Week 3, 2024: UTSA @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

22 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

For those in the know: With the directv ESPN situation, what are my options to see the game? I have the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle but not sure if that will allow me to watch it. Thanks in advance!

HULU live is where it's at. A little pricey though.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Honestly why are people still with DirectTV or DishNetwork in 2024? The only exceptions would be if you live in rural areas that don't have really good broadband service providers.

In my experience, because they’re old, watch almost exclusively linear tv, and like to be able to tune to channels with numbers they know rather than scroll a guide. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tex48 said:

I typically call my Ubers to the game to the Snarfs north of the stadium. I typically don’t get hit with the gameday surcharge and it’s typically the closest point I can get dropped off at anyway

Yeah that would be my default rec.

Or walking across IH35 to get picked up east of campus. 

9 hours ago, Tex48 said:

I typically call my Ubers to the game to the Snarfs north of the stadium. I typically don’t get hit with the gameday surcharge and it’s typically the closest point I can get dropped off at anyway

Thank you. Snarfs?

In my experience, because they’re old, watch almost exclusively linear tv, and like to be able to tune to channels with numbers they know rather than scroll a guide. 

Hey, get off my back. It’s comforting knowing espn is on 633 and the weather channel is 627 man.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, txduck87 said:

Hey, get off my back. It’s comforting knowing espn is on 633 and the weather channel is 627 man.

I’d much, much rather be able to tune to a number than scroll. It’s not even close. Even if I had to use an app as a remote. Not enough to go back to DirecTV, but, man, if I could use a remote app for YTTV to customize and use channel numbers, I’d be all over it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

The reprieve from the Blastfurnace last weekend was nice, but we’re back up to the upper 90s on Saturday. Gonna be a scorcher at kickoff. Be sure to drink plenty of Coors Light.

Gonna need something stronger than Coors Light, but with thirst quenching and hydrating properties, so I suggest water.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Brandywine said:

For those in the know: With the directv ESPN situation, what are my options to see the game? I have the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle but not sure if that will allow me to watch it. Thanks in advance!

Someone will be streaming it on YouTube if you don't want to switch providers and prefer to let crooked corporations duke it out. I was at a sports bar last Sat and people wanted to watch Alabama. They couldn't get it because they have direct TV. I asked for the TV remote and opened the YouTube App(not Youtube TV) and searched college football, popped up and played it. Watched the whole game with no issues.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, VinyVango said:

Are there any players for the Roadrunners who could compete for a starting job or get 25+ snaps a game with the Horns?

He wouldn't this year for Texas, but their #1 WR Devin McCuin is good. Was a stud in HS coming out of east Texas and caught 42 passes for over 500 yards as a freshman last year. Really, really fast. Maybe he'll portal up after this season.

• Hook 'Em 2

Texas dismantled a “vaunted” Michigan defense. Meanwhile Texas freaking St punched UTSA in the dick, who has NO running game, and held their starting QB to 100 yards passing. 

And we are favored by 35 points (implying a 45-10 score). What the fuck am I missing?

Edited by Bert Orange

6 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

Texas dismantled a “vaunted” Michigan defense. Meanwhile Texas freaking St punched UTSA in the dick, who has NO running game, and held their starting QB to 100 yards passing. 

And we are favored by 35 points (implying a 45-10 score). What the fuck am I missing?

Letdown game, more backup playing time, and Sarkisian’s lack of desire to run up the score, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 5

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

This. I don't know why anyone uses anything else for traditional TV.

I use YouTube TV, but since it's almost entirely for sports, Fubo is something I'll always consider.

YouTube's 4k option is expensive and shit, but the unlimited DVR and ability to watch 4 channels at a time on Mobile (and even more on my PC... as many windows as I can fit on both screens) are fantastic.

Seriously: YTTV's DVR is as big of a quality of life improvement over regular DVR as regular DVR is over DVR-less. You just click "record all football games" and bam.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

Vegas doesn't do the transitive property. We lost to OSU in 2022, and the next week, OSU lost to Kansas State 48-0; then we were somehow favored against K-State the following week, so surely that line was off, right?? 

We covered. Vegas usually knows what they are doing.

-35 is pretty much right where the Colorado State line closed, and I would guess that UTSA is rated higher than CSU in most places, so the fact the lines are identical shows Vegas, at the very least, has upgraded Texas several notches the first two weeks of the season.

Edited by Hookem2147

6 hours ago, Brandywine said:

Cant speak for DTV but on Uverse on my screen where espn is supposed to be, there is a barcode to scan.  From there you have 2 options, FUBO or Sling.  They are giving $30 -$40 "credit" on the bill to offset the charge for either one of those subs until the rich men from Richmond bet richer.

• Hook 'Em 1

Team notes from IT

Spoiler

There’s plenty to get to this morning so let’s cut to the chase.

This team seems very business-like. Where does that come from:

Everyone is so hungry and wanted to make a statement. Everybody on the team. Coaches are hungry, Quinn Ewers is super hungry, you can see it in his emotions. He only got like that versus Bama. They want to prove themselves right, prove others wrong, and make up for coming up short last year.

A lot of guys are on the cusp of getting drafted. It’s a money year for them: Barryn Sorrell, Vernon Broughton, David Gbenda. They saw last year if your team wins people get drafted.

The amount of white hats around the ball really makes a difference. Everybody was getting after it. Both sides of the ball were challenged by how tough Michigan was and wanted to show they’re just as tough.

What was it like in the program after the win?

Excitement, dancing, having fun, but it was a lot different than Bama. Last year they acted like they won the national championship after the game, this time they knew they were going to win, they expected it. 

Yesterday I wrote the DB’s are balling and might be the best position group. What are contributing factors to improvement? 

Leadership between Jahdae Barron and Michael Taaffe. Taaffe drives the boat and gets everyone in line but they gravitate to Jahdae. Taaffe is like the coach, Jahdae is the one creating handshakes. He’ll celebrate with you. There wasn’t really a clear leader last year despite having some respected guys.

The personnel are simply improved and experienced. It’s Year 4 in the program for the coaches and a couple players. The playbook has slowed down, it’s not their first year. Malik Muhammad was always a smart guy but now it’s Year 2 in the system. Derek Williams, Year 2. Jahdae, Year 4. Taaffe, Year 4. 

Johnny Nansen has helped a lot on run fits, marrying run fits and pass fits. They’re not running two separate defenses. 

Which players are grading the best through two weeks?

Quinn Ewers, Gunnar Helm, Matthew Golden, Vernon Broughton, Jahdae Barron, Jaylon Guilbeau. 

What has been Ewers’ biggest improvement?

It’s what many have noticed, his pocket presence and confidence. He threw a no-look pass in Week 1! Everyone has known he can put the ball anywhere on the field since he was a freshman in high school but now he’s doing it in college because of how he operates in the pocket.

How was practice this week? 

They had some slow starts but people are still locked in. The defense was probably better. Sark got upset a few times. Offense could have been better but I still expect a big game from them against UTSA.  

Any potential breakout players in the next three games?

Trey Moore is going against guys he knows well this week. You never know, there are so many options. DeAndre Moore is playing Jordan Whittington‘s position and that doesn’t get the ball as much as the other receives but he’s due. 

In a video earlier in the week it was noticed there was a picture of Freddie Steinmark on the door as the players entered the tunnel.

Freddie Steinmark is on the wall in the tunnel at home. They put their horns up on the poster in DKR just to remember what he did, what he stood for, and how he passed away. Keeping his memory alive and they never want to switch up any routines they don’t have to. 

• Hook 'Em 9

I can't get excited for the next two weeks, no matter how hard I try. I am very ho-hum and even considering staying the fuck home, which is wild for me. I am 4 hours away and have missed less than 5 home games since around 2012. Maybe things change once the work week is wrapped up and beers flow. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, brojangles2 said:

I can't get excited for the next two weeks, no matter how hard I try. I am very ho-hum and even considering staying the fuck home, which is wild for me. I am 4 hours away and have missed less than 5 home games since around 2012. Maybe things change once the work week is wrapped up and beers flow. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, brojangles2 said:

This is the best Texas team since 2009. They have a very real chance at winning a national title. They’re fast, hit hard, disciplined and play for each other. 

If that doesn’t excite you, check your heart to see if it’s still beating. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, brojangles2 said:

Dude.  I went to every home game in 2005.  We won the title and it felt amazing to have been with the team at every one of them.  It's a body of work at the end of the season that you contributed to as a fan.  You will regret it if you don't go.

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, brojangles2 said:

Sure, why keep going when things are finally rounding into shape, right?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, texifornia said:

You've missed 4 home games since 2012 and THIS is the season you're like "eh, can't be bothered"?

I can't do much about the time frame, amigo. I walked the stage in 2009 and this is simply what I've been dealt. I understand the sentiment though and understand the joke. If I wanted to watch ULM and UTSA I could just go to a Lamar game 10 mins from my driveway. Its a chore, as many many others have been. 

7 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

This is the best Texas team since 2009. They have a very real chance at winning a national title. They’re fast, hit hard, disciplined and play for each other. 

If that doesn’t excite you, check your heart to see if it’s still beating. 

They still do every one of those things on a TV broadcast while I sit on my ass waiting for conf play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

You're not helping your position. 

Look, four hours away is a factor.  I get it if you don't want to make the trip to see the Horns live.  But to say you "can't get excited for the next two weeks" and "you're very ho-hum"?  What the fuck, dude?  

In the 2005 season I was pumped for every game, including UL-Laf and Rice.  

In 2009, same, and wasn't in any way "ho-hum" for games like ULM and UTEP.

Last year after we beat Alabama and looked to have a special team that might make a run, I was all in for Wyoming.

We're not expecting you to be glued to your TV every minute for the next two games, right up until the clock expires in the fourth quarter.  But can you at least bring some medium-sized dick energy to the table?  It's the mother-fucking Longhorns coming off a mother-fucking playoff appearance looking to make the mother-fucking playoffs again with a legit mother-fucking Heisman candidate!

Cool. I attended Wyoming and Washington. Been there plenty. I just don't give a fuck about these streaks or blue ribbons of fandom anymore. Its a chore and there's plenty to be excited about come 9/28. Ultimately, there is no consequence either way, internet stranger.