The situation in Springfield, Ohio- Haitians, Cats, and High Minded Rhetoric

Derka

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

In Canton, OH, 170 miles away and like four years ago.

Crazy white lady.  In Ohio.  If she votes/voted, there's like a 98.7% chance she voted for both Trump and Vance.  Which makes their idiocy in using that video even more delicous.

Not as delicious as a cat sauce piquant, mind you....but pretty delicious.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

That's the core of white resentment. They were born on 3rd, think they hit a triple, the inning ended, and they keep striking out and blaming everything but their own lack of skill.

You believe the white people featured in that video, from Springfield Ohio, were born on 3rd?  Being from Ohio is much more akin to getting earholed by Nolan in his prime, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, fattyflattie said:

You believe the white people featured in that video, from Springfield Ohio, were born on 3rd?  Being from Ohio is much more akin to getting earholed by Nolan in his prime, imo. 

Compared to life in Haiti? Yeah, that's a triple.

• Hook 'Em 9

5 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

One of my coworkers who’s sits 10’ from my office grew up in Springfield and his folks still live there.  What they can’t figure out is what has drawn all the Haitians to this one horse town.

I would assume an abundance of work/jobs are available.

jobs Americans refuse to do.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, YChang said:

The fact that some Americans don't understand how immigrant communities "happen" is kinda sad. How the fuck do you think your Irish, Scottish, whatever grandparents settled... once someone was brave enough to put down roots, find jobs, create a community it happens. It's not that complicated. 

I've already pointed out to a few MAGA relatives that our German ancestors settled in towns in Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas over 150 years ago and they chose towns that had German communities that had German-language newspapers, with German-language signs on the stores, streets, etc..  These were podunk towns that still managed to crank out newspapers in multiple languages.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

This is who Vance wrote about in his book.  And he's done nothing and has nothing proposed to help them at all. 

Vance despises them. His revenge is gaining personal power while they are still stuck where they were. He'll make their lives worse in any way he can.

Almost all of them will vote for him anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

shit, it happened relatively recently in Euless in the mid-cities corridor between Dallas and Fort Worth.  hundreds of Tongans set up shop there to work jobs at DFW in the 70s, and it has grown.  but they don't eat cats and dogs. they just kick ass at football.  Euless Trinity is a powerhouse because of those kids.  it's a fascinating story. but in the grand scheme of things, not unusual.

starring Patrick Vahe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlgvPizowJ4

Dallas/DFW also has a pretty "vibrant" Mormon community, which I think both attracts and guides them there.

1 hour ago, locodos said:

Yeah I'm having a hard time believing the rednecks are getting heated over eating duck.

I can guarantee that this story gave some rednecks ideas on where they can easily poach duck. “ I never thought about parks or cemeteries. Let’s head out after 10 tonight.”

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

I would assume an abundance of work/jobs are available.

jobs Americans refuse to do.

There a recent video of a factory manager who employs a bunch of Haitians and basically said they were great workers, showed up on time, didn’t leave their station all shift, basically doing what the local population wouldn’t do. It had a bit of I found workers to exploit feel, but also manager was basically calling out the non-Haitians in town who wouldn’t work at the factory and be a responsible employee. You know who he’s referring to, the they took our jobs crowd while refusing to do said job.

42 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I mentioned this in another thread, but my ex's extended family all live in the panhandle around Hartley. The town was on it's last legs and the school (one building, K-12) was about to shut down and kids would have to bus to Dalhart. Several big dairies moved in and the immigrants that worked in them kind of saved the town. Now all the locals are mad they have to hear Spanish in the stores...the same stores that were about to close down. 

Imagine having to go to Dalhart for things.

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

For a political movement that prides itself on "telling it like it is" after finally finishing that video I wonder how the conservatives would respond to someone telling all those townies that they're unemployable losers, a drain on society, and no politician will ever change that.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

SIAP but all of this stems from a horrible accident where an 11 year old boy on a school bus was killed by a Haitian driver.  JD Vance Tweeted he was murdered by a Haitian immigrant.  The fucking GOP should be ashamed about how they tried to capitalize on this kids death.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/09/11/trump-vance-aiden-clark-death-ohio-haitian-immigrants/

https://fox40.com/news/national-and-world-news/his-son-died-in-a-crash-with-a-haitian-immigrant-he-says-trump-vance-are-using-it-for-political-gain/amp/

From the dad:

You know, I wish that my son, Aiden Clark, was killed by a 60-year-old white man,” Clark said. “I bet you never thought anyone would ever say something so blunt. But if that guy killed my 11-year-old son, the incessant group of hate-spewing people would leave us alone. The last thing that we need is to have the worst day of our lives violently and constantly shoved in our faces.”

Man.  So yeah, the memes are funny, but this is one of the lowest things the GOP has done. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 6

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Didn’t Hillary try to tell West Virginians that the coal jobs weren’t coming back? Those people want to be lied to

Oh, I know, but Hillary said something boring, wonky, and impersonal.

This is a more brutal type of honesty about what's obvious to anyone with eyes and common sense.

4 hours ago, royiv said:

I really hope I’m wrong, but if this Springfield continues to get oxygen, and I have no reason to believe it won’t, I’m genuinely afraid we’re going to see violence in that city. 

We should hand out free AR-15s to all the Haitian immigrants.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Pancho said:

And there it is....

For her part, Newton, Lee’s neighbor, said she remains concerned that the influx of Haitians is negatively affecting the city’s healthcare and education systems.

“I think it was two years ago now, I went to the [Bureau of Motor Vehicles] to renew my license or my tags. I can't remember, but I was sitting in the BMV, and the only way I know to describe it is I felt like … I was transported, because all around me it was people talking a different language. … I felt like I was the minority,” she said.

• Rage+1 3

6 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I was transported, because all around me it was people talking a different language. … I felt like I was the minority,” she said.

This is how I feel any time I encounter people under 30

Excuse Me Reaction GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 6