2024 Houston Texans Season Thread

tx 3 putt

1 hour ago, Hate said:

They are 4-1 with a road loss to a 5-0 team. They have a huge lead in their division for being so early in the season.  Any win right now is a good win. 

We are 4-1 and have a +/- of -12. Even Buffalo, who we survived today has a +/- of +36. We have a lot to clean up, but the coaches need to stop fucking around and accept who we are offensively and start giving the ball to Dell and Diggs.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

It seems that Slowik got too much credit for last year. If he got a job somewhere else I'd feel comfortable with any replacement. 

100%, he has been awful this season. Today, he stays with the run too long which leads to the Texans being behind the chains, followed with the predictable screen play call on 2nd down. Then the most important call of the game, when it's obvious you run the ball and run out the clock, he calls a horribly designed pass play that ends being an intentional grounding. Shit, just get up under center and run a QB sneak with the way Buffalo was lined up to blitz the shit out of everything.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

100%, he has been awful this season. Today, he stays with the run too long which leads to the Texans being behind the chains, followed with the predictable screen play call on 2nd down. Then the most important call of the game, when it's obvious you run the ball and run out the clock, he calls a horribly designed pass play that ends being an intentional grounding. Shit, just get up under center and run a QB sneak with the way Buffalo was lined up to blitz the shit out of everything.

And there was an empty backfield on that dumb play I think
  • Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

the coaches need to stop fucking around and accept who we are offensively and start giving the ball to Dell and Diggs.

There are only 5 teams in the league who pass the ball a higher percentage of plays than we do. This isn’t fucking Madden…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Jesus Christ. You people are acting like the Texans are a perennial SB team. They haven’t played great, but they essentially have a 3 game lead in the division after 5 weeks. They lost a road game to an undefeated team. They are missing some key players and are still winning. Enjoy it. Winning is hard in the NFL. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure why you’re calling on Jesus. Literally nobody here thinks the Texans are perennial SB contenders. 

Some of us think they could make a run this year. But hard to be confident when slowik is actively trying to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with stupidass coaching decisions like that 3rd down pass call. We got lucky today, but shit gets harder in January when it counts. Hopefully they figure it out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Updawg said:

I kind of think on that first pass they were just hoping to burn us or get lucky with a PI. The other two plays were dumb

Why? If they’d run the ball on 2nd and 3rd down we’d have stopped the clock after each play, meaning they’d have been punting in exactly the same situation. We’d have had one timeout instead of three but that didn’t matter; we got the ball with 7 seconds left, the other two timeouts didn’t mean shit.

22 minutes ago, Updawg said:

I kind of think on that first pass they were just hoping to burn us or get lucky with a PI. The other two plays were dumb

Maybe, but as soon as we downed that punt inside the 5, Buffalo should have been playing for OT because their QB was 9-27 up into that point of the game and there is no way they were getting the 60 yards they needed, with 0 TOs, to get into FG range.

Slowik's 3rd down call would be getting a lot more attention if not for the Buffalo coach saying hold my beer. Which was only compunded by having their safeties play 30 yards off the LOS on the final offensive play.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

Just now, Ignatius said:

Why? If they’d run the ball on 2nd and 3rd down we’d have stopped the clock after each play, meaning they’d have been punting in exactly the same situation. We’d have had one timeout instead of three but that didn’t matter; we got the ball with 7 seconds left, the other two timeouts didn’t mean shit.

That assumes we stop them from picking up a 1st down, considering they rolled up 150 yards at 5.4 YPA on the ground.

On second and third with different plays maybe at least get some yardage and breathing room to get off a better punt and make us burn our tos.

Who knows what they were thinking but if they complete that first pass or get a pi they had a chance to win it there

I agree it was dumb and they should have played for ot

I loved watching all of the big lifelong Texan fan news anchors butcher Fairbairn’s name this morning. The dude on Fox26 couldn’t even remember who they beat despite “being at the game”. At least I don’t have to watch them pretend to be Astros fans for another month. 

35 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

loved watching all of the big lifelong Texan fan news anchors butcher Fairbairn’s name this morning.

I’d like to see you pronounce Ka'iminoeauloameka'ikeokekumupa'a correctly 

Edited by TonyTexas

36 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Leave Nico at home this week to rehab. We can beat NE without him which, btw,  might be Drake Maye’s first start. 

Big favorites haven’t faired well this year 

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Early line is Texans -7

Right, but a lot of -6.5 or higher favorites have lost outright this year. Nobody is safe, especially when you're dealing with injuries 

DVOA updated Super Bowl champion odds

1) KC 18.5%
2) BAL 17.6%
3) MIN 10.5%
4) HOU 9.8%
5) BUF 6.9%
6) DET 6.4%
7) SF 6.1%
'8) NO 4.1%
9) SEA 3.3%
10) DAL 3.3%
11) GB 2.5%
12) WAS 2.2%

• Hook 'Em 1

I know it’s sort been this way for a while, but there has to be some competitive advantage/disadvantage about where a bye week falls. Back in the 90’s, it seemed like 25% of teams had a bye in 4 consecutive weeks late October, early November. Now they have some teams doing a bye Week 5, and others not until Week 14.

37 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

If the defense shows up it will be hard for New England to score more than 13-14 points. Even with the injuries we should take care of business. 

I think New England will be extremely run heavy out of 12 personnel. The Texans stay in nickel against that, and NE has two good two-way TEs plus a QB who can move the chains with his legs in Maye. Houston should win a 0-net turnover game, but if they lose the turnover battle in a low possession game (because NE is moving the chains), then it could get a little dicey, especially if Houston has a lot of players out 

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think New England will be extremely run heavy out of 12 personnel. The Texans stay in nickel against that, and NE has two good two-way TEs plus a QB who can move the chains with his legs in Maye. Houston should win a 0-net turnover game, but if they lose the turnover battle in a low possession game (because NE is moving the chains), then it could get a little dicey, especially if Houston has a lot of players out 

Defense will adjust to whatever personnel NE presents. We can stop the run. 

Obviously anything can happen in football, but I'm not gonna chicken little our defense vs. an offense with a brand new rookie QB and terrible offensive line. 

It's not being chicken little to say that this game might be a little tougher than you'd expect with a 7 point spread 

Houston is just fine against rush. #21 in EPA per rush, primarily because their DTs are just ok against it and because they'll stay in nickel against heavier personnel 

• Hook 'Em 2