Week 3, 2024: UTSA @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

33 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

What a wonderful week of football. All eyes on Texas and we dominated. Quinn Ewers looks like a Heisman guy. This team is pretty clearly the best at Texas since 2005. Notre dame lost to a directional school. A week after beating aggy at home. So- it’s a 2-fer in schadenfreude. OU almost lost to UH, the same UH team that lost by 20 to UNLV week one. Arky lost. And got their heart ripped out doing so. The rest of our schedule (outside Georgia) is ass and my suspicion is Texas and Georgia will play 3 times to determine the 1 seed, SEC champ and College football champ. This season has been about as good as it gets so far. 
UTSA on the docket. We thought they might have an outside chance at the playoffs. Now, that’s might be Texas State instead after last week. PHD candidate at QB for UTSA is gone, and what was a frisky team won’t likely even be a speed bump. 
Arch plays a lot. We score 50 something. We allow 0-10 or something. Avoid injuries and get ready for the epic battle the next week against ULM. The SEC really needs to go to 9 games. Bunch of big talking cowards. Oh well. 
UTSA game week thoughts here. 
Hook Em high like an Eagle soars. 

.....and our back ups get needed real game time experience.  Starters are safe from accidental injury.  I'd say that covers it.

1 minute ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

.....and our back ups get needed real game time experience.  Starters are safe from accidental injury.  I'd say that covers it.

2 scrimmages in a row.4 if you count at Michigan and CSU. We should get Quinn the Heisman and Arch enough time to be Honorable Mention all conference. 
The SEC meat grinder myth the Ags sell looks pretty absurd today. 
aggy sucks. OU is mid. Arky is blah. Kentucky, Vandy, Mississippi State and Florida all have pulled the bookshelves down on top of themselves this year.  I’m incredibly unimpressed with our new conference mates so far. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 scrimmages in a row.4 if you count at Michigan and CSU. We should get Quinn the Heisman and Arch enough time to be Honorable Mention all conference. 
The SEC meat grinder myth the Ags sell looks pretty absurd today. 
aggy sucks. OU is mid. Arky is blah. Kentucky, Vandy, Mississippi State and Florida all have pulled the bookshelves down on top of themselves this year.  I’m incredibly unimpressed with our new conference mates so far. 

Bama is off the track too. They had their hands full until the end of the game yesterday.

Hard to even get excited about the next two weeks (UTSA, Louisiana-Monroe).  Btw, that ULM game currently listed as ESPN+/SEC+, both of which I’m assuming mean streaming only (not sure if subscription req’d).  Anyway, not getting excited will be The Longhorns challenge as well.  Despite being opponents of the small conference directional variety, both have a past of occasionally showing teeth against big conference competition (more recently so for UTSA, but check out some of ULM’s skins as well).  Texas has played both in 2022 w/ UT destroying ULM 52-10 in 2022, and entering halftime tied w/ UTSA before winning 41-20.  The 2024 Horns should be able to sleepwalk to 4 score minimum victories over both, but hopefully they don’t take that approach, steamroll these teams in the first halves, and get Arch some 2nd half reps.  They may also want to use these weeks to keep the RB room healthy which will be quite the challenge when expectations should often be running clock.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Fuck it I’m excited for every game.  Even bullshit games like this  I wanna see stat padding. Arch playing in mop up time and giving the future of this team a ton of development.  That way we aren’t rebuilding every year we are rolling in with guys who played all season because we boat raced everyone 

sark is all gas til 3rd. 50 point win 

• Hook 'Em 5

What I love about this season is we have so many WRs that deserve to eat. I want to see DeAndre Moore get 5-6 catches next week. Big play Wingo getting the ball a lot. Some end arounds to Silas Bolden. 

And with the depth issues due to injury at RB, we're not gonna just try to pound the ball in games like this. Let it rip and get lots of quality snaps for our 2nd and 3rd team. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Probably will look a lot like the Wyoming game last year. Come out flat but still win by 3 TD

you have a 995 topic: 21st century flat/trap losses in ann arbor*, athens, columbus, gainesville, south central LA, norman, red stick, south bend*, tuscaloosa, etc.

what were the signs and portents

* appstate 07 and niu 24 already top 5 if not 1-2 on this list

Edited by Hagbard Celine

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

that shiit last night from him is still pissing me off and i haven't even read all of it yet

Handing of a few times at the end of a blowout is serious, serious business. We have set back Arch's development years. 

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Fuck it I’m excited for every game.  Even bullshit games like this  I wanna see stat padding. Arch playing in mop up time and giving the future of this team a ton of development.  That way we aren’t rebuilding every year we are rolling in with guys who played all season because we boat raced everyone 

sark is all gas til 3rd. 50 point win 

This... we go way too many Saturdays throughout the year without UT football not to be excited whenever they play against whomever they play... 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Don’t be vaginas. We win this game easily. We are really good. 

I distinctly remember people panicking about UTSA in 2022 when they were actually good with Franco Harris and Texas was going in with a limp Hudson Card, and even then it was obvious the correct answer was "lol Texas is not losing to UTSA, JFC."

This UTSA team is, uh, not good. Down to the wire with FBS newbie Kennesaw State - what state is that in? - and absolutely dismantled by Texas State. They are likely the worst team Texas will play all year.

The next few games should be noncompetitive scrimmages. If anything before Oklahoma is remotely in doubt in the second half, the team is playing absolutely terribly or the coaches really mailed it in with the game plan.

Edited by gmr548
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I distinctly remember people panicking about UTSA in 2022 when they were actually good with Franco Harris and Texas was going in with a limp Hudson Card, and even then it was obvious the correct answer was "lol Texas is not losing to UTSA, JFC."

This UTSA team is, uh, not good. Down to the wire with FBS newbie Kennesaw State - what state is that in? - and absolutely dismantled by Texas State. They are likely the worst team Texas will play all year.

The next few games should be noncompetitive scrimmages. If anything before Oklahoma is remotely in doubt in the second half, the team is playing absolutely terribly or the coaches really mailed it in with the game plan.

Franco Harris still had eligibility?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Utsa is a 5-6 win team this year. No clue on the line, but Texas should win by 28-31 points

28-31 huh?  Brave brave brave. We would have beaten Michigan by that if we had wanted to. Really out on a limb there doctor. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

28-31 huh?  Brave brave brave. We would have beaten Michigan by that if we had wanted to. Really out on a limb there doctor. 

Exactly. The barely FBS Bobcats beat the Roadrunners by 39 points. Texas just went into Ann Arbor with calm confidence and handled Michigan with ease. If our margin of victory over UTSA is less than 40 points, it will be Sark naming the score. 

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

We curb stomp UTSA. We approach 50 again. Band comes on in the 4th.

What sucks is now I have to listen to Texas State fans act like they are relevant in the big scheme of college football.

I mean with the 12 team playoff guaranteeing G5 access (for now) and Texas State miraculously finally getting their shit together a the same time…not the most irrelevant team in college football right now

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/college-football-bowl-projections-entering-week-3-playoff-picture-changes-after-notre-dame-loss-235847189/#2482683

crazy stupid early bowl/playoff projection szn also gonna help

13 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Just curious, but why wasn't the ULM game scheduled for late November like the rest of the SEC teams do in playing a cupcake later in the year?

We didn't know when exactly we would get into the SEC without having to sue our way out of the Big 12. We would've had to probably drop ULM and pay a penalty to them and then find a cupcake to add in November.