Road Trips Back From Michigan

immamac

I'm making the drive. Just me and the dog, dropped the family off at the airport this morning. Don't wanna drive more than 6-8 hours a day.

Here's my initial plan - anyone else driving back? Any suggestions along the way?

image.png

OG US Hofbrau Haus in Cincinnati, it's a good time. Plenty to do in Louisville + Nashville. Fill up with gas in Memphis, so you don't have to stop in Arkansas. The drive from Texarkana to Austin isn't terrible; that's where we stayed on the outbound and return journey on a road trip last year.

26 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm making the drive. Just me and the dog, dropped the family off at the airport this morning. Don't wanna drive more than 6-8 hours a day.

Here's my initial plan - anyone else driving back? Any suggestions along the way?

image.png

4 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

OG US Hofbrau Haus in Cincinnati, it's a good time. Plenty to do in Louisville + Nashville. Fill up with gas in Memphis, so you don't have to stop in Arkansas. The drive from Texarkana to Austin isn't terrible; that's where we stayed on the outbound and return journey on a road trip last year.

I was going to suggest that too if he stops in Cincy. Our team hotel this past weekend for our game at Cincy was the Marriott Rivercenter, technically in Covington. I took an Uber over to Hofbrau. If pushing to Louisville I haven’t been there for a while so I have no suggestions, other than, safe driving. 

Edited by PittsburghTiger

yeah apparently stopping in cinci and Louisville even for food is a waste of time. Maybe I just go to Nashville and hang out then get to fort worth. Have free places to stay in both of those cities, wasn't planning on the free stays was thinking there may be cool stuff, but it's legit lame af from what I've been able to research.

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

yeah apparently stopping in cinci and Louisville even for food is a waste of time. Maybe I just go to Nashville and hang out then get to fort worth. Have free places to stay in both of those cities, wasn't planning on the free stays was thinking there may be cool stuff, but it's legit lame af from what I've been able to research.

Don't be a cranky old man. There's plenty of excellent food in both cities. Both cities also have nice hotels, and fun things to do in the evening. No one is saying that you should adjust your travel times so you can explore Cincy. But if your delicate "I only wanna drive 6-8 hours a day" ass ends up in Cincinnati, then the HB is fun. 

• Haha 1

There isn’t much of anything can’t miss along that drive but there are plenty of tourist traps. I’ve driven most of it many times and live pretty much right in the middle of it. KY, you can stop and hit parts of the bourbon trail near I-65 or just go visit liquor stores, go by Churchill Downs, or hit Mammoth Caves. TN, you have Nashville and Memphis. AR, they redid the waterfront in Little Rock so there are some decent bars. You always have the bath houses in Hot Springs if it’s your thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

There are lots of distilleries on the route once you get beyond Louisville. I generally just drive through to Nashville, but Louisville and Cinci are only 3 - 4 1/2 hours out for me.

Stop at Gus's fried chicken in Memphis...

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

How in the hell did you con your wife into flying with 2 kids presumably under 5 while you get a few days of open roads?

They flew to fargo and flew home from here. Why would anyone want to drive with 2 children under 5? The drive from MN to Detroit almost had me drive off the Mackinac bridge.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mole said:

As you come into Cincinnati, keep an eye on the left for the giant Jesus statue that looks like a butter sculpture. The locals lovingly call it “Big Butter Jesus.” The connected church is called Church of the Solid Rock. Their last giant Jesus statue was NOT solid rock but rather styrofoam and burned down when it was struck by lightning. After an act of God destroyed the giant statue, I guess they decided to try again in butter form.

After you try the original Skyline in Cincinnati, be sure to hit up the Kentucky Welcome Center on 71 for maps, coffee, and to deal with your diarrhea.

In Louisville, the Steak ‘n Shake on Hurstborne is always a good show. Enjoy it, because you’ll be waiting for about an hour for sloppy burgers and of course shakes. I’d follow that up with the Great American Cookie for desert at the Mall of St. Matthews — an easy drive from Steak ‘n Shake.

If you’re feeling adventurous, visit the University of Louisville and the surrounding neighborhoods. I can PM a map of where various friends and family were mugged or shot at.

Enjoy your trip!

image.gif.ace9cf7692c6f8fe4042a614c22b1ad7.gif

• Haha 7

7 minutes ago, markstanco said:

And now we all know where Imma lives.  Im heading to Uvalde for a dove hunt Friday morning, I may swing by your house and shit in your yard for fun. 

Big yard. Probably won't find it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, immamac said:

so the best thing to do in Cincinnati is go to a german chain. LOL this drive is gonna suck.

Just got back from cincy good cheap steak at Blinkers Tavern in  Covington, KY. You could the bourbon trail on the drive through KY. Angel’s Envy has a killer restaurant and tasting room in downtown Louisville.

3 hours ago, immamac said:

image.png

Man, don't stop till you get here.

czech%20stop_1515531352275.jpg_12333677_

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

Sarcastic replies aside, I will say this. The serendipity that can happen when you're driving through America and not on an insane schedule can be quite amazing. Every single city, small, medium, or large, has something cool in or near it. Every single one. If you're open to finding them, or letting them find you, you're gonna have a blast. 

Stop for lunch at a small town diner, and ask the waitress or hostess 'what's cool about this city?' (or something like that). Go to the main library and ask the same. Use the tried and true "fun things to do in XYZ" google search. 

One quick story. The family was on a roadtrip in the northeast last year. We had a day to kill driving between DC and NYC (eventually headed to Cape Cod). I did the google search thing, and found out that one of the Forts in Baltimore is a National Park. Now, National Parks are common, and Forts are common, but the overlapping of the two isn't necessarily common. So we set a course for Fort McHenry to kill the day. As my wife drove, I read more, and starting seeing a BUNCH of references to the Star Spangled Banner. When we got there we discovered that Fort McHenry is THAT Fort. Rockets red glare, bombs bursting in air, gave proof through the night, that our flag was still there? Yeah, the flag flew over THAT Fort. Maybe some of y'all knew that already, but we didn't. And it turned into one of the absolute highlights of all of our travels.  Quick edit to add - my US History learnings did not sufficiently educate me on how fucking close we were to losing our country during the War of 1812. Had the British succeeded at Baltimore / Fort McHenry, consensus (at least from the exhibits at the museum) was that they'd sail up the river to DC, which had just been attacked itself (or was just about to be), and likely take back the seat of our fledgling country. 

Just be open, man. This country has awesome shit all over the place.

Edited by capnamerca
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Load up on some good bourbon in Kentucky that you can't find on shelves in Texas.

When I was asking a good buddy of mine where to get BBQ in Memphis he said he's never found much in Memphis that works for him. He said BE Scott's whole hog BBQ outside of Lexington is where it's at in that part of the country. (Have no idea if this is somehow related to Rodney Scott and/or his family.)

Edited by C-Man

2 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

Sarcastic replies aside, I will say this. The serendipity that can happen when you're driving through America and not on an insane schedule can be quite amazing. Every single city, small, medium, or large, has something cool in or near it. Every single one. If you're open to finding them, or letting them find you, you're gonna have a blast. 

Stop for lunch at a small town diner, and ask the waitress or hostess 'what's cool about this city?' (or something like that). Go to the main library and ask the same. Use the tried and true "fun things to do in XYZ" google search. 

One quick story. The family was on a roadtrip in the northeast last year. We had a day to kill driving between DC and NYC (eventually headed to Cape Cod). I did the google search thing, and found out that one of the Forts in Baltimore is a National Park. Now, National Parks are common, and Forts are common, but the overlapping of the two isn't necessarily common. So we set a course for Fort McHenry to kill the day. As my wife drove, I read more, and starting seeing a BUNCH of references to the Star Spangled Banner. When we got there we discovered that Fort McHenry is THAT Fort. Rockets red glare, bombs bursting in air, gave proof through the night, that our flag was still there? Yeah, the flag flew over THAT Fort. Maybe some of y'all knew that already, but we didn't. And it turned into one of the absolute highlights of all of our travels. 

Yes - Fort McHenry is great and one of the highlights of the Baltimore area for tourists.  The video they show has a really cool ending that I won't spoil.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe switch the route at Cincy and go through Lexington/Frankfort/Bardstown for Bourbon distilleries.  Buffalo Trace and woodford reserve are close to each other.  I think Four roses is on that route also.

Lexington is a fun college town and the area is gorgeous.  If it was college basketball season, a game at Rupp is fun.

Hard to drive and Bourbon Trail. 

I think I'm gonna go straight to Nashville tonight. 

I have my pup JoJo with me who may have torn her right acl on the trip. Won't put weight on it and had tplo surgery on the left earlier this year. 

She's usually down for a great adventure but she's limping bad and I don't wanna push her. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

One quick story. The family was on a roadtrip in the northeast last year. We had a day to kill driving between DC and NYC (eventually headed to Cape Cod). I did the google search thing, and found out that one of the Forts in Baltimore is a National Park. Now, National Parks are common, and Forts are common, but the overlapping of the two isn't necessarily common. So we set a course for Fort McHenry to kill the day. As my wife drove, I read more, and starting seeing a BUNCH of references to the Star Spangled Banner. When we got there we discovered that Fort McHenry is THAT Fort. Rockets red glare, bombs bursting in air, gave proof through the night, that our flag was still there? Yeah, the flag flew over THAT Fort. Maybe some of y'all knew that already, but we didn't. And it turned into one of the absolute highlights of all of our travels.  Quick edit to add - my US History learnings did not sufficiently educate me on how fucking close we were to losing our country during the War of 1812. Had the British succeeded at Baltimore / Fort McHenry, consensus (at least from the exhibits at the museum) was that they'd sail up the river to DC, which had just been attacked itself (or was just about to be), and likely take back the seat of our fledgling country. 

Username and all.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, capnamerca said:

I made the drive to NY from Texas after we sold our house and the wife was in Germany training for her new job, took me near 2 weeks because I hit the spots I wanted to hit, Stillwater, Lawrence, Columbia, Mo. After a couple of days visiting with folks in Lexington spent a couple of days in Pittsburgh and hit up a Pirates game at PNC before eventually arriving in Albany.  Was a fun drive only regret was not having Jr with me as he’d like the college stops I made. 

2 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

If you’ve never had the ribs at Country Tavern, you should duck South at Texarkana to go through Kilgore.

Honest question: has it improved in the last 15 years?  Because the last time I went there, it was pretty average and also expensive for pork ribs.  If they've gotten things humming again, I'd be inclined to give it another try since it's only about a 30 minute drive for me. 

Edited by dcbc