Coordinated Response to Russian Covert Manipulations

956 Worldwide

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

One of the commentators (Rubin or Johnson) got a little suspicious about their benefactor so the Russians made this pdf and sent it around. Immaculate tradecraft. 

image.thumb.jpeg.aacfb3e25aa89a4a3427f3cd4370e74d.jpeg

Now THAT is how you do a resume pic.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I also find it funny and shows how fuck up this country has become when we have to dance around this topic for fear of triggering dipshits who may get offended at the very notion that the bullshit hallowed ground that the stand on is crafted by Russians to sow deceit and division in the US. 

Sane people: "Hey.....the positions I've taken and beliefs I hold are identical to those of our enemy, who wants to see our country fail and collapse.  Knowing that, I should probably reconsider those positions."

These fucks and their cult of followers: "FAKE NEWS!  RUSSIA HOAX!  WE ARE PATRIOTS!"

We have to find a way to convince these idiots that there's nothing more patriotic than drinking a gallon of hemlock.

• Hook 'Em 5

10 hours ago, Chopper said:

There's also an interesting split on one side of the spectrum where now some of 'em are screaming, "We were duped by Russia!" and others have been gaslighting for years that the Russia accusations are fake.

Please don't force Ana out of his cave

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

I also find it funny and shows how fuck up this country has become when we have to dance around this topic for fear of triggering dipshits who may get offended at the very notion that the bullshit hallowed ground that the stand on is crafted by Russians to sow deceit and division in the US. 

Johnny Sack will be along any minute to remind us that the "MSM" is just as bad--if not worse--as the literal Russian propaganda shit holes that he gets his "news" from.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

Diving deeper into the sanctioned entities offers a good look into both how the ecosystems work and how the Russian state apes, manipulates, and uses seemingly familiar structures to pretend that covert intelligence and influence operations are in fact analogous to Western media.  Running down the list, what should stick out is how likely it is that all of us have consumed Kremlin products whether we want to or not. 

First the basics— after the 1990s Russia did in fact have a semi-normal media environment with recognizable and professional news organizations.  Putin began by rolling up any actual independent media fairly early in his tenure. Beginning in 2008 through the mid-2010s, the attention turned to consolidating what were plausibly “public” outlets into state-controlled organizations and creating new channels designed to ape familiar ones like the BBC.  This mostly consolidated under the control of Margarita Simonyan as the “Rossiya Segondya” conglomerate which isn’t really a conglomerate.  It produces org charts and similar documents but the reality is that nothing is truly a subsidiary, the entire apparatus exists as a tool of Kremlin messaging, and over time all of the “brands” came under the control of security personnel.  

So moving down the list of Rossyia Segondya quasi-entities:

RT (Russia Today): Well known, mostly discredited in the West, reduced to paying Tim Pool behind a cutout to operate in the U.S. and mostly closed in Europe.  However— it is the most consumed non-local Spanish news outlet across most of Latin America and is immensely popular across Africa and Asia and the Middle East.  The Prime Minister of Malaysia gave them an interview yesterday and tutted at U.S. sanctions. 

Ruptly:  Little known but you’ve likely consumed their stuff without knowing what it is.  This is a Berlin-registered digital video production under the control of Simonyan and the hilariously named Konstantin Kalashnikov. Did you watch Assange getting dragged out of the Ecuador embassy? That was an exclusive Ruptly piece of content.  What about footage of Beirut after the port explosion? Also Ruptly. This org, like RT, also produces non-branded content and uses its channels and viral videos to drive traffic.  They have a unit, Redfish, which targets the left and African Americans to fairly miserable success but they are trying! 

RIA Novosti: Formerly a semi-reputable public news wire a la AFP, RIA Novosti is the Kremlin’s official foreign wire service.  Reputable outlets have no choice but to cite them when quoting Zakharova or Peskov, because that is who the Kremlin talks to. You will read their press releases at one time or another. 

ANO-TV Novosti: The alleged parent organization of RT, this brand also falls under Simonyan and is allegedly funded by a Russian government grant to operate RT.  The grant structure enables the Kremlin to claim that the structure is analogous to the BBC or RFE/RL with editorial independence and not a state-controlled media outlet.  It’s important to note that places like the Post and NYT bought this argument until 2022. 

Sputnik: Allegedly the “Russian Voice of America,” Sputnik has barely any radio presence and is almost all online.  It is a branded outlet for Russia, and has a broader reach into Europe and to less-spoken languages that aren’t worth using RT resources for broadcast.  Anton Anisimov reports to Simonyan. 

And finally, Qatar owned media reporting on how big mad the Kremlin is: 

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2024/9/5/russia-warns-response-to-us-sanctions-on-rt-will-make-everyone-shudder 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

No telling how many extreme right and "successful" substackers they fund, too. Plus Drumpf social, Rumble and whatever Mosk is able to put in his pockets. Although maybe he just does the bidding of the Chinese gov't.

Some other trumpster who's hiding back in Moscow was indicted today as an agent for Ruzzia.

BREAKING: The U.S. government charges former Trump 2016 campaign adviser Dimitri Simes with working for a sanctioned Russian state television network and laundering the proceeds. https://apnews.com/article/trump-simes-russia-election-fbi-f0b0fe681c821f735c4e951736f041c8

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Dimitri Simes has had an interesting career. Ranging from Nixon advisor and Anti-Soviet to Putin acolyte and pro-Russian empire.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/tv-presenter-who-worked-channel-one-russia-charged-violating-us-sanctions-imposed-russia

Couple Allegedly Conspired to Provide Services to and Receive and Launder Over $1 Million from Sanctioned Russian Broadcaster; One Defendant Allegedly Provided Art and Antiques to Sanctioned Oligarch

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Johnny Sack will be along any minute to remind us that the "MSM" is just as bad--if not worse--as the literal Russian propaganda shit holes that he gets his "news" from.

What's Sack handle now? Zero chance that he has stayed away since he stopped posted under that name.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Russia isn’t pro Palestine?  lol. News to everyone except looney posters here. 

You honestly believe that the sources that he frequents give two shits about Israel or the Jewish community, and aren't just trying to sow discord and throw gas on the "anti-woke" fire to help get a certain someone elected, among other things? Holy shit, dude.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, aggie08 said:

You honestly believe that the sources that he frequents give two shits about Israel or the Jewish community, and aren't just trying to sow discord and throw gas on the "anti-woke" fire to help get a certain someone elected, among other things? Holy shit, dude.

I honestly think he can't help it. He sees posters with whom he disagrees and dislikes, and reflexively jumps in to take shots, even when he admittedly has no idea what he's talking about.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Depends on the source. I watch his videos. They do not looked staged. I mean you just presumed away there didn’t you. 

7 minutes ago, Foosters said:

I honestly think he can't help it. He sees posters with whom he disagrees and dislikes, and reflexively jumps in to take shots, even when he admittedly has no idea what he's talking about.

I don’t agree or disagree with Prong Horn on anything other than he appears to provide reliable video evidence from sources that clearly have agendas, sometimes, but they are merely videos containing truth. Anything he says or posts, I am either neutral or misinformed. What a dipshit post the above is. 

7 minutes ago, F250 said:

Prong Horn: I don't pay attention to the sources of the content I post here.

Rex - I don't pay attention to all the content Prong Horn posts here.

south-park-human-centipede.gif

I don’t. I only have interaction with him in one thread. Are you mocking me for not following him around?  

1 minute ago, Rex Kramer said:

I don’t. I only have interaction with him in one thread. Are you mocking me for not following him around?  

You repeatedly admit you have no idea what he posts, but are comfortable attacking posters who criticize what he posts.

That's why I'm mocking you, anyway.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Depends on the source. I watch his videos. They do not looked staged. I mean you just presumed away there didn’t you.

Let me ask you something: hypothetically, if 2,000 people are protesting something peacefully in a city center, but 5 of them are chanting "Death to America," who are these obviously biased sources going to exclusively video? Not only that, they're going to frame that group of bad actors as holding the prevalent, overwhelming, violent sentiment. Not saying that's happening everywhere, but you can't tell me with a straight face that it's not happening frequently for very political reasons.

As is their right, sure. Those shitbags should be captured on camera. But it's important to know who you're digesting information from to ascertain what, if anything, is being exaggerated or distorted for outrage clicks, personal gain, to push an agenda, or, to bring it back to the OP, spoonfeed propaganda from foreign agents.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I am mocking you for consuming the cuttlefish and asparagus out of his ass.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Let me ask you something: hypothetically, if 2,000 people are protesting something peacefully in a city center, but 5 of them are chanting "Death to America," who are these obviously biased sources going to exclusively video? Not only that, they're going to frame that group of bad actors as holding the prevalent, overwhelming, violent sentiment. Not saying that's happening everywhere, but you can't tell me with a straight face that it's not happening frequently for very political reasons.

As is their right, sure. Those shitbags should be captured on camera. But it's important to know who you're digesting information from to ascertain what, if anything, is being exaggerated or distorted for outrage clicks, personal gain, to push an agenda, or, to bring it back to the OP, spoonfeed propaganda from foreign agents.

And let me add that we're all fucking guilty of this, to some extent. 

But the sources that prong horn routinely amplifies are from the dumbest and most obvious of the dumbest and most obvious. Some are probably a few rungs below Tim Pool.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Who will be the first moron to come into this thread and say it’s CR?

Lol. None of those people will ever pretend this thread exists. 

7 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

From a legal standpoint, yeah, it actually may be a huge difference. Being a jackass spouting Russian bullshit entirely of your own accord isn’t treason, afaik. But if you’re being paid to do it, and not registered as a foreign agent (or whatever the correct term) is an entirely different thing. Not that I believe he was entirely unwitting or duped as some of the articles seem to imply. 

my bet is that discovery on all of those motherfucker's devices will reveal the truth real fast. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

my bet is that discovery on all of those motherfucker's devices will reveal the truth real fast. 

Yeah, they are not the brightest. 

They may even be using something like WhatsApp and convincing themselves they are doing everything they can to cover their tracks, but they are not going to realize that there is still a trail at some point that leads to their bank accounts, as evidenced by the feds knowing how much they were getting paid.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, they are not the brightest. 

They may even be using something like WhatsApp and convincing themselves they are doing everything they can to cover their tracks, but they are not going to realize that there is still a trail at some point that leads to their bank accounts, as evidenced by the feds knowing how much they were getting paid.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

The Russians did not try particularly hard to cover this up or hide the ball, and its eventual exposure was baked into the operation.  They hold traitors and useful idiots in contempt, these are not valuable assets that they have been cultivating. They are capable of doing things right when they want to. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 hours ago, Foosters said:

Yeah, it’s obviously this. He’s just a very stupid and angry dude.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

There has been some clear and unambiguous veiled foreign propaganda and disinformation posted and amplified on the Israel CR thread that is not remotely pro-Israel. 

Yes, absolutely true. It's not nearly as frequent but there has been some pretty bad prong horn level sourcing in that thread from the other side from time to time.

Thanks for consolidating all the info in this thread. I've barely had time to halfway follow this story as of yet.

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The Russians did not try particularly hard to cover this up or hide the ball, and its eventual exposure was baked into the operation.  They hold traitors and useful idiots in contempt, these are not valuable assets that they have been cultivating. They are capable of doing things right when they want to. 

GWsOMUvXsAAHQxa?format=jpg&name=large

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, randomhorn said:

Next up will be seeing if/how it overlaps with similar campaigns in the UK, France, Germany, etc. Not counting the obvious linkages with Hungary and pals

Most of them are probably already known by those who follow this stuff - here in the US, none of us were surprised by Tim Pool and some of the others because they straight up parroted Russian propaganda. If the Russians published something like a speech by Putin or comments by Lavrov on the English-language part of the offices Russian government website, you could be sure that the major talking points would make their way to social media through these people.

Its been so incredibly blatant since 2022.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Most of them are probably already known by those who follow this stuff - here in the US, none of us were surprised by Tim Pool and some of the others because they straight up parroted Russian propaganda. If the Russians published something like a speech by Putin or comments by Lavrov on the English-language part of the offices Russian government website, you could be sure that the major talking points would make their way to social media through these people.

It’s been so incredibly blatant since 2022.

I remember a better time, when our bad guys were competent and interesting.  Now all we get are idiots.  Sad