2024 CFB polls/rankings - Texas #1 /#2 (AP/Coaches)

TKthunder2

8 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Congrats. This is well-deserved.  

Anybody know the last time y’all were consensus number one?

Jan 9, 2009 for us. 

You were fortunate to catch ou instead of us for that game. Honestly texas and ou had better arguments based on regular season loss comparison, but we couldn’t both be conference champs.  Not that I’m still bitter over how that transpired or anything. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You were fortunate to catch ou instead of us for that game. Honestly texas and ou had better arguments based on regular season loss comparison, but we couldn’t both be conference champs.  Not that I’m still bitter over how that transpired or anything. 

We would have rolled fucking Florida that game. We were the best team in country in 2008…

• Hook 'Em 8

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s like y’all agreed to some shitty conference tiebreaker rules, and then had to suffer the consequences of agreeing to them.  I feel your pain, brother, but that sounds a bit like “Leopards ate my face” unhappiness. 

if I had access to time travel in a different parallel universe, I would love to see them play.  I think Texas would’ve done better handling an injured Percy Harvin, but we may have had more success passing.   it’s been too long and I didn’t see you play too many times that year to have a knowledgeable opinion on it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Texas HAS a monster roster in the way that ‘01-‘08 Big 12 Texas rosters also had, but with a better QB situation. The similarity is the OL retoolment over the last 3 years. 

Nobody thought we could compete in the Big 12 in ‘94, and it was clearly the best conference in the land until 2006 and arguably through 2009. We were able to recruit linemen and skill position players quickly. Difference here is, Sark has spent the last 3 years doing exactly this. I’d like to see us actually get through the SEC with only 1 conference loss at most before I finish my thought here, but I knew we likely wouldn’t have a problem with the “different caliber of athlete” horseshit. 

People are consistently bitching in the recruiting forum that talent evaluation meant that the current roster is better specially at OL, and I don't disagree, being late with hard offers and flipmas means Sark is taking the recruits Senior season seriously.

That said Jimbo was also a closer and his classes were mostly busts, but it was because chased stars.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

That was 1983. In 1984 we lost No. 1 after tying third-ranked blOU in a miserable downpour.

test.thumb.jpg.321ec026bf2cacb895e6e2d3b9c7e4cc.jpg

and we got a :00 clock mulligan on a BS flag to kick for the tie

both sides walked out knowing the zebras had done that to keep both teams alive back when 10-0-1 was about as good as 11-0 on new year's day

2 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Back in the day, they would light the tower orange with "1" when the team was ranked as such during the season. Can't remember if they did this in 08 or not. Surly react!!!

only for titles

entire tower orange but no "1" for beating aggy in football

that was the sop in the 80s

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

It was because for one week the computers loved us. We weren't ranked above USC in any of the polls.

Ahhhh. Makes sense. I’m still gonna count that. If bama gets to count like a million championships pre WW2 then dammit I’m counting this. 

20 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Eat a dick.

Florida beat Oklahoma by 10 on a neutral field and lost to an unranked Ole Miss at HOME.

Texas beat Oklahoma by 10 on a neutral field and lost to number 6 ranked Tech IN Lubbock.

We got fucked over by officiating in that game to almost 2015 OSU levels.   

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

We got fucked over by officiating in that game to almost 2015 OSU levels.   

And Colt should have won the Heisman in that season. People forget that he lead a pretty fucking incredible comeback at Tech right before the crabtree catch. It wasn't Colt's fault they lost that game.

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

only for titles

entire tower orange but no "1" for beating aggy in football

that was the sop in the 80s

This "1" on the tower also didn't happen in 2005 when the first BCS rankings came out and Texas was ahead of USC for a week. I have never seen a "1" tower lighting for a #1 ranking midseason in any sport at Texas. Deffo not when the Basketball team rose to #1, either under Barnes or anyone else.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Pods said:

SWC -> Big XII

Big XII -> SEC

Stepping up to a higher level of competition opens the floodgates for us once again. 

This always amused me.

They're going south on congress, then east on inner campus drive, then going south passing by the little loop on the east mall, then finally into the south end zone where there are some white pickup trucks parked.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

This "1" on the tower also didn't happen in 2005 when the first BCS rankings came out and Texas was ahead of USC for a week. I have never seen a "1" tower lighting for a #1 ranking midseason in any sport at Texas. Deffo not when the Basketball team rose to #1, either under Barnes or anyone else.

The 1 on the tower is reserved for a national title in any sport.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

This always amused me.

They're going south on congress, then east on inner campus drive, then going south passing by the little loop on the east mall, then finally into the south end zone where there are some white pickup trucks parked.

They are not going into the south endzone. They are entering the north end of the stadium.

1 minute ago, JBJ said:

The 1 on the tower is reserved for a national title in any sport.

They used to light the tower for a number 1 ranking in football.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Earl Haffler said:

Damn, we weren't the same until VY won the MNC.

Spot on ... after 24 years (since 1960) of being one of the very top teams, with five undefeated seasons and 3 national titles, we were not too much above .500 till Mack arrived. 

Hard to believe UT has only been ranked #1 for 4 weeks since that fateful day in Fair Park 40 years ago.

That is reason enough alone to want to annihilate the Sooners this year.

Edited by BevoAbyss

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The last time aggy was #1 at any time?

1957. Bear bryants final year where they went 8-3

67 years ago

Aggy has been #1 in the AP poll for 7 weeks total in the history of the AP poll.

4 weeks in 1939, and 3 weeks in 1957. 

That's 7 total weeks in 88 years.

• Drool 1

2 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

It’s like y’all agreed to some shitty conference tiebreaker rules, and then had to suffer the consequences of agreeing to them.  I feel your pain, brother, but that sounds a bit like “Leopards ate my face” unhappiness. 

if I had access to time travel in a different parallel universe, I would love to see them play.  I think Texas would’ve done better handling an injured Percy Harvin, but we may have had more success passing.   it’s been too long and I didn’t see you play too many times that year to have a knowledgeable opinion on it. 

Dude...you won the title. Enjoy your championship, nobody can take it away.

Don't mind us being extremely bitter about it.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Dude...you won the title. Enjoy your championship, nobody can take it away.

Don't mind us being extremely bitter about it.

yeah he should enjoy his title as long as he knows good and well that colt goddamn mccoy and the 2008 longhorns would have rolled his ass. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Eat a dick.

Florida beat Oklahoma by 10 on a neutral field and lost to an unranked Ole Miss at HOME.

Texas beat Oklahoma by 10 on a neutral field and lost to number 6 ranked Tech IN Lubbock.

I was honestly not expecting that “quality loss” argument. 

In the history of national championship  games there were undoubtedly many teams that were better than the two teams in the championship game on the day of the game.   Also, teams match up differently with different opponents due to the different strengths and weaknesses.   Duh.  The team who wins this year will not necessarily be the best team.  It will be the team who defeated the teams the Committee matched them with until the championship game.   Your team may have a great run stop defense, and have a questionable secondary.    So you would lose to an Air-raid type opponent,  but advance because you stuffed the strong run game opponent.   

So much of this shit is luck.   A lot of this shit is officiating.   Who knows who would’ve won.   It boggles my mind this is even a discussion point given the fact you’re number one in the rankings and on your way to a very possible national championship shot.   I am jealous as shit of your recent success and disappointed as hell at our descent into irrelevance. 

This is my second to last post on this topic, as it sidetracks the awesomeness of your ranking. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, BevoAbyss said:

By my quick count at the UT all-time records page, UT has been ranked #1 in the regular season for 40 weeks.

2: DX Bible

26: Royal

9: Akers

3: Mack

1 (so far): Sark

-- Let's hope Sark can increase this total.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_football_teams_by_weekly_appearances_atop_AP_poll

This has us at 46 weeks total. 4 national titles where we were #1 at the end of the season plus your 40 above gets you to 44 which means you’re missing 2 weeks somewhere.

49 minutes ago, futureman said:

yeah he should enjoy his title as long as he knows good and well that colt goddamn mccoy and the 2008 longhorns would have rolled his ass. 

I’ve enjoyed the Title for 15 years without knowing that, so I see no reason to start now.  

Again, congrats on knocking the flea-bitten, leg humping mutts from the top spot. i’ve rooted for Texas since I first hung out on Shaggy, but anything that makes the mange-ridden scum unhappy gets extra support. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Fuck yes.  I hope this team takes on the villain mentality bc we’re about to get a ton of hate from other fanbases.  Sark needs to become Darth Vader because I’m ready for us to fuck his up not only in the SEC but nationally.  These fucking assholes have had a decade of Texas is back jokes.  We’re back alright, go grab your fucking lube because this is going to be painful.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I was honestly not expecting that “quality loss” argument. 

In the history of national championship  games there were undoubtedly many teams that were better than the two teams in the championship game on the day of the game.   Also, teams match up differently with different opponents due to the different strengths and weaknesses.   Duh.  The team who wins this year will not necessarily be the best team.  It will be the team who defeated the teams the Committee matched them with until the championship game.   Your team may have a great run stop defense, and have a questionable secondary.    So you would lose to an Air-raid type opponent,  but advance because you stuffed the strong run game opponent.   

So much of this shit is luck.   A lot of this shit is officiating.   Who knows who would’ve won.   It boggles my mind this is even a discussion point given the fact you’re number one in the rankings and on your way to a very possible national championship shot.   I am jealous as shit of your recent success and disappointed as hell at our descent into irrelevance. 

This is my second to last post on this topic, as it sidetracks the awesomeness of your ranking. 

You guys took a bad loss at home and had a chance to make/win your title game. We got fucked over by coaches in our own conference in the coaches poll which gave OU the tie breaker. It’s bullshit. We have every right to bitch about it, so yeah we will. We were robbed of a chance to play for it all where we would have skull fucked you jean short wearing mothers fuckers, so thank rape enabling Art Briles and the other douche bag coaches for voting OU 1/Texas 5 and letting you play big game bob instead of Colt.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1