sure I did that in March for Madness, I think the only channel I couldnt get on Max was TrueTv, but for sure TBS and TNT

I thought DTV lost Fox a long time ago, but I havent used a DTV box in a while.  I used my parents DTV account for LHN, but that was the only channel I paid attention to.  Looks like I am going to have to teach them YTTV.  Yippee, fun, they are in their 80s! 

6 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I thought DTV lost Fox a long time ago, but I havent used a DTV box in a while.  I used my parents DTV account for LHN, but that was the only channel I paid attention to.  Looks like I am going to have to teach them YTTV.  Yippee, fun, they are in their 80s! 

I have DISH which seems fine. Every few years I end up with some problem and it is easier and much cheaper to switch than to get them to come out and fix the issue. There are always deals for new customers.

I haven't tried YTTV. I have HULU but never use it. I'm fine with DISH, Prime, Netflix. My son has Disney. And currently I have Peacock because of cycling and the Olympics, but I'll drop it later this month. My dad has AppleTV but hasn't liked it. I use to have an Apple device but the devices blocked NAS streaming and I got tired of figuring out how to jailbreak.

12 hours ago, drewlaws said:

DirecTV streaming is the best option for Astros fans.  Disney/ESPN seemingly does this every year with one of the providers.  There's not escaping it so I wouldn't switch over it if you are otherwise happy.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

DirecTV streaming is the best option for Astros fans.  Disney/ESPN seemingly does this every year with one of the providers.  There's not escaping it so I wouldn't switch over it if you are otherwise happy.

It's not always Disney/ESPN. 

Remember Tegna got into it with DirecTV late last year/earlier this year and Houston lost CBS - during the NFL season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Did a 7 free trial with YouTube TV to watch the Florida State game last night. I plan to cancel immediately after the late games on Saturday. ESPN doesn’t have any NFL on Sunday. I suspect they’ll resolve the dispute before Monday Night Football. 

giphy.webp

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

Lol....we went like 6 weeks it seemed like with no CBS last year so I hope you are correct, but good luck with that

It seems like the loss of Disney/ESPN is causing more customer losses than CBS being removed. With how quickly DirectTV is losing customers right now, they are going to try to resolve this dispute as quick as possible. Of course Disney knows they have a ton of leverage so they’re using that against directTV. Fuck this zero sum game that always ends up screwing over the consumer 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

It seems like the loss of Disney/ESPN is causing more customer losses than CBS being removed. With how quickly DirectTV is losing customers right now, they are going to try to resolve this dispute as quick as possible. Of course Disney knows they have a ton of leverage so they’re using that against directTV. Fuck this zero sum game that always ends up screwing over the consumer 

Maybe. NBC was off AT&T for several months, and while espn is definitely way more important to AT&T/direct Tv, they have stated their business model now requires them to push back harder on content providers. And at the same time espn is losing money. So put those two together and it could end up being a protracted fight. Or not. 

33 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Maybe. NBC was off AT&T for several months, and while espn is definitely way more important to AT&T/direct Tv, they have stated their business model now requires them to push back harder on content providers. And at the same time espn is losing money. So put those two together and it could end up being a protracted fight. Or not. 

It’s true that ESPN in the short term is losing money with viewership/ratings losses during this dispute. However, viewers will all flock back to ESPN once their content is made available again. Same can’t be said with current DirectTV subscribers. Even though it’s slimy, if I were YouTube TV head of marketing I would be pushing an advertising blitz right now to flip DirectTV stream users. 

Edited by perfectchaos007

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Directv wants to be able to have a more sports-focused package they can offer.

espn has said they are open to this.

Hopefully, that will be some good that comes of this.

But the question is how much each side thinks that is worth… and how is the calculus changed with the Venu venture but on hold until 2025, and possibly killed 

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Directv wants to be able to have a more sports-focused package they can offer.

espn has said they are open to this.

Hopefully, that will be some good that comes of this.

But the question is how much each side thinks that is worth… and how is the calculus changed with the Venu venture but on hold until 2025, and possibly killed 

There seems to be 2 types of customers and nothing really in the middle. Either you love sports and ESPN is a must, especially now with how much they dominate football and basketball. And those who hate it and wouldn't even notice it was missing. Will ESPN ever be offered as a standalone service? Not ESPN+ but the main ESPN/ABC networks. That show all the big time games. ESPN+ will sometimes have a big game here and there. I'd love to be able to just sub to a strict sports package with nothing else at all. I don't need mountains of useless channels with bullshit programming I won't watch. Same as the non sports viewers who see every sports channel as useless filler. I feel both factions of people would be happier this way but I have a hard time believing this would ever happen. ESPN/Disney seem to control a huge share of these cable/streaming packages.

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

It’s true that ESPN in the short term is losing money with viewership/ratings losses during this dispute. However, viewers will all flock back to ESPN once their content is made available again. Same can’t be said with current DirectTV subscribers. Even though it’s slimy, if I were YouTube TV head of marketing I would be pushing an advertising blitz right now to flip DirectTV stream users. 

I def won't flip to YTTV because we have a pretty darn good grandfathered deal with DTV Stream, but I will be signing up for a trial, and as many trials as needed, until ESPN is back on DTV Stream. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

To be more accurate in my comment, when I say losing money I mean making less money on higher revenue. Espn revenues are up 3% in the quarter year over year, but operating income has dropped 9% YOY. That has nothing to do with the dispute. 

They are losing cable subs in general. It’s a long term trend that will continue until they find the right flip point to exit the linear tv market and go completely direct with streaming. To minimize the pain of that decline, they have to raise rates as much as they can to offset subscriber loss. That’s what is exacerbating the dispute. May get solved quickly, or it may not.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/05/07/disney-dis-earnings-q2-2024.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

linear: instant on, instant channel change, one source, one screen

streaming performance sucks, and having to run "apps" to get to "channels" is subject to bullshit at any time for unknown reasons

i want one interface, one remote and no enshittening

I too would like a time portal back to 2005

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, Macklemore said:

No TNT/TBS or HBO/Cinemax. Did you read my long ass post above? I laid out the reasons why I am with DirecTV and why the others don’t measure up.

Then you add a Max subscription for $10 and you're still $230/month ahead.