2024 CFB polls/rankings - Texas #1 /#1 (AP/Coaches)

TKthunder2

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d keep an eye on fOSU. They have a lot of ranked opponents left, and they’ll probably beat Oregon or Penn State twice. Pretty plausible they get the 1 seed in December. 

An undefeated SEC champion will be the 1 seed.    

1 minute ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always gonna be an uphill battle
Sometimes you're gonna have to lose
Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb.

Miley Cyrus

Miley Cyrus Rotum GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Funny thing is that we could beat Michigan, Georgia, the rest of the regular season schedule, and bama in the sec cg, and still would have to beat 3 very good teams to win the championship. Maybe Georgia and Alabama both again. 

It is kind of like a NFL season now. One game at a time.

Oh shit we are still #1! I did not see that coming. But I will take it.

1 minute ago, Wishbone said:

I’d rather not be no. 1 until after the final game of the season. No. 2 or 3 seems ideal and the external pressure is a little abated during the season. Besides, it still leaves a bit of motivation to get there.

Nah. The pressure is always going to be there. #1 is great for prestige and recruiting and all that good stuff.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Oh shit we are still #1! I did not see that coming. But I will take it.

Nah. The pressure is always going to be there. #1 is great for prestige and recruiting and all that good stuff.

I get that. Pressure may not be more or less but it’s just extra circus to deal with. Jmo.

Kentucky getting only six votes is puzzling to me.  They just beat Mississippi at Oxford and lost by 1 to Georgia.

I'll acknowledge that the loss to South Carolina was not great (to put it mildly), but isn't that what we expect of teams in that 20-25 range?

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Probably as good as a place as any to ask…

So if Texas. Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee all finish with 1 loss, how are the Championship Game opponents decided? Is it highest ranked in Committee Poll? Or some convoluted Big XII-esque matrix?

If it’s the latter, I think we’d be on the outside looking in because we’d be 0-1 against the other 3 teams.

*Now’s the part where I hope I’m not overlooking an obvious factor that shows all four teams finishing with 1 loss is impossible

Well and if this all happened, what is interesting is the winner of the SEC title game would get the 1 seed, and one of the other 1 loss SEC teams would get the 5 seed, not the loser of the SEC title game who would now have 2 losses (still making the playoffs). 

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Kentucky getting only six votes is puzzling to me.  They just beat Mississippi at Oxford and lost by 1 to Georgia.

I'll acknowledge that the loss to South Carolina was not great (to put it mildly), but isn't that what we expect of teams in that 20-25 range?

There's a lot of shit that doesn't make any sense from like 15 through receiving votes. 

3 minutes ago, hornbri said:

Well and if this all happened, what is interesting is the winner of the SEC title game would get the 1 seed, and one of the other 1 loss SEC teams would get the 5 seed, not the loser of the SEC title game who would now have 2 losses (still making the playoffs). 

Maybe, maybe not. It’s not a foregone conclusion that the loser of the SEC championship game is seeded higher than the SEC third place team. It would be kind of silly, really, to seed the third place team higher absent odd circumstances. 

3 hours ago, pops said:

I like the joke. But in reality coaches tend to realize oh fuck I forgot to vote and text their GA to take care of it because they don't have time for that shit on a Sunday morning. 

This

31 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

It don't make a shit. Win.

This

1 hour ago, Wishbone said:

I’d rather not be no. 1 until after the final game of the season. No. 2 or 3 seems ideal and the external pressure is a little abated during the season. Besides, it still leaves a bit of motivation to get there.

Christ almighty I wish I could do a drive by on all Texas fans who whine about being ranked high.  It's the single worst aspect about this fan base.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Christ almighty I wish I could do a drive by on all Texas fans who whine about being ranked high.  It's the single worst aspect about this fan base.

Lol, are you new to being a Texas fan and Surly?

We could win the rest of our games, through to the National Championship and the title by a score of 299 to zero with zero dropped passes. Still, Texas fans, particularly Surly, complain and fight the entire time and worry non-stop about Texas' ranking the START of the 2025 season. 

• TKthunder2 changed the title to 2024 CFB polls/rankings - Texas #2 /#1 (AP/Coaches)

Random thoughts:

- I believe every Big 12 CCG has featured a 2 loss team or worse since they brought it back. Everybody is heaving dirt on Okie State right now, but they’ve had weirder seasons than winning out this year. After the Utah loss last night, I don’t see many paths for them to get 2 teams in. The best path was Utah and BYU splitting the Holy War and the CCG and each team finishing with 1 loss. Maybe a 1 loss K Steak gets revenge and the knocks off an undefeated BYU in the CCG and they get 2 in. 

- Good to excellent chance Clemson wins the ACC and is seeded higher than Georgia. When people say the regular season doesn’t matter anymore, they’ll point to this example. The ACC was pretty clever not to schedule Clemson and Miami in the regular season. I think a 1 loss Miami would be in, and I’m convinced they’d lose to Clemson if they played today. That’s how you game scheduling folks. 

- I’m pretty concerned Liberty wins out and gets the 12th seed. Their schedule is a joke and they just canceled a game against their toughest remaining opponent. I pray they slip up. A 12-0 Liberty, best win is East Carolina,, in the CFP is going to deeply piss BIG and SEC fans that get left out. It’s why I don’t think the current model is long for this world. That said, a Texas home game against Liberty is the next thing to a bye. 

2 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I would rather be the overall 2 seed as the SEC champion, much easier bracket.  

Yeah it starting to look this way, as a top 4 seed the best bet is to avoid the 5 seed which is looking to be the SEC team shut out of the conf championship game. So 2 or 3 are better than 1 or 4.

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m pretty concerned Liberty wins out and gets the 12th seed. Their schedule is a joke and they just canceled a game against their toughest remaining opponent. I pray they slip up. A 12-0 Liberty, best win is East Carolina,, in the CFP is going to deeply piss BIG and SEC fans that get left out. 

The counter-argument is that getting a G5 team in the playoffs builds interest in leagues that otherwise might not give a shit... plus it adds a Cinderella to the dance like in March madness.  

*Unless Texas finishes 12 and gets left out, in which case let me go ahead and say, "The system is a fucking joke.  We would mudhole those clowns with all 22 starters on the bench.  Ridiculous!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I think every great once in a while (like once a decade) a 12 might knock off a 5 and a Cinderella emerges, but this ain't basketball where one dude can make such a HUGE difference on the court. And football keeps getting tilted more and more to the heavyweights.  

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Random thoughts:

- I believe every Big 12 CCG has featured a 2 loss team or worse since they brought it back. Everybody is heaving dirt on Okie State right now, but they’ve had weirder seasons than winning out this year. After the Utah loss last night, I don’t see many paths for them to get 2 teams in. The best path was Utah and BYU splitting the Holy War and the CCG and each team finishing with 1 loss. Maybe a 1 loss K Steak gets revenge and the knocks off an undefeated BYU in the CCG and they get 2 in. 

- Good to excellent chance Clemson wins the ACC and is seeded higher than Georgia. When people say the regular season doesn’t matter anymore, they’ll point to this example. The ACC was pretty clever not to schedule Clemson and Miami in the regular season. I think a 1 loss Miami would be in, and I’m convinced they’d lose to Clemson if they played today. That’s how you game scheduling folks. 

- I’m pretty concerned Liberty wins out and gets the 12th seed. Their schedule is a joke and they just canceled a game against their toughest remaining opponent. I pray they slip up. A 12-0 Liberty, best win is East Carolina,, in the CFP is going to deeply piss BIG and SEC fans that get left out. It’s why I don’t think the current model is long for this world. That said, a Texas home game against Liberty is the next thing to a bye. 

Whether Liberty wins out or not, a G5 team will get the 12 spot. The current format is dogshit tbh. Way too many flaws with the seeding. My preference would've been 8 teams and no automatic bids/bye weeks. There's never been more than 8 teams that deserved at shot at a title.. but that obviously isn't gonna happen.

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Or... and I'm just spit balling here so stick with me.. there is.. and I know it sounds stupid at first.. the alternative. We just win them all and let God sort it out.

jesus GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, TXpride said:

Whether Liberty wins out or not, a G5 team will get the 12 spot. The current format is dogshit tbh. Way too many flaws with the seeding. My preference would've been 8 teams and no automatic bids/bye weeks. There's never been more than 8 teams that deserved at shot at a title.. but that obviously isn't gonna happen.

Huh? If Liberty is the highest ranked G5 champ they absolutely will get the 12 seed.  

not sure why you think they wouldn’t. 

1 minute ago, TXpride said:

While I agree, they have to incentivize conference champions for TV + tickets. For your system to work, they’d all have to agree to no CC games which is never going to happen. 

18 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

image.png.234dd2b1dd30cb914d03966896651ef8.png

2019  preseason 12th - finished unranked

2020  preseason 13th - finished 4th *covid*

2021  preseason 6th - finished unranked

2022 preseason 6th - finished unranked

2023  preseason 23th - finished unranked

2024 preseason 20th - current unranked

Things that make you say hmmm.....

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Gaffords said:

What do you mean current unranked? Them Texas Fightin' aggies are the co-#25 ranked team in the entire United States of America, ya stoopid 'sip!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Michigan only beat minesota (the same minnesota that lost at home to iowa by 17 and lost at home to unc) at home yesterday by 3. Michigan is an 8 win team that will be unranked at the end of the season. They start fucking alex orgi for crying out loud. Jfc

The Joker Film GIF

Greenspoint headed to post on Surly. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Drew said:

Huh? If Liberty is the highest ranked G5 champ they absolutely will get the 12 seed.  

not sure why you think they wouldn’t. 

I don't think they wouldn't..

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

While I agree, they have to incentivize conference champions for TV + tickets. For your system to work, they’d all have to agree to no CC games which is never going to happen. 

Why would they agree to no CC games? The Big 12 brought back its CC game to avoid another 2014 TCU situation. Just because they don't result in automatic bids doesn't mean they can't boost a conference's profile (and make money).

2 minutes ago, TXpride said:

I don't think they wouldn't..

Why would they agree to no CC games? The Big 12 brought back its CC game to avoid another 2014 TCU situation. Just because they don't result in automatic bids doesn't mean they can't boost a conference's profile (and make money).

Like what?  It’s written in that the highest ranked G5 champ will get an automatic bid. 

am I taking crazy pills? 

12 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

more like:

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

1 minute ago, Drew said:

Like what?  It’s written in that the highest ranked G5 champ will get an automatic bid. 

am I taking crazy pills? 

Yes, you are.

My post: "Whether Liberty wins out or not, a G5 team will get the 12 spot."

1 minute ago, Drew said:

am I taking crazy pills? 

Yes. 

He was originally saying whether it’s Liberty winning out, or someone else, there will still be a g5 champ there. 

3 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always gonna be an uphill battle
Sometimes you're gonna have to lose
Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb.

Miley Cyrus

Surly is quoting Miley Cyrus now? Really? That just breaks my achy breaky heart. 

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

One thing I will be interested in is how fanbases deal with CFP travel.  Nevermind the first round which would have the higher seeded teams playing at home (which is still travel for some of their fans....but at least probably travel they are used to) I saw a projection today that could have us in the Fiesta Bowl out in Glendale, then the next week in the Orange Bowl in Miami and then if those are both won, the NC Game in Atlanta.    LOL at the idea of following that around.  Now Texas and some others are big enough schools with deep enough fanbases to probably make each game work, but a lot of schools are not going to be. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

For once, I’ll agree that aggy has legitimate beef with the polls. They should be in the AP Poll’s top 25. 2 SEC wins, competitive loss to Notre Dame, and ranked 21st in the Coaches.

ND, huh? The same ND that lost at home to (checks notes) NIU?

• Hook 'Em 1