ESPN Channels and Disney owned ABC affiliates pulled from DirecTV right now

Macklemore

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Depends on what you watch, but in general you can save some money going to YTTV. You just will likely give up a few things that might or might not be important to you. Write down what you watch, what you could give up, and see if YTTV has it. Fill in with Max at $15, and/ or Ballys at $20. 

The biggest thing is being able to watch live sports on my 2 outdoor TVs.  Need to be able to watch different feeds.

1 minute ago, huge said:

The biggest thing is being able to watch live sports on my 2 outdoor TVs.  Need to be able to watch different feeds.

Live sports is the key. Astros, Rangers, NBA teams, etc. it depends on where you live, which teams and sports you need. This thread covers some of the trade offs. Fubo could be an excellent choice if live sports is key. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Youtube TV is the best sports experience with multicast and stats and gives 1 more stream than Hulu, Hulu Live is the most economical if you already have Disney but I think it only winds up saving you like $10 a month. None of the other options compare with convenience and tech

12 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the first actual "news" article with "analysis"

the MSM is fucking silent on something effecting 10 MILLION PEOPLE

https://www.textise.net/showText.aspx?strURL=https%3A//frontofficesports.com/newsletter/directtvs-existential-espn-clash/

that article is interesting going back to the 70s era American car comparison and now the 2020s ear American cars you can again see the issue

the media companies are like car companies telling their dealers (cable and SAT MSOs) that they are not providing the manufacturers with any "ideas" for what to do to make their shitty cars (shitty content) that they insist on building and selling sell better......and the dealers are like "stop selling shit people do not want"......you are offering an $85,000 Dually with a crew cab, diesel engine (that is not reliable), a 22" screen in the dash, leather seats, and a 6' bed as a "work truck"......people want a reliable diesel with durable seats in perhaps a crew cab or extended cab with a 8' bed and they do not need an entertainment center......the 8' bed is on the half ton, single cab, stripped down truck with a gas V8.....or a compact truck for only $2,500 less than a half ton, 2 turbo 4cyl,  with a crew cab and a tiny bed loaded to the max with crap......when they want a compact tuck with a gas V6, decent bed, and extended cab and not full of crap.....or they have a 3/4 ton that hauls too little, too little payload, an unreliable engine, and the beds are configured wrong for the cabs in terms of use and they are designed to be lived in (and cost as much as a house in the 80s)

or they are getting rid of reliable 2 and 4 door cars because they cannot make massive money selling them and letting the foreign companies take that market completely

if you call the Big 3 the "content companies" and dealers the cable/SAT companies in the 70s there were multiple brands of "content" (shitty car brands) that were mostly the same and that had massive overhead of people trying to figure out how to sell a Chevy Monte Carlo vs. a Buick Regal vs. an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.....(much less Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth....or quick name one Mercury car model besides the Marquis) when they were all the same turds with different polish and for some reason different engines......that is similar to now with all the various 478 channels of bullshit that you cannot find one thing you want to watch for 12 hours out of the day because it is all so shitty offered by 4 or 5 major media companies

dealers did not give a fuck because they had local protected markets and no "internet" to shop prices and only a few places had a dealer in Floydada or Hempstead that was outside of town with a low cost of operation and close enough to sell for a low fixed price with a few "take it or leave it" salesmen and yet close enough to larger markets to bring the buyers out to them.....and they made a shit load on repairing junk in and out of warranty.....that is like cable and SAT companies of old.....you had one cable company in most places or DISH and Direct TV when they showed up to choose from.....and since they were all offering the same bullshit content negotiated at the same price where they had to carry all the bullshit channels none of them really cared about trying to really be competitive......it was a competition of "how shitty can our customer service be and our billing bullshit be before people cancel and go the the next one to get fucked"....or "fuck the customers we have now lets offer incentives to get new ones and the ones we have now can switch when their contract runs out"....sort of like fuck you that car is still not paid off yet eat a dick

so it was partially like cable now with bloated shit, but things are changing.....just like with cars there is now "internet" comparison shopping (steaming) and more competition in general and car companies are now talking about selling some of their cars (EVs) direct to consumers and there are EV companies selling direct to consumers or with very limited dealers......and all the major dealer groups for the Big 3 are pissed off about being under cut, getting lower warranty work rates for ever shittier cars with all kinds of electrical bullshit that disables a car in an instant and no training and support on EVs.....much less shitty over priced products no one wants.......similar to media companies now trying to "go direct" with streaming and especially cutting out the SAT companies, but at the same time also leaving cable companies with expensive legacy TV systems to pay for and wanting them to just sell low cost internet so that the media companies can over charge for their channels of shit no one wants 

in the past when cable systems were smaller they had less leverage, but media companies were also smaller.....now they have both gobbled up the market, failed to adjust, colluded for a while to over charge for shit people did not want and now they are finally fighting over which one is going to get fucked in the relationship as the one (media companies/car builders) triy to offer the most useless shit for the highest price or which one can control the last mile access to the consumer (the car dealer or cable/SAT companies)

and then there are the smaller players.....the streamers that are like the foreign car companies coming in that forced shitty products to get better.......and then other forms of internet like over builders. 5G, Starlink that are similar to EV companies trying to sell direct to consumer

and the same yesteryear fucks are not sure how to compete with them either.....offer out own shitty product.....make out own shitty content......try and bundle the shit we over charge for on cable/SAT and sell it for a little less and who cares how it gets to the consumer

it is what happens when shitty companies work with other shitty companies and think they have the market controlled until they both realize others are finally doing something and then their answer is to try and fuck each other before they correct their mistakes because their past performance in a monopoly/near monopoly market could not possibly be a fluke and people really want what they are offering if they could just get the other shitty companies they deal with to accept that and raise prices more while consumers flee to other options with abandon

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I'm giving it 2 weeks and then pulling the plug on Directv.

Same, except Uverse. Can’t go back once you leave because the service is in the process of shutting down over the next few years. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Youtube TV is the best sports experience with multicast and stats and gives 1 more stream than Hulu, Hulu Live is the most economical if you already have Disney but I think it only winds up saving you like $10 a month. None of the other options compare with convenience and tech

But they don't carry the Astros.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, huge said:

But they don't carry the Astros.

So far, that is the main reason we haven't switched to YTTV.  Fubo is missing Food Network and TBS/TNT/Tru TV (for March Madness) makes it a no-go.

I'd switch to YTTV permanently if Space City Network had a separate subscription for Astros/Rockets.

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So far, that is the main reason we haven't switched to YTTV.  Fubo is missing Food Network and TBS/TNT/Tru TV (for March Madness) makes it a no-go.

I'd switch to YTTV permanently if Space City Network had a separate subscription for Astros/Rockets.

Yeah, im deciding between fubo and yttv. Looks like fubo has better price for the sports bundle

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yeah, im deciding between fubo and yttv. Looks like fubo has better price for the sports bundle

We are going to stick with DTVS, because we are quite sure the slapfight will end soon enough, and we have a great grandfathered price.  I don't think it will go on as long as the TEGNA one did, that was annoying to only be able to watch CBB/Texans games on the Paramount Plus app. 

But the 3 week YTTV trial will suffice until the dispute is over. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I believe that would only get you ESPN+.  But I could be wrong.  I only get ESPN+ thru Hulu.

That’s correct. There is currently no standalone ESPN (tv channel content) subscription 

8 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

I am in DFW so no ABC and no ESPN and I just received this email.

Screenshot_20240906_191015_Outlook.thumb.jpg.53821d5f074d70494e09461f4b78294a.jpg

I will be finding a new provider at the end of the Rangers season.

Wow, you got a notification? I just opened up my bill and AT&T had increased it $40 hoping I wouldn’t notice. Fuck them. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Is there a way to get espn other than signing up for fubo or YTTV? Can you sign up for the Disney, Hulu espn bundle?

There's an ESPN bundled with Hulu LIVE. You've gotta look for that.

Or go with one of the other options. YTTV has a 3 week free option in my area. Fubo and Sling are offering ~half price for the first month. Hulu Live only has a 3 day free option.

I’m a Uverse user in Dallas. A friend has Comcast and gave me his log in, and I was able to download their app to my phone and Roku and can stream ESPN with no issues. Many of the channels on the app are blacked out if you’re not on your Comcast Wi-Fi, but ESPN channels work just fine. Thank you John!

On 9/5/2024 at 1:46 PM, JBJ said:

Why do channels like Lifetime, Nat Geo Wild, Reelz and Vice even exist?

Reelz has on patrol live every friday and saturday night. really the only reason I still have peacock and my go to viewings for friday and saturday nights during the off season

10 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Is there much 4k available on YTTV sports ?

NBC, FOX, ESPN have 4k games for major college games probably once a day...but does it look like amazing 4K crystal clear image? No i dont think so, so at $10/mo...id buy yourself a burger for lunch, itll benefit you more

most on the YTTV subreddit would also say save your money

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m ready to leave.. was an early adopter of what is nor DTV Stream, but with the next price increase feels like I am paying about 2x versus Hulu Live or YTTV. Only real sacrifice appears to be losing Bally Sports and Astros / Rangers. And who knows how quickly they can resolve the current dispute.

Here’s my question, y’all are pretty high on YTTV, what does anybody think of Hulu Live? Looks like it could be a better option for us since we already pay for the Disney/ESPN+ bundle. Also seems it could be more future-proof; since Disney owns a piece of it unlikely to get in a carriage dispute. Thoughts appreciated.

14 hours ago, Godzillatron said:

I’m ready to leave.. was an early adopter of what is nor DTV Stream, but with the next price increase feels like I am paying about 2x versus Hulu Live or YTTV. Only real sacrifice appears to be losing Bally Sports and Astros / Rangers. And who knows how quickly they can resolve the current dispute.

Here’s my question, y’all are pretty high on YTTV, what does anybody think of Hulu Live? Looks like it could be a better option for us since we already pay for the Disney/ESPN+ bundle. Also seems it could be more future-proof; since Disney owns a piece of it unlikely to get in a carriage dispute. Thoughts appreciated.

we have hulu/disney/whatever and had hulu live tv in the past. currently we have yttv for live, and i like YTTV more for sports with mulitview and i feel theyre a tad ahead of hulu in terms of delay. wife likes hulu more than yttv because of their stocked library and shows seem to be more accessible than yttv unless you DVR on yttv, so we're a split household here. wife watches next to no live tv and thats all i watch

one thing i like about hulu more than yttv is the profiles can be just profiles, on yttv theyre tied to your emails so thats a bit of a pain if you have kids, non techy wife

I tried to use the ESPN app on my phone to watch one of the late games yesterday, and it blocked me.  In the past, the app has asked who my cable provider was (it's ATT).  

So even though I had turned off the wifi on my phone and was using a cell signal, it *STILL* gave me an error message saying, "your provider is not available" or something like that.

In other words, just because they're having a fight with the company that gives me cable television, they decided to completely block **all** ESPN access on my phone EVEN THOUGH I WASN'T AT HOME AND WASN'T USING ANY ATT WIFI.

Such bullshit.  

I feel like this could be cross-posted in the "great enshittening" thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

Only thing that’s kept me from jumping to YTTV is I’ve read picture quality is not as good as DTV Stream.  Any feedback there?  

Been a U-verse customer since they were selling it door to door like 15 years ago, but I’m tired of boxes and ATT in general.  So I may see who can get me cheapest gigabit in Cedar Park and drop ATT altogether.  

32 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

I tried to use the ESPN app on my phone to watch one of the late games yesterday, and it blocked me.  In the past, the app has asked who my cable provider was (it's ATT).  

So even though I had turned off the wifi on my phone and was using a cell signal, it *STILL* gave me an error message saying, "your provider is not available" or something like that.

In other words, just because they're having a fight with the company that gives me cable television, they decided to completely block **all** ESPN access on my phone EVEN THOUGH I WASN'T AT HOME AND WASN'T USING ANY ATT WIFI.

Such bullshit.  

Edited by Dbeasy

43 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Such bullshit.  

This might be a story if you were using a login other than DirecTV/ATT. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Only thing that’s kept me from jumping to YTTV is I’ve read picture quality is not as good as DTV Stream.  Any feedback there?  

Been a U-verse customer since they were selling it door to door like 15 years ago, but I’m tired of boxes and ATT in general.  So I may see who can get me cheapest gigabit in Cedar Park and drop ATT altogether.  

I didn’t notice any major difference yesterday. Watched the game on YTTV so I can go from the game to the 4 screen and back

11 minutes ago, elfenix said:

This might be a story if you were using a login other than DirecTV/ATT. 

Hmmm.  I sign up for everything using a gmail account, but maybe that's it.  Maybe ESPN isn't defaulting to gmail once it verified my cable provider.  It's probably been a decade since I set it up. 

We use DirecTV.  I have no doubt we're getting clobbered, price-wise, but we (did) have 5 TVs and it was just easier.  Now we're down to 3, maybe 2 soon once we downsize, I'm going to have to finally figure this shit out.

I will tell you this much, I 100% blame DirecTV on this latest ESPN bullshit.  I don't even know how much blame ESPN carries, I blame the provider.  They're about to drive me away.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Hmmm.  I sign up for everything using a gmail account, but maybe that's it.  Maybe ESPN isn't defaulting to gmail once it verified my cable provider.  It's probably been a decade since I set it up. 

It doesn't give a shit what your email or Internet provider is. If your access to watch ESPN is att/DirecTV then you don't have that right now, because currently att/DirecTV isn't paying for it 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We use DirecTV.  I have no doubt we're getting clobbered, price-wise, but we (did) have 5 TVs and it was just easier.  Now we're down to 3, maybe 2 soon once we downsize, I'm going to have to finally figure this shit out.

I will tell you this much, I 100% blame DirecTV on this latest ESPN bullshit.  I don't even know how much blame ESPN carries, I blame the provider.  They're about to drive me away.

Pretty much the same situation for me but with Dish, kids are all gone, still have 4 tvs of 6 going. We just got fiber optic laid out to where we are so never had a streaming option so don't know anything about that yet. The wife and I are both homebodies that watch a lot of tv but we pay a lot for it.

I use Hulu live, already had the Hulu/Espn+/Disney+ bundle. I just wanted the cheapest way to watch sports. I really wish there was a way to just get a sports bundle for a few bucks less.  Are there really people tuning into Southpark and The Office reruns on the other live channels? Local news? All that shit is on demand now usually without ads and you can pause and take a dump whenever you want, or just keep watching on your phone. I’m not that young either but streaming makes so much more sense than live tv. Sports are really the only thing that needs to be viewed on live or broadcast tv anymore.

Edited by 'stache