ESPN Channels and Disney owned ABC affiliates pulled from DirecTV right now

Macklemore

We're still in the AT&T Uverse ecosystem.  Bit of pain in the ass but Roku saved me for last night's game.  Its portable and easy to move,  so I also can set it up for my outside older TV.  Shit, i bring it on vacation sometimes too.  Roku had the game on ESPN no problem.  I think it was $40, so i set it up on bedroom TV years ago and we can get all the channels.  Still using an older Sony in the master (can I say that?) so we bought the devise....should be good for the UTSA game in a couple weeks.

More importantly, how are we to watch the ULM game?  Its on SECN+ so im guessing pay per view or temporary sub will be required.

Edited by jdhorn92

11 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Weird strategy from cable companies to combat the growing number of cord cutters: extract losses from one man. 

But it seems to be working just fine.

especially since that one man keeps coming back to his thread after 100 replies have called him an idiot, and he keeps telling us all that No, hes not the idiot, we are the idiots for not understanding that hes  got 137 TVs scattered around his 6 million acres of prime West Texas Desert that have to have the Astros playing live on every TV without a second of delay for 5X what most of us have told him his alternatives are

Fubo & HBO Max covers every single one of his important must have channels  for less than $100/ month .....    and LOL at TBS being a must have channel for ONE 3 game series... I mean fuck go watch the god damned game at a sports bar and pay the $75 tab for the 2 or 3 days and he's still fucking ahead of 1 months payment.

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, Scraps said:

Pretty sure they alternate leagues each year.  NL was on TBS last year....AL two years ago.....so back to AL this year.  NL will be Fox 

(i think) 

That’s right. Wild card round all on ESPN platforms but ALDS  and ALCS on TBS, truTV, Max (not sure if it’s simulcast on all three or what.)

NL on Fox/FS1.

World Series all on Fox 

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

So which streaming service has the following channels, besides DStream?

epsn, espn 2, espn u, sec 1, sec 2, acc net, btn, cbssn, fs1, fs1, etc?

cause d stream had em all, but im pretty sure they were the only ones

For the 845th time....

Spoiler

FUBO

• Hook 'Em 2

Financial Times today

Disney’s latest pay TV bust-up comes at desperate moment

The media group and DirecTV are accusing each other of being unreasonable

A 3D printed Disney logo is placed in front of a blue background, with the ESPN+ logo visible in the background.

Disney’s contract with satellite provider DirecTV has expired with no renewal in place © Reuters

Spoiler

A new Labor Day tradition in the US has arrived: Disney finding itself in a messy contract dispute with another television titan, with each side trying to survive a new world order in entertainment.

Disney’s contract with the satellite provider DirecTV expired last weekend with no renewal in place. As a consequence, DirecTV customers missed the start of the college football season as well as the middle rounds of US Open tennis.
Such “carriage” disputes have become commonplace. Exactly a year ago Disney scuffled over a renewal with John Malone’s Charter Communications. But in the intervening year, linear television’s decline has only hastened. Worse for Disney, a recent legal setback may threaten its usual ability as the precious content provider to push distributors like DirecTV around.
DirecTV was acquired in 2015 by AT&T at an aggregate value of $67bn. Three years ago, the telco divested majority control of DirecTV to the private equity group TPG at an enterprise value of just $16bn. Satellite TV has been bleeding subscribers for years but unlike cable TV providers, DirecTV has no broadband business as a counterbalance to changes in video consumption.

Column chart of US pay TV subscribers, mn showing Cord cutting from traditional pay TV continues unabated

With a shrinking television audience, Disney needs to charge as much as possible for each remaining subscriber to traditional linear pay TV. Its flagship ESPN, for example, has the highest affiliate fee at about $9 per subscriber. In its most recent quarter, affiliate fee revenue dropped 2 per cent as subscribers fell by 8 per cent even as its rates charged increased by 6 per cent.
The current stand-off between DirecTV and Disney has somehow turned even more existential. As Lex discussed recently, a federal court halted a sports streaming joint venture created between Disney, Fox and Warner Bros Discovery. The judge said the bundling practices whereby distributors had to accept and pay for several channels as a package from Disney and content companies were likely illegal.
In the wake of the decision, DirecTV has told Disney it does not wish to pay for everything thrown in the pot alongside ESPN — just what it thinks ESPN is worth standalone.
Each side is digging in, accusing the other of being unreasonable and harming American consumers. The Labor Day timing for this now annual dust-up is ominous. The most important live television content by far is the National Football League which kicks off its ESPN schedule next Monday night. Last year that was enough to prompt a compromise just before Monday Night Football. This year do not be so sure.

On 9/2/2024 at 8:23 PM, LTtxfan said:

⬆⬆antitrust issue has stopped/delayed  ⬆⬆

Streaming service FuboTV has filed an antitrust lawsuit against ESPN, Fox, Warner Bros. Discovery and Hulu, which are planning to launch a sports-streaming joint venture in the fall called "Venue Sports".

New stream service called "Venue Sports" now likely not gonna happen in 2024 due to injunction -- see details in below article.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/future-sports-streaming-market-consumer-164106664.html

That was Venu, as you note. However the Mouse is supposedly going to offer a stand-alone ESPN service next Summer. That would not have anti-trust issues similar to what Venu has.

Edited by Chopper

I've been overpaying for Directv for years.  If this shit isn't resolved soon, I may finally be out.  Open to ideas.  The YouTube tv option, with all the other streaming services I have, may end up being the call.  But I need to be able to get the Dodgers on Sportsnet LA.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

Financial Times today

Disney’s latest pay TV bust-up comes at desperate moment

The media group and DirecTV are accusing each other of being unreasonable

A 3D printed Disney logo is placed in front of a blue background, with the ESPN+ logo visible in the background.

Disney’s contract with satellite provider DirecTV has expired with no renewal in place © Reuters

Hide contents

A new Labor Day tradition in the US has arrived: Disney finding itself in a messy contract dispute with another television titan, with each side trying to survive a new world order in entertainment.

Disney’s contract with the satellite provider DirecTV expired last weekend with no renewal in place. As a consequence, DirecTV customers missed the start of the college football season as well as the middle rounds of US Open tennis.
Such “carriage” disputes have become commonplace. Exactly a year ago Disney scuffled over a renewal with John Malone’s Charter Communications. But in the intervening year, linear television’s decline has only hastened. Worse for Disney, a recent legal setback may threaten its usual ability as the precious content provider to push distributors like DirecTV around.
DirecTV was acquired in 2015 by AT&T at an aggregate value of $67bn. Three years ago, the telco divested majority control of DirecTV to the private equity group TPG at an enterprise value of just $16bn. Satellite TV has been bleeding subscribers for years but unlike cable TV providers, DirecTV has no broadband business as a counterbalance to changes in video consumption.

Column chart of US pay TV subscribers, mn showing Cord cutting from traditional pay TV continues unabated

With a shrinking television audience, Disney needs to charge as much as possible for each remaining subscriber to traditional linear pay TV. Its flagship ESPN, for example, has the highest affiliate fee at about $9 per subscriber. In its most recent quarter, affiliate fee revenue dropped 2 per cent as subscribers fell by 8 per cent even as its rates charged increased by 6 per cent.
The current stand-off between DirecTV and Disney has somehow turned even more existential. As Lex discussed recently, a federal court halted a sports streaming joint venture created between Disney, Fox and Warner Bros Discovery. The judge said the bundling practices whereby distributors had to accept and pay for several channels as a package from Disney and content companies were likely illegal.
In the wake of the decision, DirecTV has told Disney it does not wish to pay for everything thrown in the pot alongside ESPN — just what it thinks ESPN is worth standalone.
Each side is digging in, accusing the other of being unreasonable and harming American consumers. The Labor Day timing for this now annual dust-up is ominous. The most important live television content by far is the National Football League which kicks off its ESPN schedule next Monday night. Last year that was enough to prompt a compromise just before Monday Night Football. This year do not be so sure.

tl/dr

IT'S NOT MY GODDAMN PROBLEM MONKEY BOYS!  TURN ON MY GODDAMN CHANNELS I'M PAYING FOR!

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

But I need to be able to get the Dodgers on Sportsnet LA.

I don't think there's an option if you don't have access to TW cable. 

A unique characteristic about this carriage dispute is Direct has a lot of subscribers specifically for live sports, especially because they used to be the outlet for the NFL service. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I've been overpaying for Directv for years.  If this shit isn't resolved soon, I may finally be out.  Open to ideas.  The YouTube tv option, with all the other streaming services I have, may end up being the call.  But I need to be able to get the Dodgers on Sportsnet LA.

I know this ship has long sailed, but I still cannot fathom the notion that large portions of teams' fanbases are locked out of watching their hometown team. I can watch like a dozen soccer games live from London but not the baseball team that plays down the road. Wild.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I've been overpaying for Directv for years.  If this shit isn't resolved soon, I may finally be out.  Open to ideas.  The YouTube tv option, with all the other streaming services I have, may end up being the call

This is where I am, but I could give two shits about the Dodgers (no offense SBB👏🏻👏🏻🙌🏻).

I’m leaning YTT- I get that they have all live sports, etc. but if my Wife doesn’t get her fix of 20/20, 48Hours, Dateline and whatever other unsolved mysteries channel that will help her commit the perfect crime, then it’s curtains for me.😅

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chopper said:

If you have amex platinum you get a $20 monthly credit for Hulu (or Peacock) and if you're already paying for Hulu anyway it seems like Hulu live would be the move, esp since you can get it bundled with espn+.  

Yeah--I get ESPN+.  But that doesn't give me actual ESPN.  So I could watch two D3 teams on ESPN+, but couldn't watch Florida State because it was on ESPN.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Yeah--I get ESPN+.  But that doesn't give me actual ESPN.  So I could watch two D3 teams on ESPN+, but couldn't watch Florida State because it was on ESPN.

You'd have to upgrade to Hulu live. Just pointing out that seems like the best choice if you either already pay for regular Hulu, or have an amex plat, or both. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/2/2024 at 6:59 PM, thunderlounge said:

I thought the same thing for years. Guess what? She got over it pretty quick when I told her it was saving over $200/mo.

It’s just so damn frustrating seeing decent people pissing their money away at directv.

ETA: Max app (or add-on with fubo/yttv for the channels, AND you get Max access too.)

On 9/3/2024 at 3:13 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

especially since that one man keeps coming back to his thread after 100 replies have called him an idiot, and he keeps telling us all that No, hes not the idiot, we are the idiots for not understanding that hes  got 137 TVs scattered around his 6 million acres of prime West Texas Desert that have to have the Astros playing live on every TV without a second of delay for 5X what most of us have told him his alternatives are

Fubo & HBO Max covers every single one of his important must have channels  for less than $100/ month .....    and LOL at TBS being a must have channel for ONE 3 game series... I mean fuck go watch the god damned game at a sports bar and pay the $75 tab for the 2 or 3 days and he's still fucking ahead of 1 months payment.

Spending $340/month does seem crazy to me. That I can’t justify in my mind. I can’t speak to that. 

But as I pointed out earlier, in most cases the financial difference between cable and streaming isn’t really as big as you guys are trying to make it sound like, especially when you compare functionality apples to apples. 

For example, Fubo and Max doesn’t include internet. Where I live, there’s one provider and it’s $90 per month if not bundled with cable. So that $90-$100 is now $190. I pay $240, have a bunch of movie channels, have the Astros, Rangers, Spurs, Mavs, Stars all under one remote/channel lineup. There are other advantages as well to Uverse. Adding Ballys still wouldn’t get everything and that’s another $20. Now we are up to $210-220. 

So you are making it sound like streaming is hundreds of dollars of difference vs cable but it’s really not. And it still is missing significant functionality vs cable. Streaming is cheaper because it’s got less functionality and/or content and/or ease of use. 

Now I’m switching to streaming  in a few months after the baseball season, but the savings aren’t going to be massive.  Stop making it sound like it’s utopia. It ain’t. 

• Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

For example, Fubo and Max doesn’t include internet.

but, and its a big but, unless you are somehow just paying for internet through your phone.

YOU ARE ALREADY PAYING FOR INTERNET!  

So the fact that you are paying for internet and cable vs internet and streaming platforms is completely irrelevant.   with one exception:

If you are in the boonies and your provider sucks ass and has a choice of basic 50g vs a 200g network that costs another $50 a month to get the 200g (which you would want to be able to stream cable), then yes, your point is more valid. 

Edited by AUS-97HORN

17 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

but, and its a big but, unless you are somehow just paying for internet through your phone.

YOU ARE ALREADY PAYING FOR INTERNET!  

So the fact that you are paying for internet and cable vs internet and streaming platforms is completely irrelevant.   with one exception:

If you are in the boonies and your provider sucks ass and has a choice of basic 50g vs a 200g network that costs another $50 a month to get the 200g (which you would want to be able to stream cable), then yes, your point is more valid. 

This is nonsense. Not worth trying to help you understand. 

the time to have done this for Direct TV (and Dish) was 5 to 8 years ago before broadband was so good and before streaming packages were halfway decent

the only thing that cable companies have going for them is they provide the internet needed for all these streaming packages to work so they can still fuck their subs on the price of that

all this channel cramming has let ESPN, Discovery, TWMedia and all these other fucks get fat and bloated offering shit channels that no one wants to watch and back when Dish and Direct TV and cable were the choices they willingly went along with it and ignored what the internet was going to allow

now they have let ESPN and the content companies get to where they think they can do the same shit only stream it on the internet instead of on cable or SAT......but the problem is people are tired of paying $350 a month for a bunch of shit channels they never watch full of fuck heads and stupid shows and worse yet later in the season there will be 38 college football games on that ESPN could be showing on Saturday and ABC will have some walkathon fundraiser bullshit from 3pm to 8pm and ESPN II will have swamp buggy racing on and all the games will be pushed to "conference networks" they think thy are going to fuck you into paying for

hopefully the answer to some of that is when ESPN runs short on cash and cannot bid as much CW, TNT/TBS, and perhaps some new network will pay for the rights for some games and deny ESPN the chance to over charge people to pay for a conference network to see one game a week they give a shit about.....or if Musk can get his SATs up and going better there will be a chance for some steaming companies to move in and take some of that content and still pay good money to the conferences for it, but they will not be hamstrung by corporate bullshit bloat like ESPN so they can charge less

ESPN and Cable/SAT companies are like mid 70s US car companies.......they put out a total shit product and the rebrand the same bullshit into 5 different companies with some different trim and colors of paint (or in the case of media companies into 5 or 6 channels with mostly bullshit shows and 3 things a week you give a fuck about) and they are protected from any real competition even between each other or other networks and they are just going to ride it right into the ditch like a 72 Pontiac

and the best part is ESPN/Disney are still one of the shittiest streaming companies on the face of the planet because they are still more interested in offering some type of AOL experience to their website streams that just crashes and fucks up constantly while it tries to rape your computer for data and I think they feel as though they can accomplish that with their actual ESPN+ as well and they are stuck trying to figure out how 

when some dude in Bangladesh can offer the game (your content) for free, at better quality than you can (or "buy him a cup of coffee") then you know you are a shit media company

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

I know this ship has long sailed, but I still cannot fathom the notion that large portions of teams' fanbases are locked out of watching their hometown team. I can watch like a dozen soccer games live from London but not the baseball team that plays down the road. Wild.

They're not locked out.  They don't choose to pay to watch.

Isn't Fubo missing something fundamental?  I know I looked into them this year and opted out.

DTV usually has a X-month deal for football season, but it's only ~$40 off for  3 months this year.  I was going to go ahead and do 3 months DTV-S then finish with YTTV, but DTV-S messed that up.  I might just end up YTTV because that seems the better deal than Hulu+Live TV.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

Just because your situation doesn't afford you entry into said utopia, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Sorry you're held hostage by no competition.

Sorry you are poor and $40 per month is the difference between you eating or not. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Wasn't DirecTV already having issues with ESPN, or was that Dish?

I do Hulu with live TV, but they always seem to have issues with CBS. It fucking annoying. It's too expensive for them to be fucking up like this every year. I may just get Sling and an antenna for local channels. $40 a month ain't bad. 

Edited by Funk Doctor Spock

1 minute ago, thunderlounge said:

I bet you also have a giant lift on your truck, still trying to overcompensate.

Let’s review. You started all this by calling everyone an idiot for not doing what you did. Then when I showed you in multiple posts that not everyone saves much money, you switched from calling everyone an idiot to saying you were saving money, and insulted me.

Everyone wouldn’t know how poor you are right now if you’d just been a little nicer to everyone in this thread. So sad. It’s a lesson I’m sure you’ll take with you.  

15 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Let’s review. You started all this by calling everyone an idiot for not doing what you did. Then when I showed you in multiple posts that not everyone saves much money, you switched from calling everyone an idiot to saying you were saving money, and insulted me.

Everyone wouldn’t know how poor you are right now if you’d just been a little nicer to everyone in this thread. So sad. It’s a lesson I’m sure you’ll take with you.  

Sure, let’s review. 

I said here’s some tough love to a guy pissing money away.

You come in with a manifesto, trying to overcompensate, and end it with the utopia shit.

Then want to continue to further overcompensate by trying to seem like a baller and call people poor.

Here’s the lesson that you are going to take away: 

Do you know why people who do actually have money, have it?

Because they don’t foolishly part with it.

But you know who are easily parted from their money? Overcompensating fools. 

4 hours ago, NTVTXN said:

This is where I am, but I could give two shits about the Dodgers (no offense SBB👏🏻👏🏻🙌🏻).

I’m leaning YTT- I get that they have all live sports, etc. but if my Wife doesn’t get her fix of 20/20, 48Hours, Dateline and whatever other unsolved mysteries channel that will help her commit the perfect crime, then it’s curtains for me.😅

I have YouTubeTV and my wife is able to watch those shows to plan my murder.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/2/2024 at 6:28 PM, thunderlounge said:

Paying that much for directv is fucking stupid as fuck man. Aggy-level reasoning.

On 9/2/2024 at 6:59 PM, thunderlounge said:

I thought the same thing for years. Guess what? She got over it pretty quick when I told her it was saving over $200/mo.

It’s just so damn frustrating seeing decent people pissing their money away 

Other posters offered helpful thoughts about how to save money. You went red zone and started calling people stupid, when they’ve explained to you multiple times that the services you describe aren’t the same as what they get today and want.

Those features or services may not be important to you, but they are to other people. For some people $20, $50, $100 a month is a decimal point. Just because that amount of money is important enough to you to give up services, it may not be to someone else and doesn’t justify you calling people stupid. Fuck off 

I called ATT today & got $20 instant credit, $20/month off bill & new gateway.   I intend to keep the fiber Wi-Fi if I end up switching to YTTV.  They should’ve sent me the gateway a long time ago though.  Cheap fuckers.  

https://awfulannouncing.com/youtube/tv-big-winner-disney-directv-dispute.html

DirecTV subscribers are missing out on Disney channels as the latest carriage dispute has crash landed. And with college football just having started and Week 1 of the NFL season upon us, that could mean sports fans missing out on some big games on the ESPN family of networks. If the two sides are prepared for a dispute that could extend for days or weeks, the biggest winner won’t be Disney or DirecTV – it just might be YouTube TV.

While that seems like a bold proclamation to make, the numbers are already starting to tell the story that the streaming service may be about to pick up a flood of new subs who are finally ready to leave the days of the satellite dish behind. Not only has YouTube TV been trending on social media, it’s seeing its search numbers go through the roof to levels not seen since the Super Bowl.

44 minutes ago, huge said:

So I need to ditch DTV Stream and do YTTV?

I pay $125 for DTV then also have Netflix and the HULU bundle (and have Apple and MAX free from other shit).

Someone tell me what to do!

Depends on what you watch, but in general you can save some money going to YTTV. You just will likely give up a few things that might or might not be important to you. Write down what you watch, what you could give up, and see if YTTV has it. Fill in with Max at $15, and/ or Ballys at $20.