2024 CFB polls/rankings - Texas #1 /#2 (AP/Coaches)

TKthunder2

On 9/3/2024 at 9:46 PM, Paul Wesley said:

That's rough.  

In one of Mack's first few years, I think we played UCLA, Nebraska, and K-State... at one point it was like 3 of the top 4 in the AP poll, and maybe all of them on the road (I may be getting the year/teams slightly off, but it was something like that).  

Whatever it was, the OU schedule this year is pretty rough.

nothing will touch october 2008 when in 4 consecutive weeks we played #1 (w), #11 (w), #7 (w) & #6 (gideon)

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Bama Llama said:

I’m as Bama as it gets but anyone who believes the team I watched struggle to play basic football for 50 minutes last night is in the upper tier of the top 25, much less the top 10, is delusional or blind.  Unless something drastic changes, we will be seriously challenged in most of our remaining games and all of the away games (Wisconsin, Vandy, Tenn, LSU, OU).  USF had receivers open for TDs behind or defense four or five times last night and overthrew them every time.  Our O line play was C- at best and we made their QB look like Cam (spit on ground) Newton in a Heisman moment when he ran keepers.  Thank God he can’t throw for shit or we’d be in the hot garbage bin todsy with ND, Michigan and Auburn (Patoo!).

Sark’s only problem is keeping your guys’ Lambo premiums current.  Nice job castrating the Wool Marines, BTW.  Couldn’t happen to a more deserving front runner gang.

Still, hope springs eternal.

USF has some talent on O. I wouldn't be too down about that. Now your right tackle...

• Like 1

I’m as Bama as it gets but anyone who believes the team I watched struggle to play basic football for 50 minutes last night is in the upper tier of the top 25, much less the top 10, is delusional or blind.  Unless something drastic changes, we will be seriously challenged in most of our remaining games and all of the away games (Wisconsin, Vandy, Tenn, LSU, OU).  USF had receivers open for TDs behind or defense four or five times last night and overthrew them every time.  Our O line play was C- at best and we made their QB look like Cam (spit on ground) Newton in a Heisman moment when he ran keepers.  Thank God he can’t throw for shit or we’d be in the hot garbage bin todsy with ND, Michigan and Auburn (Patoo!).
Sark’s only problem is keeping your guys’ Lambo premiums current.  Nice job castrating the Wool Marines, BTW.  Couldn’t happen to a more deserving front runner gang.
Still, hope springs eternal.

Wool Marines lmao

39 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

That many voters with Bama still in their Top 5 makes me wonder if they turned off their TVs at 7 pm. 

its like always is with the fucking voters.  unless its a massive game, they dont watch or pay that much attention and they just look at the final score.

which in this game, the final score looked like a blowout that they just didnt cover.  not that it was a 1 score game with 5 mins left in the game. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

its like always is with the fucking voters.  unless its a massive game, they dont watch or pay that much attention and they just look at the final score.

which in this game, the final score looked like a blowout that they just didnt cover.  not that it was a 1 score game with 5 mins left in the game. 

Some of the worst Bama offense I've seen since pre-Saban. Total ineptitude play after play. Even aggy might have beaten them last night. But as you note, the score looked decent in a week when several other Top 10 teams melted down. 

I’m shocked they actually moved Texas up. Makes you think most understand there are clearly 2 top teams who have actually played and dominated more than a scrub team, and aren’t stuck with their original thought 

and yes, Bama and Penn St should have fallen like Oregon did last week. They got worked In their games.  

Tennessee and Ole Miss should be higher. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Poll inertia is funny and I don't think most of the voters watch nearly as much football as the rest of us do. Why on earth should OU be ahead of Nebraska? What evidence is there that Louisville is worse than Notre Dame? I get that voters don't want to drop a program like Alabama barring a loss, but Tennessee looks miles ahead of them. Wish the polls were a little more dynamic. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

Poll inertia is funny and I don't think most of the voters watch nearly as much football as the rest of us do. Why on earth should OU be ahead of Nebraska? What evidence is there that Louisville is worse than Notre Dame? I get that voters don't want to drop a program like Alabama barring a loss, but Tennessee looks miles ahead of them. Wish the polls were a little more dynamic. 

How the hell is Oregon still in the Top 10 when they barely got past both Idaho and Boise?

• Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

You can't make this up, even though I tried to earlier and I was pretty close to correct.

Easy to predict troll behavior.

Note the headline of "UT into 2nd place" what a clown.

https://gigemgazette.com/posts/power-ranking-the-sec-after-week-2-ut-into-second-place-pass-rush-lifts-sc-01j7bjghy7c3/11

#7 Texas Longhorns - previous ranking #6

Longhorn fans are basking in the glow of what currently is a top-10 win, as well they should. Nothing wrong with getting excited about a win in one of the twelve games you’re guaranteed in the course of a season.

But in reality, that was a game that told us a lot more about Michigan than it did about Texas. The Wolverines in this post-Harbaugh era, despite retaining Mason Graham and Will Johnson, look positively dreadful.

It’s not just me that’s thinking this: Texas beat writers were already calling out the fact that this is a Wolverine team that is more likely to end 6-6 than 9-3.

With that in mind, we should treat this game similarly to how we would if (and likely when) the Longhorns beat Vanderbilt later this year: nice, but we have to consider the quality of opponent.

I’ll continue to hammer on these concerns that have been evident so far this year: the offensive and defensive lines have simply looked a little bit soft so far. Sark is great at scheming up some runs, but the push from the OL has left something to be desired. The PPA/Rush for the Longhorns against CSU was just barely over what A&M managed against Notre Dame, and far below that mark against Michigan.

Similarly, the rush defense has not at all looked like it did last year. They were able to key in on the rushing attack of the Wolverines given the general ineptitude of the UM quarterbacks, but even then it was still just an okay performance.

Overall, there are still a lot more questions than most Longhorn fans want to acknowledge at this point. I think they’re probably a top-15 team, but there’s more that needs to be proven.

#6 Texas A&M Previous ranking #5

Both the Aggies and Longhorns would have remained static in this week’s rankings, but I ended up moving a team up from below them, hence the fall by one spot each. Of course, the Aggies dominated a weak opponent in McNeese, as they should have, but they did so in a way that answered a lot of questions for the fanbase.

As I said in my postgame reaction, you’re still going to have those who discount this win simply because of the opponent, but a close look reveals some huge positives. The biggest concern, frankly, is the Aggies’ ability to stay disciplined against outside run games, which is both 1) very specific and 2) very fixable.

I say that’s the biggest concern, but you’ll have those still very ready to doubt the passing game, which I understand given how game one went. But given Weigman’s entire body of work, I think it would be foolish to write him off based on that.

You could see no. 15 getting steadily more comfortable as the game went on this Saturday. He’s under a microscope right now from the fanbase, but the location on his deep throws especially was really undeniable. He was driving the ball well on deep out routes in a strong wind.

The offensive line and running game is looking absolutely stellar. You could see the coaching staff working out the kinks on several concepts that were problematic against Notre Dame, which was a smart strategy. I’m eager to see how this team performs on the road against Florida this week.

Dominate the #10 team in the country on the road and drop. Surely this is just schtick and neither he or his readers actually believe this.

1 minute ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Dominate the #10 team in the country on the road and drop. Surely this is just schtick and neither he or his readers actually believe this.

I posted in the aggy thread.

It's 100% trolling clickbait. Even more obvious because every team requires a click to artificially drive up their numbers.

Kind of like their football team playing FCS opponents to artificially drive up their record.

23 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Our O line play was C- at best

C-? Granted I only watched bits and pieces of the first half while flipping around but I'd grade it more Pop Warner than any college level letter grade. That shit was horrific.

50 minutes ago, kevwun said:

OU's time in the rankings will be short.  That offense combined with their schedule will make sure of it.

Tennesseee will work them before we get our chance in the Cotton Bowl.  While it's convenient for last-minute ticket shoppers, I'd like to see our guys rip apart another lauded defense before the Jawja game.

On 9/9/2024 at 2:22 AM, 89Horn said:

Where’s aggy?

Aggy is still in the top-10 in my Texas in-state rankings. I won’t update every week, just a few times throughout the season. If anyone else would like to update these during the season with your own rankings, feel free to jump in any time.

1. Texas (2-0) - Texas owns two of the best performances in the state in the early going. Next game: UTSA

2. TCU (2-0) - The Horned Frogs looked a bit shaky in their opener against Stanford, but a road win against an ACC opponent and a shutout over Long Island is enough to keep them at #2. Next game: UCF

3. Texas State (1-1) - The Bobcats were dominant in a 49-10 blowout of UTSA in the opener before losing a close one against Arizona State. Next game: Sam Houston

4. SMU (2-1) - The Ponies produced only 144 yards passing and 261 yards of offense in a narrow defeat to BYU. They’ll need to improve on that side of the ball after the bye week in the battle for the iron skillet. Next game: TCU

5. North Texas (2-0) - The Mean Green are 2-0 for the first time since 2018. Next game: Texas Tech

6. Baylor (1-1) - After falling behind 17-0 in the first quarter against #11 Utah, the Bears kept it close before falling 23-12. It’s the best loss among the 1-1 teams. Next game: Air Force

7. Houston (0-2) - The Cougars out-gained Oklahoma, limiting the Sooners to less than 250 yards of offense, and were a failed two-point conversion away from being in position to send the game to overtime. Next game: Rice

8. Texas A&M (1-1) - Quarterback Conner Weigman improved on his week 1 performance with 125 passing yards in week 2, but some of the shine came off the Aggies’ top-10 loss in the opener when Notre Dame fell at home to Northern Illinois. Still, they remain in position for an invitation to a 12-team in-state playoff. Next game: Florida

9. UTSA (1-1) - The road doesn’t get any easier for the Roadrunners coming off a drubbing by Texas State as they face the Longhorns this week. Next game: Texas

10. Sam Houston (1-1) - The Bearkats fell to UCF after dominating Rice in the season opener. Next game: Hawaii

11. Rice (1-1) - The Owls’ 69-7 win over Texas Southern keeps them just out of the bottom three. Next game: Houston

12. Texas Tech (1-1) - The Red Raiders were trounced in the Pirate Bowl after holding off Abilene Christian 52-51 at home in overtime. Less than two years after head coach Joey McGuire famously declared, “Everything runs through Lubbock,” five star receiver Micah Hudson has 1 catch for 4 yards and Tech is struggling to change the dynamic in state the way it expected to. They’ll have a chance to move up this week against the #5 Mean Green. Next game: North Texas

13. Abilene Christian (1-1) - The Wildcats piled up over 600 yards of offense against Texas Tech, falling 52-51 after missing chances to put the game away at the end of regulation and again in overtime. They bounced back with a win over West Georgia. Next game: Northern Colorado

14. UTEP (0-2) - UTEP looks poised to hold down this spot much of the season. Next game: Liberty

Edited by Voluminous Banality
  • Hook 'Em 2

2024 Week 3 FWAA-NFF Super 16 Poll

1.     Texas (26)
  2.     Georgia (24)
  3.     Ohio State (4)
  4.     Alabama
  5.     Ole Miss
  6.     Tennessee
  7.     Miami FL
  8.     Oregon
  9.     Penn State