2024 CFB polls/rankings - Texas #1 /#1 (AP/Coaches)

TKthunder2

32 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, this Texas team has to keep improving in several areas that include:

• run defense
  • rush offense
  • OL penalties
  • tackling
  • special teams 
  • protecting the ball
  • creating more turnovers

You forgot a couple

- kicking more ass

- more tittys in the stands

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Just now, Horn Dogg said:

You forgot a couple

- kicking more ass

- more tittys in the stands

Well, you can't hold our coaching staff responsible for the camera work. Reflecting upon that reality, I need to pull more for USC to win games and make the playoffs. I don't see ASU being worth my efforts at this point. 

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

We havent played anyone. Michigan is an 8 win team

We struggled, at home, vs one of the worst P4 teams in the country. 

Everyone should be totally fine with us at 3 or 4… its doesnt fucking matter jfc

USC got beat by UM on the road and we beat UM like a drum in the same stadium. We are doing work and have literally never trailed all season. Go fuck yourself. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

23 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

"Epic fail against the run"????

MSU averaged 3 ypc. 

i just searched but did not find the halftime stats

the stuffs behind the los from the first 4 games were fewer and farther between

our inability to run is not as concerning

the feelinig like we can be run on and can't stop the run is concerning and that's how i felt in the first half

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

USC got beat by UM on the road and we beat UM like a drum in the same stadium. We are doing work and have literally never trailed all season. Go fuck yourself. 

Michigan only beat minesota (the same minnesota that lost at home to iowa by 17 and lost at home to unc) at home yesterday by 3. Michigan is an 8 win team that will be unranked at the end of the season. They start fucking alex orgi for crying out loud. Jfc

3 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

Did anyone notice how much Brett McMurphy and Cliff Clavin look suspiciously similar?  And ... you never see them both in the same place ... hmmm

images (1).jpeg

94620-cliff-clavin.jpg

Well, here's the thing about Brett McMurphy. Did you know the Murphy name is derived from the Irish personal name "Murchadh", which meant sea-warrior or sea-battler. As for the Mic portion, that comes from the Gaelic word mac, which means "son of". So, as such we can safely assume that Brett's father was a Navy Veteran likely during World War Two.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Michigan only beat minesota (the same minnesota that lost at home to iowa by 17 and lost at home to unc) at home yesterday by 3. Michigan is an 8 win team that will be unranked at the end of the season. They start fucking alex orgi for crying out loud. Jfc

I didn’t watch that game but I do wonder how a 21-3 lead after 3 quarters just evaporates in 1 quarter. Like, what changed?

but bama had the same thing happen to them, albeit against a much better team. 

Auburn did something similar against ou but it was 11 points I think and it was one fluke deep pass and a pick 6. Ou offense basically made 2 big plays all game (one early and one late), and the defense scored and that was enough to beat Auburn. 

10 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Who has Ohio State beaten? Why the fuck would we be 3 or 4? Such a garbage hot take. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'd put Michigan above Ole Miss and frankly, Miami (who were gifted a win by the ACC).  They will be ~ 10, which is a pretty decent win on our resume at this point.  They might lose to Oregon, they almost surely will lose to tOSU.  That's 9-3 and very reasonable barring an upset.

4 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

Didn't see that coming from the coaches poll.

Coaches rarely do anything exciting /jump teams over each other with the same record.

Plus I’m sure there are plenty of them that don’t realize what year it is and say we have scoreboard on bama.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, skipmcgee said:

#1 in the Coaches’ for the first time this season.

https://sportsdata.usatoday.com/football/ncaaf/coaches-poll

I actually agree with the coaches poll. Great list.

I could see Bama moving to #1 in the AP but I am glad that the coaches still are respecting our head to head win against them in Tuscaloosa last year. 

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Coaches tend to realize winning is hard

I like the joke. But in reality coaches tend to realize oh fuck I forgot to vote and text their GA to take care of it because they don't have time for that shit on a Sunday morning. 

Edited by pops

23 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I actually agree with the coaches poll. Great list.

I could see Bama moving to #1 in the AP but I am glad that the coaches still are respecting our head to head win against them in Tuscaloosa last year. 

A win last year has zero to do with it. 

• Like 1

Texas edges Alabama as new No. 1 in US LBM Coaches Poll after Crimson Tide's defeat of Georgia

An exciting weekend of action in college football sent shockwaves through the US LBM Coaches Poll.

Texas replaces Georgia at No. 1, narrowly holding off Alabama. The Longhorns received 29 of 55 first-place votes and finish just nine poll points ahead of the Crimson Tide. It is the first No. 1 appearance for Texas in the coaches poll since Oct. 26, 2008.

Alabama was voted first on 19 ballots after its thrilling win against Georgia. The remaining seven top votes went to Ohio State, which holds at No. 3 overall after winning its Big Ten opener at Michigan State. Tennessee moves up to No. 4 after having the week off as Georgia slips to fifth.

Two other top-10 teams went down to defeat over the weekend, both at home. Mississippi slides six places to No. 11 after a home loss to Kentucky, and Utah tumbles eight spots to No. 18 following its defeat to Arizona.

Those results left room for advancement in the lower half of the top 10. No. 6 Oregon, No. 7 Penn State and No 8 Miami (Fla.) each move up a notch. Missouri jumps to No. 9, and Michigan returns to the top 10.

The lone newcomer to the Top 25 this week is Indiana, off to an impressive 5-0 start. It is the first poll appearance for the Hoosiers since the preseason rankings in 2021. Illinois hangs on at No. 25 after its loss at Penn State, finishing 19 points ahead of Boise State.

Winners

Notre Dame

No. 14 Notre Dame is never going to live down this month’s loss to Northern Illinois, especially with the Huskies dropping two of three since the upset in South Bend. But the College Football Playoff math still favors the Fighting Irish: win out and you’re (very likely) in the 12-team field. Saturday’s 31-24 victory against No. 17 Louisville will help repair Notre Dame’s reputation. In a game they had to have given the lack of major contenders on this year’s schedule, the Fighting Irish overcame a sloppy start to beat a team ranked near the top of the ACC. In fact, this win against the Cardinals may end up being the high point on Notre Dame’s record heading into the final playoff rankings in early December.

Kansas State

After a stunning loss at No. 22 Brigham Young last weekend, No. 25 Kansas State rebounded with a very solid 42-20 win at home against No. 20 Oklahoma State. With a balanced offense that accounted for 559 total yards — 300 yards running and 259 yards passing — the Wildcats showed why they are one of the elite teams in the Big 12 and a genuine playoff threat. While he had one puzzling interception and might’ve missed on one or two potential big gains through the air, quarterback Avery Johnson finished with 319 yards of total offense and five touchdowns. This performance puts KSU back on track to compete with No. 10 Utah and No. 19 Iowa State for the league’s playoff bid.

Kentucky

Confusing, confounding, impossible to predict and a team that could make some big noise on the way through SEC play. After losing by 25 points to South Carolina and barely losing to Georgia two weeks ago, Kentucky pulled off one of the shocking upsets of the season’s opening month by topping No. 5 Mississippi 20-17. Trailing 17-13 with about five minutes left, the Wildcats went 83 yards in six plays to take the lead and then made a big defensive stand to force the Rebels into a missed 48-yard field goal with under a minute remaining. With Vanderbilt, Florida and Auburn up next, Kentucky could get into the Top 25 before hosting No. 6 Tennessee in October.

Southern California

One week after coming up just short in a 27-24 loss at No. 12 Michigan, the No. 16 Trojans overcame a 21-10 halftime deficit and beat Wisconsin 38-21 for the program’s first win in Big Ten play. The second-half surge that nearly sparked a win in Ann Arbor didn’t immediately carry over against the Badgers, who made the most of three USC turnovers to jump in front at the break. But the Trojans dominated the final two quarters against the Badgers, delivering the coup de grace via a pick-six with five minutes left. USC also dominated possession and shut down the Badgers’ running game to avoid a loss that would’ve doomed any hopes of making the playoff.

Colorado

For the first time under Deion Sanders, Colorado looks like a legitimate Power Four team and a real contender to get to six wins and a bowl game. Facing off as two-score underdogs at Central Florida, the Buffaloes rolled over the Knights in a 48-21 win highlighted by a big night from Shedeur Sanders and more brilliant play from Heisman Trophy favorite Travis Hunter. Sanders completed 28 of 35 throws for 290 yards and three scores while Hunter had 89 receiving yards, a touchdown grab and an interception. Now 4-1 and 2-0 in the Big 12, Colorado needs just two more wins to reach the postseason for the first time since 2020 and just the third time since 2007.

UNLV

No. 23 UNLV had spent this week on the front page due to the drama surrounding former quarterback Matt Sluka, who started the first three games but left the program amid a stunning back and forth over his NIL package. Not that you could tell based on Saturday’s 59-14 rout over Fresno State. Sluka was not missed in the least: Backup Hajj-Malik Williams stepped into the starting role and was terrific, completing 13 of 16 throws for 182 yards and three touchdowns with another 119 yards and a score on the ground. The Rebels were able put this week in their rearview mirror and will remain among the leading contenders for the playoff among the Group of Five.

Losers

Mississippi

Stunning, to put things as lightly and kindly as possible. The Rebels had not lost as a double-digit favorite under fifth-year coach Lane Kiffin but never got into a rhythm due to Kentucky’s ability to control tempo, leading to the sort of loss that could mean the difference between an at-large playoff bid and a second-level bowl game. Looking toward December, the Rebels will have to take two of three against No. 13 LSU, No. 18 Oklahoma and No. 1 Georgia to be a factor in the playoff conversation.

Florida State

Bad has officially been replaced by worse, and the worst is hanging just around the corner. Florida State is now 1-4 after getting badly outplayed by SMU in the Mustangs’ home ACC debut. The 42-16 loss included everything the Seminoles do terribly: throw the ball, run the ball, block, tackle, score points, play football. And after steadying the ship with last week’s 14-9 defeat of California, the loss shows how far FSU has fallen since last year’s ACC championship. Just to reiterate: FSU lost by 26 points to SMU. If this wasn't already certain, the Seminoles are the biggest disappointment of the season.

Alabama-Birmingham

The decision to hire Trent Dilfer — one of the least experienced head coaches in modern FBS history — has backfired terribly on UAB, which had posted six winning seasons in a row heading into 2023 but is now a woeful 5-12 under the former NFL quarterback after losing 41-18 at home to Navy. Hiring Dilfer in the first place over a bunch of qualified candidates, including former interim coach and current Louisiana-Monroe coach Bryant Vincent, gave the strong impression that UAB was a deeply unserious program. Now one of the worst teams in the American Athletic, the Dilfer-led Blazers are becoming a laughingstock.

Ollie Gordon

Has anyone seen Oklahoma State’s All-America running back? Don’t put all the blame on Gordon, who showed across the first two series against Kansas State that he’s still one of most top runners in college football. Let’s look instead at the Cowboys’ willingness to ignore one of the nation’s best skill talents: Gordon had 10 carries for 69 yards on those first two possessions but just five carries for seven yards the rest of the way. After going for 128 yards in the opener against South Dakota State, Gordon has just 208 yards in four games against FBS competition. His odds of taking home any postseason hardware are as dead as the Cowboys’ playoff hopes.

Wisconsin

The current state of Wisconsin football can be seen in a key fourth down in USC territory in the third quarter. Needing a yard, the Badgers lined up in shotgun, ran into the line of scrimmage and came up short. Ahead 21-17 at that moment, Wisconsin wouldn’t score again. This team is not physical, not athletic, not explosive, not tough and not built in any way that resembles the identity that defined the program for decades. Instead, this looks like a program in clear decline with no obvious path back to relevancy.

Mack Brown

The writing is on the wall for Brown’s second tenure at North Carolina after the Tar Heels coughed up a 21-20 loss to rival Duke. You have to wonder which is worse: Last week’s 70-50 loss to James Madison, which dropped 53 points at halftime, or giving away a 20-0 lead to your fiercest rival. The defeat to JMU was so terrible that Brown had to respond to rumors that he was planning to step down early in his sixth season. Handing away what looked like a surefire win against the Blue Devils raises the odds that this is Brown’s last season.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Am I blind or did A&M vanish from the poll entirely

4 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

lol aggy dropped out after winning

That's what happens when you don't cover the spread against Arkansas. Poverty program. 

I don’t really care but Bama absolutely being LOST in the 2nd half and should have lost that game is more significant than gong up big early. 

They were outscored 34-13 in the 2nd half. This wasn’t “garbage time” against prevent defense. Georgia had the lead late.  

if anything it shows their defense isn’t bama of old.  And with that bad win over USF(which I’d say was worse t than Texas yesterday over Miss St) you can’t really say their resume is that much better imo.  

but in the end don’t matter. Even a loss won’t.  Get to the sec title game and win the sec and you’re the 1 seed