2024 CFB polls/rankings - Texas #5 /#6 (AP/Coaches)

TKthunder2

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Good for us but also sobering. The calibre of our wins looks much more questionable (especially Michigan losing to a mediocre Washington). Meanwhile Vandy, Arkansas and A&M are looking much better than we thought and now loom large on the second half of our schedule.

Ballgame!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, JBJ said:

4) Miami - doubts creeping in

Doubts? They have zero quality wins and lost their last two games against unranked teams, then got handed W's by crooked officiating crews. Miami should not be ranked ahead of any other undefeated squads. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Doubts? They have zero quality wins and lost their last two games against unranked teams, then got handed W's by crooked officiating crews. Miami should not be ranked ahead of any other undefeated squads. 

it is crazy how those ACC refs have gone out of their way to protect them.   I'm waiting for them to introduce a new rule in the final minute in one of the next games.

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Rank Team Record PTS 1st Prev Chg Hi/Lo
3488.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
Tex
5-0 1364 44 1 - 1/4
3439.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
5-0 1330 11 3
+1
2/3
3465.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
ORE
5-0 1215 0 6
+3
3/7
3473.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
UGa
4-1 1174 0 5
+1
1/5
3440.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
PSU
5-0 1163 0 7
+2
5/9
3417.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
6-0 1085 0 8
+2
6/19
3478.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
4-1 1035 0 2
2/7
3482.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
5-1 935 0 11
+3
5/11
3476.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
4-1 856 0 4
4/15
3481.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
LSU
4-1 839 0 12
+2
10/19
3407.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
4-1 818 0 14
+3
11/22
3509.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
ND
4-1 807 0 13
+1
7/19
3425.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
5-0 695 0 16
+3
13/NR
3489.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
5-1 564 0 21
+7
14/NR
3493.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
BYU
5-0 549 0 19
+4
15/NR
3430.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
4-1 541 0 17
+1
13/18
3499.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
4-1 479 0 18
+1
10/18
3428.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
4-1 473 0 9
8/18
3427.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
KSU
4-1 360 0 20
+1
14/25
3433.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
IU
6-0 358 0 24
+4
20/NR
3435.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
4-2 224 0 10
8/21
3517.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
4-1 213 0 NR
+4
22/NR
3432.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
Ill
4-1 179 0 25
+2
21/NR
3418.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
5-0 170 0 NR
+3
24/NR
3487.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
SMU
5-1 123 0 NR
+10
25/NR

Schools Dropped Out

No. 15 USC; No. 22 Louisville; No. 23 UNLV; 

Others Receiving Votes

USC 102; Nebraska 68; Army West Point 36; Navy 26; Colorado 16; Kentucky 12; Arizona 12; UNLV 11; Texas Tech 8; Virginia 7; Washington 5; Liberty 5; Vanderbilt 4; Rutgers 3; Arkansas 3; Tulane 2; Louisville 2; Iowa 2; Syracuse 1; Arizona State 1;

3 minutes ago, Colonel Sanders said:

Someone has georgia at 1 and someone has bama at 2?  Huh

You talking about the hi/low column?  That's the highest/lowest rank for any week this season.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think people are too down on UGA and Bama. They are good teams, and I think either wins at least 6 times out of ten against Indiana, Miami, or ISU on a neutral field. Ranking them below those teams to me raises the question of what exactly does the ranking mean? To me it means ceteris paribus who is more likely to win a neutral site game.

Theoretically, I wouldn’t rank Michigan or Missouri but I’m not entirely sure who I think is more deserving. Army? Kentucky?

Maybe drop them and raise Boise State who lost by 3 on the road to #3.

I don’t see anything there that makes me roll my eyes. 

2 hours ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

I’ll just say this: Based on what we’ve seen “so far”, I’ll be mighty impressed if Texas runs the table vs a schedule that still includes OU, Georgia, A&M, Kentucky, Arkansas, Vandy, & Florida.  They’ve been good enough that it wouldn’t shock me if it happened, but I would be none too surprised if there’s some L’s on that schedule.  I will also say to go undefeated, this schedule leaves no room for less than their best efforts every single game.  That performance against Mississippi State will not be enough

I think we go 11-1 - mainly because I think we're that good.

Surly won't like it but this is looking like one of better aggy teams of late. 

I don't think we drop a game at home but @ Pig and @ aggy are both looking like serious tests and make me pause more than UGA or UK at home. 

If Texas goes 10-2 it will be because we drop a game we shouldn't or a bunch of injuries pile up.

Whatever anyone thinks of MICH they are better than anyone tOSU has played. We'll find out more about them and Oregon this weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I think we go 11-1 - mainly because I think we're that good.

Surly won't like it but this is looking like one of better aggy teams of late. 

I don't think we drop a game at home but @ Pig and @ aggy are both looking like serious tests and make me pause more than UGA or UK at home. 

If Texas goes 10-2 it will be because we drop a game we shouldn't or a bunch of injuries pile up.

Whatever anyone thinks of MICH they are better than anyone tOSU has played. We'll find out more about them and Oregon this weekend. 

Texas is at least two TDs better than those maroon fucks, at Kyle. Nothing much more than hitting open passes and that Missouri game is substantially different. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Texas is at least two TDs better than those maroon fucks, at Kyle. Nothing much more than hitting open passes and that Missouri game is substantially different. 

And some very questionable officiating to start the game. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just not sure what to expect out of that one. No one on this staff or roster has experience with that rivalry, esp. at Kyle. 

At the same time I wouldn't be shocked if Miss St is the worst game we play all season. 

I think OU is in trouble.

I also don't think 12-0 really matters that much and I'm assuming the coaching staff knows that, too. A loss along the way - if handled properly - could galvanize the team and give them more to prove in the postseason. But - we may just be straight up a lot better than anyone we play. Any team wanting to hand us an L is going to earn it. 

Get to Atlanta and win and we're at worst the #2 overall seed. 

Seriously, I'm awaiting to annoit aggy until I see them do something like that against a team with a defense. 

With their schedule that might just be us as LSU has shit for D , Auburn sucks . 

1 minute ago, Gucci_Suit said:

And some very questionable officiating to start the game. 

Exactly. But he missed guys running open. If I’m remembering the sequence, he missed a probable TD pass the play before the one called back for ineligible man down field. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What the fuck on Ohio State having a better resume than Texas right now. That’s a laughable position. You can’t devalue a Michigan win while lifting up an Iowa win. Michigan State is the same kind of ass as Mississippi State. Akron, Western Michigan and Marshall all blow the same way ULM, UTSA and CSU do, only the OSU opponents are even worse.

it's a pretty reasonable take that Iowa + Sparty is better combo than Mich + Miss St.

Sparty is at least top 50.  Iowa looks top 25 while Michigan doesn't, granted they are both kind of on that bubble.

Just now, ztejas said:

Just not sure what to expect out of that one. No one on this staff or roster has experience with that rivalry, esp. at Kyle. 

At the same time I wouldn't be shocked if Miss St is the worst game we play all season. 

I also don't think 12-0 really matters that much and I'm assuming the coaching staff knows that, too. A loss along the way - if handled properly - could galvanize the team and give them more to prove in the postseason. But - we may just be straight up a lot better than anyone we play. Any team wanting to hand us an L is going to earn it. 

Oh, but theirs does?

Yeah, the turnovers, Cook’s drop, the purposefully generic defense, etc. is probably 3 TDs, if not more because it takes them out of their position to try to melt clock.

The thing about it, though, is that Sarkisian is playing the long game. He’s doing with player rotation, game planning, handling injuries, etc. His eye is on the grind through a long season. And that may mean “win by 20 and move on” more than “keep kicking them” in some games. 

A&M’s secondary has nothing at all for this offense. Texas will get pressure on their passer, whichever is alive at that point. 

All that said, stuff happens and sometimes the better team loses. Texas doesn’t need to go unbeaten to win it all or to have a shot at winning it all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I see we're heading into that point of the season where certain people seem to think there should only be about 4 teams in the Top 10.  Clockwork.

the math is mathing

2 hours ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

I’ll just say this: Based on what we’ve seen “so far”, I’ll be mighty impressed if Texas runs the table vs a schedule that still includes OU, Georgia, A&M, Kentucky, Arkansas, Vandy, & Florida.  They’ve been good enough that it wouldn’t shock me if it happened, but I would be none too surprised if there’s some L’s on that schedule.  I will also say to go undefeated, this schedule leaves no room for less than their best efforts every single game.  That performance against Mississippi State will not be enough

Our uneven performance against Mississippi State was still good enough to win by 3 TD's. Those same performances this week ended up with a lot of upsets.

5 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

It was hard to tell if A&M is good or Missouri is that bad. A&M played good, but they didn't magically get bigger or stronger or faster. Mizzou was butt ugly, couldn't run or pass, which plays to A&M strengths. Ha! Ha!

For the SEC being a line of scrimmage league, there was a lot of mediocre line play yesterday.

I like violent and fast. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I see we're heading into that point of the season where certain people seem to think there should only be about 4 teams in the Top 10.  Clockwork.

One has to keep in mind top 10 generally means 2 losses.

Just now, PTINS said:

It was hard to tell if A&M is good or Missouri is that bad. A&M played good, but they didn't magically get bigger or stronger or faster. Mizzou was butt ugly, couldn't run or pass, which plays to A&M strengths. Ha! Ha!

For the SEC being a line of scrimmage league, there was a lot of mediocre line play yesterday.

I like violent and fast. 

Sometimes that’s true. Missing wide open receivers is bad, no matter who you’re playing. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They have some familiarity with Fayetteville which they will see again two weeks before Aggy. I don't expect any less atmosphere and jihad from pig, so good primer going in.

Will be interesting to see where pig goes from here. Right now at least, they believe. Ole Miss and LSU are the only teams with a pulse they face before us and they get them both at home.

Other thought is, teams can improve as the season goes on and little bro might do that. Same can be said for us too. Looking at the remaining schedule, Gator appears to be our easiest opponent left.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, PTINS said:

Our uneven performance against Mississippi State was still good enough to win by 3 TD's. Those same performances this week ended up with a lot of upsets.

I like violent and fast. 

Main thing I saw was that Mizzou couldn't cover anyone for shit. It is hard to figure out what their secondary was doing 

1 minute ago, sith_horn said:

They have some familiarity with Fayetteville which they will see again two weeks before Aggy. I don't expect any less atmosphere and jihad from pig, so good primer going in.

Great point. Honestly - if I'm picking a game to lose it might be that one - or UGA. I'm just not sure Georgia has enough to win at DKR this season. Could let us refocus, take out the trash in Kyle and get hot at the right time. 

8 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Oh, but theirs does?

Well - no - that's kind of what I'm getting at. 

2 minutes ago, PTINS said:

I like violent and fast. 

Mizzou defense was atrocious. Their OL was porous at Kyle although Aggy certainly has talent on defense, so not as cut and dried to render that verdict.

3 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

God forbid my opinion or prediction on a website where I am posting under an anonymous pseudonym ends up being wrong. I just couldn't have my reputation ruined in that fashion. Better to be a big puss and hold off having a real opinion.

my surly rep is all that matters to me

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

We are less than 1/3 of the way through the full college football season and there is exactly one SEC team with an undefeated record. This conference is dickless and overrated. 

WJBUOEO.

Everybody shitting about our schedule, shut the fuck up.  We have dismantled every single team we have played thus far.  Yes even MSU who dragged us down in the mud with them and it worked for a while....until it didn't.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Great point. Honestly - if I'm picking a game to lose it might be that one - or UGA. I'm just not sure Georgia has enough to win at DKR this season. Could let us refocus, take out the trash in Kyle and get hot at the right time. 

Well - no - that's kind of what I'm getting at. 

Not sure why Texas needs to refocus or needs a loss to do it. Is that how elite teams usually look at the season?

Posted (edited)

RANKINGS

Released October 06

RANK
TEAM

TREND

Texas(5-0)Southeastern
1516 (52)

Ohio State(5-0)Big Ten
1473 (9)

Oregon(5-0)Big Ten
1348 (0)

Penn State(5-0)Big Ten
1305 (0)

Georgia(4-1)Southeastern
-
1299 (0)

Miami (FL)(6-0)Atlantic Coast
1187 (0)

Alabama(4-1)Southeastern
1182 (0)

Tennessee(4-1)Southeastern
1001 (0)

Ole Miss(5-1)Southeastern
978 (0)

Clemson(4-1)Atlantic Coast
861 (0)

Iowa State(5-0)Big 12
853 (0)

Notre Dame(4-1)IA Independents
853 (0)

LSU(4-1)Southeastern
-
827 (0)

BYU(5-0)Big 12
753 (0)

Texas A&M(5-1)Southeastern
702 (0)

Utah(4-1)Big 12
473 (0)

Boise State(4-1)Mountain West
463 (0)

Kansas State(4-1)Big 12
459 (0)

Indiana(6-0)Big Ten
459 (0)

Oklahoma(4-1)Southeastern
459 (0)

Missouri(4-1)Southeastern
352 (0)

Pittsburgh(5-0)Atlantic Coast
-
196 (0)

Illinois(4-1)Big Ten
182 (0)

Michigan(4-2)Big Ten
170 (0)

SMU(5-1)Atlantic Coast
-
165 (0)
OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES:
Southern Cal 98, Nebraska 51, Navy 43, Army 33, Vanderbilt 26, Arkansas 17, Washington St. 8, Iowa 8, Texas Tech 7, Syracuse 6, Washington 4, Louisville 4, Colorado 3, Kentucky 1
Edited by TKthunder2

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Everybody shitting about our schedule, shut the fuck up.  We have dismantled every single team we have played thus far.  Yes even MSU who dragged us down in the mid with them and it worked for a while....until it didn't.  

I find it funny that before Texas got to the SEC, the week to week grind of the SEC was always touted by those inbred SEC fans. And how even wins against lesser teams just meant more. So our first game was against a bottom feeder team in Miss St which we won comfortably in the end but struggled more than we should throughout. And now the narrative is how we aren't SEC ready because we struggled with a lowly Miss St team lol. They can't make up their minds. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1