Does Quinn have the best pair of road wins in Texas history?

TexArcher

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

@ #3 Bama and @ #10 Michigan.

Both by double digits.

Over 600 total yards, 6 TD's, 0 picks.

Kid's a fucking gamer.

Vince at the 'Shoe at night ranks with those. But not sure what his second would be. Just weren't a lot of big road games in-conference for him.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, John Coctostan said:

Vince at the 'Shoe at night ranks with those. But not sure what his second would be. Just weren't a lot of big road games in-conference for him.

i spose when he pump faked the shit out of Oklahoma St is something...

but @ Bama and @ Michigan, both top 10, is hard to top

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Michigan isn’t a top 10 team, and that Ok St team was unranked (unlike the prior year’s Cowboys squad that got up 28-0 on us and we won 56-35), but that was in Austin. Michigan’s likely overrated status notwithstanding, the answer to the OP is unquestionably yes. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't know but the thought came to me during this game that he could snag a Heisman and be the 3rd in school history and 1st QB to do so.

I think it is one reason he stayed in the entire game. Sark said fuck it, let him get those numbers on the road.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I think it is one reason he stayed in the entire game. Sark said fuck it, let him get those numbers on the road.

I think that had nothing to do with it. Sark was trying to run out the clock. Aside from your eyes, the literal 0 passing yards and 2 passing attempts in the 4th quarter strongly suggest that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Understand we did not do shit. Just wondering why.

We ran the clock, so Sark wasn’t going for Heisman stats. We didn’t even. Try and throw the ball except after a holding call on 2nd and 19 and 3rd and 19. 

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

this will never be topped 

vy is the all time Rose Bowl best qb on any all Rose Bowl team 

That’s beside the point of the OP. I’m sorry today isn’t the day you can shit on Quinn in your typical moronic fashion. 

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Michigan isn’t a top 10 team, and that Ok St team was unranked (unlike the prior year’s Cowboys squad that got up 28-0 on us and we won 56-35), but that was in Austin. Michigan’s likely overrated status notwithstanding, the answer to the OP is unquestionably yes. 

Yeah, let's see where Michigan ends the season.   If they win the Big 10, then sure.  If they finish 7-5 and play in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl, not so much.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Macanudo said:

Yeah, let's see where Michigan ends the season.   If they win the Big 10, then sure.  If they finish 7-5 and play in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl, not so much.

At the time, though, Quinn knocked off #3 Bama and defending champ #10 Michigan on the road. I don’t know who can top that. I don’t know who Street beat on the road besides Arkansas and know VY didn’t beat a ranked team aside from tOSU on the road. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

At the time, though, Quinn knocked off #3 Bama and defending champ #10 Michigan on the road. I don’t know who can top that. I don’t know who Street beat on the road besides Arkansas and know VY didn’t beat a ranked team aside from tOSU on the road. 

Defending champ doesn't mean shit if they finish the season at a lesser bowl.   Don't be obtuse, Rex.

Tech was #18 when we faced them in 2004 in Lubbock and ended the season 8-4. Granted it's not the marquee name of Michigan but I suspect by end of year it well be about the same quality of "win" if you exclude perceived value of Michigan. I'd argue @OSU matched @Bama the next year. 

VY at The Shoe beating that OSU team with a shitload of future NFL guys on it (Bobby Carpenter, AJ Hawk, etc.)

VY at The Coliseum beating a 2x Champion USC team on a 34-win streak with 2 Heisman winners in their own backyard. 

Quinn has been playing well but the wins in Tuscaloosa and Ann Arbor were against first year starters and not the monsters VY brought down in their own houses. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Michigan isn't a top 10 team.  That would be like crowing about beating FSU in the first game of the season.  They are simply incorrectly overrated.  However as a marquee program, yes, they are and beating them is good.   

• Hook 'Em 1

James Street beating #2 Arkansas and #13 SMU?

The Arkansas win beats the Alabama win. By the time the season is over, the SMU win probably beats Michigan. 

For marquee value of working two currently ranked blue bloods on their own field, though, Ewers looks better. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

VY had @#3 Ohio State and @Arkansas 

Will Michigan even be ranked by the end of the year?

Arkansas wasn’t ranked. Michigan may not be. That’s why I say it’s still James Street. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

VY vs USC was Rose Bowl.

Hook’em!!!

At the time, it was not considered a home win. 

But since we're on this...

VY @ OSU

VY vs Michigan (Rose Bowl)

VY vs USC (Rose Bowl)

Those are the best three non-home wins by a Texas QB.

This Michigan team is slow.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

Defending champ doesn't mean shit if they finish the season at a lesser bowl.   Don't be obtuse, Rex.

Okay, you ought to start a thread “2 Best Road Wins by QB in Hindsight After Season Concludes”. Why are you arguing with me?  Can you find 2 better by a single QB?  I can’t. And @jimmyjazzpointed out why. 

Neutral isn't road, and wishcasting over future rankings is silly.  This was a HUGE game and Quinn should get a ton of credit for the win. 

I don't care what UT quarterback has the best two road wins, that's a dumb thing to argue about.

• Hook 'Em 3

Dunno if best ever, but beating Alabama and Michigan in back to back seasons hasn't been done in a while:

Texas became the first school to beat Michigan and Alabama on the road in consecutive seasons since Notre Dame pulled off the feat in 1979 and 1980 with different quarterbacks

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, El Hornarino said:

Dunno if best ever, but beating Alabama and Michigan in back to back seasons hasn't been done in a while:

How many teams have played Alabama and Michigan in back to back seasons?   Seems like kind of hard stat to beat.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

How many teams have played Alabama and Michigan in back to back seasons?   Seems like kind of hard stat to beat.

Notre Dame has played Alabama 8 times, so basically most of those should have been times because they play Michigan nearly every year. Looks like they've done it 5 times, but only won both once. By nature many Big Ten teams would have done this too, basically any season they ever played Alabama. And USC would have done it any time they played Michigan in a rose bowl.

It's not quite as rare as you'd think. But actually pulling off the two wins is.

wait: durr, got notre dame and alabama mixed up. Yeah, this rarely happens then.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed
weed hit me hard

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Especially since Michigan doesn't like to play hard non-conference games.  They prefer G5 or FCS teams.