2024 Houston Texans Season Thread

tx 3 putt

I was on a plane for most of the game. Why was there a 10 second runoff at the end of the first half? If it was because of a review, does that mean any time a trailing team has a play reviewed in the final 10 seconds of the game, they will just run 10 seconds off and end the game without the team being able to take another snap?

29 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I was on a plane for most of the game. Why was there a 10 second runoff at the end of the first half? If it was because of a review, does that mean any time a trailing team has a play reviewed in the final 10 seconds of the game, they will just run 10 seconds off and end the game without the team being able to take another snap?

Going a bit off of memory, so I might have detail or two wrong here ...

Schultz catches a ball with 15 seconds left that was an iffy catch, and the clock is running. Indy calls a timeout hoping that the refs will review it. Call reversed. Refs say there's 15 seconds left on the clock. Indy coach argues with them and they say "our mistake, 5 seconds left". Houston lines up with their full offense and the clock starts running and they look caught off guard and they try to snap the ball as the clock hits zero; they thought that since Indy called the timeout the clock was stopped, but the review undoes that timeout and Houston doesn't realize it. The refs did do the wind the clock move and Houston coaches should know the rules, but it probably would have been a good idea for one of the refs to either announce that the clock would start or to just tell Demeco since it was a confusing five minutes, and Houston then would have spiked it and kicked a field goal 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

Schultz catches a ball with 15 seconds left that was an iffy catch, and the clock is running. Indy calls a timeout hoping that the refs will review it. Call reversed. Refs say there's 15 seconds left on the clock. Indy coach argues with them and they say "our mistake, 5 seconds left". Houston lines up with their full offense and the clock starts running and they look caught off guard and they try to snap the ball as the clock hits zero; they thought that since Indy called the timeout the clock was stopped, but the review undoes that timeout and Houston doesn't realize it. The refs did do the wind the clock move and Houston coaches should know the rules, but it probably would have been a good idea for one of the refs to either announce that the clock would start or to just tell Demeco since it was a confusing five minutes, and Houston then would have spiked it and kicked a field goal 

all correct

I have not been a fan of our aggy LG since we drafted him but have to give credit where credit is due. He kicked ass in the run game yesterday. I had already written him off as a bust before training camp and wondered if he’d make the 53. Glad I have been proven wrong.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 9/8/2024 at 4:33 PM, tx ind said:

Larry in Stafford is a treasure. 

We need to get him to Surly. 

That was a really good win. Secondary needs to clean some stuff up, but otherwise I am quite gruntled. I’m still in shock at the turnaround and the fact that we now expect them to win going into most games. Unreal the bullets we dodged in Watson and Bryce. And good players want to join…just wild. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just saw that there is a new accuser making allegations against Watson. Probably the browns trying to get out of that contract

The above is a good summary of the above time issues. The refs definitely played a part in fucking it up. Glad it didn’t cost us

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

16 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

We need to get him to Surly. 

That was a really good win. Secondary needs to clean some stuff up, but otherwise I am quite gruntled. I’m still in shock at the turnaround and the fact that we now expect them to win going into most games. Unreal the bullets we dodged in Watson and Bryce. And good players want to join…just wild. 

Forgot to add - and I’ll HOLLER

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Planet Houston said:

Forgot to add - and I’ll HOLLER

Was coming back to post this.

There's no way that Houston doesn't have the best sports radio programs.

Edited by Rip76

5 hours ago, Fud said:

Not quite. 

The only way to stop the clock for a review is to throw the red flag. In the final 2 minutes that is not possible. You can't call a TO and ask for a review it is completely initiated from the booth.

Since it was a completed catch with the time running out, the Texans spiked the ball to stop the clock. The officials ruled that before the spike that the booth had called down for a replay. The play was called as stands, meaning the clock would start on the ready for play because the spiked ball was wiped out. Demeco did a poor job because he got confused and didn't ask the right questions of the white hat who also did a horrible job of administering the game. He should have announced that the clock would start at his ready for play. Another problem was the white hate declared 15 seconds left on the clock instead of 5 which is where the clock was after Stroud spiked the ball.

It ended up not costing us except for the final score. I think the bigger problem yesterday was the dogshit playing surface the Colts rolled out there.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

The 5 vs. 15 had to be the only thing on his mind. With 5 seconds, your FG team needs to be out there either way. I mean, unless you want to spike to have the attempt under more control, but that wasn’t the call. Which, again, has to mean he thought there were 15 seconds on the clock. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/9/2024 at 7:29 PM, Doc Daneeka said:

The 5 vs. 15 had to be the only thing on his mind. With 5 seconds, your FG team needs to be out there either way. I mean, unless you want to spike to have the attempt under more control, but that wasn’t the call. Which, again, has to mean he thought there were 15 seconds on the clock. 

Either way (15 or 5), with no timeouts we should have immediately spiked the ball as soon as it was snapped. I wonder if the fuckup was actually on the field and DeM was just sticking up for his guys? 

3 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Either way (15 or 5), with no timeouts we should have immediately spiked the ball as soon as it was snapped. I wonder if the fuckup was actually on the field and DeM was just sticking up for his guys? 

You can run at least one real play with 15 seconds and no time outs. Possibly two, depending on the first. 

2 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

You can run at least one real play with 15 seconds and no time outs. Possibly two, depending on the first. 

Sure, if you’re 100% guaranteed that you’re not getting tackled in bounds on that play; if you get sacked you’re probably not getting anything else. You also run the risk of a false start, hold, etc. if you’re on the goal line at the end of the game sure; in that spot in the field, with a good kicker, just spike the ball and take the points.

1 minute ago, Ignatius said:

Sure, if you’re 100% guaranteed that you’re not getting tackled in bounds on that play; if you get sacked you’re probably not getting anything else. You also run the risk of a false start, hold, etc. if you’re on the goal line at the end of the game sure; in that spot in the field, with a good kicker, just spike the ball and take the points.

I didn’t say they should run a stupid play. Or not throw the ball away rather than take a sack. 

If you don’t think your NFL team is sufficiently well-coached to run one or two real football plays, sure, spike the ball. 

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

If you don’t think your NFL team is sufficiently well-coached to run one or two real football plays, sure, spike the ball. 

Lol, well, spiking the ball would have been better than what actually happened…

2 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Lol, well, spiking the ball would have been better than what actually happened…

Well, with 5 seconds on the clock, spiking the ball was the only call. I said run plays with 15 seconds, not 5. The fact that they didn’t spike indicates he thought there were 15 seconds. And he was going to run a play. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

This is almost a must-win game for Jacksonville this weekend against Cleveland. If they lose this one, the next two on deck are road games at Houston and Buffalo, which means likely a 1-3 or 0-4 start

On 9/11/2024 at 6:05 PM, Doc Daneeka said:

I didn’t say they should run a stupid play. Or not throw the ball away rather than take a sack. 

If y'all are talking about the end of the 1st half, the team did spike the ball, but the refs say the booth called down for a review before that and negated the clock stop. Then a 10 second runoff happened, and I think there was confusion around if the timeout called by the Colts would stop the clock at 15 or 5 seconds. I think Demeco thought it would be a stopped clock at 15 seconds, not 5. 

It was a mess, but the refs should have been more clear about what was going to happen once the ball was set. Thankfully it didn't cost them the game, but it was damn close. 

Just now, Dutchrudder said:

If y'all are talking about the end of the 1st half, the team did spike the ball, but the refs say the booth called down for a review before that and negated the clock stop. Then a 10 second runoff happened, and I think there was confusion around if the timeout called by the Colts would stop the clock at 15 or 5 seconds. I think Demeco thought it would be a stopped clock at 15 seconds, not 5. 

It was a mess, but the refs should have been more clear about what was going to happen once the ball was set. Thankfully it didn't cost them the game, but it was damn close. 

Yes, that’s what I’m talking about. The refs should have been more clear but at 5 seconds the only reason your QB is on the field is to spike the ball to have the FG attempt under more controlled circumstances. You definitely don’t try to run a play. Even with the refs, he screwed up. I think he owned it in the interview going into the half, which is good to see. And good that the outcome wasn’t changed by any of the confusion. 

Bears fan here.

Wife and I decided last minute to drive down from Dallas for the game earlier this afternoon. We’re staying at the Springhill by the stadium.

Plan is to go to Little Woodrow’s or Pluckers for the noon games and then head back to hotel and then walk over to the stadium.

From past experiences for Texas Tech games they’ve had beer stands, festivities, etc setup between NRG and I believe the Astrodome that we would normally go to after the Tech Alumni tailgate wrapped up. Does something similar to that setup happen on Texans game days?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.