2024 CFB polls/rankings - Texas #1 /#2 (AP/Coaches)

TKthunder2

20 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Back in the day, they would light the tower orange with "1" when the team was ranked as such during the season. Can't remember if they did this in 08 or not. Surly react!!!

I don’t remember them doing that, it would only happen at the end of the season with a national championship. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

I think the #1 ranking is accurate.  It also takes the target off of Georgia’s back and places it squarely on The Horns going into that October matchup

We have "a target on our back", regardless, and if we don't beat OU, it's pretty much a moot point.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, gofuckyourself said:

I don't think Bama jumps unless they dominate GA and win by 35+ and Texas has a bad game and doesn't blow out ULM.

If GA destroys Bama, they could certainly take back the top spot regardless of our outcome.

. . . and if UGA moves ahead of us but we blow out OU while they beat MSU, then we could swap again.

It's early.  It doesn't mean there is no value in currently being #1.  It's the best place to be at the moment.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bevo Num1 said:

I wonder if that game will match the crowd intensity of the '08 Mizzou game. 

If Mizzou hadn't shit the bed the week before, they likely would have been #1 going into that game, and we would have faced two #1s back to back. And Texas *DESTROYED* Mizzou that game. Probably the single greatest 2-game stretch I've ever seen out of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 7

6 minutes ago, Yesh said:

http://cfbcomparer.com/ap-poll-leaders

I can't vouch for if this is accurate or not, and it looks like the 2024 data is incomplete, but still fun to play around with different timeframes.

I like how the 8 true bluebloods of college football are clearly out in front from the rest of the pack with a large gap between them and the others.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed
  • Like 1

Don't know that we've earned #1 as much as this is penalizing Georgia for a rough game yesterday.

I don't think we played as well as we had the previous two weeks yesterday; the talent disparity was too great for UTSA to have a chance. I definitely see why Arch is the backup, as good as he is.

This ranking can be rat poison, making the team think they've already done something when they still have so much to prove. It also puts an even bigger target on our backs than we normally have.

All that said, the potential is there for this team to run the table and win it all. Nobody on our schedule should be favored over us. I think this is the fastest, best-coached and most talented Texas team I've ever seen since I started paying attention in 1989.

Right now, we probably are the best team in college football.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul Wesley said:

I could put this "told you so" observation on any of about 20 different threads, but I'm putting it here.  

For nearly four fucking years, every single fan of an SEC school that I know has made it a point to mention to me how "Texas is in for a big surprise," "Texas just doesn't have the linemen to compete in the SEC," "Texas doesn't have the depth to compete in the SEC," "It's a different caliber of athlete," etc.

etc, etc, etc

But here's the thing that none of those people took into account:  Once Texas joined the SEC, there were a whole bunch of 4- and 5-star kids who would have gone to an SEC school instead of one in the Big 12, but suddenly Texas is going to be signing those kids, because they no longer have to weigh the advantages (great city, alumni support, top-tier public university) against the disadvantage of playing in a 2nd-tier league.  

So yeah, the Texas teams of the Strong/Herman eras would have been outmatched.  For fuck's sake, they were often outmatched in the Big 12.  

I'm not predicting any kind of 17-0 seasons or whatever... the odds are overwhelmingly against that happening.  

I'm just pointing out that our detractors (and there are a lot) never took into account the fact that SEC Texas is likely to have a monster roster in a way that Big 12 Texas was never going to build.  

I think it's as simple as Texas picked the best upcoming coach in the SEC and gave him 4 years to prepare, like fucking batman. Guy was the protégé is of the greatest coach in football history, who had his ego destroyed a decade prior and was hungry to get back on top. I read a book called "Horns!" in 2006 and there's a moment where Deloss Dodds talks about how a smart CEO would view a conference change as a moment where they can supercharge their program, and used the SWC->Big12 swap to do just that. CDC and Sark have pulled off the exact same move with the SEC. Texas is fucking humming right now.

2 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

No. No no no no no. No no no.

Why the fuck would I ever feel sorry for them?

because

pooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooor aggy

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

I could put this "told you so" observation on any of about 20 different threads, but I'm putting it here.  

For nearly four fucking years, every single fan of an SEC school that I know has made it a point to mention to me how "Texas is in for a big surprise," "Texas just doesn't have the linemen to compete in the SEC," "Texas doesn't have the depth to compete in the SEC," "It's a different caliber of athlete," etc.

etc, etc, etc

But here's the thing that none of those people took into account:  Once Texas joined the SEC, there were a whole bunch of 4- and 5-star kids who would have gone to an SEC school instead of one in the Big 12, but suddenly Texas is going to be signing those kids, because they no longer have to weigh the advantages (great city, alumni support, top-tier public university) against the disadvantage of playing in a 2nd-tier league.  

So yeah, the Texas teams of the Strong/Herman eras would have been outmatched.  For fuck's sake, they were often outmatched in the Big 12.  

I'm not predicting any kind of 17-0 seasons or whatever... the odds are overwhelmingly against that happening.  

I'm just pointing out that our detractors (and there are a lot) never took into account the fact that SEC Texas is likely to have a monster roster in a way that Big 12 Texas was never going to build.  

My understanding is that the Aggies being little bitches and trying to torpedo it by leaking it ahead of schedule is what gave Texas a long window to recruit with the aura of the SEC without actually being there yet. That would be almost too good to contemplate. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Agree that Sark gets a ton of credit, and the "level up" in talent certainly wouldn't have been this dramatic with a lesser coach.

But we were definitely going to become more buoyant once we kicked off the anchor of Yormark's Big 12.  

In retrospect it makes so, so much sense to grab a coach like Sark for a program like Texas where we both were. Texas, knocked from the top, down for a decade, starving to get back, with a coach on the exact same journey. Everybody pulling in the same direction. Both the exit of the big 12 and entrance to the SEC gave the team enormous goals to strive for, which wouldn't allow people to rest on their laurels at any point.

It still hasn't set in that we're going to see this level of QB play for at least *THREE MORE YEARS*

Just think of all the next all-star QBs currently freshmen and sophmores in highschool who are watching this. Sark hasn't missed on a QB going all the way back to Matt Leinart.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I think it's as simple as Texas picked the best upcoming coach in the SEC and gave him 4 years to prepare, like fucking batman. Guy was the protégé is of the greatest coach in football history, who had his ego destroyed a decade prior and was hungry to get back on top. I read a book called "Horns!" in 2006 and there's a moment where Deloss Dodds talks about how a smart CEO would view a conference change as a moment where they can supercharge their program, and used the SWC->Big12 swap to do just that. CDC and Sark have pulled off the exact same move with the SEC. Texas is fucking humming right now.

because

pooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooor aggy

I suppose he was upcoming and up and coming at the same. 

11 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Agree that Sark gets a ton of credit, and the "level up" in talent certainly wouldn't have been this dramatic with a lesser coach.

But we were definitely going to become more buoyant once we kicked off the anchor of Yormark's Big 12.  

We are on the short list of great cities in terms of available corporate NIL (largest D1 town without an NFL team), we are in a great city for enjoying life, we are in a talent-rich state, we have a blue-blood pedigree, we play in the SEC, and now we have a coach who has learned under both Carroll and Saban. The coaches will come and go, but the other factors are unlikely to vary too much. Also, good university support these days with CDC at helm.

EDIT left off large wealthy alumni base, relatively speaking. Oh, and developing hate complex publicity with horns down nationwide.

Edited by Magus Ossis
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

SEC Texas is likely to have a monster roster in a way that Big 12 Texas was never going to build.

Texas HAS a monster roster in the way that ‘01-‘08 Big 12 Texas rosters also had, but with a better QB situation. The similarity is the OL retoolment over the last 3 years. 

Nobody thought we could compete in the Big 12 in ‘94, and it was clearly the best conference in the land until 2006 and arguably through 2009. We were able to recruit linemen and skill position players quickly. Difference here is, Sark has spent the last 3 years doing exactly this. I’d like to see us actually get through the SEC with only 1 conference loss at most before I finish my thought here, but I knew we likely wouldn’t have a problem with the “different caliber of athlete” horseshit. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Texas HAS a monster roster in the way that ‘01-‘08 Big 12 Texas rosters also had, but with a better QB situation. The similarity is the OL retoolment over the last 3 years. 

Nobody thought we could compete in the Big 12 in ‘94, and it was clearly the best conference in the land until 2006 and arguably through 2009. We were able to recruit linemen and skill position players quickly. Difference here is, Sark has spent the last 3 years doing exactly this. I’d like to see us actually get through the SEC with only 1 conference loss at most before I finish my thought here, but I knew we likely wouldn’t have a problem with the “different caliber of athlete” horseshit. 

Wait, didn't the VY/Colt McCoy years occur within 2001-2008?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

this fucker needs a severe hiding

tosu didn't play and he moves them up to #1

what a fucktard

https://collegepolltracker.com/football/pollster/koki-riley/2024/week-4

That dipshit has aggy #14

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

They matter to people who enjoy following college football. Times ranked #1 is a thing that is tracked. Only dipshits with no sense of excitement or humor would look at Texas being ranked #1 and go Debbie Downer on it. 

Enjoy it while it lasts because the winner of the UGA/Bama game seems likely to bump Texas and I don’t think we’ll have a quibble. It gets to get settled on the field irrespective. 

Hell yeah it's good to hit #1 in the AP poll.

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

San Antonio is bigger than Austin and they UTSA is a div-1 team. But of course Texas is more popular by far.

San Antonio has no where near the money that Austin has - queue the corporate NIL... But that's also why they'll never be able to support an NFL franchise like a Houston or Dallas can...