2024 CFB polls/rankings - Texas #5 /#6 (AP/Coaches)

TKthunder2

"Vanderbilt was last ranked in the AP Poll during the 2013 season, where they reached as high as #23 in the final rankings. Prior to their ranking on October 20, 2024, Vanderbilt had not appeared in the AP Poll since then, making this a significant moment for the program."

Cool, we've added another "ranked" team to our schedule.  
It's hard to believe this is only the second time in their history that they've been ranked though.  

How did they even get into the SEC.

49 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

"Vanderbilt was last ranked in the AP Poll during the 2013 season, where they reached as high as #23 in the final rankings. Prior to their ranking on October 20, 2024, Vanderbilt had not appeared in the AP Poll since then, making this a significant moment for the program."

Cool, we've added another "ranked" team to our schedule.  
It's hard to believe this is only the second time in their history that they've been ranked though.  

How did they even get into the SEC.

There's nothing hard to believe about that. 

• TKthunder2 changed the title to 2024 CFB polls/rankings - Texas #5 /#6 (AP/Coaches)
2 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

ACC'd

The pony express actually looks like they might be good. In the secsecsec, they'd be ranked about 11. 

Best team we've had in 40 years. Jennings is the real deal.

We just need the ACC to fix its fucktarded scheduling that may wind up with you, us and Miami all at 8-0.

Or y'all could drop a game 🤷

Just now, ztejas said:

Best team we've had in 40 years. Jennings is the real deal.

We just need the ACC to fix its fucktarded scheduling that may wind up with you, us and Miami all at 8-0.

Or y'all could drop a game 🤷

Honestly, FSU sucking has fucked everything up. If they were a top 10 team, like they were supposed to be, then we could figure out Clemson, Miami, FSU, SMU, and potentially land 2-3 teams in the playoffs. 

Louisville is a damn good team as well

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Honestly, FSU sucking has fucked everything up. If they were a top 10 team, like they were supposed to be, then we could figure out Clemson, Miami, FSU, SMU, and potentially land 2-3 teams in the playoffs. 

Louisville is a damn good team as well

It's actually baffling at how bad FSU actually is from going 13-1 to 1-5/6 (I can't remember where we are now in the season). Scientists should look into it. It's baffling, yet pretty awesome to see. It's like a car wreck that you feel bad for the people in it, but you can't stop thinking that's fucking rad. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Funny, the guy who covers UGA for the Atlanta paper, Chip Towers, has Texas at 10.  He had them at #1 last week.

https://collegepolltracker.com/football/pollster/chip-towers/2024/week-9

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

It's actually baffling at how bad FSU actually is from going 13-1 to 1-5/6 (I can't remember where we are now in the season). Scientists should look into it. It's baffling, yet pretty awesome to see. It's like a car wreck that you feel bad for the people in it, but you can't stop thinking that's fucking rad. 

Nobody feels bad about an FSU car wreck 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Sounds very aggy/secsecsec

Maybe. But Georgia is legit. They would dominate Oregon's o-line. Ours is better than theirs and you saw what happened. Defense wins games. Beck sucks, but their defense just out-manned us. We lost by 2 TD's, but it looked so much worse than it the score shows. We really needed Baxter, and it showed. We're relying on 2 backs that aren't built to pass protect or run north-south. They're build for screens. 

3 minutes ago, markstanco said:

They are about 5 plays from being undefeated and they beat Alabama. They are a good team. Who should be in their spot at 25 and where should vandy be in the polls? #40? #50?

Louisville and South Carolina are two teams that should be ranked before Vandy. I'm sure there are a ton more. Beating Bama isn't special this year, and after Texas throttles Vandy by 20+ points next week, they will be forgotten like they should be. 

Maybe. But Georgia is legit. They would dominate Oregon's o-line. Ours is better than theirs and you saw what happened. Defense wins games. Beck sucks, but their defense just out-manned us. We lost by 2 TD's, but it looked so much worse than it the score shows. We really needed Baxter, and it showed. We're relying on 2 backs that aren't built to pass protect or run north-south. They're build for screens. 

Their qb isn’t scared to run or throw the ball.
  • Like 1

You are missing the point about how aggy it is to relish in how good your SEC daddy is.

And Oregon can fucking play. Which, however, is beside the point. See above.

7 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

You are missing the point about how aggy it is to relish in how good your SEC daddy is.

And Oregon can fucking play. Which, however, is beside the point. See above.

It's fine. I don't mind disagreeing. Our defense played really fucking well, while our offense sucked. But I still think, imo, Georgia would beat Oregon.  It's just an opinion, whether right or wrong. I'm not being aggy about it, I'm trying to be realistic. It has nothing to do with the SEC, and more to do with having better players. That's it. I don't care about the fucking SEC, I'm just saying one on one I believe Georgia is just the better team. We still have another shot at them, and maybe this time our offense can generate some point  and do better scouting. 

17 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Their qb isn’t scared to run or throw the ball.

This is absolutely true, I agree with that. Their offense sucks because their WR's can't catch shit, but Etienne is legit. 

Georgia's defense is just really, really good. Oregon hasn't played the best schedule and have barely beaten some OOC opponents. Gabriel is a baller, and not a pussy, and Evan Stewart has finally shown his potential. I would love to see them play, and we might. But I want a rematch because our defense was legit, too. But damn it sucks to lose D Williams and Mukuba. That's gonna hurt. But it gave Jelani some really good reps and he showed patience, JJR is very instinctual. He doesn't have the experience, but now is the time. 

5 hours ago, D3zii said:

top 25 match up IN Nashville this weekend

#5 Texas vs #25 Vanderbilt 

Thought we'd be seeing more of this as the season went on with Vandy, Ark, Kentucky and A&M looking better but maybe just Vandy and A&M 

You left out Florida, which imo is a glaring omission.

Edited by cochamps

11 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

5 is kinda a sweet spot for the playoffs tbh

Yes, it's been observed in multiple playoff simulation that the 5 might be a better spot than the 1.

In rd2, the 5 will play the bye-winner of a lesser conference, say Miami.  the 1 plays some runner up of a stronger conference, so possibly a texas or georgia type team.

You better watch out Graham. Kurt is coming for you job at the Gig’em Gazette. This weeks SEC power rankings

Kirk Bohls: 1. Georgia; 2. Texas A&M; 3. LSU; 4. Tennessee; 5. Texas; 6. Missouri; 7. Vanderbilt; 8. Alabama; 9. South Carolina; 10. Arkansas; 11. Florida; 12. Ole Miss; 13. Kentucky; 14. Oklahoma; 15. Auburn; 16. Mississippi State.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Yes, it's been observed in multiple playoff simulation that the 5 might be a better spot than the 1.

In rd2, the 5 will play the bye-winner of a lesser conference, say Miami.  the 1 plays some runner up of a stronger conference, so possibly a texas or georgia type team.

I mean it's tricky. I think missing the CCG in the SEC or B10 is potentially favorable. But if you make the CCG you are for sure better off winning it. 

As far as the bye goes - you might get a better rd 2 matchup as the 5. But a bye week is a bye week. Can't lose during the bye week lol. 

We don't have any data points for any of this and they'll obviously keep changing the format. It will be interesting to see what happens and see if teams down the stretch do anything for seeding.