Feral Pigs - how do I get rid of 'em?

They will be there forever, you must bow to your new pig overlords. I kill as many as I can every chance I get and I have 3x as many as before. They are impossible to control with traps, hunting or any other method. Learn to deal with them.

We were laughing at how absurd it is the other night. I killed a sow with babies that were the size of small rabbits. There is no way they will survive right? Over the next two months I saw those little fuckers on game cams just growing up on their own. Now they are medium sized terrorists running around at 2am eating everything they can find. 

Edited by HOOKEM4
ousux
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The only place I have seen that actually defeated them buried a predator apron in the ground around the perimeter when they high-fenced their place. Then brought in a helicopter to kill off every one of them inside the fence. Expensive, but it worked. 

7 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

While funny, I’m guessing those dots aren’t just ferrel pigs, but hog farms accounted for as well?

Only way it makes sense. 

Hell if I know.  For whatever reason I saw this image online the other day, then this thread popped up.  I have no idea where I saw it originally.

I searched Google and found the image on a reddit thread.

My completely uneducated and wild-assed guess would be that you are correct about the hog farms.  Too many dots in Iowa and surrounding area.  But for all I know there used to be a huge hog problem in the corn fields.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

That’s what made me think that. In some places there “can’t” be that many ferrel, else it would be all over the news about our new bacon overlords. 

Correct. That’s a USDA map showing hog farm density in the year of our lord 1948. 

On 9/11/2024 at 11:55 AM, Da Fino said:

The only place I have seen that actually defeated them buried a predator apron in the ground around the perimeter when they high-fenced their place. Then brought in a helicopter to kill off every one of them inside the fence. Expensive, but it worked. 

Our place in Coleman County has hogs, but not as bad as we used to.  Some of our neighbors went this route with high fencing and a helicopter shoot.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174980484312

My folks also had a guy for a while that set up this kind of system on their place, trapped them, then hauled them off and shipped them over to China/Asia when the swine flu was real bad over there a while back.

but yeah, in general, you (and Texas) are fooked

https://www.texasmonthly.com/travel/texas-feral-hog-problem-swine-country/

Edited by UTexasFight

On 9/12/2024 at 1:35 PM, ROFL BOX said:

SW?

Toss up a zip code.  While we can't get  em all, I know of some from this BBS (+me) who would come out to hunt them.  I'm Hays.

How many acres?

only 5.5 acres.  Not sure the neighbors would appreciate a group hunt :)  I'm as far northwest as you can get in Travis county. 

only 5.5 acres.  Not sure the neighbors would appreciate a group hunt   I'm as far northwest as you can get in Travis county. 

Gun = minimum 10 acres.
Archery or crossbow will legally get 'er done.
[mention=1107]gsoda3[/mention], are you in?  [mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention] will make some cabeza soup.

e1914c71e70364c9833bb41e78aec4a7.jpg