Coach Sark Press Conference 9.9 - Sometime in the Morning - LHN App

BigOrange1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

How charmed of a life are we living right now that we have people bitching that Sark didn't score enough points in the 2nd half in a game already out of reach at the home of the defending national champions?

He's on a short leash as far as I'm concerned.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

How charmed of a life are we living right now that we have people bitching that Sark didn't score enough points in the 2nd half in a game already out of reach at the home of the defending national champions?

Oh goddammit you're trying to get @closetojumping to write another one of these and ruin everything, aren't you? 

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, Not a cat said:

Question I would ask would be- Coach, between utsa, ulm and an actual bye week, you have 3 extra weeks to start putting in game plans for actual opponents, how are you going to divide that time between OU and UGA?

Even Sark wouldn't be above a coachspeak answer to that question.  We're not looking ahead, those teams are capable of beating anyone, etc.

2 hours ago, Not a cat said:

Question I would ask would be- Coach, between utsa, ulm and an actual bye week, you have 3 extra weeks to start putting in game plans for actual opponents, how are you going to divide that time between OU and UGA?

Poor Mississippi state and the start of SEC play. 

• Haha 2

Run time to shorten the game, don't give them a chance at making a big defensive play, less risk of injuries (including Ewers from a sack--I think that uncalled hit on Quinn set the offensive strategy after the last score), get more of our defensive players game time. 

The latter is key because inevitably, the D will have both injuries and stupid targeting calls, so need to make sure the depth is solid and experienced. That said, I hated that we gave up a late TD. Brought our average opponent scoring average up to 6 per game and put PK on notice.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Love the big win, didn’t love the weak play calling the second half and scoring only 7. I would say it’s been sark biggest weakness as a coach and I would love if someone would ask why the overly conservative approach to play calling in the second half. 

I have seen this type of thought posted a couple of times and here is my response to that type of thinking. Why would you ever show Georgia and Ohio St any more than you need to once the win is secured? Both of those teams will have analysts reviewing every one of our games this year over and over again and they will specifically focus on Michigan and OU and maybe a couple of other games. So why give them more to look at and scheme against? Sark is playing the long game.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, UTGrad98 said:

I have seen this type of thought posted a couple of times and here is my response to that type of thinking. Why would you ever show Georgia and Ohio St any more than you need to once the win is secured? Both of those teams will have analysts reviewing every one of our games this year over and over again and they will specifically focus on Michigan and OU and maybe a couple of other games. So why give them more to look at and scheme against? Sark is playing the long game.

I mean, the easy flip side to that one is just run more of what’s already on tape. If you want to get super tricky, run stuff to jack with down and distance tendencies. I absolutely understand why he did what he did and have no issue with it. I’d also have had no issue with Manning running the real offense for a quarter.

• Hook 'Em 1

We went into the Big House against the champs and choked them out in in about the amount of time it takes to watch a Seinfeld episode.

Should I be happy about the curb stomping? Fuck no. Now I have to worry about Arch transferring because he didn't get any run and Sarks lack of killer instinct. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

Giving them more to prepare for isn’t a bad thing. 

1 hour ago, TheAuditor said:

This.  I'd  love to hear the laminations of their women as much as the next,  but the only way Mich was going to win that game in the second half was if we allowed them back in with short fields.   

...laminations?

59 minutes ago, GTJ1982 said:

It's amazing we've gone from "fire Sark" to "don't question Sark".  

The responses in this thread aren't "don't question Sark," they're pointing out that the conservative playcalling in the second half was intentional and not the result of struggling. 

Reasonable people can differ. I'm sure many people wanted Sark to step on Michigan's neck and keep pouring it on. That kind of disagreement is fine, normal, and healthy.

But the post that drew all these responses didn't disagree with the strategy, it wrongly posited that Sark was struggling in the second half, called a weak game, and was unable to score. That's not a disagreement. It's an ignorant and inaccurate interpretation of the second half. The execution dropped off a bit, but that's also because we pulled our starters. Again - intentional, conscious decision making. Not struggling. 

Disagreement / questioning Sark is fine. But don't be a fucking dumbass about. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Negged for lack of unnecessary cursing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Take it however you like, but since Sark has been at Texas, I've noticed a tendency of Sark to not show up the opposing coach in many cases.  It may not be intentional, but very rarely does he just let the dogs eat in the second half.  OSU Big 12 CCG notwithstanding.  He does play the long game, and may not want to leave locker room material for the next time we see whichever team.  Interested to hear if he had an opinion or thoughts on the flag planting incident.  Doesn't seem to jive with his culture.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

too soon...maybe you could start reminiscing about a certain injury in a national championship game

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Take it however you like, but since Sark has been at Texas, I've noticed a tendency of Sark to not show up the opposing coach in many cases.  It may not be intentional, but very rarely does he just let the dogs eat in the second half.  OSU Big 12 CCG notwithstanding.  He does play the long game, and may not want to leave locker room material for the next time we see whichever team.  Interested to hear if he had an opinion or thoughts on the flag planting incident.  Doesn't seem to jive with his culture.

49-0 says hi. 

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Take it however you like, but since Sark has been at Texas, I've noticed a tendency of Sark to not show up the opposing coach in many cases.  It may not be intentional, but very rarely does he just let the dogs eat in the second half.  OSU Big 12 CCG notwithstanding.  

. . . and in that game he was making a case for the playoffs.  Week 2 isn't the same as the end of the season.  I'm completely comfortable with the way Sark managed this game, ESPECIALLY with Blue's close call, as are seemingly you and everyone else minus one.

Would have preferred to leave Michigan with a spanking they'd be moaning about ten years from now. 

When true freshman Garrett Gilbert walked on the field in our 2009 National Championship against Alabama, he brought with him something like 15 of 22 completions in his previous 9 appearances that year. Heck, that's almost 2.5 passes per game (okay, most likely against crappy opponents). Shoulda been ready. Against Alabama, he went 15 of 40. Even with that, seems like we were still in that game up until the waning moments. 

(FWIW, after college, he spent 7 yrs in the NFL.)

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Fuck You 5

5 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Would have preferred to leave Michigan with a spanking they'd be moaning about ten years from now. 

When true freshman Garrett Gilbert walked on the field in our 2009 National Championship against Alabama, he brought with him something like 15 of 22 completions in his previous 9 appearances that year. Heck, that's almost 2.5 passes per game (okay, most likely against crappy opponents). Shoulda been ready. Against Alabama, he went 15 of 40. Even with that, seems like we were still in that game up until the waning moments. 

(FWIW, after college, he spent 7 yrs in the NFL.)

I'm not sure why we even play the starting QB at all. We should just go with the backup to avoid the threat of transfer and if he gets hurt, we can just put the starter in.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Oh you're the Arch playing time guy. Still fucking that chicken in a new thread, I see.

Don't worry, he'll be playing against UTSA or whoever, next week. It's pretty much the same thing.

My scenario had him (and a boatload of other 2nd and 3rd stringers) kicking ass in the fourth quarter, gaining absolutely invaluable experience as we head toward a championship run beginning mid-season. But let's face it, that's not a valid opinion. Not enough sunshine.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Fuck You 7

1 hour ago, Hollywood said:

Based on the comments in this thread, the press conference lasted 31 seconds?

No time for the presser. Sark heard the drum beat and is working double time to make sure we run the score up this week. If not, there will be hell to pay. Pitchforks, torches, banners, t-shirts, "Dump Delconte and Jump the Sark", etc.

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Ok so you’re saying the play calling the second half wasn’t conservative? Lmao. Ok. Michigan wasn’t even that good. I didn’t like the play calling and felt we took the foot off the gas.

Michigan was indirectly waving the white flag by not hurrying their offense.  They just kept taking their sweet time doing practice reps for their offense.  I thought Sark acknowledged that and called off the dogs.

Edited by westexhorn
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

Michigan fans both at the game and since on Michigan Insider have been commenting on how nice Sarkisian is and what good sportsmanship the team showed. The TMI posters are basically thankful because they recognize that that game could have been 52-6 if we’d have wanted as much. 

I don’t think locker room material matters for this one. Michigan will have a different coach, staff and players when they come to Austin in 2027. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

Well, I for one hope he rains holy hell down upon Kyle field for all 4 quarters. Running backwards from the 1 yard line and taking a knee at midfield for the last play of the game to not top triple digits. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

12 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Well, I for one hope he rains holy hell down upon Kyle field for all 4 quarters. Running backwards from the 1 yard line and taking a knee at midfield for the last play of the game to not top triple digits. 

Can you imagine. A major blowout in front of 80,000 or so Aggies on National TV. Now you're talking. I think maybe you call off the dogs at 70-9.

• Fuck You 4

2 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

What would Alabama have done? What would Darrell Royal have done. I can recall week-in, week-out, Royal beating the hell out of the TCUs of the world. I don't think going easy was part of his make-up

Alabama certainly would have wanted to run up the score against us last season.

Did we not drop 49-0 to OU not too long ago?

It's not like Sark never runs up scores lol

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Michigan fans both at the game and since on Michigan Insider have been commenting on how nice Sarkisian is and what good sportsmanship the team showed. The TMI posters are basically thankful because they recognize that that game could have been 52-6 if we’d have wanted as much. 

Awww. That's so fucking sweet. I hope they put that on the team's bulleting board next week. "Remember guys, winning is important, but being a good sport means alot too."

• Fuck You 5