2024 CFB polls/rankings - Texas #5 /#6 (AP/Coaches)

TKthunder2

27 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Main thing I saw was that Mizzou couldn't cover anyone for shit. It is hard to figure out what their secondary was doing 

The thing that stood out to me about Missouri (apart from everything you observe about their wretched defense) is just how poor the offensive play design was.  There were multiple plays in which they had two receivers within three yards of one another.  And when that happened, aggy of course had three DBs in the area (and even then incompletions were a matter of luck).  

There's no reason for that type of play design.  It's just awful.  And it damned sure isn't akin to anything aggy would see from us.

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

Everybody shitting about our schedule, shut the fuck up.  We have dismantled every single team we have played thus far.  Yes even MSU who dragged us down in the mid with them and it worked for a while....until it didn't.  

Can we just remember for one minute that we were playing MissSt with our fucking back-up quarterback.  I get that our back-up quarterback is named "Manning."  But he's still the back-up behind a starter who is significantly better.

And even behind our QB2, we still beat MissSt by three touchdowns.

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, TKthunder2 said:

If they win this week they’ll probably take it unless we destroy OU 49-0 again.

That’s kind of what I was getting at, though having an opponent will help. I don’t think Oregon is all that, so I could see Ohio State boat racing them. 

9 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Everybody shitting about our schedule, shut the fuck up.  We have dismantled every single team we have played thus far.  Yes even MSU who dragged us down in the mud with them and it worked for a while....until it didn't.  

I submit MSU didn't really drag us in the mud.  TO's and BS holding penalties kept it from being a complete blowout.

They ran on us a little more than I would like but we kept MSU in the game more than they did, IMO.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I submit MSU didn't really drag us in the mud.  TO's and BS holding penalties kept it from being a complete blowout.

They ran on us a little more than I would like but we kept MSU in the game more than they did, IMO.

By dragging us into the mud I would submit that the game was being played at the slog pace they wanted....mistakes are a part of being dragged down into the mud.  It's a lot of what the dragger is counting on.  Keep it close, keep it a slog, try to make you shoot yourself in the foot.  It's the old R.C. aggy strategy.  

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Texas mistakes allowed Mississippi State to stick with their offensive approach. That said, Texas wasn’t willing to adjust to stop it because it ultimately couldn’t work. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Texas mistakes allowed Mississippi State to stick with their offensive approach. That said, Texas wasn’t willing to adjust to stop it because it ultimately couldn’t work. 

right, we drug ourselves into the mud.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

right, we drug ourselves into the mud.

Eh MSU also took us there by sustaining drives.  If we have the Blue fumble, the Cook drop etc and they turn around and go 3 and out running HUNH constantly it wouldn't have felt as muddy.   

Edited by Surly Bevo

19 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Not sure why Texas needs to refocus or needs a loss to do it. Is that how elite teams usually look at the season?

Didn't say we needed a loss. Just that it doesn't really hurt us and could be a blessing in disguise. 

Of all the titles Saban won at Bama he only went undefeated in 2009 and 2020 - and 2020 doesn't really count. 

You don't get extra credit for 16-0. As cool as it is. 

Just now, ztejas said:

Didn't say we needed a loss. Just that it doesn't really hurt us and could be a blessing in disguise. 

Of all the titles Saban won at Bama he only went undefeated in 2009 and 2020 - and 2020 doesn't really count. 

You don't get extra credit for 16-0. As cool as it is. 

I’m not saying being unbeaten will be required, but a loss is never a blessing, disguised or otherwise. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, runthebone said:

You guys who are bitching are failing to enjoy the great part, which is the steady ascent of the aggycoaster.

And as I was telling @Brisketexan on Friday, I was kind of cheering a little bit for aggy for exactly this reason.  The aggycoaster isn't very much fun if it doesn't go up.

That and the fact that I just irrationally resent Missouri being in the SEC (or even having a football program, really).  It's just a nothing program that plays in a nothing stadium.  It has no redeeming value whatsoever.  It only got into the SEC because the conference decided it needed an even number.  Missouri ought to be playing Kansas every year.  That's their rival.  And the Big12 is the level at which they belong.

Fuck Missouri.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

Eh MSU also took us there by sustaining drives.  If we have the Blue fumble, the Cook drop etc and they turn around and go 3 and out constantly it wouldn't have felt as muddy.   

Eh Mississippi State did that because Texas had no desire to change to take anything away. Yes, tackling and execution could’ve been better, but schematically Texas didn’t give a fuck if Mississippi State was content to try to grind. If it could’ve made a difference, Texas would’ve changed.

Without the mistakes, grinding was even less feasible. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

And as I was telling @Brisketexan on Friday, I was kind of cheering a little bit for aggy for exactly this reason.  The aggycoaster isn't very much fun if it doesn't go up.

That and the fact that I just irrationally resent Missouri being in the SEC (or even having a football program, really).  It's just a nothing program that plays in a nothing stadium.  It has no redeeming value whatsoever.  It only got into the SEC because the conference decided it needed an even number.  Missouri ought to be playing Kansas every year.  That's their rival.  And the Big12 is the level at which they belong.

Fuck Missouri.

And yet....they have achieved more football wise in the SEC by winning their division a few times than aggy ever has.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Eh Mississippi State did that because Texas had no desire to change to take anything away. Yes, tackling and execution could’ve been better, but schematically Texas didn’t give a fuck if Mississippi State was content to try to grind. If it could’ve made a difference, Texas would’ve changed.

Without the mistakes, grinding was even less feasible. 

Why are you arguing with me?  My initial post that started this all off was that we dismantled every opponent we played and that their strategy worked until it didn't.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

Why are you arguing with me?  My initial post that started this all off was that we dismantled every opponent we played and that their strategy worked until it didn't.  

Where did I argue with you? Texas took a relatively generic game plan into it, didn’t waver when it got frustrating, and choked them out because they couldn’t win with that approach. Sarkisian literally said “good luck” winning with Mississippi State’s approach. 

It was basically a glorified scrimmage as far a scheme. 

“Well ackshually, according to my calculations, we need to reserve having an opinion as fans here, guys.” Right. 
How about we just hold off and catch you back up after the season is over?
You dipshits that post stuff like this, why bother clicking on a thread about current rankings and polls?

Hey man apologies for having the nerve to think something different than what you told me to think.

Btw, do you ever get tired of being a condescending cunt? Wait, nevermind, the answer to that is obvious.
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just now, tbone_ said:

Hey man apologies for having the nerve to think something different than what you told me to think.

Btw, do you ever get tired of being a condescending cunt? Wait, nevermind, the answer to that is obvious.

“Well, I don’t have a reasoned rebuttal because I really did make an idiotic first post. But this poster made me mad though …   …  I’ve got it!!! I’ll go original and call him a cunt!! Yes, that’s it! That’s how I win the Internet today!!”

22 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Fuck Missouri.

If this eloquence extends to your stints in the court or boardroom you must own half of north Dallas.  

8 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

You know--I know this wasn't directed at me.  But as a condescending cunt myself, I find that I never do tire of it.

I wonder if @closetojumping has had the same experience.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

“Well, I don’t have a reasoned rebuttal because I really did make an idiotic first post. But this poster made me mad though …   …  I’ve got it!!! I’ll go original and call him a cunt!! Yes, that’s it! That’s how I win the Internet today!!”

Yep. Right on brand.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Only so many slave states that weren’t in the footprint already

They only wanted the half of Missouri that fought on the right side, though. Not those union-symapthizing pussies in St. Louis.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They only wanted the half of Missouri that fought on the right side, though. Not those union-symapthizing pussies in St. Louis.

Yeah well those pussies were occupying Northern Arkansas by 1862.

Anyway first time we are going into the OU game as #1 since 1984. But fuck 1984, the least said about that season the better.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

so with 2 of the 3 critical rankings in, we wait with baited breath for pat's rationale to rank aggy ahead of the sips, vanderbilt, tennessee, georgia, ole miss and alabama

They are in first place in the by God SEC, ya stoopid sip.  

Post-Week 6 AP Top 25

1. Texas (5-0)
2. Ohio State (5-0)
3. Oregon (5-0)
4. Penn State (5-0)
5. Georgia (4-1)
6. Miami (6-0)
7. Alabama (4-1)
8. Tennessee (4-1)
9. Ole Miss (5-1)
10. Clemson (4-1)
11. Iowa State (5-0)
11. Notre Dame (4-1)
13. LSU (4-1)
14. BYU (5-0)
15. Texas A&M (5-1)
16. Utah (4-1)
17. Boise State (4-1)
18. Kansas State (4-1)
18. Indiana (6-0)
18. Oklahoma (4-1)
21. Missouri (4-1)
22. Pitt (5-0)
23. Illinois (4-1)
24. Michigan (4-2)
25. SMU (5-1)

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah well those pussies were occupying Northern Arkansas by 1862.

Anyway first time we are going into the OU game as #1 since 1984. But fuck 1984, the least said about that season the better.

That’s what I was thinking also.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

That was the start of a crappy decade with one decent year sprinkled in there in 1990. This time it will be the start of a dominant decade!

Edited by DanTheHorn
Spelling

Pulling for Iowa State to win the B12

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

At least we are 3-0 in the other games coming in as #1 but it's actually quite shocking we will only be playing this game as #1 for the 5th time while those shitbags have come in #1 for 8 games going 6-2 in those games.

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

That was the start of a crappy decade with one decent year sprinkled in there in 1990. This time it be the start of a dominate decade!

Sark is 50 I think so hopefully he can string together two decades.  I just want him to go all Jerry Maguire on Bo Davis next time around.  Nobody should leave UT for a lateral move unless we want to part ways with them even if it is their alma mater.

1 minute ago, Pimphand said:

Nobody should leave UT for a lateral move unless we want to part ways with them even if it is their alma mater.

LSU is not a lateral move. It was a better program from 2010-2021 but that's really it looking at the history of both programs. I guess they had a better run from '46-'58 if that is at all relevant. 

Post NIL and Texas to the SEC and with BK at the helm it is back to being a non-blue-blood, 2nd tier program.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

LSU is not a lateral move. It was a better program from 2010-2021 but that's really it looking at the history of both programs. I guess they had a better run from '46-'58 if that is at all relevant. 

Post NIL and Texas to the SEC and with BK at the helm it is back to being a non-blue-blood, 2nd tier program.

image.thumb.png.1538fdcbd015ead0bbd3dc4e028357e1.png

Was referencing him taking the same position at another school but honestly Texas & LSU are pretty evenly matched with a slight edge to Texas.  Trajectory going fowards? Seems to be big edge Texas now.