2024 Heisman Trophy Race

satyanash

It's early, but Quinn Ewers is starting to generate serious Heisman trophy buzz. Any thoughts/predictions?

test.thumb.jpeg.d644a64af43927abd5478128fe6bdb76.jpeg

(Thomas Goldkamp) Heisman Trophy Watch: On3 expert analysis after Week 2

Another weekend of college football in the books and like Week 1 there were plenty of standout performances worthy of Heisman Trophy mention. As we continue through the season, our experts at On3 will continue to evaluate and discuss which players deserve mention for college football’s most prestigious award. There are dozens right now, this early in the season. Let’s take a look at the top selections from our On3 national experts, with their top five in the Heisman Trophy running listed below.

1. Texas QB Quinn Ewers
  2. Miami QB Cam Ward
  3. Boise State RB Ashton Jeanty
  4. Ole Miss QB Jaxson Dart
  5. Alabama QB Jalen Milroe

Quinn Ewers

• Ewers played like a grown man against a defense stocked with elite talent. He looked like an evolved version of what we saw last year. -- Andy Staples
  • Anyone who watched Texas’ blowout of Michigan saw a new, more-advanced version of Ewers. If Texas takes the SEC by storm and he plays like he did against the Wolverines, he’ll be in New York. -- Ari Wasserman
  • I’m sure it’s happened on EA Sports College Football 25, but how many real quarterbacks have won at Alabama and Michigan in back-to-back years? Development isn’t always linear, but Ewers is living up to his hype as one of the highest-rated prospects ever. -- Jesse Simonton
  • Ewers played perhaps the best game of his career on Saturday, showing outstanding poise in carving up the defending national champions on the road. -- Charles Power
  • In a huge spot, showed total poise/control of Sark’s offense against a Michigan defense that will have multiple NFL Draft picks. Looked like a Heisman Trophy quarterback in an early Heisman moment spot. -- J.D. Pickell

Cam Ward

• The challenge wasn’t as great this week, but Ward was ruthlessly efficient against Florida A&M and remains in the thick of the Heisman Trophy race. -- Andy Staples
  • A newcomer to Miami who has a chance to be the reason the Hurricanes turn it around? Tell me a better Heisman Trophy story. -- Ari Wasserman
  • In two games with the Canes, Ward is already in the conversation as one of the best Miami QBs this century. He’s on pace for a historic season in Coral Gables. -- Jesse Simonton
  • Ward remains in the top three after an easy win over Florida A&M. Tougher tests remain as Ward and Miami look to make a push for the ACC title. -- Charles Power
  • Put on a show vs. Florida and did nothing this week to make me think he’s not a Heisman contender with 304 yards and three touchdowns in a win over Florida A&M. -- J.D. Pickell

Ashton Jeanty

• Jeanty has been simply unstoppable so far. Against Oregon, he carried 25 times for 192 yards and three TDs. He has NINE rushing TDs in two games. -- Andy Staples
  • Jeanty has nine(!!!) touchdowns the first two weeks of the season. He single-handedly beat Georgia Southern and put the Broncos on his back again Saturday in a near-upset at Oregon. -- Jesse Simonton
  • Jeanty looks like the clear top running back and perhaps skill player in college football through two weeks. He leads the nation in rushing and put a legitimate scare into a top 10 Oregon team with his elite contact balance and versatile playmaking. -- Charles Power

Jaxson Dart

• This is a quarterback that’s going to fill up box scores. And he plays for a team that is probably going to win a lot of games in the SEC. If Ole Miss is alive for the CFP in November, he’ll have a great shot. -- Ari Wasserman

Jalen Milroe

• Not the cleanest game for ‘Bama as a team vs. USF but still orchestrated the offense and accounted for four total touchdowns. -- J.D. Pickell

(Scott Rogust) Heisman Trophy Rankings, Week 2: Ewers beats down Michigan, Jeanty dominates Oregon

The second week of the college football season had everything fans could have hoped for. From the Texas Longhorns blowing out the defending CFP National champion Michigan Wolverines to the Northern Illinois Huskies pulling off a stunning upset over the No. 5 Notre Dame Fighting irish, Week 2 had it all. Even though it's the second week of the season, that doesn't mean we can't start looking towards the end-of-year awards. The most prestigious is undoubtedly the Heisman Trophy, which honors the best player in college football. Let's take a look at how we rank the contenders for the award after the second week of the 2024 season.

Quinn Ewers
QB | Texas

There's just something about Quinn Ewers and huge Week 2 games. Last year, Ewers' had a huge performance against the Alabama Crimson Tide. This year, Ewers and the Longhorns faced the No. 10 Michigan Wolverines in Ann Arbor. Texas took a commanding 24-3 lead behind two touchdown passes from Ewers, including one to Matthew Golden with 10 seconds remaining in the first half. The game wasn't even close, with Michigan's offense sputtering out of control with Davis Warren under center.

With that, Ewers and the Longhorns picked up the 31-12 victory. Ewers completed 24-of-36 pass attempts for 246 yards and three touchdowns. Leading Texas to a blowout victory over the 10th ranked team in the nation, in "The Big House?" That's a Heisman caliber performance and win for Ewers, and he earns the No. 1 spot in the rankings.

Cam Ward
QB | Miami

If there is one quarterback that is making a name for himself early on this season, it's Cam Ward of the Miami Hurricanes. After spending the previous two seasons at Washington State, Ward transferred over to Miami, a team that was ranked heading into the 2024 season and held expectations to win the ACC. In Week 1, Ward threw for 385 yards and three touchdowns in a dominant 41-17 win over the in-state rival Florida Gators.

This weekend, Miami faced off against the Florida A&M Rattlers in a winnable game on paper. Let's just say Miami didn't get into upset alert like Alabama, Penn State, and Notre Dame on Saturday. Instead, the Hurricanes picked up a 56-9 win. Ward was pulled from the game in the third quarter after taking a 46-9 lead after he scored a touchdown on an eight-yard run.

Ward's day ended with 304 passing yards and three passing touchdowns while completing 20-of-26 throws. Through two games, Ward has proven to be a top contender for the Heisman based on his numbers alone.

Dillon Gabriel
QB | Oregon

The Oregon Ducks were among the favorites to win the CFP National Championship this year. One of the reasons was the team bringing in transfer quarterback Dillon Gabriel from Oklahoma. Gabriel in a quarterback-friendly offense? Look at the wonders it did for Bo Nix the previous two years. But Oregon hasn't had it easy to start the 2024 season. Last week, Gabriel completed 41-of-49 throws for 380 yards and two touchdowns against Idaho.

But, Oregon would only win by the score of 24-14. This week, they faced off against Boise State. Oregon was on upset alert throughout the entirety of the game. With Oregon up 27-20 in the second half, they fumbled the football on back-to-back possessions. One of those was by Gabriel, who took a hard hit after the center snapped the football early. Gabriel's fumble resulted in Boise State taking a 34-27 lead.

However, Gabriel helped lead Oregon 61 yards downfield to set up the game-winning field goal. Gabriel recorded 18 completions for 243 yards and two touchowns on 21 attempts. Gabriel also picked up a rushing touchdown in the win. While Gabriel has been good to start the year, both of his victories this season were too close for comfort.

Carson Beck
QB | Georgia

The Georgia Bulldogs had the best start of the ssaon they could have imagined. At Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta, the Bulldogs destroyed the Clemson Tigers 34-3. Beck was named the Co-Offensive Player of the Week by the SEC for his 278 passing yards and two passing touchdowns against Clemson. This week, Georgia didn't face much of a challenge, as they took on the Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles. Georgia picked up a 48-3 victory.

Beck completed 18-of-25 pass attempts for 242 yards and five touchdowns, all in a little over two quarters. Beck was pulled from the game early in the third quarter with the Bulldogs up 31-0. While it was an incredible game for Beck, beating Tennessee Tech doesn't necessarily move the needle.

Jalen Milroe
QB | Alabama

It was yet another year in which Alabama was put on upset alert against the South Florida Bulls. The thing is, Jalen Milroe didn't start that game. Certainly, the Crimson Tide would cruise to victory this year, right? Well, Alabama and South Florida were neck and neck for the majority of the game. But it was Milroe who played hero in the fourth quarter.  Only up 14-12, Milroe threw a 16-yard touchdown to Kobe Prentice and a 43-yard score to Ryan Williams. Alabama picked up the 42-16 victory.

Milroe completed 15-of-25 pass attempts for 184 yards and two touchdowns, while running for a pair of touchdowns on 12 carries. This wasn't the ideal game for Alabama, but they got the job done, thanks in part to Milroe.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, mr. sunshine said:

It's  Quinn and everybody else is a distant second.

But feel  free to fuck off media. Gotta have the drama

1 hour ago, WBT said:

A RB from Boise St isn't winning the Heisman in 2024

Probably not. Quinn played fantastic yesterday and if he is at that level all year the Texas factor and just being a QB probably gets him the nod.

But that Boise back is an absolute monster. Someone is going to draft him in like the third-fourth round and hit the jackpot.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

He’s still correct. 

It's unlikely but they could win 10 games and their conference and if he does something crazy like 2600/30 TDs it's possible.

You'd need guys like Ewers and Beck to either not play well or miss a few games. 

Lamar won on a 9-4 Louisville team not that long ago. 

12 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Those are Sanders/McCaffrey numbers. At Boise. 

And Sanders won the Heisman and CMac finished 2nd...

They probably needed to beat Orgeon for him to have a shot but there are weird Heisman years all the time. And now that teams like BSU could theoretically make the CFP it's honestly less far-fetched.

Dude's averaging 10 yards a fucking carry through 2 games. 

It'd be great if Ewers wins--always good to have an extra trophy to show recruits. But man, Texas should already have two more.

I will not be surprised at all if they decide to make a statement by giving it to the juco RB this year.

In sum: Fuck, fuck, fuck the Heisman. 

5 hours ago, WBT said:

A RB from Boise St isn't winning the Heisman in 2024

If it isn't Quinn, I'm pulling hard for Jeanty. That dude is the absolute truth. And to see a Boise dude hoist the trophy would be a good sign that anyone with eyes can see domination that would translate to a P4 conference with ease. 

Anyway, I'm pulling for Quinn and Ashton. 

Obviously it's favoring the good QB from the best teams, so finalists are going to be Ewers, Beck, and so far Dart and Ward. I don't think 1 of those last 2 will make it through.

Jeremiah Smith will probably get strong consideration as a wild card true freshman.

Noah Fifita had a stinker last game but he'll probably come back into the convo.

12 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Obviously it's favoring the good QB from the best teams, so finalists are going to be Ewers, Beck, and so far Dart and Ward. I don't think 1 of those last 2 will make it through.

Jeremiah Smith will probably get strong consideration as a wild card true freshman.

Noah Fifita had a stinker last game but he'll probably come back into the convo.

The kid at Tennessee will for sure get his name in the hat.

They look good, too. Kicked the shit out of NC St.

I'm not sure why I lost interest in the Heisman Trophy years ago. I'd like a Texas player to win it, but I have little emotional investment as I did when Earl and Ricky won theirs. It was absurd not to award it to Vince who remains one of the probably top 5 valuable players of all time if not the actual most valuable. He's the only player I've ever seen that I would choose before Earl Campbell in forming a team.

Maybe it's too stats driven or exclusive to QBs now. Anyway, I can't make myself give much of a shit. I didn't know the LSU guy won last year until this past August.

This is more of a muse than an annoucement that I'm way cooler than those interested. I honestly can't trace my way back to the point when I ceased to care much. Maybe it's hype about it. It's like a feature to fill a spot on sportscasts for lazy sports "journalists" too dull or indolent to find something interesting.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm not sure why I lost interest in the Heisman Trophy years ago. I'd like a Texas player to win it, but I have little emotional investment as I did when Earl and Ricky won theirs. It was absurd not to award it to Vince who remains one of the probably top 5 valuable players of all time if not the actual most valuable. He's the only player I've ever seen that I would choose before Earl Campbell in forming a team.

Maybe it's too stats driven or exclusive to QBs now. Anyway, I can't make myself give much of a shit. I didn't know the LSU guy won last year until this past August.

This is more of a muse than an annoucement that I'm way cooler than those interested. I honestly can't trace my way back to the point when I ceased to care much. Maybe it's hype about it. It's like a feature to fill a spot on sportscasts for lazy sports "journalists" too dull or indolent to find something interesting.

It is close to an Espy award for me. Cook but don't really care. Would rather see Quinn with the National Championship and kick ass in the NFL without a Heisman.

GXCpAZdWQAALEHM?format=jpg&name=large

(Thomas Goldkamp) On3 Heisman Trophy Poll: Top 10 player rankings after Week 2

The 2024 Heisman Trophy race is well underway and there have been some downright dominant performances already to help set the front of the field. On3’s national experts have been closely monitoring some of the biggest outings of the season and have started to look for consistency from week to week. Today, they compile their poll of the top 10 candidates.

Each of the five national experts submitted a ballot with his top 10 players on it, and we’ve compiled the results to create a complete ranking using points — 10 points for a first-place vote, nine for second, etc. Let’s get into how the rankings unfolded below.

1. QB Quinn Ewers, Texas – 48 points

Ewers had a solid debut with a three-touchdown performance against Colorado State in the opener, then one-upped it. He was phenomenal in a big win over a ranked Michigan team, securing Texas a huge win for the resume. The junior quarterback finished 24-of-36 passing for 246 yards and three touchdowns. He made the throws he needed to and helped Texas play with the lead throughout the afternoon. As far as productive guys on contenders go, Ewers has to be way, way up there.

2. QB Cam Ward, Miami – 43

Miami is another team that is starting to look like a contender after a win over Florida on the road and a tune-up against Florida A&M. How Ward is playing is a big part of many starting to view the ‘Canes as a potential playoff team. Ward has been fantastic in operating the offense, getting the ‘Canes into all the right spots. He went for 304 yards passing and three touchdowns this week while also adding a rushing touchdown.

3. RB Ashton Jeanty, Boise State – 32

Boise State pushed Oregon to the brink, in large part because Jeanty is just downright unstoppable. He is now averaging more than 200 yards per game on the ground. Against the Ducks, Jeanty went for 192 yards and three rushing touchdowns on 25 carries. He’s averaging 10.2 yards per carry this season and has already scored a whopping nine touchdowns, certainly Heisman Trophy type number.

4. QB Jaxson Dart, Ole Miss – 30

If you’re looking for a guy who’s going to consistently put up big numbers you could do a lot worse than Dart. His ability to rack up big figures in the Ole Miss offense is evident; he’s going to be a stat-stuffer. The real question might be whether Dart can guide the Rebels toward a College Football Playoff berth. So far, so good, with a 2-0 record. Dart has already thrown for 795 yards and six touchdowns, while rushing for two more.

5. QB Nico Iamaleava, Tennessee – 25

Iamaleava has the name recognition already as a former five-star-plus recruit. Now it’s just a matter of continuing to establish himself as a first-year starter in the electric Tennessee offense. It wasn’t a perfect night for Iamaleava against a ranked NC State squad; he threw two interceptions. Still, he also threw for two touchdowns and 211 yards, while rushing for 65 yards and another score. He helped the team to a 51-10 win in a key non-conference matchup. That’s Heisman Trophy type stuff.

6. WR/CB Travis Hunter, Colorado – 23

It was a rough night for Colorado as Nebraska dominated, but that didn’t stop Hunter from showing what he can do. To some degree, we already know exactly what he can do. He’s the best two-way player in the country and continues to serve in that capacity for the Buffaloes. Against the Cornhuskers, Hunter had 10 catches for 110 yards on offense, while he tallied three tackles, a tackle for a loss and a pass breakup on defense. Hunter’s ability alone will keep him in the conversation, but he might need to post insane numbers if Colorado isn’t much of a contender this fall.

7. QB Carson Beck, Georgia – 22

The starting quarterback for Georgia was awesome early on against Tennessee Tech, completing his first 11 passes before a misfire. He was able to push the ball down the field and stress the defense at every turn. Beck has now thrown for 520 yards and seven touchdowns without throwing an interception. He hasn’t been a big runner but has shown the willingness to run when needed. Most importantly, he just seems completely in command of the offense for one of the nation’s most talented teams.

8. QB Miller Moss, USC – 14

Moss hasn’t put up massive numbers yet, but he’s done exactly what he’s needed to do to put USC in position to win games. And the Trojans have done just that, against decent competition. In two weeks, Moss has thrown for 607 yards and two touchdowns. He has taken only two sacks. Better, though? USC looks like a legitimate contender again with an improved defense, which should afford Moss the stage to place himself in the Heisman Trophy conversation.

9. QB Jalen Milroe, Alabama – 13

USF just seems to give Alabama problems and Milroe and company had it rough in the early going in a tighter-than-expected contest. Milroe took three sacks, showing the issues the Crimson Tide had. Still, Milroe went 16-of-26 passing for 194 yards and two touchdowns. He hasn’t thrown an interception this year. He’s also run for four touchdowns. The numbers are starting to build.

10. WR Tetairoa McMillan, Arizona – 12

After one of the most dominant season openers in a long, long time, McMillan had a much quieter Week 2. He recorded only two catches for 11 yards in a bit of a slog against Northern Arizona, a 22-10 win. It’s always tough for receivers to get into the Heisman Trophy mix, but Marvin Harrison Jr. proved last year that it can be done. If anyone’s going to do it this year, McMillan is as good a bet as any. He won’t have many weekends as quiet as this one.

(Pamela Maldonado) Early 2024 Heisman Trophy bets: Quinn Ewers the favorite

We're only a couple weeks into the season, but it's never too early to track the race for the Heisman Trophy and to look at which programs have what it takes to win the National Championship. Here's a look at the colleges and players shining the brightest after Week 2 and their intriguing current odds to claim college football's most prestigious honors.

Quinn Ewers, QB, Texas Longhorns (+550)

Ewers has emerged as the betting favorite after a strong start to the season, marking the first time he's been the outright favorite since odds were posted in February. As the quarterback of a talented Longhorns team that's a legitimate national championship contender, Ewers benefits from the spotlight on Texas. In a high-profile matchup against No. 10 Michigan at the Big House in Ann Arbor, Ewers delivered a standout performance, completing 24 of 36 passes (66.7%) for 246 yards and 3 touchdowns with no turnovers.

This showing in a big game against a ranked opponent on the road significantly boosts his Heisman credentials. He'll have additional chances at signature wins when Texas faces Oklahoma and Georgia in back-to-back weeks, as well as Texas A&M to close the season.

Nico Iamaleava, QB, Tennessee Volunteers (+1000)

Iamaleava is a highly touted quarterback with exceptional physical tools. In his first start against Chattanooga, he set a program record for most passing yards in a half (314), helping put him in the Heisman conversation. As a dual-threat quarterback, Iamaleava brings effectiveness both through the air and on the ground. If he continues to improve and put up strong numbers against SEC competition, his Heisman case will only grow stronger.

Ashton Jeanty, RB, Boise State Broncos (+3500)

Further down the betting board, Jeanty burst onto the national scene with a remarkable start to the season. In Week 1 against Georgia Southern, the 5-foot-9 junior put up staggering numbers: 267 rushing yards on 20 carries, six rushing touchdowns (setting both a school and Mountain West Conference record), and an impressive 13.4 yards per carry average. He followed this up in Week 2 against No. 7 Oregon with another stellar performance, rushing for 192 yards on 25 carries and scoring three touchdowns.

Jeanty's accumulated 459 rushing yards and nine touchdowns put him on pace for potentially record-breaking season totals. His performances have garnered national recognition, with Robert Griffin III naming Jeanty his No. 1 Heisman Trophy front-runner after Week 1. He faces significant challenges as a Group of 5 player, however, as the last G5 Heisman winner was in 1963 (Roger Staubach, Navy).

On 9/8/2024 at 10:48 PM, Deej said:

We are going to destroy teams to such a degree that Ewers wins the Heisman and Arch comes in second place.

Only if Irish Wrist Watch suddenly becomes head coach. 

Unfortunately Quinn's Heisman chances took a hit after last night's injury

2024 Heisman Trophy odds: Arch Manning makes huge jump

Week 3 of the 2024 college football season is nearly in the books, and the Heisman odds are on the move. And now there's a surprise name that's seen a significant change in their odds following an impressive performance this weekend. Longhorns quarterback Quinn Ewers sustained an injury in the second quarter against UTSA, giving way for Arch Manning, the former number one overall recruit in the class of 2023. The redshirt freshman finished with 223 pass yards, four touchdown passes, and 53 rush yards along with a rushing score as well. Let's dive into the latest odds at DraftKings Sportsbook as of Sept. 14.

2024 HEISMAN TROPHY ODDS:

Cam Ward, Miami (Fla.): +550 (bet $10 to win $65 total)
Jaxson Dart, Ole Miss: +700 (bet $10 to win $80 total)
Jalen Milroe, Alabama: +700 (bet $10 to win $80 total)
Nico Iamaleava, Tennessee: +850 (bet $10 to win $95 total)
Dillon Gabriel, Oregon: +900 (bet $10 to win $100 total)
Carson Beck, Georgia: +1200 (bet $10 to win $130 total)
Arch Manning, Texas: +1600 (bet $10 to win $170 total)
Miller Moss, USC: +2000 (bet $10 to win $210 total)
Will Howard, Ohio State: +2000 (bet $10 to win $210 total)
Ashton Jeanty, Boise State: +2000 (bet $10 to win $210 total)
Travis Hunter, Colorado: +3500 (bet $10 to win $360 total)
Riley Leonard, Notre Dame: +4000 (bet $10 to win 410 total)
Drew Allar, Penn State: +4000 (bet $10 to win $410 total)
Avery Johnson, Kansas State: +4000 (bet $10 to win $410 total)
Jackson Arnold, Oklahoma: +5000 (bet $10 to win $510 total)
Garrett Nussmeier, LSU: +5000 (bet $10 to win $510 total)
Brady Cook, Missouri: +6500 (bet $10 to win $660 total)

Manning was +15000 heading into the weekend and has skyrocketed all the way down to +1600. Ewers entered the week as the favorite to win the award at +500, but is now off the board for the time being. The new favorite is Hurricanes quarterback Cam Ward, who finished with 346 pass yards and five touchdown passes in a 62-0 thrashing against Ball State.

Second on the board is Dart at +700. The Ole Miss quarterback's odds shortened from +800. Against Wake Forest, he totaled 377 passing yards with two scores in the air and one on the ground. Rounding out the top three is Milroe, also at +700. Against Wisconsin, he had three passing touchdowns along with two on the ground, becoming the second quarterback since 2000 to record multiple passing and rushing touchdowns in each of the first three games of the season.