ESPN Channels and Disney owned ABC affiliates pulled from DirecTV right now

Macklemore

I have Hulu Live w/Disney ESPN+ package form$89.00 a month. Not sure how many tvs that gives me in total but I’m using 4 currently. I get literally every college game live.

I haven’t had issues running it on 8 TVs and I’ve had Hulu for years.

33 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It’s weird not being able to type in a channel on the remote. There is no one step way to get to a channel in yttv. 

it's insane that you can't program a channel with a number and make your own lineup

it's like the entire industry is conspiring together to end instant-on ease-of-use

On 9/9/2024 at 2:12 PM, kevwun said:

Disney pulls this shit every year with someone.  It's DirecTV's turn over the barrel.

Yep, 22 and 23 I had Dish...and the channels dropped. Now 2024, switched to DirecTv, and dammit now they dropped here, FML

• Rage+1 1

On 9/11/2024 at 9:29 AM, Huckleberry said:

Yep I'm finally switching from Uverse to YTTV today. And saving money. Basically was spending extra money for LHN and had no problem doing so, no reason to stick around anymore.

The thing I would miss is recording/DVR   If you get other services like YTTV is there a way to record content (ie games?)

Do you YTTV folks just not care about regional sports networks?

I tried it and liked the interface and the multicast stuff, sure, but sports are probably the #1 reason I have cable.  
Not being able to watch the Spurs/Mavs/Rangers (Bally SW) and Astros/Rockets (SCHN) just seems disqualifying to me.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Welch said:

I tried it and liked the interface and the multicast stuff, sure, but sports are probably the #1 reason I have cable.  
Not being able to watch the Spurs/Mavs/Rangers (Bally SW) and Astros/Rockets (SCHN) just seems disqualifying to me.

In that case, you get Fubo.

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

You can record literally every game, automatically with one button. 

Or you can tell it only to record only UT Football games (again, you only have to do it once).  It's a great setup.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

In that case, you get Fubo.

Did a trial of that too, and that was better, but then you’re missing Turner networks.  So no NBA on TNT, and no MLB postseason on TBS.  Plus no CNN if that matters to you.

I guess my point is that there are always trade-offs.  I just don’t find YTTV or Fubo to be as unassailable as people make them seem.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Welch said:

No.  NBA and MLB are too boring.  But that's me.

10 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

it's insane that you can't program a channel with a number and make your own lineup

it's like the entire industry is conspiring together to end instant-on ease-of-use

You can customize the order of channels in your guide. Group channels how you want to see them. Hide channels you don't care about so your list of channels is smaller. Great during March Madness as I group CBS, TBS, TNT, TruTV to make switching between games easy.  Superior setup to having channel numbers.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TxEx84 said:

You can customize the order of channels in your guide. Group channels how you want to see them. Hide channels you don't care about so your list of channels is smaller. Great during March Madness as I group CBS, TBS, TNT, TruTV to make switching between games easy.  Superior setup to having channel numbers.

There’s no world in which adding channel numbers to that setup isn’t superior. 

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

Once you get used to it, the guide being in alphabetical order is much easier to find channels in.

I want to go from ABC to TBS. Wheee, let’s scroll. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Every. single. game. Adds the extra recording time for you too. Vastly superior to Direct TV DVr

I don't want to record the fucking game.  I want to watch the fucking games as they are happening like a normal fucking human.  And I want to be able to flip between games easily.

And, most importantly, I want to watch these fucking games with no pop-up commercials in the middle of a play and with no weird beeping in the background.

Yeah--that experience last night trying to watch the Texas State/Arizona State game and the NFL game at the same time was absolutely infuriating.  It has both me and Mrs.LL (who was very YTTV-curious) ready to get rid of it the second ESPN comes back on DTV.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

Once you get used to it, the guide being in alphabetical order is much easier to find channels in.

dude, FUCK that

I literally put the channels in the order i am most likely going to watch them.

ESPN, 2,U, Classic, Then 4 local OTA, Then FS1 & FS2 are my first 10 channel choices

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JBJ said:

FYI.  I went to cancel YTTV today as it should be the last day of my trial, but they have already charged me and won't give a refund.  Make sure you cancel a day early if you just want the trial.

Update: I got a refund.  Had to email a real person (or sophisticated chat bot).

19 minutes ago, Welch said:

Did a trial of that too, and that was better, but then you’re missing Turner networks.  So no NBA on TNT, and no MLB postseason on TBS.  Plus no CNN if that matters to you.

I guess my point is that there are always trade-offs.  I just don’t find YTTV or Fubo to be as unassailable as people make them seem.

You can watch the Turner stuff on Max, they carry it as “B-R sports.”

Or for yttv, get the bally app. It’s not overly great as an app, but the stream is good.

Most annoying part is it’s individual feeds of each program. So if you flip on pregame, you better pay attention to the time and back out and start the game stream.

Why they can’t just mash them together is anyone’s guess.

Or, say fuck it and get an IPTV feed and use that for what’s missing in your main package.

There are plenty of options, just have to find the combination that works for you.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I don't want to record the fucking game.  I want to watch the fucking games as they are happening like a normal fucking human.  And I want to be able to flip between games easily.

And, most importantly, I want to watch these fucking games with no pop-up commercials in the middle of a play and with no weird beeping in the background.

Yeah--that experience last night trying to watch the Texas State/Arizona State game and the NFL game at the same time was absolutely infuriating.  It has both me and Mrs.LL (who was very YTTV-curious) ready to get rid of it the second ESPN comes back on DTV.

Flip between games easily: hit the down arrow on your remote and select from your recently watched channels. Depending on your remote, briefly hold down the Select button to return to the previous channel. 

I get no pop up commercials in the middle of a play or any weird beeping. 

• Hook 'Em 6

26 minutes ago, TxEx84 said:

group CBS, TBS, TNT, TruTV to make switching between games easy.

YTTV needs to do a 4-in-1 for this too.  Yeah, there aren't always 4 games going at once, but still.  But a black box on the channels without active games or something. 

17 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

The NFL game was on Amazon prime. That has nothing to do with YTTV. It has a resume from last watch option when flipping between games live. Press down on the remote and easily switch program to program holding your place. 

The entire guide is customizable. You can put all of the sports channels together, hide unwanted channels etc. 

• Hook 'Em 3

The customizable guide is what I like best about YTTV. Log in on a computer, set the guide in exactly whatever order you want it. Shows up that way on any device. Delete any channels you want (I deleted all the news channels, which you can still find in search if you want). Unlimited 1 touch dvr recording.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Flip between games easily: hit the down arrow on your remote and select from your recently watched channels. Depending on your remote, briefly hold down the Select button to return to the previous channel. 

I get no pop up commercials in the middle of a play or any weird beeping. 

Yeah, not following that at all.  Can't fathom how anyone would prefer DTV over YTTV in the year of our lord 2024.

25 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yeah, not following that at all.  Can't fathom how anyone would prefer DTV over YTTV in the year of our lord 2024.

I don’t know how many times it needs to be said, but some of us enjoy regional sports channels.   DTV Stream has been great for me until this latest bullshit.  I can’t ditch it without giving up watching the Astros down the stretch.  Due to the weirdness of baseball’s regional broadcast rights, I am in a geographic area where DTV Stream is literally the only streaming service that carries SCHN.  Fubo doesn’t have it for my zip code.   

I’ll just do the 5-day YTTV trial for this weekend and hope that Disney and DTV get their shit together before next weekend.   

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Just be aware that to get that $30 credit they are slipping in a bunch of new terms and conditions like arbitration. I’m suspicious. 

Vixtory+. It’s out. Stars are in it. Mavs are still negotiating. 

We are about to do the same. The remote for yttv so far is suboptimal. 

Yep. Downloaded it to my FireTV Cube day before yesterday.

3 hours ago, Welch said:

This is why I've held on. I don't care about the Mavs -- Go Spurs Go! -- so as soon as the Rangers dump Bally's, I don't need this any longer. Not sure I'll make it that long. The Stars are my main local pro sports love.

However, I have a new problem. Early in the morning each of the last two Thursdays, in a search for copper some dipshits have snipped the data lines in almost the same spot on the telephone poles in our neighborhood and knocked out the Internet to 150 or so homes for an entire day. This would be a real problem if we go to streaming. (My neighbor, who works for AT&T, and I are thinking about setting up shop down there with a game camera, some camp chairs, a couple of shotguns and a fifth of bourbon.)

2 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

There’s no world in which adding channel numbers to that setup isn’t superior. 

I want to go from ABC to TBS. Wheee, let’s scroll. 

Now that was fucking funny, made my morning.  Uverse hold out here....get off my lawn.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I don’t know how many times it needs to be said, but some of us enjoy regional sports channels.   DTV Stream has been great for me until this latest bullshit.  I can’t ditch it without giving up watching the Astros down the stretch.  Due to the weirdness of baseball’s regional broadcast rights, I am in a geographic area where DTV Stream is literally the only streaming service that carries SCHN.  Fubo doesn’t have it for my zip code.   

I’ll just do the 5-day YTTV trial for this weekend and hope that Disney and DTV get their shit together before next weekend.   

MLB.tv subscription ($30 for rest of year for all teams, or $25 for just Astros) + smart dns subscription ~$5 /mo can get you around the need for SCHN. I don’t watch nba so don’t need anything for rockets/etc

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm digging Sling Orange as a cheap alternative. I have an OTA antenna, so getting ABC, FOX, CBS, NBC not an issue. $40/month for ESPN, ESPN2 and 3, and TBS/TNT for baseball and basketball. It also has a traditional guide that you can populate with just your favorites. I'll probably miss one or two decent games on FS1 a year, but I'll survive.

I gave YTTV a trial figuring that I'd appreciate what I assumed would be better game broadcast quality on the streaming Network channels than the 1080i OTA, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference.

My TVs already do screen splitting, so I can put a streaming game and an OTA game on at the same time.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

The customizable guide is what I like best about YTTV. Log in on a computer, set the guide in exactly whatever order you want it. Shows up that way on any device. Delete any channels you want (I deleted all the news channels, which you can still find in search if you want). Unlimited 1 touch dvr recording.

Now this is interesting. It annoys me that in YTTV’s strategy to keep a clean interface they forgot to have an area that lists out capabilities like this. I’m freaking googling YTTV shit every five minutes. It took me forever to figure out how to do what I wanted with the LG remote. Ridiculous. I never did figure out how to do certain things. 

12 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

This thread 

Grampa Simpson Grandpa GIF by MOODMAN

I would normally agree with you, but as others have pointed out numerous times, some of the YTTV interface is very inefficient and of course lacks regional sports. I’m still determined to get comfortable enough with it to switch, but man some of it is an ass whip. 

2 hours ago, TxEx84 said:

Give me both. But hiding channels would help a lot. I just wish somewhere YTTV would have shared this golden information. Instead I have to go to the internet and follow this thread to find out the most basic info. YTTV lacks all of the intuitiveness of Apple products. 

11 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

MLB.tv subscription ($30 for rest of year for all teams, or $25 for just Astros) + smart dns subscription ~$5 /mo can get you around the need for SCHN. I don’t watch nba so don’t need anything for rockets/etc

How do I technically get my tv on a vpn?

15 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'm digging Sling Orange as a cheap alternative. I have an OTA antenna, so getting ABC, FOX, CBS, NBC not an issue. $40/month for ESPN, ESPN2 and 3, and TBS/TNT for baseball and basketball. It also has a traditional guide that you can populate with just your favorites. I'll probably miss one or two decent games on FS1 a year, but I'll survive.

I gave YTTV a trial figuring that I'd appreciate what I assumed would be better game broadcast quality on the streaming Network channels than the 1080i OTA, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference.

My TVs already do screen splitting, so I can put a streaming game and an OTA game on at the same time.

I made the mistake of signing up for a DTV stream 3 mo promo subscription on opening weekend right before they went dark on espn. 
I keep hoping they resolve this before my next month comes due but if they don’t, I’m doing this.

not sure if they still have it, but as of a couple of weeks ago, along had a 1 mo promo for only $20 for orange.

like you, I have OTA. Live in a flight path so planes scramble the signal occasionally but it’s manageable 

Edited by UTexasFight

18 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

How do I technically get my tv on a vpn?

I do it through the wifi/router settings that your TV is connecting to. I don’t actually have a vpn, just the “smart dns” service offered by Unlocator.

I have google mesh. Unlocator.com has instructions for whatever you’re trying to set up. For me, that’s just tweaking the dns settings to ‘manual’ and updating the dns server for my wifi network

the only hiccup I’ve had is when going directly to the espn app on my smarttv. It thinks I’m in another country and won’t allow the espn app to open (if I wanted to watch directly through the espn app, I’d just switch back the dns settings to “automatic”).

But everything, including espn, worked fine through the directv stream app with the manual dns settings enabled 

Edited by UTexasFight

Taking my 6 Directv DVR's to the UPS store tomorrow to return them.  I think they just want these old boxes out of circulation because that's the only way to have TVs in multiple locations without paying for separate subscriptions.  Feels good to get rid of Directv after 25 or 30 years.  Fuck 'em.  

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I have used all 3 of the streaming platforms and Youtube was my least favorite interface by far.  Fubo and DirecTV are both fine.  I would pick DTV as the best.

I have not used Fubo, but I switch between DTV Stream and my YTTV trial (right now) and I am fine with YTTV.  I prefer DTV Stream, but I have been just content with YTTV in the interim for ESPN only.