Gunnar Helm

BigHorn'13

Funny interview... 😋

Texas TE Gunnar Helm Talks Sark’s Offense & Leading by Example 

3rd & Longhorn        May 2, 2024

• how practice t-shirt colors are used for workouts.  (13min mark)  white, grey, orange, black shirt rating system. Gunnar:  "You don't want to be in a white shirt" 
  • Love the TE position requirements discussion and comments given to Gunnar about how "you sound like a pro" in your preparation.   22:10 min mark 

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, HuntinHorn said:

Dude can play.   Seems to be a little more mobile this year like he has shed some bad weight.   Hoping for big things from him.

Probably my imagination, but he almost seemed more like an eligible OT last season, as far as speed and mobility. Even if I’m a dumbass and he’s exactly the same as last year, he’s faster and more agile than I remember. Maybe it was just compared to JT.

Gunnar was on Finebaum this afternoon on my drive home. Did really well for himself.

Paawwlll did ask about being recruited by Bama prior to deciding on Texas, then lo and behold both his position coach and Sark arrive on the UT campus. It was a good solid 5 min interview.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, HuntinHorn said:

Dude can play.   Seems to be a little more mobile this year like he has shed some bad weight.   Hoping for big things from him.

Gunnar tells a funny story about his weight.  When he first showed up on campus, Texas coaches asked him to put on weight.  He then added something like 50 lbs.  He reported the next season and he was asked to drop some weight!  Team player!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Probably my imagination, but he almost seemed more like an eligible OT last season, as far as speed and mobility. Even if I’m a dumbass and he’s exactly the same as last year, he’s faster and more agile than I remember. Maybe it was just compared to JT.

Agreed...I had the same feeling.   He seems faster and more mobile like a legit passing game threat at TE this year.

Edited by HuntinHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Reminds me of the good ol David Thomas days. Great game Gunnar! 

throwing in a favorite DT TD catch while I'm at it. And Gunnar looks like a bigger faster DT. 

Spoiler

Edited by cam4mav
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

His career YPC is 13.4 (and trending up each year -- 8.8 to 13.7 to 15.6)

Sanders' was 13.1

David Thomas' was 13.9

Finley was 12.5

Scaife was 13.3

Helm is going to play in Sundays.  He played as a true freshman but recorded no catches.  Normally I would regret that for him and us.  But honestly, he probably would go pro even if he had that year back.

There is zero dropoff from Sanders to Helm.  I was not expecting that.

• Hook 'Em 7

7 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Right before that last catch , 2nd and 15 with about 5 minutes left in the 3rd I said we need to go to Helm again here. I felt it was a crucial point in the game where if we had something bad happen (sack, penalty, turnover etc)there Michigan might possibly have a shot to get back in the game. That was such a smooth, purely hands catch and effortlessly cut upfield for more yardage that it'll give NFL OCs a chubby as they do their draft prep. Could not have been a better display of his skillset. 

Also killed any prayer meatchicken had left in the game 

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

There is zero dropoff from Sanders to Helm.  I was not expecting that.

Same here.   Was expecting the Bama TE to carry the load and Helm do what he did with Sanders on the team.   Liking what I am seeing from the kid.