RIP Wayne Graham

MirrOlure

Texas vs Rice games were epic during his tenure.   RIP Coach.

Rice manager Wayne Graham stands in the dugout before his team faces off against the University of Texas during the Houston College Classic at Minute Maid Park on Friday March 2, 2012 in Houston, TX

image.png.cc04099ea6ef6fdeecfcac3971990726.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

Amazing coach and character. RIP to a legend. His teams made our lives miserable but we always respected him.

I will always remember that anecdote he told about playing for Casey Stengel in 1964 who said "how the hell am I supposed to win when they keep sending me terrible players like Wayne Graham?" After overhearing that statement, he decided maybe coaching was his future. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Man, tough week.

Total legend. Loved the rivalry that he developed with our 'Horns. His Owls teams were great litmus tests--winning the series against them usually meant we had a solid team.

Losing to them in 2003 sucked but was sure glad the title went to Graham and his players instead of Stanford.

As a Rice fan it's not often that You had confidence going into games versus Texas but those years that coach Graham had the Owls playing ball there was not a time that we played Texas nor anyone else that I didn't think that we're capable if not even confident that we're going to win.

It was a great time to be a Rice fan sitting in the stands and having conversations with the football players from the Cotton Bowl teams.. guys that dealt with Bily Goat hill some of the guys that had been on some of Coach Halls's teams when I was around,, I tried out got hit in the face with a bat. There went my MLB career ,,, I hadn't been told not to show up at the next practice that was my achievement ..it counts

Gods speed Coach prayers to Tanya who was his #1 fan .Thanks for the memories

• Like 3
  • Drool 1

16 hours ago, OWLVIS said:

As a Rice fan it's not often that You had confidence going into games versus Texas but those years that coach Graham had the Owls playing ball there was not a time that we played Texas nor anyone else that I didn't think that we're capable if not even confident that we're going to win.

It was a great time to be a Rice fan sitting in the stands and having conversations with the football players from the Cotton Bowl teams.. guys that dealt with Bily Goat hill some of the guys that had been on some of Coach Halls's teams when I was around,, I tried out got hit in the face with a bat. There went my MLB career ,,, I hadn't been told not to show up at the next practice that was my achievement ..it counts

Gods speed Coach prayers to Tanya who was his #1 fan .Thanks for the memories

But what comes out of a Chinamens ass?

This fucking sucks. Granted he made it a lot longer than I thought. Shit I thought he died when Omar made that throw from his knees. 

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

But what comes out of a Chinamens ass?

This fucking sucks. Granted he made it a lot longer than I thought. Shit I thought he died when Omar made that throw from his knees. 

Everyone should give him credit for getting out of the way of the play, I can't think of many modern day coaches who would have done that. 

• Hook 'Em 1