Week 3, 2024: UTSA @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

7 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Line is 34 1/2

It opened at Circa yesterday at -30 and at -30.5 at fanduel

-34.5 sounds closer to what it should be, but maybe the market expects a relative letdown spot

1 hour ago, Fud said:

It opened at Circa yesterday at -30 and at -30.5 at fanduel.  -34.5 sounds closer to what it should be, but maybe the market expects a relative letdown spot

Yeah, potential letdown game but Traylor might have a better performance from his group in Austin than in San Marcos.

woof utsa was terrible...

7 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I normally get more nervous on these kind of "trap" games, but UTSA genuinely doesn't have an offense this year and I don't think their defense can score 40 on us.

Texas has leveled up. Don’t worry about these games 

• Hook 'Em 6

21 hours ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Hard to even get excited about the next two weeks (UTSA, Louisiana-Monroe).  Btw, that ULM game currently listed as ESPN+/SEC+, both of which I’m assuming mean streaming only (not sure if subscription req’d).  Anyway, not getting excited will be The Longhorns challenge as well.  Despite being opponents of the small conference directional variety, both have a past of occasionally showing teeth against big conference competition (more recently so for UTSA, but check out some of ULM’s skins as well).  Texas has played both in 2022 w/ UT destroying ULM 52-10 in 2022, and entering halftime tied w/ UTSA before winning 41-20.  The 2024 Horns should be able to sleepwalk to 4 score minimum victories over both, but hopefully they don’t take that approach, steamroll these teams in the first halves, and get Arch some 2nd half reps.  They may also want to use these weeks to keep the RB room healthy which will be quite the challenge when expectations should often be running clock.

They’ll be streaming on YouTube. Search Texas v UTSA and at least one option should pop up if not more

23 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

2 scrimmages in a row.4 if you count at Michigan and CSU. We should get Quinn the Heisman and Arch enough time to be Honorable Mention all conference. 
The SEC meat grinder myth the Ags sell looks pretty absurd today. 
aggy sucks. OU is mid. Arky is blah. Kentucky, Vandy, Mississippi State and Florida all have pulled the bookshelves down on top of themselves this year.  I’m incredibly unimpressed with our new conference mates so far. 

They are still Vanderbilt, but I'm not sure what they have done THIS season to warrant such a statement.  They beat VaTech outright as a 13.5 point dog, and did what they were supposed to do against Alcorn St.  I'm not at all worried about beating them, but they are 2-0, the same as we are, and look to be improved thus far.  

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Fud said:

It opened at Circa yesterday at -30 and at -30.5 at fanduel

-34.5 sounds closer to what it should be, but maybe the market expects a relative letdown spot

Seems like Circa was just low

Most online sites have it in the -33.5 and -34.5 range

9 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Next 3 games based on returning production. 

UTSA #111, ULM #125, and Miss State #122. We are playing teams overhauling their roster. 

Damn, so 6 straight bye weeks before OU/Georgia back to back! 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

They are still Vanderbilt, but I'm not sure what they have done THIS season to warrant such a statement.  They beat VaTech outright as a 13.5 point dog, and did what they were supposed to do against Alcorn St.  I'm not at all worried about beating them, but they are 2-0, the same as we are, and look to be improved thus far.  

animal-house-forget-it-hes-rolling.gif.adb5a936be26e66ac97d993a9913b154.gif

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Virginia Tech being a 13.5 point favorite over another P5 team on the road is dumb. I would have jumped all over that. 

Virginia Tech has gone 5-6, 6-7, 3-8, 7-6, and now 1-1 in the last 5 years. They've been a bad team in a bad conference for half a decade. That line is incredibly bad if that was really the line. 

25 minutes ago, Fud said:

Seems like Circa was just low

Most online sites have it in the -33.5 and -34.5 range

I saw -32.5 somewhere early (MGM?).  Name-your-score games are a crapshoot.  We could get two more offensive drives if we put in the #3s and actually want to practice or we could just kill clock.  And there's also a decent chance we have covered by halftime and it doesn't matter.

23 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Fuck it I’m excited for every game.  Even bullshit games like this  I wanna see stat padding. Arch playing in mop up time and giving the future of this team a ton of development.  That way we aren’t rebuilding every year we are rolling in with guys who played all season because we boat raced everyone 

sark is all gas til 3rd. 50 point win 

I expect the team is excited throughout the season as well. We have not been good enough in the past few seasons to get complacent. Too many games that we were running away with turned into shit fights because of going for it on fourth instead of kicking the goddamn field goal and not having an above average defense (secondary).

It's a long time since I've played, but I've watched a lot. Hungry teams like eating up every bite. Winning is not quite routine around here yet. OU and A&M have the best chances for upsets. It will be hard to take the Aggies seriously at the end of the season. It is the trap game as they were in 2005. We crushed them but it wasn't the breeze it should have been.

The guys are playing with wrathful joy. It's like a drug. I do hope some of our opponents improve over the coming weeks just as I hope we do.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Damn near 5 weeks before we play ou. This almost going to feel like the off-season.  At least we can rely on Surly to be it's usual shitshow self as surely as the sun rises everyday.

There is about a 99% chance we go into the OU game undefeated. I did not realize that Georgia goes to Alabama in two weeks, so somewhat decent chance we're ranked #1 after that (although I would expect Georgia to win that game).

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

There is about a 99% chance we go into the OU game undefeated. I did not realize that Georgia goes to Alabama in two weeks, so somewhat decent chance we're ranked #1 after that (although I would expect Georgia to win that game).

And if Ou plays like they did Saturday, they will have 2 losses 

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I know it's only Week 2, but Alabama looked shaky against South Florida, and didn't really pull away until the 4th quarter.  I think Georgia will win, and even if it's a close game, I don't seen an undefeated team jumping them before Georgia comes to Austin.

But assuming we beat OU, holy fuck, Texas hosting a No. 1 v. No. 2 matchup?    

• Drool 2

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I know it's only Week 2, but Alabama looked shaky against South Florida, and didn't really pull away until the 4th quarter.  I think Georgia will win, and even if it's a close game, I don't seen an undefeated team jumping them before Georgia comes to Austin.

We were so bad for so long. I feel like Tom Hanks at the end of Castaway. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Red Five said:

If Alabama beats Wisconsin and Georgia (extremely unlikely on the second part) they'll jump us to #1.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Hopefully it would be a night game and be as electric as 2008 Mizzou. Granted that was 1 v 11 but I remember that crowd was 100x better than a week later for an afternoon contest for 1 v 7 (OKST)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

15 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Their offense looks like ass and they needed a blown safety call to close out Houston.  They are going to lose a few games this year.

They are going to get absolutely hammered by Texas, Tennessee, Bama, and Ole Miss, and I think they are in a lot of trouble against LSU and Mizzou. 

Edited by Vertigo

2 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Wisconsin is not good. But it’s a road game so who knows. 

I think “far more likely to lose both than win both” turns more on the UGA game than the Wisconsin game. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

4 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I normally get more nervous on these kind of "trap" games, but UTSA genuinely doesn't have an offense this year and I don't think their defense can score 40 on us.

Yep, UTSA doesn't appear to really appear to have much at all this year.  ULM whipped up on UAB last week and gets a bye week so Sark will have that to get some focus next week but UTSA should absolutely be a depth building game 

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

They are going to get absolutely hammered by Texas, Tennessee, Bama, and Ole Miss, and I think they are in a lot of trouble against LSU and Mizzou. 

Please, Tulane is going to put up a good fight next week.  Just ask K-State. 

• Hook 'Em 2