Tyreek Hill police body cam released

Derka

1 minute ago, immamac said:

I gave my extremely insightful opinion at length up thread. Your post is a bunch of nonsense sensationalism garbage. 

What exactly was sensational on it? I'm stating multiple facts of what's happening in response to "Why is this a big deal?" which didn't make sense as a question and seems to ignore dozens of factors.

If you don't want it to be a big deal, I agree. I think it shouldn't be and "wish" it weren't. Yet 9+ pages of replies blew up on this "story" in a few hours because of those factors and national news stories keep getting churned out on it to continue to make it a bigger deal.

I'm not the source of the sensationalism in this thread, that's for sure.

I think both sides claiming it's all the other are idiots. As is often the case.

That's about it.

29 minutes ago, Derka said:

i started working as “gym manager” (essentially running basketball and volleyball tournaments, set up and tear down equipment, work with game officials, deal with injuries, accidents, parents, etc) at my former school when i was 15 years old and got my first work permit. i worked that job until my early 30’s. during that time running the gym at a parochial school i dealt with more than my fair share of shitty parents with bad attitudes, loud mouths, and a failure to understand that 5th grade b team volleyball isn’t the fucking olympics. 

throughout all of those years i never once raised my voice to a shitty parent; never once cursed; defintely never threatened to attack or injure someone, much less actually do it. do y’all know how entitled 40 - 60-something rich people are? how goddamn uppity west austin sports parents can be? and yet it was my responsibility, at 15, at 30, on my best day, on my mentally ill worst day, to keep the peace, to be the adult, and to handle the situation in a calm manner, even when a rich, snobby, entitled parent is screaming across the gym at the scorer’s table about the score being wrong (it’s not), or getting in an official’s face over a call they disagree with, or because i asked their shitty kid to stop punting volleyballs all over the gym. 

i just want to ask everyone here who is making excuses for these dipshit cops why they hold these LEO’s to a lower standard than the one i was held to while running sports games for 11 year old rich kids and their loudmouth, entitled parents? why should i, specifically me, even at the age of 15, be asked to/able to be more of a calm, rational adult at such a low stakes job, than the LEO’s who carry badges, guns, and nearly unfettered power over all of us? seriously. think about what you’re saying, what you’re trying to justify. you’re holding the most powerful people to the lowest standard. be better.

Gem of a post. Why are the standards so abysmally low for police? They are the ones to hold to a higher standard. Not us. Don't like it? You can choose a different line of work.

The literal only justification for how they acted was legitimate fear for their life. With 20 cops there, and what common sense would tell you is a football player in an expensive car, there's just not any reason to feel like you're in danger. It's a straight up power trip.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

For the "He should have just cooperated" crew:

maybe don't tell them your username next time.

jk .  that's terrible.  sorry you have to go through that.  it's enraging.  there needs to be oversight with real teeth to enforce police behavior.  

14 hours ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

there is no such thing as a good cop. I have friends I grew up with who are cops, and family who are cops. They are bad people, because they are cops. Full stop, no buts.

it's evident why, but do you recognize your obvious bias?

5 hours ago, immamac said:

So there's a few things going on here that are all conflated and causing a lot of arguments and confusion and circular arguments. 

1) Tyreek hill acted like an entitled jackass and this obvious agitation worked against him. 

2) Cop acted unprofessionally on video and made poor judgements that are clear in hindsight, but were also fairly easy to recognize without hindsight. 

3) Nothing illegal happened after the stop or during the body cam footage. Tyreek is allowed by law to be a jackass and allowed to comply only with lawful orders and the cop is allowed by law to gain compliance with basic orders. 

So let's change 2 small things about the scenario and see how it is still wrong and how it could have possibly been right. 

Change 1) tyreek is still a dick to the officer but doesn't roll his window up and tells the cop he's calling his lawyer and wants some privacy, but is willing to comply if the police need additional information outside of what his lawyer says is needed with a warrant or probable cause. Basically the most legal dickhead you can possibly be, but still giving the cops what they need to feel secure and like they are in control of the stop. 

Cop looks even worse. Same end result. 

Change 2) tryeek has a firearm in his vehicle that he does not declare and show proper identification (if necessary in Florida ), upon being removed it is visible in the floorboard of the car.

Cop not a bad guy, actions justified, but still sketchy at best. 

The issue is that change #2 is what every cop thinks is going to happen every single time, because they don't want to get shot. 

What if the cops were just really really kind with tyreek?

What if tyreek was just really really kind with the cop?

I think @MNLonghornFUKM is arguing for decency in all situations not just this one and that's why he sounds like an obnoxious dick. He's not packaging the message right, because he like many is frustrated with how everyone is always acting like a fucking dick all the time. He isn't defending the police he's saying if everyone was decent to eachother this wouldn't happen. 

I think there are some others in this thread that are holding the police to the decency standard as a professional standard and this comes from the same source of frustration that people just are shitty to eachother by default nowadays and when you combine that with authority it is a really bad mix. 

not a lawyer, but in change #2 i don't think that's admissible as evidence. but yes there's a disconnect between what the officer thinks and reacts to vs what will hold up in court later on.  

4 hours ago, Gidnik said:

under no circumstance is anyone required by law to obey any law enforcement person just because they say so. 

yes and no. "because i said so" is never going to be the justification in court.  it'll be because they felt in danger, or because he had a reasonable suspicion that .... etc.  trouble is 1.) the driver doesn't have that information in the moment and won't unless he specifically asks and 2.) even if does ask he's at the physical mercy of the officers in the moment. 

when i first saw the footage of the interaction it looked like the end of a high speed chase video.  you know, the ones where at the end the suspect crashes the car, jumps out, and is then gang tackled and arrested by a group of chasing officers (with a few knees to the head thrown in).  even in those videos the human reaction with adrenaline pumping, though understandable, is disappointing, as you'd hope our finest in blue would have substantial training and experience in de-escalation and professionalism.  but this was a quarter mile "chase" of a suspect who immediately pulled over.  granted he was speeding, rude, not immediately compliant, and made poor decisions but that should've been handled better.  

in a way i'm glad this happened to tyreek and scottie because they're two more high profile data points of what should have happened and what shouldn't have happened.  there's more horrific that happens every day across our nation that doesn't make it to the public eye.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

They can do that. Many other things they did during the stop violate procedure. That’s the issue you aren’t comprehending. 

Also, it’s quite reasonable to criticize the officer’s actions but still have no sympathy for Hill, who FAFO’d, due to his disrespectful behavior. He definitely was also at fault. The problem is that the officer is trained to handle those situations and handled it outside of procedures. 

And just a reminder to those unaware, my company would research and provide body cam and dashcam video to police departments for internal officer investigations of officer violations. I’m not just talking out of my ass. 

In the post you responded to I mentioned their disorganized shit show during the traffic stop. But that's not what others are complaining about, nor what anyone outside of police circles cares about. Police violate procedure in far more significant ways every day of the fucking week.

3 hours ago, immamac said:

This. Why is everyone making a big deal out of this? 

Officer Dickhead is gonna get at minimum leave without pay and likely terminated. Tyreek has a bruised ego. Its a nothing burger. 

Obviously, the "big deal" is that this shit--and much worse--happens daily all over the country to people who don't have the fame of Tyreek Hill to shine a light on it, nor the money or legal representation to fight back.

That it will probably ultimately become a nothing burger is the problem.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Keef said:

No it isn't.  Putting aside what a stupid fucking law it is, if you bothered to read the article you linked, that law doesn't take effect until 2025. 

Good catch. Florida is among several states who've recently enacted similar laws. They mandate practive action but even without the law citizens are still required to move back from a police operation if so directed. 

One law that took effect in FL in July 2024 eliminated city-controlled citizen-police review boards. It's all in the control of the state and (shockingly) stacked in the favor of law enforcement. 

Just now, Chopper said:

Good catch. Florida is among several states who've recently enacted similar laws. They mandate practive action but even without the law citizens are still required to move back from a police operation if so directed. 

One law that took effect in FL in July 2024 eliminated city-controlled citizen-police review boards. It's all in the control of the state and (shockingly) stacked in the favor of law enforcement. 

Depends on how far back. They’re getting substantial pushback on being able to keep people back far enough to render video useless. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Cops definitely over reacted, but how hard is it to act like a civilized human being when one gets pulled over by a cop?

Cops will be dealing with all sort of people many of whom will be complete assholes and they should be trained to deal with it and de-escalate. I'm a broken record on this, but it's the fundamental problem with policing in this country, they overreach all the time and assume that every citizen they encounter is looking to blast them with a hidden gun. It's just not rational or reasonable and should be a big deal in a country that brags about civil rights.

In this situation, when Hill won't lower his window, just yell that you're gonna give him a ticket. All Hill is legally obligated to do is show license and registration (I think the video showed that he did this before rolling up his window). If he won't open the window on demand, tell you you need to give him his ticket and he can move along (also probably needs to return his license and registration). If Hill wants to be an asshole and call his lawyer over a fucking speeding ticket, fine, let him know he doesn't have to talk, but he's still getting a fucking ticket. I just don't think it's all that difficult in principle.  

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Cops will be dealing with all sort of people many of whom will be complete assholes and they should be trained to deal with it and de-escalate. I'm a broken record on this, but it's the fundamental problem with policing in this country, they overreach all the time and assume that every citizen they encounter is looking to blast them with a hidden gun. It's just not rational or reasonable and should be a big deal in a country that brags about civil rights.

In this situation, when Hill won't lower his window, just yell that you're gonna give him a ticket. All Hill is legally obligated to do is show license and registration (I think the video showed that he did this before rolling up his window). If he won't open the window on demand, tell you you need to give him his ticket and he can move along (also probably needs to return his license and registration). If Hill wants to be an asshole and call his lawyer over a fucking speeding ticket, fine, let him know he doesn't have to talk, but he's still getting a fucking ticket. I just don't think it's all that difficult in principle.  

Cops are very short fused when they feel their authoritai is being challenged. It is a bunch of small dicked washed up former HS football players still trying to run the yard in many situations. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 6

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

In this situation, when Hill won't lower his window, just yell that you're gonna give him a ticket. All Hill is legally obligated to do is show  license and registration (I think the video showed that Hill did this before rolling up his window). If he won't open the window on demand, tell you you need to give him his ticket and he can move along (also probably needs to return his license and registration). If he wants to be an asshole and call his lawyer over a fucking speeding ticket, fine, let him know he doesn't have to talk, but he's still getting a fucking ticket. I just don't think it's all that difficult in principle.  

This is an argument for speed camera enforcement rather than manned-enforcement. Ordering a driver to roll down their window and exit a vehicle are ingrained in police procedure, often for the use of subtextual searches, and there's not a winning argument that would change that. Not in this country anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Chopper said:

This is an argument for speed camera enforcement rather than manned-enforcement. Ordering a driver to roll down their window and exit a vehicle are ingrained in police procedure, often for the use of subtextual searches, and there's not a winning argument that would change that. Not in this country anyway. 

Require reasonable articulable suspicion of a crime or a threat to safety to justify making someone get out of the car.

Throw QI in the dumpster. 

Require cops to maintain malpractice insurance.

Have settlements paid out of the cops’ pension plan rather than the city budget. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Require reasonable articulable suspicion of a crime or a threat to safety to justify making someone get out of the car.

Have settlements paid out of the cops’ pension plan rather than the city budget. 

I'm in CO and the state just removed Qualified Immunity protection for LEO. There's a $25k limit however on damages for lawsuits alleging violations of civil rights. I don't know if QI removal is working as intended. "Policing" and all that such departments are responsible for needs to be reconfigured from the ground up. That's what "Defund the Po" was about but they were pretty dumb about naming it. 

27 minutes ago, 'stache said:

american police departments and emotionally fragile, volatile men (and women)- name a more iconic duo. 

12 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I'm in CO and the state just removed Qualified Immunity protection for LEO. There's a $25k limit however on damages for lawsuits alleging violations of civil rights. I don't know if QI removal is working as intended. "Policing" and all that such departments are responsible for needs to be reconfigured from the ground up. That's what "Defund the Po" was about but they were pretty dumb about naming it. 

How does CO purport to limit damages in federal court, though?

”Defund the police” is idiotic. “Hold the police accountable” is, imo, something all but the blue zealots would support. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Holy shit. I'm not exactly a Tyreek fan and was expecting him to come out looking poorly here.

Nope, shoulda known better.

Seems like yet another gross overreaction from those ostensibly employed to "protect and serve."

The cops will wish they'd not gotten so close when they end up pregnant 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

How does CO purport to limit damages in federal court, though?

”Defund the police” is idiotic. “Hold the police accountable” is, imo, something all but the blue zealots would support. 

CO doesn't purport to limit damages in federal court. The law is a state law. If you want to abolish qualified immunity federally the CO law is an example of a compromise that had to be made in order to secure passage of removal of qualified immunity in a blue state. If you're hoping for Congress to act, at a minimum it'd take adding Puerto Rico and DC as states, and possibly even abolishment of the EC. However, in my estimation, it would still be highly unlikely as Congress and the federal judiciary wouldn't want to put civil lawsuits against law enforcement on the federal docket. Therefore, laws of individual states would still guide. 

11 minutes ago, Chopper said:

CO doesn't purport to limit damages in federal court. The law is a state law. If you want to abolish qualified immunity federally the CO law is an example of a compromise that had to be made in order to secure passage of removal of qualified immunity in a blue state. If you're hoping for Congress to act, at a minimum it'd take adding Puerto Rico and DC as states, and possibly even abolishment of the EC. However, in my estimation, it would still be highly unlikely as Congress and the federal judiciary wouldn't want to put civil lawsuits against law enforcement on the federal docket. Therefore, laws of individual states would still guide. 

Why would you need to abolish the electoral college to get rid of QI? 

Civil lawsuits against law enforcement are already on the federal docket. §1983

1 hour ago, Doc Daneeka said:

That sounds great on the insurance, but I am thinking that would cost too much on a city cop's salary, especially small to midsized towns.  The lawsuit is likely cheaper than year over year premiums. 

Just now, Doc Daneeka said:

Why would you need to abolish the electoral college to get rid of QI? 

Civil lawsuits against law enforcement are already on the federal docket. §1983

Yeah but if there were no QI there would be many more of 'em. 

I mentioned the EC because of how politics work in this country and the fact that conservative southern and rural midwest states have outsized voting power. But maybe you're right, maybe there will be a national movement against law enforcement. Personally I'd start with abolishing police unions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, markstanco said:

That sounds great on the insurance, but I am thinking that would cost too much on a city cop's salary, especially small to midsized towns.  The lawsuit is likely cheaper than year over year premiums. 

Then they can self-insure with their pension fund. Or a get a group policy. I’m not an insurance expert, but the cops need to bear the burden of their malfeasance, not the population upon which they’re foisting their malfeasance  

If you can’t afford insurance for your activity, you probably shouldn’t be doing it or should be doing it better. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Yeah but if there were no QI there would be many more of 'em. 

I mentioned the EC because of how politics work in this country and the fact that conservative southern and rural midwest states have outsized voting power. But maybe you're right, maybe there will be a national movement against law enforcement. Personally I'd start with abolishing police unions. 

Good. Ignorance of the law is no excuse for us; it shouldn’t be an excuse for them. 

I’d have no issue getting rid of police unions, or public unions in general. It’s a little incestuous. 

3 hours ago, Chopper said:

Well, further, it depends on the cause of action.  What you most commonly see in federal courts is a "1983 violation," which is a violation of civil/constitutional rights.  If a state permits it, state law torts can be alleged in addition and might have a different flavor of qualified immunity than what the constitutional torts under 1983 permit.

Texas' version of official immunity for state torts is basically 100% immunity, it's not even qualified.  Colorado apparently is waiving immunity for state torts, but has a damage cap.

So that's why you pretty much only see 1983 claims in Texas.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

In the post you responded to I mentioned their disorganized shit show during the traffic stop. But that's not what others are complaining about, nor what anyone outside of police circles cares about. Police violate procedure in far more significant ways every day of the fucking week.

We arent talking about confusion. We’re talking about unnecessary use of force. And when the news comes out about the investigation on this, you’re going to be embarrassed at what you’ve written.

51 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

We arent talking about confusion. We’re talking about unnecessary use of force. And when the news comes out about the investigation on this, you’re going to be embarrassed at what you’ve written.

If you say so. I'm sure FL's dickhead governor will get right on that. Forgive me if I don't hold my breath. 

Edited by Chopper
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Derka said:

i started working as “gym manager” 

i just want to ask everyone here who is making excuses for these dipshit cops why they hold these LEO’s to a lower standard than the one i was held to while running sports games for 11 year old rich kids and their loudmouth, entitled parents?

It is a miracle that you are alive, considering all of the well-armed psychos who decide to die from "suicide by gym manager." 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

It is a miracle that you are alive, considering all of the well-armed psychos who decide to die from "suicide by gym manager." 

right, because that’s who deputy dipshit is pulling over on a daily basis. thats who populates this country. that’s who dade county thought they were pulling over when they pulled over superstar football player tyreek hill, on sunday, in his $200k sports car. 🙄 

also, being an educator is statistically more dangerous than being a cop, so you’re not only a smarmy douchebag, you also don’t have a point.

Edited by Derka
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

most dangerous jobs in america

1.logging workers

2.aircraft pilots and flight engineers

3.oil derrick operators 

4. roofers

5.garbage collectors

7.delivery drivers

12.crossing guards

16. highway maintenance workers

19.supervisors of mechanics 

21.ground maintenance workers

IMG_2868.thumb.jpeg.c42cce2c6fa92bfdb3476464c61c4bd0.jpeg

IMG_2869.thumb.jpeg.a4203c2fec92462ff1e04fc337355095.jpeg

so you’ve got “people who rake leaves” ahead of police officers in terms of dangerous jobs. your got doordash workers waaaay ahead of cops in terms of dangerous jobs. literal immigrants and people with ged’s who deliver mcdonald’s for a living have a far more dangerous job than cops, with none of the training, responsibility, guns, weapons, backup, and immunity. if you’re too scared to deal with john q. public while wearing what amounts to special forces gear, kevlar vests, tasers, guns, and copious amounts of backup soldiers, then maybe do everyone a favor and don’t become a cop you giant fucking pussy.

Edited by Derka
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

also, check the tape- the overwhelming majority of suicide by cop victims are nothing reseming “well armed psychos”. they are by and large overtly mentally ill people with a death wish, and the police in this country are more than happy to oblige them. we have a pussy police force in this country. we employ our dumbest and scaredest to patrol our streets. fucking embarrassing.

Edited by Derka

If I were black and had dealt with the police a few times, I would probably think they are all racist thugs. What I don't think you black folk understand is that they treat everyone like this. I am very white, bordering on albino, but I can assure you if I told a cop to quit knocking on my window, told him not to be telling me what to do, and then rolled my window back up, there is a 99% chance that hostilities are going to ensue. I have even done all the recommended procedures, rolled my window down, hands at 10 and 2, engine off, license and insurance ready, and still been treated rudely, threatened with arrest for no reason, thrown against my car - I am convinced that they train these assholes to conduct themselves this way. They are not racists, they are just bullies. If they treated the public with respect, they would be treated like heroes.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

It takes a fucking dumbass to go out of his way to provoke the police.  

This is a bad take. The police are not an occupying force. They are there to protect and serve. That has been lost. They aren't there to intimidate, escalate and subdue.

We are down the wrong path by thinking police are some form of Gestapo that keeps you in line. This is America for Christ's sake 

Provoke a police officer, then they should deescalate until you have passed a trained boundary of hurting yourself or others.  

We are presumed innocent until proven guilty 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

13 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Existing can provoke the police.

Of course, it can.  So, why give them more cause to make your life miserable?

6 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

This is a bad take. The police are not an occupying force. They are there to protect and serve. That has been lost. They aren't there to intimidate, escalate and subdue.

We are down the wrong path by thinking police are some form of Gestapo that keeps you in line. This is America for Christ's sake 

Provoke a police officer, then they should deescalate until you have passed a trained boundary of hurting yourself or others.  

We are presumed innocent until proven guilty 

No, you’re wrong.  My take is very much grounded in reality. 

19 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Of course, it can.  So, why give them more cause to make your life miserable?

No, you’re wrong.  My take is very much grounded in reality. 

Read what he wrote. He’s not wrong. He stated opinionsup until the end and that last sentence was factually correct. 

Here’s another opinion: Shuffling along meekly with your head down so you don’t provoke the bully with a badge isn’t the way it should be and those who promote such a take only entrench it. 

Start throwing them out on their asses with no pension, along with the ones who didn’t stop it.

5 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Yeah, I’m through.  But,  I do like my chances of getting out of a speeding ticket over the chances of @nineliveslost or @Doc Daneeka.

I haven’t gotten a ticket since I sold my R1. The last time I got pulled over in a car it was on the way to the airport for the Texas-Michigan Rose Bowl. When I told him we were late because someone wasn’t packed, he said “Hook ‘em and be careful.”