Texas vs. Michigan - 11am on Fox

Pancho

26 minutes ago, bluto said:

My sigh of relief was earlier in the game, second or third Mich possession when they emptied the chamber with reverses/flea flickers/misdirection and came away with a long FG… it was desperation in real time, a drowning victim flailing against the rip tide. 

It's kind of funny - kind of like our Big 12 CCG against OKST last year, I never once, leading up to that game, felt like we would lose or it would even be close.  Even when we missed the FG on our first drive, I was like, god damn, we just marched down the field, converted a bunch of third downs, including 3rd and 13, and even though the TD got called back, like the game plan and play calling was so damn good.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gucci_Suit said:

It wasn’t just the flags. The entire hotel had more Longhorn decor than our student union. The servers had Longhorns on their lapels. 

IMG_7255.png

That looks downright opulent .  User name checks out.  
I’ve stayed in some real shitholes to watch Texas football on the road.  

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Correct. The fact that OU is a neutral site game eliminates the only time it would be okay to plant a flag. Of course if we played in Norman it would also be okay to take a team shit on their field because fuck 'em.

It was ok at the 1999 Big 12 CCG in the Alamo Dome…

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

This game was pretty much the OU game 2 years ago. 

you could tell by the 2nd quarter it was over. Michigan has the worst offense ive seen this year

You clearly haven't watched CU, aggie, or ND play. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 89Horn said:

Yeah, like Nebraska.  All nice and shit applauding visiting teams off the field, until Texas started beating them regularly.  Then it was, pick up your shit and get the fuck out of here!  I need to go ice down my ass now.

Yep, Texas turned Nebraska into Reek for over a decade.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, bluto said:

My sigh of relief was earlier in the game, second or third Mich possession when they emptied the chamber with reverses/flea flickers/misdirection and came away with a long FG… it was desperation in real time, a drowning victim flailing against the rip tide. 

For me it was the 3rd and 13 33yd pass. That was pure evil. Portend for the day.

Texas would not punt until the second half. The O was the story of the day completely dismantling the vaunted M defense and taking the M offense out of it's game simultaneously. Complimentary football as Sark likes to call it.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I'm a little concerned with how little work our punter is getting.

You should start a thread. It's a legit concern. I was thinking about that and the lack of field goals. This is terrible coaching on Sarks part. We really need to do score fewer TDs, get fewer first downs and work on our special teams. It's a 3rd of the game for God's sake. 

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

You should start a thread. It's a legit concern. I was thinking about that and the lack of field goals. This is terrible coaching on Sarks part. We really need to do score fewer TDs, get fewer first downs and work on our special teams. It's a 3rd of the game for God's sake. 

Good luck recruiting told flight punters on this team.  Great job Sark. Disappointed World Cup GIF by Goldmaster

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Voluminous Banality said:

These are all fine takes. Just a reminder that after beating Alabama in their house last year, much of the narrative was about how Alabama had fallen off and shot themselves in the foot with turnovers. The QB is terrible, this isn't the same Alabama, etc. By the end of the year, Milroe was in the Heisman discussion and Alabama was in the playoff (and nearly beat Michigan to boot).

Michigan isn't likely to run the table like Alabama did, but I'll also hold off on buying the narrative that that wasn't a top-20 team we faced yesterday. Although Davis "We did this to ourselves" Warren didn't want to admit it, maybe, just like last year, Texas was just that good.

Alabama did  actually shoot themselves in the foot with turnovers and a couple penalties. That's their problem and it doesn't make Texas's victory less impressive or underserved in any way; but you can't have watched that game and say it couldn't have been different if Milroe doesn't throw it right to the white jersey on his own side of the field, twice, or if Alabama doesn't negate scores with dumb penalties. The fall off was a national media narrative talking on it because it was spicy, but it was obvious then that Alabama would still be at least a 10-2 type team and probably win the west. Beating Georgia was really the only surprising thing about the rest of their season, and Milroe was the same inconsistent QB then as he was in September. Milroe giveth and tooketh away against Texas, Georgia, and everywhere in between.

You did not get that impression in the Texas-Michigan game. Yes Michigan committed some unforced errors - the Loveland freak fumble stands out in my mind - but not doing that would have only delayed the inevitable. That Michigan team was simply not beating that Texas team the way the latter played. Two fundamentally different situations, IMO.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

At the beginning of the 06, I believe Texas was ranked #1. Pretty sure the week of the tech game they were too.

I meant #1 in terms of all time wins, not ranking.  Did we go into 06 as #1 with Colt as QB?

10 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

I meant #1 in terms of all time wins, not ranking.  Did we go into 06 as #1 with Colt as QB?

I think Colt had the record of career wins for a starting QB - and he only held that record for a year.  

I'm not sure if we ever got into the top-2 or -3 as a program. 

Also, I just had a chance to re-watch the game, and it was even more of an ass-kicking than I remembered.  

I mean, two possessions into the 3rd Q, and Texas had 24 points while Michigan had 10 yards of offense.  That's the kind of box score disparity you see when a great team plays Southwestern Tallahassee Night School... except we did it on the road against the defending national champion.  

Crazy.  

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

I think Colt had the record of career wins for a starting QB - and he only held that record for a year.  

I'm not sure if we ever got into the top-2 or -3 as a program. 

Texas was #2 for awhile with a fair number of games between them and Michigan.  Things changed and that rank slipped.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Alabama did  actually shoot themselves in the foot with turnovers and a couple penalties. That's their problem and it doesn't make Texas's victory less impressive or underserved in any way; but you can't have watched that game and say it couldn't have been different if Milroe doesn't throw it right to the white jersey on his own side of the field, twice, or if Alabama doesn't negate scores with dumb penalties. The fall off was a national media narrative talking on it because it was spicy, but it was obvious then that Alabama would still be at least a 10-2 type team and probably win the west. Beating Georgia was really the only surprising thing about the rest of their season, and Milroe was the same inconsistent QB then as he was in September. Milroe giveth and tooketh away against Texas, Georgia, and everywhere in between.

You did not get that impression in the Texas-Michigan game. Yes Michigan committed some unforced errors - the Loveland freak fumble stands out in my mind - but not doing that would have only delayed the inevitable. That Michigan team was simply not beating that Texas team the way the latter played. Two fundamentally different situations, IMO.

The Loveland fumble I think was caused by the ref.  He looked up and thought the ref was about to truck his ass.  Probably the same fear that Gov Hot wheels had when Tre Wisner came barreling at him and DPS jumped in the way to shield him

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Also, I just had a chance to re-watch the game, and it was even more of an ass-kicking than I remembered.  

I mean, two possessions into the 3rd Q, and Texas had 24 points while Michigan had 10 yards of offense.  That's the kind of box score disparity you see when a great team plays Southwestern Tallahassee Night School... except we did it on the road against the defending national champion.  

Crazy.  

i get the sentiment, but that was not correct, that unfortunately was a Gus Johnson mis-speak. They had 83/84 yards at half. 

At the time he said that... which i believe was the 2nd drive of the 2nd half, Michigan had around 110 yards... so Gus either misheard what he was told in his earpiece or completely misread the stats. 

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Crazy.  

What? Michigan had a scoring drive in the 1st half. That seems off or poorly written. 

17 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Fun trip.  I enjoyed their game day experience and keeping it simple.  It felt kinda like stepping into a time machine back into the 70's or something before we got super commercial.  One thing I have to give them props on: their pre-game hype reel narrated by James Earl Jones was awesome.  And a pretty good flex when Darth Vader said: "No one has won as many football games as we have.  No one."

Holy shit, we killed him.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

Once you get to this level, nobody can tell how big your team is compared to the other team and for some positions it really doesn't matter.  I'm sure no one was impressed with Javier Worthy's intimidating presence last year. Nor were the Miami Hurricanes impressed with our size back in the '91 Cotton Bowl.
Pate probably mistook the effects of the  slimming dark colors Michigan wore v. The "add 20lbs" of the road whites for Texas.

I’m gonna call bs. I had a buddy that played for North Texas in the early 2000s. When they played Texas, he told me he couldn’t believe how big they were. He was 6’5” 270 or so.

1 minute ago, Jkwellborn said:

I’m gonna call bs. I had a buddy that played for North Texas in the early 2000s. When they played Texas, he told me he couldn’t believe how big they were. He was 6’5” 270 or so.

That’s not the one where North Texas ate up the Longhorn running game is it?

5 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

And while we are on the subject what the hell with not getting the backup punter some reps. Unforgivable coaching mistakes.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Not sure if serious, but the qualifier was "on this level" , which does not include the likes NTSU, unless you are talking about jazz.

28 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

For some reason, that didn't stand out to me at the game.  But thinking on it now, I don't know why it didn't.  It just seemed so natural that there shouldn't be any billboards.

A few other observations on Michigan Stadium and the atmosphere:

Michigan fans are unfailingly cool: Around both Detroit and Ann Arbor all weekend, we didn't have a single interaction with anybody that wasn't positive.  Yeah--they're very proud of their school.  I mean, people think we're arrogant; they've never met the Michigan fanbase.  But even so, they were uniformly pleasant, gracious, and informed.

Michigan Stadium isn't quiet: I had the expectation that it would be a pretty sedate atmosphere, both because of the fanbase and because of the stadium architecture.  But at least through the first quarter, the crowd was really very loud.  I'm not saying it was the loudest place I've ever been, but it was definitely louder than most.  And the addition of the giant suite complexes on both sides really keeps the sound in.  The Eyes of Texas was really loud after the game as the sound bounced between the suites.

The hype video is great: I mean, you know it's going to be great when it starts with James Earl Jones (RIP) putting on his headphones.  But it also includes a fair amount of academic hype.  And that's something we ought to have a little more of.  We have nine Nobel laureates and a couple Turing recipients on faculty and a bunch more as alumni.  That's shit we ought to have on the jumbotron.

On the game:

Fuck deferring to the second half: We won the toss and elected to receive.  That's really out of fashion these days, because it eliminates the chance of getting a late score in the first half and then getting the ball back in the second.  And it puts you in a bad spot if you come out and go three-and-out to start the game, which frequently happens in a tough game on the road.  It set a tone and conveyed a message, and we went out and marched right down the field and should have had a TD.

There was real "it don't make a shit" energy about that.

Our OL is huge: Television doesn't really convey how big and fast these guys are.  But when you see it in person against another top team, it's kind of astonishing.

Arch is a man: You just see him in warm-ups, and it's clear that he's a pro.  Even the Michigan fans were noting it.  And by halftime, the Michigan fans around me were hoping Arch would go in just so they could see the show.  I told them that we don't put Arch in just to hand off; if he goes in, he's running the offense.  But that's what they were hoping for--they wanted to see Arch sling some passes.

Did any of the Michigan fans graciously guide you to the Big House?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

38 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

For some reason, that didn't stand out to me at the game.  But thinking on it now, I don't know why it didn't.  It just seemed so natural that there shouldn't be any billboards.

A few other observations on Michigan Stadium and the atmosphere:

Michigan fans are unfailingly cool: Around both Detroit and Ann Arbor all weekend, we didn't have a single interaction with anybody that wasn't positive.  Yeah--they're very proud of their school.  I mean, people think we're arrogant; they've never met the Michigan fanbase.  But even so, they were uniformly pleasant, gracious, and informed.

Michigan Stadium isn't quiet: I had the expectation that it would be a pretty sedate atmosphere, both because of the fanbase and because of the stadium architecture.  But at least through the first quarter, the crowd was really very loud.  I'm not saying it was the loudest place I've ever been, but it was definitely louder than most.  And the addition of the giant suite complexes on both sides really keeps the sound in.  The Eyes of Texas was really loud after the game as the sound bounced between the suites.

The hype video is great: I mean, you know it's going to be great when it starts with James Earl Jones (RIP) putting on his headphones.  But it also includes a fair amount of academic hype.  And that's something we ought to have a little more of.  We have nine Nobel laureates and a couple Turing recipients on faculty and a bunch more as alumni.  That's shit we ought to have on the jumbotron.

On the game:

Fuck deferring to the second half: We won the toss and elected to receive.  That's really out of fashion these days, because it eliminates the chance of getting a late score in the first half and then getting the ball back in the second.  And it puts you in a bad spot if you come out and go three-and-out to start the game, which frequently happens in a tough game on the road.  It set a tone and conveyed a message, and we went out and marched right down the field and should have had a TD.

There was real "it don't make a shit" energy about that.

Our OL is huge: Television doesn't really convey how big and fast these guys are.  But when you see it in person against another top team, it's kind of astonishing.

Arch is a man: You just see him in warm-ups, and it's clear that he's a pro.  Even the Michigan fans were noting it.  And by halftime, the Michigan fans around me were hoping Arch would go in just so they could see the show.  I told them that we don't put Arch in just to hand off; if he goes in, he's running the offense.  But that's what they were hoping for--they wanted to see Arch sling some passes.

Sark said they took the ball to start because of the wind.  They wanted it in the 4th. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Sark said they took the ball to start because of the wind.  They wanted it in the 4th. 

Yeah, he said there was an 8 yard difference in field goal comfort, depending on the direction. That’s some sweet planning even though you expect to put a boot up their ass. 

21 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Cam Williams needs to clean things up. Had 3 false starts and a holding penalty that cost us a TD. 

One of the false starts was the whole line but 56 is huge and closest to the ref. So he had 2 false starts on the first possession he's ever played starting on the road in front of 100,000 fans and millions more watching at home. Clean after that

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1