Road Trips Back From Michigan

immamac

7 hours ago, immamac said:

Hard to drive and Bourbon Trail. 

I don't mean to really hit the distilleries. It's my understanding that in that part of the country all the local liquor stores are bursting with nearly-impossible bottles to get here in Texas -- and they're at actual retail prices. I've never done it so I can't say for sure but it's what I've been told by some others.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dcbc said:

Honest question: has it improved in the last 15 years?  Because the last time I went there, it was pretty average and also expensive for pork ribs.  If they've gotten things humming again, I'd be inclined to give it another try since it's only about a 30 minute drive for me. 

I take visitors and customers there all of the time.  They, nor I, leave there disappointed.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, capnamerca said:

Sarcastic replies aside, I will say this. The serendipity that can happen when you're driving through America and not on an insane schedule can be quite amazing. Every single city, small, medium, or large, has something cool in or near it. Every single one. If you're open to finding them, or letting them find you, you're gonna have a blast. 

Just be open, man. This country has awesome shit all over the place.

This right here.  I spend a lot of time flying domestically and internationally for business. So when I go on vacation I drive to my destination.  At times I could save a day or two but prefer the drive just to see what I see along the way.

10 hours ago, immamac said:

They flew to fargo and flew home from here. Why would anyone want to drive with 2 children under 5? The drive from MN to Detroit almost had me drive off the Mackinac bridge.

lol i drove to orlando and back with 2 under 5 3 years ago. 26 hrs 1 way, yea i dont recommend but at least youre in your own "controlled environment" with your spouse...being stuck with 2 kids under 5 and dealing with the airport would absolutely suck, while your husband is driving home with wind blowing in his air. 

13 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Gus's is a chain, no? I mean it's good and all but you could have gone to the one on Woodward before you left. I saw one in Mesa a couple of weeks ago. 

It's now a chain, but I think that was their second store.  It's is a Memphis institution.  Fun place.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

I take visitors and customers there all of the time.  They, nor I, leave there disappointed.

26 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Yeah I don’t know. I like it a lot.

Good to know.  I'll give it another go.

9 hours ago, capnamerca said:

Sarcastic replies aside, I will say this. The serendipity that can happen when you're driving through America and not on an insane schedule can be quite amazing. Every single city, small, medium, or large, has something cool in or near it. Every single one. If you're open to finding them, or letting them find you, you're gonna have a blast. 

Stop for lunch at a small town diner, and ask the waitress or hostess 'what's cool about this city?' (or something like that). Go to the main library and ask the same. Use the tried and true "fun things to do in XYZ" google search. 

One quick story. The family was on a roadtrip in the northeast last year. We had a day to kill driving between DC and NYC (eventually headed to Cape Cod). I did the google search thing, and found out that one of the Forts in Baltimore is a National Park. Now, National Parks are common, and Forts are common, but the overlapping of the two isn't necessarily common. So we set a course for Fort McHenry to kill the day. As my wife drove, I read more, and starting seeing a BUNCH of references to the Star Spangled Banner. When we got there we discovered that Fort McHenry is THAT Fort. Rockets red glare, bombs bursting in air, gave proof through the night, that our flag was still there? Yeah, the flag flew over THAT Fort. Maybe some of y'all knew that already, but we didn't. And it turned into one of the absolute highlights of all of our travels.  Quick edit to add - my US History learnings did not sufficiently educate me on how fucking close we were to losing our country during the War of 1812. Had the British succeeded at Baltimore / Fort McHenry, consensus (at least from the exhibits at the museum) was that they'd sail up the river to DC, which had just been attacked itself (or was just about to be), and likely take back the seat of our fledgling country. 

Just be open, man. This country has awesome shit all over the place.

username checks out

The original Gus’s fried chicken in Memphis on S Main and a side trip to national Civil rights Museum would be nice. The hotel where MLK Jr got shot was turned into the museum. 

Plus when you’re done you get to to go to the 9th wonder if the world- The Memphis Pyramid. Ok it’s a Bass Pro Shop.

Edited by StassneyHorn

I drove straight through Ohio, not stopping for anything or spending any money in that state. What a shithole. I stopped and got a skyline coney which was absolutely disgusting and 0/10 on the recommendation scale. I then went to white castle and shared some sliders with my dog. A delicious mistake in hindsight. 

I drove to Nashville and enjoyed a meal at a Thai place then went to the top of the virgin hotel to look at the skyline and had some ice cream then drove out to @BurntEyes place out in the woods and crashed with him. 

This drive sucks. Onward to dfw today may stop in Memphis for food, may not.  

14 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Second on Gus's Fried chicken down by the river in Memphis.  But stay away from The Rendevous, unless under-rendered, under-seasoned pork ribs happen to be your thing.

CSB/ We stopped at Rendezvous Ribs on a church trip in HS. Next morning about half the group was sick from food poisoning. 

with the dog the bourbon distilleries are probably out.  of your trip that's probably the highlight.  downtown louisville is great.   nashville also has some sights/eats worth stopping for.  you might be able to tool around shiloh with the dog.  that's an educational worthwhile visit.

On 9/9/2024 at 6:20 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Second on Gus's Fried chicken down by the river in Memphis.  But stay away from The Rendevous, unless under-rendered, under-seasoned pork ribs happen to be your thing.

If you are driving on I40 and want Gus’ stop by the original in Mason. There is no reason to go to Memphis when you can hit that location.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/10/2024 at 12:18 PM, Underdog said:

Should’ve stopped and got a hot brown while in Ky. 

image.jpeg.88c2b48de0a6840ae4b2dcc70b6641d0.jpeg

Instead, that skyline coney will give you a different hot brown. 

On 9/10/2024 at 12:25 PM, immamac said:

Shit thst looks excellent

It is the best sammich I’ve ever had …

https://www.brownhotel.com/dining/hot-brown