2024 CFB polls/rankings - Texas #1 /#2 (AP/Coaches)

TKthunder2

I’ve enjoyed the Title for 15 years without knowing that, so I see no reason to start now.  
Again, congrats on knocking the flea-bitten, leg humping mutts from the top spot. i’ve rooted for Texas since I first hung out on Shaggy, but anything that makes the mange-ridden scum unhappy gets extra support. 

Where have you been? I feel like I’ve missed your posts somehow.

6 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

Agree that Sark gets a ton of credit, and the "level up" in talent certainly wouldn't have been this dramatic with a lesser coach.

But we were definitely going to become more buoyant once we kicked off the anchor of Yormark's Big 12.  

Let’s not pretend that NIL isn’t also a factor. But yes, Sark deserves a ton of credit 

6 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

I could put this "told you so" observation on any of about 20 different threads, but I'm putting it here.  

For nearly four fucking years, every single fan of an SEC school that I know has made it a point to mention to me how "Texas is in for a big surprise," "Texas just doesn't have the linemen to compete in the SEC," "Texas doesn't have the depth to compete in the SEC," "It's a different caliber of athlete," etc.

etc, etc, etc

But here's the thing that none of those people took into account:  Once Texas joined the SEC, there were a whole bunch of 4- and 5-star kids who would have gone to an SEC school instead of one in the Big 12, but suddenly Texas is going to be signing those kids, because they no longer have to weigh the advantages (great city, alumni support, top-tier public university) against the disadvantage of playing in a 2nd-tier league.  

So yeah, the Texas teams of the Strong/Herman eras would have been outmatched.  For fuck's sake, they were often outmatched in the Big 12.  

I'm not predicting any kind of 17-0 seasons or whatever... the odds are overwhelmingly against that happening.  

I'm just pointing out that our detractors (and there are a lot) never took into account the fact that SEC Texas is likely to have a monster roster in a way that Big 12 Texas was never going to build.  

The fuck we aren't going 17-0, son. This team will curb stomp those pussies the rest of the way to the NC victory. Our offense is lethal and unstoppable, our defense in the run game is good, and our DBs have ascended to heights we haven't seen since 2000-2010 (thank you, Scotty Hazleton). Ball hawks. Our LBs hit like freight trains. Yeah, they miss the gap occasionally, but it'll get fixed. Thank you Nansen and Baker. 

Our only concern is RB. But so far they're dawgs and getting tan, rested, and ready to pile drive those mobile home living, dirty street urchins. 

NC = pussy

What does this team want? Pussy. 

Pussy is undefeated, man. Get with the program. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

Fuck yes.  I hope this team takes on the villain mentality bc we’re about to get a ton of hate from other fanbases.  Sark needs to become Darth Vader because I’m ready for us to fuck his up not only in the SEC but nationally.  These fucking assholes have had a decade of Texas is back jokes.  We’re back alright, go grab your fucking lube because this is going to be painful.  

Hell yeah. To all those bitches ahead of us, this is who we are now. This is what we are. 

IMG_9922.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

If Bama wins, I don't see them jumping from #4 to #1, but I can see them jump to #2. 3 spots would be ridiculous, even if it is a prime time game to watch. If UGA wins, they're jumping to #1 and us back to #2, which is fine. Either way it'll be a 1v2 match-up when we meet on Oct 19th (unless Bama wins then it'll be #1 vs #3/#4). 

Edited by Funk Doctor Spock

Just now, Funk Doctor Spock said:

If Bama wins, I don't see them jumping from #4 to #1, but I can see them jump to #2. 3 spots would be ridiculous, even if it is a prime time game to watch. If UGA wins, they're jumping to #1 and us back to #2, which is fine. Either way it'll be a 1v2 match-up when we meet on Oct 19th. 

Prettt sure we jumped from 4 or 5 to 1 when we beat OU in 2008. And that was with more of the season baked. 

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Prettt sure we jumped from 4 or 5 to 1 when we beat OU in 2008. And that was with more of the season baked. 

I honestly don't personally remember that, but maybe they do. I just can't see it due to their struggle against USF, which I think will still be used against them. But who knows? I don't understand the AP Poll, anyway. 

8 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

This has us at 46 weeks total. 4 national titles where we were #1 at the end of the season plus your 40 above gets you to 44 which means you’re missing 2 weeks somewhere.

This assumes the Wikipedia page is more accurate than the actual UT all-time record page.... which I guess is possible. Or I missed 1 or 2 in my "quick" count at the Texas site. Also possible.

As mentioned in my post, I was counting only regular season #1, not the end of year week for the 4 titles. 

I would have thought DKR had more than 26. I was surprised. And he let 2-3 titles slip away in 61, 62, 64. (Damn "cockroaches" as DKR famously said).

In any event, I am pretty sure Surly posters are ready for more weeks at #1. And no SEC cockroaches! 

Edited by BevoAbyss

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I was too. My memory might be exaggerating, but I recall that Floyd Casey was about 70% burnt orange.

Yes it was. 
We bought two endzone tickets for $15 each from a guy outside the gate. 
After checking them out, we moved over to the 50 yard line about 3/4 the way up to the top.

The only full area of Baylor fans was the student section.

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Hell, any human would’ve broken an ankle against KSU in Austin. He walked it off. 

Any college QB room with him is better than any college QB room without him. 

Was just about to post this. In ‘04 in Manhattan. I was convinced he had a severe sprain or break. He came back in and was totally fine in a comeback win.

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

We worked the spread by 2 TDs with our 2nd string QB in the game. 

Didn't do anything crazy but we looked damn good. Again. 

We beat a shitty team by a lot.  In poll terms, that is holding serve.  You can't beat that team badly enough to get any kind of extra credit.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

You are correct, Vince Young is the greatest college football player of all time. It is known.

But right now in 2024, I'm definitely thankful to have both Ewers and Manning on the roster.  I said before the season that I expected we'd need them both.

Vince is the greatest indeed.  And I know all about "ifs and buts" and am stating the obvious, but as great as that 2005 team was, we got very lucky on the injury front, and if Vince went down for a stretch like Quinn has the past couple years, we may have dropped a game in that 2005 season.  So yeah, we're very fortunate to have a backup QB with a ton more talent than Matt Nordgren.