Sedona, AZ

Search function a couple of days ago threw up one mixed Arizona thread but I can’t find it now. 
We are looking at spending some time around Sedona in the middle of October. 
Restaurants and other suggestions would be appreciated if you have any. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

Search function a couple of days ago threw up one mixed Arizona thread but I can’t find it now. 
We are looking at spending some time around Sedona in the middle of October. 
Restaurants and other suggestions would be appreciated if you have any. Thank you. 

This thread is on the Grand Canyon, but has some Sedona stuff in it as well, including some restaurant recommendations.  October is typically a great time to visit, as the temperatures have normally cooled a bit, but it has been hotter than usual this summer, so who knows?

• Like 1

Went a few years ago with wife and teenage kids.  Our VRBO was near The Hudson.  It was great - American-style food.  Ate there twice.  Can't really remember the others - this one stood out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Loy Canyon Trail is incredible.  Could be more than you're willing to bite off, but you can always turn around.

It's decent, but it can be a pain to get to, literally, depending on the current condition of the road.  For me, there are equal or better options that are more accessible, all with some spectacular scenery.  From a few recent hikes:
image.thumb.jpeg.cb3d1cbe5694c19d27763153366eb0ef.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.319389bf9462973c71e6bdcc51a2d4c5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1e5ef8d1ad00e1730305107df56d78a0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.255941909e74166cea24c063df780911.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

It's decent, but it can be a pain to get to, literally, depending on the current condition of the road.  For me, there are equal or better options that are more accessible, all with some spectacular scenery.  From a few recent hikes:
image.thumb.jpeg.cb3d1cbe5694c19d27763153366eb0ef.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.319389bf9462973c71e6bdcc51a2d4c5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1e5ef8d1ad00e1730305107df56d78a0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.255941909e74166cea24c063df780911.jpeg

It's the only hike I've done there and I just have real fond memories of it.  I'm no Sedona expert.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's the only hike I've done there and I just have real fond memories of it.  I'm no Sedona expert.

No worries.  It's a perfectly fine hike, and has some cool ruins and rock art if you know where to go.  I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all, but I do live here.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

No worries.  It's a perfectly fine hike, and has some cool ruins and rock art if you know where to go.  I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all, but I do live here.  

You have far more to offer this thread than I do.

I'd like to get back, and my folks go regularly, but I just haven't made it.

4 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

That would be great. We’re not professionals, and would be interested in half-day or shorter stuff. 

General Common Sense Sedona Hiking Tips

• Medical evacuations from the trails are a regular occurrence.  Don’t be that guy. 
  • Pack more water than you think you will need and drink it.  I hike with a 3-liter CamelBak, which is just enough for the longer hikes listed below.  Stuffing a couple of large water bottles into a regular light pack would be fine for most of these. 
  • If you are in reasonable shape, plan on a ~2mph pace for most hikes, though expect it to be slower on hikes that have a lot of climbing.
  • Wear a hat and sunscreen, even in the cooler months.
  • Wear hiking shoes.  Your feet will thank you.
  • Trekking poles are recommended, but not worth it if you are not accustomed to using them.
  • Take your phone, and make sure it is charged.  If you have a GPS trail or tracking app of some sort, use it.  Most trails are well marked and easily followed, but better to be safe than sorry.  If you have tracked where you have been, you can follow your path back to the start if necessary…breadcrumbs for the modern age. 

The Trails

Some trails require a Red Rock Pass or have their own day use permit requirement.  If you plan to do more than a couple of hikes, it may be worthwhile to pick up a week-long Red Rock Pass at the Sedona Visitor Center.

* Denotes personal favorite

Devil’s Bridge 3.9 mi (Moderate)

This is by far the most popular hike in Sedona, which is why I usually advise people to avoid it.  If you have to do it, I recommend going on a weekday and starting very early from Mescal Trailhead.

* Airport Loop 3.3 mi (Moderate)

This is a popular loop that circles the airport.  It has some nice views of many of the well-known Red Rock formations as a well as a top-down vantage of Sedona proper.  The parking lot at Airport Mesa can fill up, so go early.  Alternatively, you can park at Sunset Park and take the short Sunset Trail connector. 

Cathedral Rock 1.2 mi (Challenging)

This is another popular hike.  It’s short but challenging.  If you make it to the top, you’ll be rewarded with some awesome views.  Park at the Cathedral Rock Trailhead.

* Cathedral Rock Big Loop 7.9 mi (Challenging)

This hike is in my regular rotation, offering spectacular Red Rock views, close encounters with Oak Creek, and more than enough challenge to earn whatever dinner you have planned.  Park at Yavapai Trailhead and take the following route:  Yavapai Trail > L onto Kaibab Trail > R onto Slim Shady Trail > straight onto Ht Trail > L onto Easy Breezy Trail > R onto Templeton Trail > L onto Baldwin Trail > L onto Hiline Trail > L onto Slim Shady Trail > R onto Kaibab Trail back to the parking lot.  You can add the climb up to the top of Cathedral Rock if you choose (add ~1 mi), but you may regret it unless you are in great shape and want the extra challenge.

Courthouse Butte Loop 3.5 mi (Easy)

This popular loop takes you around Bell Rock and Courthouse Butte, two of the more famous Red Rock landmarks.  There are several connected trails here, allowing for countless route variations.  This is a good area for easing into hiking, with mostly flat well-traveled trails.  Park at Bell Rock Trailhead, but have a Plan B, as it fills up early. 

Pyramid Loop 2.5 mi (Easy)

This loop circles Pyramid Mountain.  It has a couple of technical sections, but overall is an easy shortish hike in West Sedona.  The views are better in the evenings, when the sun illuminates Cathedral Rock and others.  Park at Pyramid Mountain Trailhead.

Mescal Loop with Birthing Cave 6.1 mi (Moderate)

The Birthing Cave is not particularly spectacular, but people seem to flock there for whatever reason.  The loop itself is scenic and enjoyable.  Skipping the cave takes off ~1.2 mi.  From the Mescal Trailhead, follow this loop:  Mescal Trail > Deadman’s Pass Trail > Long Canyon Trail > unmarked trail to Birthing Cave (you’ll likely see other people heading off trail, follow them) > Long Canyon Trail > Mescal Connector > Mescal Trail back to trailhead.

* Boynton Canyon 6.5mi (Moderate)

The first stretch of this out-and-back passes by the Enchantment Resort, but once you get beyond that, you’ll experience some unique scenery.  The mileage does not include the optional side trek up to gorgeous Subway Cave, so you may want to consider that if you want a more challenging excursion.  Park at Boynton Canyon Trailhead.

* West Fork Oak Creek Canyon 8.8 mi (Moderate for length)

If you only plan to do one or two hikes in the area, then skip this one, as it does not offer any Red Rock views.  If you are looking for something that is relatively flat, well-shaded, with a constant presence of water, then this is a very enjoyable experience that offers something different.  If the leaves have started to change (mid October – mid November), then this is close to a “must do.”  It’s an out-and-back, so you can shorten the distance as desired (you won’t miss anything that you’ll regret).  This is a very popular hike, especially when the leaves are changing, so go early on a weekday if possible.  A day-use fee is required.   

/TLDR:  Hiking in Sedona is fun.  Don't die.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Lots of great hikes listed. Not sure why Bear Mountain wasn't listed. October should be nice but you might still have total sun exposure and even at lower temps it might be a little uncomfortable if you aren't ready for it.  I always say West Fork is the best for shade and ease. Great family hike. Just get there early to avoid the parking lot filling up. 

For food :

Hudson

Hideaway House 

Creekside 

Elote (don't go there if you want some type of view) and book ahead of time or go to the bar. 

Dahl and Deluca

oak creek brewery is overrated but you can go to the actual brewery where it's less crowded. I prefer Sedona Beer Company more. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Lots of great hikes listed. Not sure why Bear Mountain wasn't listed. October should be nice but you might still have total sun exposure and even at lower temps it might be a little uncomfortable if you aren't ready for it.  I always say West Fork is the best for shade and ease. Great family hike. Just get there early to avoid the parking lot filling up. 

For food :

Hudson

Hideaway House 

Creekside 

Elote (don't go there if you want some type of view) and book ahead of time or go to the bar. 

Dahl and Deluca

oak creek brewery is overrated but you can go to the actual brewery where it's less crowded. I prefer Sedona Beer Company more. 

I did not list Bear Mountain because the juice isn't worth the squeeze.  It's all about the challenge, and the summit is very meh.  Also, this wasn't intended to me an exhaustive list, just a good sample.  

Edited by idigTexas
OU sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1

We went in October of 23 and it was a  fantastic trip.  Sat at the bar for dinner at Elote (excellent food and got to meet the owner/chat through the night with him.)  

Cress on Oak Creek was very good as well but the location in the evening made the meal.  

Dahl and Di Luca was good but kind of just "standard" Italian.  

Sedonuts is a good place to grab some carbs before heading out on a hike. 

For an "easy" hike near Cathedral Rock, try Red Rock Crossing.  It's pretty flat and runs along Oak Creek.  Bring some water shoes and/or a swim suit and enjoy the cold water in the creek.  

Devils Bridge is pretty spectacular amd worth it.   

40 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

We went in October of 23 and it was a  fantastic trip.  Sat at the bar for dinner at Elote (excellent food and got to meet the owner/chat through the night with him.)  

Cress on Oak Creek was very good as well but the location in the evening made the meal.  

Dahl and Di Luca was good but kind of just "standard" Italian.  

Sedonuts is a good place to grab some carbs before heading out on a hike. 

For an "easy" hike near Cathedral Rock, try Red Rock Crossing.  It's pretty flat and runs along Oak Creek.  Bring some water shoes and/or a swim suit and enjoy the cold water in the creek.  

Devils Bridge is pretty spectacular amd worth it.   

I got married at Red Rock Crossing so I endorse this message.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have posted this in a similar thread here.  My girlfriend and I, along with my college roommate and his wife, will be in Sedona the first week of November.  It will be my third trip there, the second for the girlfriend, and the first for my roommate and his wife.  I have done hiking in the area but the rest are not hikers.  My GF did do Courthouse Butte Loop with me as it was easy.  She hiked to Cathedral Rock with me but stayed at the base while I did the summit.

I plan on picking some easy hikes for them to do.  Thanks for the above list.  There are a couple of more advanced ones that we may try after they have done an "easy one" and I get a chance to see what their abilities are.

They also want to do a Pink Jeep Tour as well.  For dining the only place as a "must" right now is Elotes.

• Like 1