2024 CFB polls/rankings - Texas #1 /#1 (AP/Coaches)

TKthunder2

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

We are for sure staying #1. Anyone want to throw $50 on it hmu.

44 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I agree, but Bama is going to take some first place votes from us. And the Rust Belt voters probably see an opportunity to drive up fOSU. 

It could very close.

I don’t want to bet dollars, but I’m pretty confident Bama passes Texas. And even winning out, including over Georgia, wouldn’t put Texas in front of an undefeated Bama, unless they smoke Georgia. Of course, given yesterday’s game, going undefeated sounds a lot tougher. But we might be seeing a Bama Texas SEC championship game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I don’t want to bet dollars, but I’m pretty confident Bama passes Texas. And even winning out, including over Georgia, wouldn’t put Texas in front of an undefeated Bama, unless they smoke Georgia. Of course, given yesterday’s game, going undefeated sounds a lot tougher. But we might be seeing a Bama Texas SEC championship game. 

It would be one hell of a season to beat Mich, OU, Georgia, and Alabama.  Not sure we will pull that off, but hell there is a chance.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I don’t know i thought for sure the winner of last nights game would be number 1. But since the game was close and Michigan looks to re-enter the top 10, it would be easy for voters to leave us at 1 and move Bama up to 2. 

37 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I hope we drop to 3rd so the guys feel slighted and want to prove they’re #1 against ousucks and Georgia.

Ion see that unless Tenn jumps us cause tosu still hasn’t played anyone. 
no lower than 2 imo 

honestly I could still see Texas at #1 as bad as we looked and played we won by 22. 

but who cares we have to get better 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, hornbri said:

I don’t know i thought for sure the winner of last nights game would be number 1. But since the game was close and Michigan looks to re-enter the top 10, it would be easy for voters to leave us at 1 and move Bama up to 2. 

Michigan looked terrible late in their game at home yesterday.  Bad call by refs during gophers onsides kick saved Michigan win.

Blue is not a top 10 team imo...

Screenshot_20240929-090639_kindlephoto-1476025.png.b7577f039d97a840217593ef580c2aaa.png

Going by resume I think AP goes:

1) Texas

2) tOSU

3) Bama

4) Tenn

5) GA 

Northeastern voters always seem, historically, to over value the B1G. With the Texas victory over Michigan who is otherwise undefeated, I think that keeps us a 1. I could see tOSU at 3 and Bama at 2. My instinct says Texas stays at 1... but hell, I don't really know and honestly it doesn't matter. Win out and we'll be #1 at the end of the regular season. 

2 minutes ago, The_highest_of_fives said:

Upon further review not only does he keep Georgia at 2 he still has Utah above AZ.  L. O. L. 

Hah! Missed that. But I mean, really, should we put that much weight on head to head match ups when determining who is a better team. 

• Like 1

It would be annoying hearing the yapping heads yap about it, but I wouldn’t be especially heartbroken for Texas to drop. As a practical matter, it’s irrelevant. As a philosophical matter, despite the clear buy-in on culture, humans are humans and a little dose of “maybe you’re going to need to double down on the focus — and do better against the run” heading into a bye week and OU wouldn’t be the worse thing ever. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Michigan looked terrible late in their game at home yesterday.  Bad call by refs during gophers onsides kick saved Michigan win.

Blue is not a top 10 team imo...

Screenshot_20240929-090639_kindlephoto-1476025.png.b7577f039d97a840217593ef580c2aaa.png

They aren't but if they keep winning they will keep climbing. It helps Texas in that stupid aspect of the game so I'm all for it.

10 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Bama should be #1, we should be #2. We control our own destiny to make it to the SEC CCG.

Had Bama continued to put it on Georgia, then yes. Bama gave up a massive lead to Georgia at home and needed heroics, on both sides of the ball, at the end of the game, to get the win.

Big time win, but not dominant enough to deserve #1. 

I wouldn't mind if they get it, because our team would be motivated to get it back. Our guys are probably motivated enough after that clunker of a game yesterday though.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I hope we drop to 3rd so the guys feel slighted and want to prove they’re #1 against ousucks and Georgia.

after the first 4 games, the vast majority of this board, and fans of the team going back decades, felt like we had an unstoppable mean machine:

yesterday felt......   not the same..... obviously.....

but ESiPN is not pushing bama over Texas or vice versa on cfb final

and in fact, they presented arch's run to the pylon as a score

no highlights of the drops, fumbles, no mention of the mountain of yellow laundry

basically they presented the result and how we got there as "eh, it was a league game, best qb situation in the country, in sark they trust"

i type all this to say, knowing the stupidity of the voters.....  last night i too was certain bama was passing us......  and this morning i'm not so sure

the voters will see ESiPN's last stat on our game: "Texas has beaten every opponent by 15+ points"

that's an aggyPat "so what" stat that will bamboozle enough voters who didn't watch a second of our game

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

We havent played anyone. Michigan is an 8 win team

We struggled, at home, vs one of the worst P4 teams in the country. 

Everyone should be totally fine with us at 3 or 4… its doesnt fucking matter jfc

At no point yesterday was our game in doubt. Struggled is not the word I would use for that. We played our C- game and won by 22. We left like 14 points on the board from a lack of focus. Nonstop penalties on offense. Played bend, don't break for much of the game. The game was fine, we just didn't dominate as much as we expected.

• Hook 'Em 7

8 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

after the first 4 games, the vast majority of this board, and fans of the team going back decades, felt like we had an unstoppable mean machine:

no highlights of the drops, fumbles, no mention of the mountain of yellow laundry

basically they presented the result and how we got there as "eh, it was a league game, best qb situation in the country, in sark they trust"

i type all this to say, knowing the stupidity of the voters.....  last night i too was certain bama was passing us......  and this morning i'm not so sure

the voters will see ESiPN's last stat on our game: "Texas has beaten every opponent by 15+ points"

that's an aggyPat "so what" stat that will bamboozle enough voters who didn't watch a second of our game

Yeah I think this is the real key.  Our game was on SECN.  Nobody watched it.  Voters will look at the box scores, think "hmmm Texas didn't win by 50 but they still won pretty handily" and that's about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Texas remains #1.  But I'd understand if we drop a spot or two, as well.

Regardless, none of that changes how poorly the team actually played yesterday against a terrible opponent, and how much improvement is desperately needed before playing against the sooners and bulldogs.

• Hook 'Em 2

also no mention of the epic fail against the run

no mention of our fail running until klan aggy were gassed

that was not a bottom-5 team in the P4

we should pay for this performance, like a drop below tosu

i have no idea how where we land today but ESiPN power index still has us on top this morning:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi

Just now, kevwun said:

All the voters will take away from our game is Arch's stat line.  That's the main story from it.

Many headlines this morning are Manning Debuts in SEC with 300 yards and 3 TD

plenty to clean up but I love that a C performance these days is a 22 point win with that performance from our backup QB and 6 sacks and 1 garbage time TD surrendered by our D

OU sucks and we have 2 weeks to prepare and remind the country 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Everyone should be totally fine with us at 3 or 4… its doesnt fucking matter jfc

I don't anyone but Oregon and OSU on their schedule that would be favored.

Illinois will put up a fight but they don't have the depth 

This would leave michigan 9-3 

Edited by BigHornedLurker

I do think as much as they would deny it and should never be doing it at this point that this choice is where results fron last year may creep into some voters mind. 

“Well this is a team that is lead by the same QB who was the ONE to go in to Tuscaloosa and beat Alabama there”

Is it stupid?  Yes, but so are a lot of these voters  

35 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

See, I take “struggling” with someone as, they’re doing something that’s impeding our progress. Mississippi St did absolutely nothing to slow Texas down. Texas struggled with Texas.

• Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah I think this is the real key.  Our game was on SECN.  Nobody watched it.  Voters will look at the box scores, think "hmmm Texas didn't win by 50 but they still won pretty handily" and that's about it.

. . . add in the fact that we started our backup QB, too.

Don't get me wrong, I think 'bama is probably a bit better than us, but I'm not gonna lose sleep if we stay above them in the polls.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Doc Daneeka said:

It would be annoying hearing the yapping heads yap about it, but I wouldn’t be especially heartbroken for Texas to drop. As a practical matter, it’s irrelevant. As a philosophical matter, despite the clear buy-in on culture, humans are humans and a little dose of “maybe you’re going to need to double down on the focus — and do better against the run” heading into a bye week and OU wouldn’t be the worse thing ever. 

Yeah, this Texas team has to keep improving in several areas that include:

• run defense
  • rush offense
  • OL penalties
  • tackling
  • special teams 
  • protecting the ball
  • creating more turnovers

43 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i have no idea how where we land today but ESiPN power index still has us on top this morning:

"Epic fail against the run"????

MSU averaged 3 ypc. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, this Texas team has to keep improving in several areas that include:

• run defense
  • rush offense
  • OL penalties
  • tackling
  • special teams 
  • protecting the ball
  • creating more turnovers

Might  as well said everything. We absolutely need to get better at everything but so does every team in America. It’s more like nfl for me now with 12 team playoff. Win ‘em all by one and your the champion. Each game is its own set of circumstances. 

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

MSU averaged 3 ypc. 

The run defense was frustrating to watch, even given the circumstances. “Epic fail” is more fitting for a drunken rant in a game thread, though  

Sacks come out of rushing yards, so that skews the picture a little. 

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

ESPiN always drives a narrative. Recently, its been how dominating Texas has been. The final score of our game, coupled by the tight top 5 match up of UGA v Bama isn't enough to flip the script entirely given the final score of the Texas game. How that effects the idiots that vote in AP is TBD, because, in no uncertain terms, there are a lot of idiots with ballots.

MSU averaged 3 ypc. 

Of course, HC grossly over-exaggerates…

…but the run stats are skewed by negative yardage for sacks. We did allow too many third down conversions and tackling technique was too often poor…or nonexistent. All stuff that can be buttoned down this week
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

ESiPN? Side Eye Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 2