Week 3, 2024: UTSA @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

5 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the thieves may get trounced by everyone else but if you think for 1 second that fair park is a walk any year you are delusional

This year will be a walk in the park. Where “walk in the park” means “motivated, embarrassed guys in burnt orange and white curb stomp OU as if they’d kicked their dogs.”

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

This year will be a walk in the park. Where “walk in the park” means “motivated, embarrassed guys in burnt orange and white curb stomp OU as if they’d kicked their dogs.”

Just a reminder that Red River is the most volatile rivalry in college football. The underdog does better in Dallas than in any other one, and by a huge amount.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Just a reminder that Red River is the most volatile rivalry in college football. The underdog does better in Dallas than in any other one, and by a huge amount.

I said what I said. 

And I said last year OU would win. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

6 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

unlikely on the first part?

2 years ago they scraped by 20-19 in their first true road OOC in 20+ years west of the mississippii (loss in Norman '02)

the line is 15.5 on saturday

i think wisky beat them straight up

Wisconsin is not good. 

50 minutes ago, texifornia said:

OU has won as an underdog twice in 30 years.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i don't think sark has the option of calling off the dogs

we have to face the reality that ewers has a heisman campaign underway

and you can't run out manning behind 2's and 3's - too much risk

yes it's a system school but this is business

well crap i just realized my geography if faulty

madison is east of the mississippi

Is that north or south of the dotted Dixon line? 

48 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Which is why Texas is going to set it right this season. OU has nothing for Texas. This isn’t Mack Brown on the sideline. Texas is going to be pulling players ahead of the UGA game. 

I hear the confidence - and we should be a much better team this season - but it's still the RRR.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, ztejas said:

I hear the confidence - and we should be a much better team this season - but it's still the RRR.

I could be completely wrong. If I were actually consistently good at this I’d have a fatter net worth. I just think it’s going to be a dominating win and the only thing — barring things that shall not be mentioned — that will keep it from being an abject humiliation is UGA prep. 

19 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Fair. We’ve taken some bad teams into Dallas and won. But damn, that OU offense is ass, my dude. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ztejas said:

Yeah I think they've potentially regressed after being pretty good last season. 

OL sucks, top 2 WRs hurt and running off Gabriel so Arnold wouldn’t transfer was a choice. They’ve all turned on Littrell 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

Out of how many times? Its not like weve been consistently outperforming OU in recent memory.

6, I believe.  It's a normal upset rate historically when we are favored.

The reason for the high upset rate in the rivalry is the preseason overrating of OU, game played early in the season (before Oklahoma is exposed), and Bob Stoops generally being bad against closely-talented teams.

Edited by JBJ

4 minutes ago, JBJ said:

The reason for the high upset rate in the rivalry is the preseason overrating of OU, game played early in the season (before Oklahoma is exposed), and Bob Stoops generally being bad against closely-talented teams.

Um. No. It's because it's a neutral site game with the crowd split 50/50 featuring two teams that every year come in playing against decades of incestuous, hate-filled history that mucks everything up and throws predictions out of the window. 

Pretty sure Gardere beat them 4 straight times in the 90s as an underdog - in all 4 games - before Stoops ever got to OU.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Um. No. It's because it's a neutral site game with the crowd split 50/50 featuring two teams that every year come in playing against decades of incestuous, hate-filled history that mucks everything up and throws predictions out of the window. 

Pretty sure Gardere beat them 4 straight times in the 90s as an underdog - in all 4 games - before Stoops ever got to OU.

Georgia-Florida does the same thing. There are still not as many upsets (although Georgia did have their own streak of preseason overratedness).

1 hour ago, Horn75 said:

Couldn’t get hotel in downtown for walking distance so where does ride share pick up before and after game? And how much for about a 10-15 min ride

I uber'd to SW Austin after a game last year around midnight and it was I think $80.

7 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

The 2008 team did not have near the talent level at starters at OL, LB, or RB.  TE was a black hole when Irby went down in game 3 (Rice).  Ogbonnaya was our best RB and he got 74 carries on the season (we did use him well in the passing game).  Guy was a great player we should have used more. Vondrell McGee got the most carries and he was a complete JAG. Cody Johnson was okay but never took conditioning seriously to really be good.

The 2008 team also had no depth at QB, safety, OL, RB, or WR.  If Colt went down, you had John Chiles.  That's a three loss swing.  If Ewers goes down, I am not sure we skip a beat.

Give me the DL on 2008.  Those guys were special.  I do think the current ends on this team can be what Kindle and Orakpo were.  We don't have a Lamarr Houston or Roy Miller though.  And Melton could play.

Shipley and Cosby were all timers.  And Collins was a good #3.  But this group has 6 really good ones.  That's a push in my mind.  Wingo might be our best in a month.

The one thing 2008 had over 2024 is Earl Thomas. That sumbitch was everywhere on the field. The corners were better too: Aaron Williams, Curtis Brown and Chykie Brown. That RB room also had Fozzy. Both he and Chris O played in the league. But overall, 2024 appears to be a much deeper, well rounded team and the OL comparison is comical. 2008 largely overachieved, which is what made them so much fun. They just refused to lose and if not for 1 or 2 backbreaking plays vs. Tech, I think they win the national title.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The one thing 2008 had over 2024 is Earl Thomas. That sumbitch was everywhere on the field. The corners were better too: Aaron Williams, Curtis Brown and Chykie Brown. That RB room also had Fozzy. Both he and Chris O played in the league. But overall, 2024 appears to be a much deeper, well rounded team and the OL comparison is comical. 2008 largely overachieved, which is what made them so much fun. They just refused to lose and if not for 1 or 2 backbreaking plays vs. Tech, I think they win the national title.

The other thing 2008 had was Blake Gideon manning the other safety spot.

9 hours ago, Horn75 said:

Couldn’t get hotel in downtown for walking distance so where does ride share pick up before and after game? And how much for about a 10-15 min ride

I typically call my Ubers to the game to the Snarfs north of the stadium. I typically don’t get hit with the gameday surcharge and it’s typically the closest point I can get dropped off at anyway

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Some y’all keep forgetting. Here’s a reminder:

I just want to know who that chick is. Got damn! 

Also, we're going to face rape ou this year. They are horrible in all facets of the game. They may struggle to get to 5 wins this year. Their schedule is brutal, their offense sucks, and the defense is average at best. It will get exposed by Tulane, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Bama, UT, and probably even a bad LSU team. 

5 hours ago, TexasMan said:

Anyone remember back to the game in 2022 Sark and Traylor having a long, not friendly conversation after the game at midfield? It wasn't a Harbaugh/Schwarz situation, but it didn't look pleasant. Did that ever get asked about by the media? 

I don’t recall it but despite the message board love affair with traylor he’s always struck me as an insecure dunce, perfect for an sfa Nichols level head guy as his ceiling.