Texas vs. Michigan - 11am on Fox

Pancho

Fun trip.  I enjoyed their game day experience and keeping it simple.  It felt kinda like stepping into a time machine back into the 70's or something before we got super commercial.  One thing I have to give them props on: their pre-game hype reel narrated by James Earl Jones was awesome.  And a pretty good flex when Darth Vader said: "No one has won as many football games as we have.  No one."

Texas would probably be close if the 2010s didn’t happen the way they did
  • Rage+1 2

6 hours ago, hookem17 said:

There were literally 0 advertisements posted in the stadium. No logos, no billboards, nothing. Also nothing recognizing random bowl game appearances, conference championships, all Americans, retired numbers, or national championships. And honestly, they could have turned up the volume of the music and videos on the screen.  Michigan is a model for keeping the stadium untainted and keeping the focus on the game. I really appreciated it.

Why change anything when you have had 100k+ for decades.

3 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Fun trip.  I enjoyed their game day experience and keeping it simple.  It felt kinda like stepping into a time machine back into the 70's or something before we got super commercial.  One thing I have to give them props on: their pre-game hype reel narrated by James Earl Jones was awesome.  And a pretty good flex when Darth Vader said: "No one has won as many football games as we have.  No one."

They need to go unisex on bathrooms. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

And that boring ass shit reflects into their boring ass crowd. Least intimidating 100k stadium in the country. Literally worse than DKR used to be when we were known as the wine n cheese crowd. 

They were plenty loud on the 1st drive.  They got quiet when they started getting their ass kicked.  Like every crowd.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

BS. Show that "dog" during the game.

After the game, have some fucking class.

Correct. The fact that OU is a neutral site game eliminates the only time it would be okay to plant a flag. Of course if we played in Norman it would also be okay to take a team shit on their field because fuck 'em.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Man, the whole media landscape has changed so drastically. Last time Texas was in this position, I remember watching Sports Center every monday morning on campus at wendy's waiting for them to talk about Texas basically all semester. Does Sports Center even run in that format anymore? I realize I haven't watched sports center in like 10 years.

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

I thought I read or heard that they do that with every visiting team

Fake news!!! 

Okay, that makes sense and is probably right. I did enjoy reading the comments from the angry Michigan posters on Twitter who are unaware of this.  

8 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Paraphrasing Josh Pate this AM

Texas is huge and they're really fast. You don't realize how big they are until you're down on the sideline with them. If you took a person to the game that didn't know anything about football and told them that one of the storylines of the game was that the team in blue was going to bully the team in white they would've said I don't think that's gonna happen.  It was never going to happen. Michigan was never going to bully Texas.

You could simulate the game 10 times and find an outcome where Michigan was going to win.  You will never get a result where Michigan is the physically superior team to Texas. You probably won't find a result where anybody is physically superior to them.

It took the Michigan game to reveal this?  I recall messageboard laymen from other conferences (among spectators in-person) revealing our size and speed comparison the last two years with our home-and-home series with Alabama.  The display of out-muscling and mauling them on the LoS in Tuscaloosa should have been the only observation needed to dismiss any claim some other team would "bully" Texas.

38 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Difference is this visit team put a boot up their ass.

Yeah, like Nebraska.  All nice and shit applauding visiting teams off the field, until Texas started beating them regularly.  Then it was, pick up your shit and get the fuck out of here!  I need to go ice down my ass now.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WBT said:

They were plenty loud on the 1st drive.  They got quiet when they started getting their ass kicked.  Like every crowd.

Yep, it was really, really loud that first possession before reality started to set in. Between our missed kick and their first offensive possession, the Michigan guy beside me said it was among the loudest crowds he's heard at the big house. Things changed quickly. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I dont think i'll be taking any posting criticism from you

Especially considering I imagine lots of fans search out recap and highlight videos when their team wins a big game. It's not like you said Pate's show is an appointment on your schedule every week. 

31 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i think we were at one point #1 during the mack brown years.  could be misremembering.

As I recall we got within 15 or so, but I also could be mistaken. Michigan fans behind us were very cool but did bring that stst up (as mentioned tho it is in their hype video. And would be in ours...)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

The hits just keep coming. Michigan alumni are furious that Texas grads paid to have flags were displayed on their campus. 

GWq-Zwoi-X0-AAZed-D.jpg

It wasn’t just the flags. The entire hotel had more Longhorn decor than our student union. The servers had Longhorns on their lapels. 

IMG_7255.png

• Hook 'Em 3

59 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Paraphrasing Josh Pate this AM

Texas is huge and they're really fast. You don't realize how big they are until you're down on the sideline with them. If you took a person to the game that didn't know anything about football and told them that one of the storylines of the game was that the team in blue was going to bully the team in white they would've said I don't think that's gonna happen.  It was never going to happen. Michigan was never going to bully Texas.

You could simulate the game 10 times and find an outcome where Michigan was going to win.  You will never get a result where Michigan is the physically superior team to Texas. You probably won't find a result where anybody is physically superior to them.

Once you get to this level, nobody can tell how big your team is compared to the other team and for some positions it really doesn't matter.  I'm sure no one was impressed with Javier Worthy's intimidating presence last year. Nor were the Miami Hurricanes impressed with our size back in the '91 Cotton Bowl.

Pate probably mistook the effects of the  slimming dark colors Michigan wore v. The "add 20lbs" of the road whites for Texas.

10 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

SIAP. Goal-line view

That route was nasty. He starts out with a little head fake toward the slant seemingly to set up the fade, and then breaks the fade off into an out. All of which creates separation and enough depth to drive the defender back into the endzone and still have room to come back for the ball. They ran that whip route with Worthy down there a few times, too. Just multiple ways to torture a corner who is singled up near the goal line.

And the throw by Ewers is absolutely elite. He's sprinting out to his left and has to throw it across his body, and somehow places it into that window perfectly. There aren't many QBs who can make that throw when they're set. You can't throw that ball any better - perfect placement, perfect timing. Good luck to any corner trying to defend that.

Beyond that, that play was a dagger. The game was for all intents, over. At 17-3, Michigan is probably thinking, "Ok, we had a bad half but we can regroup at halftime. We get the ball after the kickoff, and if we drive down the field and score a TD, it's a one score game." At 24-3, you start to think about how bad is this going to get in the second half and what do we have to do to avoid getting embarrassed.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Once you get to this level, nobody can tell how big your team is compared to the other team and for some positions it really doesn't matter.  I'm sure no one was impressed with Javier Worthy's intimidating presence last year. Nor were the Miami Hurricanes impressed with our size back in the '91 Cotton Bowl.

Pate probably mistook the effects of the  slimming dark colors Michigan wore v. The "add 20lbs" of the road whites for Texas.

He's talking about the trenches. It matters. You still have to be athletic and good, but big, athletic, and good will dominate athletic and good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

At 17-3, Michigan is probably thinking, "Ok, we had a bad half but we can regroup at halftime. We get the ball after the kickoff, and if we drive down the field and score a TD, it's a one score game." 

Shit, that's what I thought in the final minutes of the first half.  I was happy and feeling better about the chances of a Longhorn win, but thought it could possibly be a different ballgame in the third quarter.  After that TD in the final seconds I felt pretty confident we were going to win comfortably.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Shit, that's what I thought in the final minutes of the first half.  I was happy and feeling better about the chances of a Longhorn win, but thought it could possibly be a different ballgame in the third quarter.  After that TD in the final seconds I felt pretty confident we were going to win comfortably.

Same here.  Plus, knowing that the refs had already robbed us of one TD, I knew we were actually playing even better than the score indicated.  I wasn't worried about the second half at all, given how ineffective their offense had proven to be.

• Hook 'Em 1