Week 3, 2024: UTSA @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

5 hours ago, Mason Ramsey said:

IMO it's more likely Ohio State jumps us if they can get an impressive win at Oregon the week before we play Georgia. A win at Oregon will end up looking better than a win at Michigan, although a 1 vs 3 matchup is still ridiculous. 

Wouldn’t say I’m sold on this. They’ve looked pretty shitty as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Doc Holliday said:

suck it trebek

utsa coed game is very strong 

awhile back headed with my mom to the costco utsa, 9:30 or so. lot of utsa apts over there. we pass a drive by 10, still dressed in her club clothes from the night before, carrying her heels. ‘why’s that girl dressed for the club at 10am ???’

me …. 

Thats Nice Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Mason Ramsey said:

IMO it's more likely Ohio State jumps us if they can get an impressive win at Oregon the week before we play Georgia. A win at Oregon will end up looking better than a win at Michigan, although a 1 vs 3 matchup is still ridiculous. 

We are going to strum the shit out of the next two teams on the schedule. If we look good against Miss St and OU there's no way they jump us. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Mason Ramsey said:

It might end up looking better at the end of the season but I don’t think it will by week 7.

plus Oregon is the only team in the rankings that has managed to fall in the polls after two straight wins 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Wouldn’t say I’m sold on this. They’ve looked pretty shitty as well.

This.  Has anyone watched either of Oregon's two games so far this season?  They have struggled to barely beat both Idaho and Boise State.

I think this season's Texas team would beat both of those teams by at least four touchdowns.

Not saying that they aren't capable of improvement, but right now, they are absolutely not any more impressive than Michigan.

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

It might end up looking better at the end of the season but I don’t think it will by week 7.

plus Oregon is the only team in the rankings that has managed to fall in the polls after two straight wins 

I live in Oregon. sure, Boise St is decent and has a badass running back but the ducks are very underwhelming so far. Would not be surprised to see the Beavs give them a game this weekend. The suck of ou hasn’t washed off of Dillon Gabriel

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 2

Going into Corvallis is never easy for Nike U, and I think Oregon State is gonna be extra amped up due to being left behind. Yeah they lost a lot because of coach leaving and transfers but there is some pride there.

Living up here I really hope the realignment shenanigans don’t kill the Oregon- Oregon State rivalry because it is pretty sweet. I’d put it up there with any non Texas-ou rivalry, and within Oregon it is pretty cool

• Hook 'Em 5

Coach Traylor pulled out all his tricks and gadgets against Texas in 2022 and in the first half, UTSA got out to a 10 point lead after a successful surprise onside kick and Frank Harris making a lateral pitch to their RB who passed the ball for a TD. I don’t think we’ll get caught off guard this time. We won by 21 in 2022, and I think we’ll win by 30+ this time because UTSA is rebuilding their offense 

IMG_6765.png

The SP+ ranking of the next three opponents, all at home

UTSA: #89

ULM: #118

MSU: #51- I don't think this is accurately capturing how bad this team is

Texas then has a bye week before the RRSO and Georgia. While the SEC did no favors to Texas by giving Georgia the week after OU, they did give Texas a nice letdown spot in a road trip to Vanderbilt 

The obvious benefits of this four week stretch are allowing the team to get relatively healthy and giving the young players/backups plenty of playing time (something Texas has frequently struggled with over the past decade given how many close games they've had to play), but perhaps most importantly this stretch gives Texas over a month to prepare for OU/Georgia

OU also has a bye before the RRSO, but I suspect they're going to have a much tougher time in the three weeks prior (Tulane, Tennessee, at Auburn) than Texas will and they won't have the luxury of holding anything back in those games or reallocating any resources away from the task at hand. Tennessee is their version of Georgia, and I think Heupel has had this one circled for obvious reasons, and OU could get embarrassed if they don't go all-out (they might get embarrassed anyway). Also, Auburn hasn't looked great, but that's not a place you want to play in a letdown spot

• Hook 'Em 7

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

Texas then has a bye week before the RRSO and Georgia. While the SEC did no favors to Texas by giving Georgia the week after OU, they did give Texas a nice letdown spot in a road trip to Vanderbilt 

Also, Georgia does not have a bye at all before the Texas game.

• Hook 'Em 1

Defensive Deep Dig from Dunlap on OB

Spoiler

DEEP-DIG-2016-OFFICIAL-Texas-Longhorns-Football-Def-DIS-LEGEND.jpg

***Also, Please note: -1 point has been added for any defensive penalty outside of defensive pass interference which is always considered a coverage burn and is not double-counted. Also, please note that missed tackles that result in blown contains are counted as blown contains (-1) and are not double-counted as both a blown contain and a missed tackle.

Also, please note that exact snap-count numbers may differ from other sources at times, as the Deep Dig does not count plays as defensive player snaps that are blown dead due to penalty, punts, opponent victory formations, opponent kneel downs, opponent spiked balls, extra points or other plays where the player is not technically playing on defense***

Defensive Snap Counts By Week and Percentage of Total Defensive Snaps Played - Through Week 2
Deep-Dig-2024-Defensive-Player-Participation-1.jpg

Defensive Productivity Market-Share Percentages and Snaps per Production Caused Metrics *Through Week 2* (snaps per disruption caused is colored coded from blue/best to white/median to red/worst; movement up or down the rankings from last week in parentheses after player's name):
Deep-Dig-2024-MICH-PROD.jpg

Snaps per Production Caused Trends by Week (Season/Cumulative - Post Week 2)
Deep-Dig-2024-S_PROD-by-week-.jpg

Quick Hits and Thoughts

- It was only a slight indicator at first, but it seemed early on like Colin Simmons had overtaken Justice Finkley for the direct backup job behind Trey Moore in base downs. Simmons had come into both games this season ahead of Finkley, but only on sub-package passing downs. In the second series of the Michigan game, Simmons came in for more in a base set rather than Finkley.

From there, Simmons went on to have one of the most absurd games we can remember. It might not have been truly obvious (especially to those of us who might have gone into the second half a little tipsy -- especially for that early in the day) but Simmons had 5 (five!) pressures and a separate sack against the defending national champions. We'll look back on the game Simmons had in Week 2 at Michigan in much the same way we look back at Anthony Hill's freshman year Week 2 at Alabama. Games where the top-of-the-class defensive recruits for Texas truly introduced themselves en route to much, much more playing time.

Combined Sack + QB Hit + QB Pressure Leaders (Single Game) since 2015

2022 Barryn Sorrell vs. Texas Tech - 7 (1 hit, 6 pressures)
2016 Malcolm Roach vs. Oklahoma State - 7 (3 hits, 4 pressures)
2020 Joseph Ossai vs. Oklahoma State - 7 (3 sacks, 2 hits, 2 pressures)
2024 Colin Simmons vs. Michigan - 6 (1 sack, 5 pressures)
2022 Keondre Coburn vs. Kansas State - 6 (1 sack, 1 hit, 4 pressures)
2020 Joseph Ossai vs. TCU - 6 (1 sack, 2 hits, 3 pressures)
2017 Malik Jefferson vs. Iowa State - 6 (1 sack, 1 hit, 4 pressures)
2015 Malik Jefferson vs. Rice - 6 (2 hits, 4 pressures)
2023 Barryn Sorrell vs. BYU - 5 (1 sack, 2 hits, 2 pressures)
2023 T'Vondre Sweat vs. Kansas State - 5 (1 hit, 4 pressures)
2023 Byron Murphy vs. Kansas State - 5 (1 hit, 4 pressures)
2021 Ovie Oghuofo vs. Baylor - 5 (1 hit, 4 pressures)
2020 Joseph Ossai vs. Texas Tech - 5 (2 hits, 3 pressures)
2019 Joseph Ossai vs. Oklahoma - 5 (3 hits, 2 pressures)
2018 Charles Omenihu vs. Baylor - 5 (1 sack, 3 hits, 1 pressure)
2018 Gary Johnson vs. Iowa State - 5 (1 sack, 3 hits, 1 pressure)
2016 Breckyn Hager vs. Iowa State - 5 (1 sack, 2 hits, 2 pressures)
2016 Malik Jefferson vs. Texas Tech - 5 (3 sacks, 2 pressures)
2015 Hassan Ridgeway vs. Kansas State - 5 (3 hits, 2 pressures)

In his second game as a true freshman (on limited snaps), just look at the company Colin Simmons keeps.

- Jelani McDonald came in at the nickel corner for Jaylon Guilbeau in the third series of the game where Mukuba had the interception, but Guilbeau was right back in to start the next series. McDonald came back into the game for Guilbeau to start the second half. While the safety rotation featured Taaffe, Mukuba and Williams, McDonald was getting his work in through the earlier parts of the game in relief of Guilbeau at the nickel. Then, later in the game, in the first series where the backup LBs came in, we had Barron at nickel with McDonald and Williams at the safeties. Barron continued to play much of the second half of the ball game at nickel. In the end, it really just shows that Sark isn't lying when he talks about the versatility some of the guys on defense have positionally, and how that versatility allows them to disguise things. In one game, Barron played as a field corner, a boundary corner, a nickel corner and a dime linebacker!

- Very little Morice Blackwell in this game. He played as a true backup and was even taken out of a dime set that Texas relied on late in the game for Liona Lefau (a slower player and worse fit in a one-LB speed alignment) because he missed a second tackle on limited snaps. It could just be that Texas often opted for heavier personnel, especially at the start of the game.

Texas went with a heavy front versus Michigan where Trey Moore transitioned to a third SAM LB with a high frequency, presumably as a deterrent to the Wolverine run game, while guys like Alfred Collins moved to the SDE and Barryn Sorrell/Ethan Burke-types flopped to the buck-end in a true 4-3 alignment.

- Andrew Mukuba had a monster game after a quiet start to the season. We wondered all week what the answer to Michigan Colston Loveland was going to be and to a large degree it was Andrew Mukuba, even though Michael Taaffe and Derek Williams got the start in this one (unlike last week when it was Taaffe and Mukuba).

Now, on the very next play after the one above, he gave up a catch to Colston but the rest of his game more than made up for a hiccup here or there. He was clearly thrown at 4 times and allowed 2 receptions while also generating two blowups (PBUs that blow up the WR) and one interception. He also pitched in 4 total tackles and one separate TFL that the school didn't count, but where the runner clearly did not reach the LOS.

All of the sudden, Texas has a back end of the defense (its achilles heel last season) that features 4 of its Top 6 producers through two weeks.

- Scholarship players who took defensive snaps in Week 1 who did not play on defense versus Michigan: CB Kobe Black (35% of snaps in Week 1), NCB Jordon Johnson-Rubell (22.22%), DE Colton Vasek (22.22%), S Xavier Filsaime (22.22%), DL Aaron Bryant (18.52%), CB Warren Roberson (16.67%), LB Derrion Gullette (12.96%), CB Jay'Vion Cole (7.41%), CB Wardell Mack (5.56%) and DL Jaray Bledose (1.85%).

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Grande Mart said:

Going into Corvallis is never easy for Nike U, and I think Oregon State is gonna be extra amped up due to being left behind. Yeah they lost a lot because of coach leaving and transfers but there is some pride there.

Living up here I really hope the realignment shenanigans don’t kill the Oregon- Oregon State rivalry because it is pretty sweet. I’d put it up there with any non Texas-ou rivalry, and within Oregon it is pretty cool

My son attends UO, so I peripherally follow the Ducks.  Was pretty bummed when the Pac-12 blew up, but the conference did that to themselves.  Still hope the Civil War can continue on into the future, as it is such an important rivalry in Oregon.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

So I noticed that Juan Davis was in a ton. What has happened to Amari Niblack? Did he play? I can't find any info on what is going on with him in the google verse or podcasts.

Might be as simple as Davis and Helm like contact and blocking, and Niblack does not. He seems to be a receiving-only threat that is probably gameplan-dependent. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Sark name-checked him in yesterday’s PC as a player who they need to step up. 

Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but that feels like a nudge to someone who’s close, not calling someone out in public, per se. If that makes sense. 

On 9/9/2024 at 10:03 AM, Huckleberry said:

If Alabama beats Wisconsin and Georgia (extremely unlikely on the second part) they'll jump us to #1.

unlikely on the first part?

2 years ago they scraped by 20-19 in their first true road OOC in 20+ years west of the mississippii (loss in Norman '02)

the line is 15.5 on saturday

i think wisky beat them straight up

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2024 at 8:47 AM, The Ace of Aces said:

Curious if Texas covers this one. Sark won't run the score, he'll call the second half even more vanilla than Michigan imo. 

Guessing a 35-6ish type game. 

i don't think sark has the option of calling off the dogs

we have to face the reality that ewers has a heisman campaign underway

and you can't run out manning behind 2's and 3's - too much risk

yes it's a system school but this is business

6 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

unlikely on the first part?

2 years ago they scraped by 20-19 in their first true road OOC in 20+ years west of the mississippii (loss in Norman '02)

the line is 15.5 on saturday

i think wisky beat them straight up

well crap i just realized my geography if faulty

madison is east of the mississippi

On 9/9/2024 at 9:33 AM, RomaVicta said:

OU and A&M have the best chances for upsets

fair park is never an upset when the obvious favorite loses

god help us if aggy isn't over by halftime

pig gata uk vandy they're all possible trouble - there is no way at least 1 of them isn't trouble if not 2

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/9/2024 at 10:09 AM, Vertigo said:

They are going to get absolutely hammered by Texas, Tennessee, Bama, and Ole Miss, and I think they are in a lot of trouble against LSU and Mizzou. 

the thieves may get trounced by everyone else but if you think for 1 second that fair park is a walk any year you are delusional

• Hook 'Em 1