Texas vs. Michigan - 11am on Fox

Pancho

10 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I don't think I believe this.  I was told that aggy are the most magnanimous and gracious hosts.

I have no doubt aggy will be doing this by season’s end. And they’ll one up Michigan by offering opposing fans a glory hole bj. It’s their way of sticking it to big blue 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

No, but the PA announcer helpfully told us to drive safely and remind us that State Street would run one way all the way to the interstate after the game.

I somehow refrained from asking the Michigan fans around me whether it was customary to make that announcement with 8:30 left in the fourth quarter.

Yeah the stadium exit announcements seemed suspiciously early 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That route was nasty. He starts out with a little head fake toward the slant seemingly to set up the fade, and then breaks the fade off into an out. All of which creates separation and enough depth to drive the defender back into the endzone and still have room to come back for the ball. They ran that whip route with Worthy down there a few times, too. Just multiple ways to torture a corner who is singled up near the goal line.

And the throw by Ewers is absolutely elite. He's sprinting out to his left and has to throw it across his body, and somehow places it into that window perfectly. There aren't many QBs who can make that throw when they're set. You can't throw that ball any better - perfect placement, perfect timing. Good luck to any corner trying to defend that.

Beyond that, that play was a dagger. The game was for all intents, over. At 17-3, Michigan is probably thinking, "Ok, we had a bad half but we can regroup at halftime. We get the ball after the kickoff, and if we drive down the field and score a TD, it's a one score game." At 24-3, you start to think about how bad is this going to get in the second half and what do we have to do to avoid getting embarrassed.

Thing is #7  and #81 also somewhat open. What a team.

12 minutes ago, Voluminous Banality said:

I have to disagree with some of this.

It's a misperception that turnovers are always unforced errors. Alabama turned the ball over in that game because Texas' D-line was beating their ass all night. When Milroe threw it right at Barron, that wasn't an unforced mistake. Barron baited Milroe into that throw; that's what Jahdae Barron does.

Sure, any game can go differently if a few key plays break the other way, but there was as much shooting of itself in the foot by Texas in that game as by Alabama (e.g. Xavier Worthy dropped TD, Bert Auburn missed FG). Early in the fourth quarter, Texas trailed 16-13 after mostly controlling the game.

On the two Alabama could-be-touchdowns that were called back, one was a blatant hold by the Tide which prevented a Texas sack of Milroe. The other was a near-interception by Jaylan Ford that bounced right off his hands. I'm not a fan of the woulda coulda shoulda game, but if we're going to play that game, those weren't two should-be touchdowns for Alabama; it was a should-be sack and a coulda-been interception for Texas. Texas could've won by more than it did.

The narrative coming out of that game was, yes, great game by Texas, but this isn't the same Alabama team as in the past. Alabama fans almost universally believed that Texas won because Milroe is trash when in fact it was clear watching that game that Milroe made a lot of great plays and that his playmaking was the only thing keeping Alabama in it.

Almost no one was predicting that Alabama would run the table or reach the playoff. This was a flawed team that had at least another loss or two on the schedule. We saw how it turned out.

2024 Michigan won't be as good as 2023 Alabama. I'm still not buying that they are absolute trash and will lose 5 or 6 games. That's just the narrative that emerges when Texas goes in and beats the doors off a national power early in the season.

In a contrarian take, I also don't expect Warren to be as bad as most people are saying. While inconsistent, he flashed with quite a few really good throws. The 4th and 4 throw for 15 yards with a blitzer right in his face was absurd.

Like Sark said, Texas is good. This is who we are. The rest of the country needs to get used to it.

Username checks out

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, cmontexas said:

One of the false starts was the whole line but 56 is huge and closest to the ref. So he had 2 false starts on the first possession he's ever played starting on the road in front of 100,000 fans and millions more watching at home. Clean after that

Yeah I was confused when they called that one on him when everyone but majors and banks moved 

On 9/8/2024 at 5:07 PM, jdhorn92 said:

She was on the field with Sark after the game.

On 9/8/2024 at 5:18 PM, Hiphopopotamos said:

That wasn’t his wife unless she gained all the weight he lost. 

KatFid92

13 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Goddamn yall actually LISTEN to Josh Pate? In your free time? Lol wtf

13 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I dont think i'll be taking any posting criticism from you

Ballgame. 

2 hours ago, Voluminous Banality said:

In a contrarian take, I also don't expect Warren to be as bad as most people are saying. While inconsistent, he flashed with quite a few really good throws. The 4th and 4 throw for 15 yards with a blitzer right in his face was absurd.

the one where he threw across the grain into triple coverage?  great throw.  but if he does that on any other down other than 4th it's a boneheaded decision.

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

the one where he threw across the grain into triple coverage?  great throw.  but if he does that on any other down other than 4th it's a boneheaded decision.

No, not that one. I think you're talking about this play here:

I'm talking about this one:

Boneheaded postgame press conference aside, Warren actually made several high-level throws.

• Hook 'Em 5

9 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

Finally got to really watch the game.  I was working and watching on computer Saturday.  So couldn’t pay close attention   

I have drunk the Koolaid.  

We are loaded.  Deepest team we’ve ever had. At least in my 48 years.     

Our secondary is night and day from last year.  Biggest improvement on the team.  And we are deep (recurring theme).  

Hill and rest of linebackers can play. 

Colin Simmons and Moore are going to get a lot of sacks.  Simmons is going to be a very, very high draft pick save injury.  Best pure pass rusher we’ve had since 2002 with a freshman named Michael Williams (who a year later flamed out because of a girl). 

No longer worried about DT.  We have multiple guys who are good enough to above average.  

WRs are sick. Legit 6 deep.  Wingo is special.  The rest are fantastic college WRs at a minimum. 

Not worried about backs because Gibson is a player behind the two studs in front of him. I love Wisner.  Football player.  

Our backs might catch 80 balls this season combined.  

Where the hell did Helm come from?  I thought he was okay.  Now I think he’s as good as Sanders and maybe better.  He’s got a better frame.  Didn’t realize he’s athletic as he is.  Good depth behind him and apparently the true freshman Washington is a stud.  

Ewers is so, so much better moving in the pocket to avoid pressure and make plays.  That big pass on third and 13 to Bond is a great example.  So was the touchdown to Moore that was called back due to BS holding.  Ewers has really improved.  Don’t know if he will ever hit sideline deep balls at a high rate.  It doesn’t matter.  He can hit deep balls in the middle and is a surgeon hitting receivers on the move on short and intermediate passes.  

We have so much depth.  Sark has recruited and worked portal beautifully.  Mack never had a bottom half of a roster like this.  Very little dead weight.  VY’s title year we had average linebackers and no depth.  No depth at receiver.  No backup quarterback.  Colt’s teams had shitty OLs and average backs and we were screwed if colt got hurt — Chiles was the backup.   If Ewers gets hurt for a couple games like last year, I think Manning keeps it rolling. 

We are going to house at least 3 kicks/punts this year. And I expect our defense to score several TDs by the end of the year.  

The only thing I’ve seen so far that concerns me at all is the punter.  And that’s a very small sample size with a freshman who will likely improve once he settles in.   Maybe we should have gotten a portal punter like last year? Or maybe we will be fine with Kern? I’ll be watching.  

This is our best team since 2005.  And has a chance to go the distance. A really good chance.  We are going to play Georgia twice most likely.  Unless Tennessee beats them.  

This was a masterpiece by Sark. He hammered Michigan on the perimeter early (pass game and even a quick pitch). Getting Grant and Graham moving laterally and tiring them out. When Michigan subbed Grant and Graham out he went big and hit them on inside runs. Michigan brought in a DE that hadnt played, Sark runs a reverse at him. I am not sure Texas threw 1 pass at Will Johnson, but Sark targeted the LBs and Safeties with Helm. 

Ewers was just insane. This is arguably his best game. He was just in control from the start. Stepping up in the pocket and hitting WRs. Converting medium to long 3rd downs consistently. I am having a hard time thinking of another QB that would have performed like that on Saturday. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

Finally got to really watch the game.  I was working and watching on computer Saturday.  So couldn’t pay close attention   

Our secondary is night and day from last year.  Biggest improvement on the team.  And we are deep (recurring theme).  

Colin Simmons and Moore are going to get a lot of sacks.  Simmons is going to be a very, very high draft pick save injury.  Best pure pass rusher we’ve had since 2002 with a freshman named Michael Williams (who a year later flamed out because of a girl). 

No longer worried about DT.  We have multiple guys who are good enough to above average.  

WRs are sick. Legit 6 deep.  Wingo is special.  The rest are fantastic college WRs at a minimum. 

Not worried about backs because Gibson is a player behind the two studs in front of him. I love Wisner.  Football player.  

Where the hell did Helm come from?  I thought he was okay.  Now I think he’s as good as Sanders and maybe better.  He’s got a better frame.  Didn’t realize he’s athletic as he is.  Good depth behind him and apparently the true freshman Washington is a stud.  

Ewers is so, so much better moving in the pocket to avoid pressure and make plays.  That big pass on third and 13 to Bond is a great example.  So was the touchdown to Moore that was called back due to BS holding.  Ewers has really improved.  Don’t know if he will ever hit sideline deep balls at a high rate.  It doesn’t matter.  He can hit deep balls in the middle and is a surgeon hitting receivers on the move on short and intermediate passes.  

We have so much depth.  Sark has recruited and worked portal beautifully.  Mack never had a bottom half of a roster like this.  Very little dead weight.  VY’s title year we had average linebackers and no depth.  No depth at receiver.  No backup quarterback.  Colt’s teams had shitty OLs and average backs and we were screwed if colt got hurt — Chiles was the backup.   If Ewers gets hurt for a couple games like last year, I think Manning keeps it rolling. 

We are going to house at least 3 kicks/punts this year. And I expect our defense to score several TDs by the end of the year.  

The only thing I’ve seen so far that concerns me at all is the punter.  And that’s a very small sample size with a freshman who will likely improve once he settles in.   Maybe we should have gotten a portal punter like last year? Or maybe we will be fine with Kern? I’ll be watching.  

This is our best team since 2005.  And has a chance to go the distance. A really good chance.  We are going to play Georgia twice most likely.  Unless Tennessee beats them.  

spacer.png

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

image.jpeg.712eb774b299bb8618a3c400e0351e55.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

15 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

For some reason, that didn't stand out to me at the game.  But thinking on it now, I don't know why it didn't.  It just seemed so natural that there shouldn't be any billboards.

A few other observations on Michigan Stadium and the atmosphere:

Michigan fans are unfailingly cool: Around both Detroit and Ann Arbor all weekend, we didn't have a single interaction with anybody that wasn't positive.  Yeah--they're very proud of their school.  I mean, people think we're arrogant; they've never met the Michigan fanbase.  But even so, they were uniformly pleasant, gracious, and informed.

Michigan Stadium isn't quiet: I had the expectation that it would be a pretty sedate atmosphere, both because of the fanbase and because of the stadium architecture.  But at least through the first quarter, the crowd was really very loud.  I'm not saying it was the loudest place I've ever been, but it was definitely louder than most.  And the addition of the giant suite complexes on both sides really keeps the sound in.  The Eyes of Texas was really loud after the game as the sound bounced between the suites.

The hype video is great: I mean, you know it's going to be great when it starts with James Earl Jones (RIP) putting on his headphones.  But it also includes a fair amount of academic hype.  And that's something we ought to have a little more of.  We have nine Nobel laureates and a couple Turing recipients on faculty and a bunch more as alumni.  That's shit we ought to have on the jumbotron.

On the game:

Fuck deferring to the second half: We won the toss and elected to receive.  That's really out of fashion these days, because it eliminates the chance of getting a late score in the first half and then getting the ball back in the second.  And it puts you in a bad spot if you come out and go three-and-out to start the game, which frequently happens in a tough game on the road.  It set a tone and conveyed a message, and we went out and marched right down the field and should have had a TD.

There was real "it don't make a shit" energy about that.

Our OL is huge: Television doesn't really convey how big and fast these guys are.  But when you see it in person against another top team, it's kind of astonishing.

Arch is a man: You just see him in warm-ups, and it's clear that he's a pro.  Even the Michigan fans were noting it.  And by halftime, the Michigan fans around me were hoping Arch would go in just so they could see the show.  I told them that we don't put Arch in just to hand off; if he goes in, he's running the offense.  But that's what they were hoping for--they wanted to see Arch sling some passes.

Just a little echo of your sentiments. I've been to the Big House as a tshirt meatchicken fan multiple times when I lived in Chicago. Crowd is a lot better than they get credit for. Not insane levels, but I think it's on part with Texas home field. 

As for Michigan fans before/during/after games, I have to say the pre-rose bowl match up was just a pleasure. I'll be careful here so as not to sound like aggie fan fiction but there were way, way more discussions about the history of the teams, the great match ups and generally a love of college football than shit talk. Even the shit talk was very subdued levels of "Your teams going down tonight! GO Blue!". Yes, that's on the road at a neutral site, and unfortunately I missed this game. In short, if I was forced to pick a University most similar to Texas fans regarding behavior, knowledge and general attitudes about games and their University, Michigan is the one. Based on my personal experience and opinion no other school is close. Wisky is a lot of fun and may have the best tailgating scene for consistency of food quality as well as open attitude to opposing fans. That’s the only other I might include, but it's a different beast.

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Hook 'Em 3

I agree overall with the take on Michigan fans but in addition to two complete moron students (which is expected everywhere) there was a clown in his 50s in our section antagonizing everyone. Strangely enough he disappeared sometime early in the second quarter. 

But only three jackasses with two of them students out of 80,000 Michigan fans is pretty damn good. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I appreciate your passion about this but Sark said post game that the wind was costing them something like 7 yards on kicks and they wanted the wind at their back in the fourth quarter just in case. It made me appreciate his attention to detail and forethought. It also made me realize that we have come a long way since Charlie Strong kicked off both halves. 

Like anyone can even know what direction the wind is going to be blowing in two hours.  Sark not deferring was bad coaching that might have cost us the game. No points on that drive. Burn it all down. Replace entire staff.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Like anyone can even know what direction the wind is going to be blowing in two hours.  Sark not deferring was bad coaching that might have cost us the game. No points on that drive. Burn it all down. Replace entire staff.

Forecast indicated NW winds for the entire game.

53 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I think he did that knowing full well he wasn't putting arch in for the fourth quarter, hoping he'd transfer out.  Sark is not our standard

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

if I was forced to pick a University most similar to Texas fans regarding behavior, knowledge and general attitudes about games and their University, Michigan is the one.

This is pretty unanimous from what I remember on a reddit CFB thread about schools that have a lot in common.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Wisky is a lot of fun and may have the best tailgating scene for consistency of food quality as well as open attitude to opposing fans. That’s the only other I might include, but it's a different beast.

For me it would be Washington.

• In a cool city with a lot to do, a thriving tech scene, and tons of industries
  • Natties and elite QBs
  • Hated rival is a neighboring state school with formidable athletics
  • Hayseed in-state rival with little brother complex
  • Among the best in academics with highly competitive admissions
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

For me it would be Washington.

• In a cool city with a lot to do, a thriving tech scene, and tons of industries
  • Natties and elite QBs
  • Hated rival is a neighboring state school with formidable athletics
  • Hayseed in-state rival with little brother complex
  • Among the best in academics with highly competitive admissions

Well, that's reasonable and I don't know enough UW fans to speak intelligently to the fan attitudes.

In broader aspects, historical football success is not even close similar between UM and Washington as between UT and UM. 

As for cool cities, while subjective I think that's also reasonable. 

Other wise everything you said can help said for UM. So..  I see why you hold that position.

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Well, that's reasonable and I don't know enough UW fans to speak intelligently to the fan attitudes.

In broader aspects, historical football success is not even close similar between UM and Washington as between UT and UM. 

As for cool cities, while subjective I think that's also reasonable. 

Other wise everything you said can help said for UM. So..  I see why you hold that position.

Oh there's no doubt UM is a much closer match. But I would say Washington is closer than Wisconsin

UM's relationship with in state annoying little brother and their border state actual arch rival is perfectly analogous to UT.  They are also hated by their conference mates as I had a number of random fans of all sorts of big 10 teams congratulating me for beating those "arrogant assholes".  

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

UM's relationship with in state annoying little brother and their border state actual arch rival is perfectly analogous to UT.  They are also hated by their conference mates as I had a number of random fans of all sorts of big 10 teams congratulating me for beating those "arrogant assholes".  

In addition, said in-state little brother is a land grant school that has rarely done anything noteworthy. 

And, border state arch rival has had more football success and shady ethics to go with that.

It's a very strong analogy overall.

Edited by TrashMaster G
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Michigan St., while a little brother,is no aggy.  In fact, it would be difficult to find or even recreate aggy anywhere else. Yay Texas.

4 hours ago, Texasborn91 said:

That first half was absolutely a cat playing with its food. Michigan was just so out classed. Other than a few RB mistakes it doesn’t get much better. Gbenda is also a mad man 

Gbenda nuked the center on a run play and threw him 3 yards into the backfield in the first half and I almost came out of my seat. That was something I never would have thought we would get out of that guy. Development at its finest

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Gbenda nuked the center on a run play and threw him 3 yards into the backfield in the first half and I almost came out of my seat. That was something I never would have thought we would get out of that guy. Development at its finest

This staff is developing the hell out of players, from walk ons to five stars.

Ewers, Blue, Helm, Majors, Conner, C. Williams, Broughton, Gbenda, Guilbeau, Barron, and Taaffe are just a few who have shown incredible growth in attitude, strength and body composition, positional technique, confidence, and general ability to bring it and contribute big time on the field.

It's a big reason that Texas looks poised to possibly be even better this year after having 11 players drafted.

Recruits need to take note. If you are a four star or five star, Texas is where you go to fulfill your potential. If you are a lower-rated recruit, this staff can maximize your talent, put you in the right position to succeed, and get you drafted.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Just a little echo of your sentiments. I've been to the Big House as a tshirt meatchicken fan multiple times when I lived in Chicago. Crowd is a lot better than they get credit for. Not insane levels, but I think it's on part with Texas home field. 

As for Michigan fans before/during/after games, I have to say the pre-rose bowl match up was just a pleasure. I'll be careful here so as not to sound like aggie fan fiction but there were way, way more discussions about the history of the teams, the great match ups and generally a love of college football than shit talk. Even the shit talk was very subdued levels of "Your teams going down tonight! GO Blue!". Yes, that's on the road at a neutral site, and unfortunately I missed this game. In short, if I was forced to pick a University most similar to Texas fans regarding behavior, knowledge and general attitudes about games and their University, Michigan is the one. Based on my personal experience and opinion no other school is close. Wisky is a lot of fun and may have the best tailgating scene for consistency of food quality as well as open attitude to opposing fans. That’s the only other I might include, but it's a different beast.

That first series they were super loud and I thought it might be a real problem, but we took them out of the game so fast it was a non issue after that. 

41 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

We're Texas.