2024 CFB polls/rankings - Texas #1 /#2 (AP/Coaches)

TKthunder2

We're not even playing to full potential right now either. Offense needs a health-boost and a bit More time for chemistry to come to full boil, and we've got young contributors who will become major players once they come into their own. 

We're badass. Hook 'em.

Edited by The Earl of Texas
  • Hook 'Em 8

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I'd rather stay behind Georgia until they come to Austin. 

Same way I felt about being behind SC in 05.  I'd rather have something to prove than something to defend.

FWIW, we were #1 in the BCS standings for one week in 2005. It was the week before the Okie Lite game.

Capture.thumb.PNG.eaab9e2f4adbc5e944488f44b688d860.PNG

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

We were ranked #1 in the first BCS standings of 2005 (aka the actual standings that counted) during the week of October 24th.

Ok fine.

The last THREE times we were ranked #1 in the regular season were 2008, 2005, and 1984. Still a really rare thing for Texas football.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Ok fine.

The last THREE times we were ranked #1 in the regular season were 2008, 2005, and 1984. Still a really rare thing for Texas football.

So basically a national championship and two years where we were a freak play from winning the national championship (or was that 1983?)

Someone upthread said facetiously that #1 is the Arch effect. TBH I think there's something to it. The biggest reason for our rise is Georgia having trouble w unranked Kentucky, but I have to think voters saw us lose our Heisman contending QB, sub in our second stringer, and watch us put up 42 more points. That's not the Arch effect, but it speaks to just how deep and badass this ream really is. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

So basically a national championship and two years where we were a freak play from winning the national championship (or was that 1983?)

That was 1983. In 1984 we lost No. 1 after tying third-ranked blOU in a miserable downpour.

test.thumb.jpg.321ec026bf2cacb895e6e2d3b9c7e4cc.jpg

Edited by satyanash

14 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

No, Fox Sports, not yet.

As everyone knows, the King of The Kingdom of College Football is the only one who can officially decree which teams are "back" or "not back" and even then ONLY after the International Tribunal on Pigskin Endeavors has reached its conclusion. That won't be until mid-2027.

Amateurs.

• Drool 1