Texas vs. Michigan - 11am on Fox

Pancho

IIRC Taaffe made a possibly TD saving tackle.  RB got through the line and hurdle over Taaffe who reached out and got enough of his legs to get him to the ground.  He had a lot of green in front of him if not for that tackle. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Watched the whole thing last night and now I'm sleep starved.  That being said, kinda surprised to find out how much Sark the OC big dicked little Wink

Wink was one of the lowest rated NFL DCs in his last stop if I recall. He is a sharp guy, but Sark ran circles around him this game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Me Too Samesies GIF

I felt pretty positive about Herman too.  He was the guy we wanted, unlike when we hired Strong after alleged Saban thing fell through and while there were some good assistant coaches available that would turn out to be great hcs later on, none checked that head coach box so we ended up with Charlie.

Anyway when it came time to hire Sark, I knew he was really good, but there was hesitation because he was running that amazing 2020 Alabama offense with some incredible error canceling personnel with a good Saban defense and during the messed up Covid season which also saw a pretty ho hum aggy tean end up ranked #4 at the end, so you knew it was flukey.

Well turns out that Saban defense was a little below Alabama’s standard and Jones was not all that, so Sark gets a lot of credit along with the oline and other skill guys.

Even though Sark's first team here really sucked, I enjoyed his play calling, because when it worked, it was great and so much more exciting than anything since 2005, even most of what went on during Colt's years, where it was just mostly playmakers making plays.

I know he’s only had a handful of snaps, but I’ve been really impressed by Ryan Niblett. He might be the most physical back. I think he laid the heaviest hit last Saturday on a Michigan DE. When he carries the ball, he makes one cut, and then crashes into the hole. 

Edited by CastHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

I know he’s only had a handful of snaps, but I’ve been really impressed by Ryan Niblett. He might be the most physical back. He may have laid the heaviest hit last Saturday on a Michigan DE. When he carries the ball, he makes one cut, and then crashes into the hole. 

Huh?

• Haha 1

I’ll own not realizing that Herman had reached the upper bounds of his competence at Houston. I figured he’d seen how top programs are run. He has some douche tendencies, but I can’t get too mad at someone who was mostly just in over his head. 

I was happy with the Sarkisian hire but didn’t understand how fully he grasps how to run a top flight program, on and off the field. 

• Hook 'Em 7

9 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

I know he’s only had a handful of snaps, but I’ve been really impressed by Ryan Niblett. He might be the most physical back. I think he laid the heaviest hit last Saturday on a Michigan DE. When he carries the ball, he makes one cut, and then crashes into the hole. 

I'm expecting to see a lot of Niblett the next three weeks. Coaches will need to figure out what he can be trusted to do before we get to the meat of the schedule. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I felt pretty positive about Herman too.

Man, I didn't.  He was a walking red flag - those losses to Navy, Memphis, SMU, UConn were bad. And really should have warned Texas fans (and not surprised us) when we lost to Maryland twice, TCU, Iowa State, etc. 

He was a douche at UH with a tendency to embrace stupid gimmicks like kissing his players and wearing grills and he carried that over to Texas.  The shitty breakfast punishment, the pizza party he threw for the media before he tried to strong-arm them into favorable coverage, the piss chart, etc. 

Meanwhile, Sark was also a hot shot OC, but after he hit rock bottom, he rehabbed with Saban - and I think the fact that he was so absolutely humble about getting a second chance is why he's successful.  He's never going to take it for granted, because a lot of people do not get a second chance like that. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I'm expecting to see a lot of Niblett the next three weeks. Coaches will need to figure out what he can be trusted to do before we get to the meat of the schedule. 

Gibson being the backup to Blue and Niblett being the backup to Wisner is the best case scenario and what I think they are going for, with Velton Gardner playing spot duty. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Man, I didn't.  He was a walking red flag - those losses to Navy, Memphis, SMU, UConn were bad. And really should have warned Texas fans (and not surprised us) when we lost to Maryland twice, TCU, Iowa State, etc. 

He was a douche at UH with a tendency to embrace stupid gimmicks like kissing his players and wearing grills and he carried that over to Texas.  The shitty breakfast punishment, the pizza party he threw for the media before he tried to strong-arm them into favorable coverage, the piss chart, etc. 

Meanwhile, Sark was also a hot shot OC, but after he hit rock bottom, he rehabbed with Saban - and I think the fact that he was so absolutely humble about getting a second chance is why he's successful.  He's never going to take it for granted, because a lot of people do not get a second chance like that. 

The signs were definitely there, but he was an up and coming young coach and had been penciled in since Charlie's first season. I doubt there was even much of a search. We got the guy we wanted, he just wasn't the guy.

Just now, Jiggy-Z said:

The signs were definitely there, but he was an up and coming young coach and had been penciled in since Charlie's first season. I doubt there was even much of a search. We got the guy we wanted, he just wasn't the guy.

LOL there was no search at all.  The Houston BMDs got what they wanted, all we had to do was bid against LSU. 

3 hours ago, Not a cat said:

I was overjoyed when we hired Herman and said WTF when sark was announced.  CDC should really hire me as a pretty reliable negative indicator for coaching searches.

I didn't like either hire so CDC should follow my kids' example and listen to half of what I say.

2 hours ago, westexhorn said:

Watched the whole thing last night and now I'm sleep starved.  That being said, kinda surprised to find out how much Sark the OC big dicked little Wink

It was a great session. My favorite part is on the TD to Hunter Helms, I mean Gunnar Helm, as soon as he let go of the ball Quinn turned to chirp at one if their DL cause he already knew...picture isn't great but the ball is halfway to Helm and Quinn looking the other way already 

20240912_124930.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

It was a great session. My favorite part is on the TD to Hunter Helms, I mean Gunnar Helm, as soon as he let go of the ball Quinn turned to chirp at one if their DL cause he already knew...picture isn't great but the ball is halfway to Helm and Quinn looking the other way already 

That would be great, but he was checking the LOS marker.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

He really thought Hunter Helm played well. 

On another youtube breakdown by Coaches Caviar posted in the 995 postgame media thread, he kept calling him Grant Helm. If Gunner keeps having games like this, maybe they'll start getting his name right.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, PTINS said:

The Big House - Best Venue to Experience a College Football Game. No arguments.

i've been waiting to see a game in Ann Arbor for 45 years. 

Rarely in life does the reality exceed the expectation. Cherish it when it happens. (Kicking their ass right out of the gate certainly helped.)

image.thumb.jpeg.31c21d171ca4addaab03d75417ea9064.jpeg

My hosts gave me their UM parking pass on campus, and I walked down frat/sorority row to the tailgate. The boys in groups, behind the fences, were rowdy, but tame.  Lots of good natured trash talking, and lots of girls in boots and skirts. Guess that is a more universal thing now. 

Other than "Michigan" sprinkled in a few places, the scoreboard was the only "advertising" in the stadium. Nothing resembling a 360 degree facade with as many words and numbers as it takes to fill the space. Simplicity of design --> compact, but not crowded --  > Not a bad seat in the house (How would I know? I only had 1 seat).

image.thumb.jpeg.f4c1eeb2c7e85b3a236527461d67bbed.jpeg

There were a lot of Texas fans there, all over the place. I saw Texas people everywhere I went for 5 days.

The amount of Burnt Orange was masked by the home crowd in Maize. Blue and Orange would have made a great contrast, but Michigan has some smart people.  You could clearly see their student section.  

The tunnels are at ground level, with the field ~ 50 rows below. Left my seat, walked up 10 rows, through the tunnel, concessions to the right, bathrooms on the left (long lines for mens, no lines for women, WTF?),   This is the first game they started selling beer.

Beer line in my area mid 3rd quarter, before they ran out. Every body in line was from Texas. 

image.thumb.jpeg.941e8e1f349ed23c87925c9d4bc547fc.jpeg

The little caboose in the white boots ... was a stark contrast to the 7,000 HP Steam Locomotive at The Henry Ford Museum.

image.thumb.jpeg.00442745c10fb47c6cb8b60064643d4a.jpeg

1, x. You're just gonna have to take my word. I took her picture with her camera, and she took my picture with mine. Dumb ass!!!

@immamac , you Fucking Rock!!! Tailgate was off the charts.  Good time!!! I went to the adjacent Michigan tailgate when I saw the open liquor table in the middle. Hannah was a Michigan 10, (Surly 9, she was with her Michigan boyfriend), tan legs for miles.  I tried to pace myself, still had 3 beers and 3 whiskeys, before the game.

Ann Arbor reminded of the Austin I grew up in; everybody was in town for the football game. Texas fans and friendly people everywhere.  Met a lot of cuties 😋... and later, their boyfriends and husbands 🙁

Michigan Stadium in the background, behind the scoreboard.

You know how to get a smile like that after 3 hours of getting your spirit crushed?  image.thumb.jpeg.bc321a33ef1d8e5b75dc787f68a1cde3.jpeg

Motown Musuem. Already knew the story, just had to see the Icon.  (HBO's "Hitsville: The Making of Motown" is a must watch for anybody who likes music.)image.thumb.jpeg.aeddf914909013d0d6c4afbe72070ced.jpeg

More Henry Ford Museum. 1956 Thunderbird, my birth year.

image.thumb.jpeg.bd6142a7c19dcfb84d20437cb2d6001d.jpeg

To summarize, visited Michigan*(45 down, 5 to go). got to sing The Eyes of Texas, in The Big House, after crushing the Defending National Champions ; legally acquired 1/2 oz. of "All Gas" Cannabis Flower from The Flower Bowl Dispensary ($21); toured The Henry Ford Museum (kinda like Mecca for Mechanical Engineers), the Motown Museum, not just timeless, great music, but a pivotable piece in the changing cultural fabric of the USA. 

* Interesting fact I learned in a bar at 1 am. There is no South Detroit (sorry Steve Perry). South of Detroit is the Detroit River, and Windsor, Canada. 

Cool writeup. Pic of "Hannah" not loading?

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Cool writeup. Pic of "Hannah" not loading?

Thanks!!!

That ship sailed, but I know where the dock is.

This was a fun trip. Great game. Perfect weather, 40’s in September. I

Everywhere I went, people walked up and engaged in conversation.  Kinda. Some flashed a Horns down, I suggested they weren’t doing it correctly, and we started talking.

Detroit was fun, rightfully proud of its past, with a rich sports history, gambling, and legal weed.

Henry Ford was a great man, and a great benefactor. Brought housing and education to the masses. Gave the schools tickets to the symphony, and the arts. Education + Church choir + the musical arts = Motown, the Motor City Madman (I saw Ted Nugent & The Amboy Dukes at the Armadillo), We Want Grand Funk! ( Sam Houston Coliseum, I think).