2024 CFB polls/rankings - Texas #1 /#1 (AP/Coaches)

TKthunder2

57 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I think every great once in a while (like once a decade) a 12 might knock off a 5 and a Cinderella emerges, but this ain't basketball where one dude can make such a HUGE difference on the court. And football keeps getting tilted more and more to the heavyweights.  

I don't know man. I think it might happen more often than you think. 

Boise St. almost beat Oregon on the road earlier this season and that's basically what the 5/12 is going to look like most seasons.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

One thing I will be interested in is how fanbases deal with CFP travel.  Nevermind the first round which would have the higher seeded teams playing at home (which is still travel for some of their fans....but at least probably travel they are used to) I saw a projection today that could have us in the Fiesta Bowl out in Glendale, then the next week in the Orange Bowl in Miami and then if those are both won, the NC Game in Atlanta.    LOL at the idea of following that around.  Now Texas and some others are big enough schools with deep enough fanbases to probably make each game work, but a lot of schools are not going to be. 

There are plenty of people, myself included in the past that travel more than that regularly. I'm not saying it is a cake walk but its not particularly taxing. For 10 years I lived in Chicago and missed 1 home game the entire time, AND traveled for work weekly. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

For once, I’ll agree that aggy has legitimate beef with the polls. They should be in the AP Poll’s top 25. 2 SEC wins, competitive loss to Notre Dame, and ranked 21st in the Coaches.

Nah they’re ranked right where they should be. They’ll get plenty of chances to move up in the coming weeks. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I don't know man. I think it might happen more often than you think. 

Boise St. almost beat Oregon on the road earlier this season and that's basically what the 5/12 is going to look like most seasons.

So, in your example of it happening more often than he thinks... it didnt?

8 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

I mean….that’s about a 2 out of 10 on the Egregiousness Scale for KB

I don’t like or trust KB’s opinion, he goes way too far out of his way to try not to look like a Texas homer doing stupid ass shit like voting Reggie Bush #1 on his Heisman ballot after watching Vince mother fucking Young in person absolutely dominate all year.

But credit where credit is due, he voted Texas #1 in the last two weeks and now has us at #2. With the 12 team playoff, and the SEC not using dumbass polls to determine its championship participants (fuck you forever Big12) isn’t all that important and is a position that can be easily defended.

12 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

I don’t like or trust KB’s opinion, he goes way too far out of his way to try not to look like a Texas homer doing stupid ass shit like voting Reggie Bush #1 on his Heisman ballot after watching Vince mother fucking Young in person absolutely dominate all year.

But credit where credit is due, he voted Texas #1 in the last two weeks and now has us at #2. With the 12 team playoff, and the SEC not using dumbass polls to determine its championship participants (fuck you forever Big12) isn’t all that important and is a position that can be easily defended.

Fuck. Kurt.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Ryen Russillo does a top 12 every week and kept us 1. Bama 2. Dropped UGA to 8. 

Also Matt Leinart last week said he could probably get Russillo a Heisman vote. Need to get him an AP vote, too. He's had an NBA end-of-season vote for a few years now. 

Edited by ztejas

Future SEC games featuring current SEC teams with no conf losses:

• Oct 5: Missou at Texas A&M
  • Oct 19: Alabama at Tenn
  • Oct 26: Missou at Alabama
  • Oct 26: LSU at Texas A&M
  • Nov 9: Alabama at LSU
  • Nov 30: Texas at Texas A&M

If Texas and Alabama win out, they're the only two with no conf losses.

Alabama and Texas A&M control their own destiny.

It's possible for Texas, LSU, Tenn, and Missou to have no conf losses going into the SEC championship.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 9/30/2024 at 1:32 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

For once, I’ll agree that aggy has legitimate beef with the polls. They should be in the AP Poll’s top 25. 2 SEC wins, competitive loss to Notre Dame, and ranked 21st in the Coaches.

image.jpeg.df3efc69bd73d633a82ac16394166170.jpeg

• Haha 7

On 9/29/2024 at 7:32 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

It's the opposite.  There are 20 undefeated teams right now. 

And a lot of 1-loss teams have better or equitable arguments: UGA, UM, OU, Notre Dame, USCe, LSU, USCw, Kansas State, Ole Miss, Wazzou, Boise St, Nebraska, Colorado, Clemson, Boston College.

They are co-25th right now because they are getting a lot of benefit of the doubt.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/29/2024 at 9:03 PM, BigHornedLurker said:

What has aggy ever done to deserve any respect from any polls ? 

Exactly.  Their complete lack of awareness about this very thing is what makes them aggy.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Yesh said:

1 - Texas 

2 - Ohio State 

3 - blank

4 - blank

5 - blank

6 - Georgia/Oregon/Penn State 

Texas

….

Ohio state

Oregon/georgia/penn st/bama? 

Just now, UTexasFight said:

Gameday stays in the pacific time zone next week.

Coming to our citaaaayyy on the 19th.

and then college station on 11/30

3 times in the regular season for the #1 teams feels about right 

Night game and game day. 
200.gif

19 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

1. Texas

2. tOSU

3. Georgia

4. Oregon

5. Pedo St.

6. Bama

7. Ole Miss

8. Tennessee

9. LSU

10. Notre Dame

Nah, Oregon still undefeated, should be 3. Georgia will take that spot when one of them loses next weekend.

Just now, Billy Pilgrim said:

Nah, Oregon still undefeated, should be 3. Georgia will take that spot when one of them loses next weekend.

Oregon was ranked behind Georgia this week. Not sure either of their wins would mean enough to jump Oregon over Georgia.

• Hook 'Em 1

1. Texas
2. tOSU
3. Georgia
4. Oregon
5. Pedo St.
6. Bama
7. Ole Miss
8. Tennessee
9. LSU
10. Notre Dame

I want to hear the mental gymnastics when they explain why Bama gets dropped below Georgia who they beat just last week. If you say Bama isn't as good as everyone thought, then Georgia isn't that good either. Both with 1 loss with a H2H match up that already took place. I'd drop Bama, but I'd also drop Georgia despite their win this week.

1. Texas
2. Ohio St
3. Oregon
4. Penn St
5. Alabama
6. Georgia
7-25. Who cares?
  • Hook 'Em 6

4 hours ago, Modessit said:

I want to hear the mental gymnastics when they explain why Bama gets dropped below Georgia who they beat just last week. If you say Bama isn't as good as everyone thought, then Georgia isn't that good either. Both with 1 loss with a H2H match up that already took place. I'd drop Bama, but I'd also drop Georgia despite their win this week.

1. Texas
2. Ohio St
3. Oregon
4. Penn St
5. Alabama
6. Georgia
7-25. Who cares?

If I were going to make the argument, I’d say that Alabama won at home and based on that game and the Vanderbilt one, UGA is a better team at a neutral site. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Oregon was ranked behind Georgia this week. Not sure either of their wins would mean enough to jump Oregon over Georgia.

Georgia has moved into that Bama spot where their "talent" outweighs any onfield shortcomings your lying eyes think you see.  They would have won the playoff last year, obviously!

• Hook 'Em 3