freshman edge Colin Simmons off to a great start

Derka

He jumps off the screen with the most natural bend I've seen out of a pass rusher at Texas since I don't know when. Really looking forward to watching him get more run as they bring him along. He is going to be impossible to keep off the field and I can't wait for him to tee off on that Oklahoma OL.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

And Simmons wasn't playing McNeese.

Yea, but Michigan lost a lot of players from last year so they're not the same team so beating them in the Big House while they're still ranked isn't as big a deal as playing a fired up McNeese State so advantage Aggie. HOWDY!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

My brother and dad ran into him at Target over the summer and said his physique in person for an 18 year old is just stunning.

So much to unpack. 
Target? Was your brother trying to find art work for his she shed, and  needed one of your Dad’s opinions?

Hoping Collin Simmons only ran in to target to get popcorn or take a dump. 

Does Collin need to get an RO and watch his cornhole now?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Another number 11 having success. Damn 11 has been good to us over the years no matter who's wearing it.

It's almost like we know what we are doing when we hand that number out or something.. 

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

My brother and dad ran into him at Target over the summer and said his physique in person for an 18 year old is just stunning.

That’s cool your dad is supportive of your brother’s lifestyle. Or vice versa maybe.

Simmons is an animal and hopefully he can continue developing instead of hitting a ceiling like some of our other impressive freshmen. I feel like those days are gone though.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

That’s cool your dad is supportive of your brother’s lifestyle. Or vice versa maybe.

Simmons is an animal and hopefully he can continue developing instead of hitting a ceiling like some of our other impressive freshmen. I feel like those days are gone though.

Stop being regarded

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

WTF is the problem with Target?

All I am saying is I gave up facebook wedding dress sellers for the $1 section at target up front.  Get a coffee and it's like speed dating. 

Edit: oh yeah - that boy is good <insertgif>

Edited by Doc Holliday

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Agreed. It definitely sounded like dad and brother were perving hard on him. 

• Haha 2

Alex Dunlap had a great writeup on Simmons in his defensive deep dig this week: "Simmons went on to have one of the most absurd games we can remember... In his second game as a true freshman (on limited snaps), just look at the company Colin Simmons keeps."

Spoiler

- It was only a slight indicator at first, but it seemed early on like Colin Simmons had overtaken Justice Finkley for the direct backup job behind Trey Moore in base downs. Simmons had come into both games this season ahead of Finkley, but only on sub-package passing downs. In the second series of the Michigan game, Simmons came in for more in a base set rather than Finkley.

From there, Simmons went on to have one of the most absurd games we can remember. It might not have been truly obvious (especially to those of us who might have gone into the second half a little tipsy -- especially for that early in the day) but Simmons had 5 (five!) pressures and a separate sack against the defending national champions. We'll look back on the game Simmons had in Week 2 at Michigan in much the same way we look back at Anthony Hill's freshman year Week 2 at Alabama. Games where the top-of-the-class defensive recruits for Texas truly introduced themselves en route to much, much more playing time.

Combined Sack + QB Hit + QB Pressure Leaders (Single Game) since 2015

2022 Barryn Sorrell vs. Texas Tech - 7 (1 hit, 6 pressures)
2016 Malcolm Roach vs. Oklahoma State - 7 (3 hits, 4 pressures)
2020 Joseph Ossai vs. Oklahoma State - 7 (3 sacks, 2 hits, 2 pressures)
2024 Colin Simmons vs. Michigan - 6 (1 sack, 5 pressures)
2022 Keondre Coburn vs. Kansas State - 6 (1 sack, 1 hit, 4 pressures)
2020 Joseph Ossai vs. TCU - 6 (1 sack, 2 hits, 3 pressures)
2017 Malik Jefferson vs. Iowa State - 6 (1 sack, 1 hit, 4 pressures)
2015 Malik Jefferson vs. Rice - 6 (2 hits, 4 pressures)
2023 Barryn Sorrell vs. BYU - 5 (1 sack, 2 hits, 2 pressures)
2023 T'Vondre Sweat vs. Kansas State - 5 (1 hit, 4 pressures)
2023 Byron Murphy vs. Kansas State - 5 (1 hit, 4 pressures)
2021 Ovie Oghuofo vs. Baylor - 5 (1 hit, 4 pressures)
2020 Joseph Ossai vs. Texas Tech - 5 (2 hits, 3 pressures)
2019 Joseph Ossai vs. Oklahoma - 5 (3 hits, 2 pressures)
2018 Charles Omenihu vs. Baylor - 5 (1 sack, 3 hits, 1 pressure)
2018 Gary Johnson vs. Iowa State - 5 (1 sack, 3 hits, 1 pressure)
2016 Breckyn Hager vs. Iowa State - 5 (1 sack, 2 hits, 2 pressures)
2016 Malik Jefferson vs. Texas Tech - 5 (3 sacks, 2 pressures)
2015 Hassan Ridgeway vs. Kansas State - 5 (3 hits, 2 pressures)

In his second game as a true freshman (on limited snaps), just look at the company Colin Simmons keeps.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 hours ago, gmr548 said:

He jumps off the screen with the most natural bend I've seen out of a pass rusher at Texas since I don't know when. Really looking forward to watching him get more run as they bring him along. He is going to be impossible to keep off the field and I can't wait for him to tee off on that Oklahoma OL.

Yeah, the list of guys with his size, explosiveness and natural ability to turn the corner is extremely small and pretty much every guy on that list was an All-American and high first round pick. 

4 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

Agreed. It definitely sounded like dad and brother were perving hard on him. 

I thought it was a very straightforward anecdote. Glad so many people are getting a kick. Maybe I didn't phrase it exactly right. 

I knew they also wanted to go to bed bath and beyond but I'm not sure if they made it. I'm not sure they had time. 

• Like 1