The situation in Springfield, Ohio- Haitians, Cats, and High Minded Rhetoric

Derka

44 minutes ago, yoladu said:

i bet you can find quotes of both Trump and Vance saying they have no problem with legal immigration when done properly (which seems to be the canned response from the right when they are accused of a racist bent to their immigration stance.) 

By all accounts this immigrant community did everything right (but you know.. don't let facts get in the way of a cynical political wedge)

Correct.  Because the old right wing "oh, we just want immigrants to follow the rules, we only have a problem with illegal immigrants" IS A GODDAMNED MOTHERFUCKING LIE AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN.  THESE FUCKHOLES ARE FULL-ON RACIST XENOPHOBIC NATIVIST EVIL ASSHOLES.  THAT'S IT.  STOP TRYING TO GIVE IT NUANCE, OR A CREDIBLE ANGLE.  THERE IS NO CREDIBLE ANGLE.

They are attaching people who are LEGALLY within this country.  Because those people are....you know.....ummm...."different."

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Correct.  Because the old right wing "oh, we just want immigrants to follow the rules, we only have a problem with illegal immigrants" IS A GODDAMNED MOTHERFUCKING LIE AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN.  THESE FUCKHOLES ARE FULL-ON RACIST XENOPHOBIC NATIVIST EVIL ASSHOLES.  THAT'S IT.  STOP TRYING TO GIVE IT NUANCE, OR A CREDIBLE ANGLE.  THERE IS NO CREDIBLE ANGLE.

They are attaching people who are LEGALLY within this country.  Because those people are....you know.....ummm...."different."

part of the issue is how they are legally classified. Entering legally (with a visa) is usually not the case for Haitians. They cross the border illegally and then are given temporary status allowing them to remain, work, etc. Previous options without temp status was lock them up in Guantanamo.

I am not defending the right wing assholes, but the Dems should point out this system has been in place for a long ass time and that is how it works.

• Hook 'Em 2

There was a Dotardarian at our tailgate last weekend. Politics came up briefly, in the form of “Can you believe that crazy eating pets bullshit they’re pushing?”. The Dotardarian chimed in with “Actually I heard that’s true.”

Turns out that him hearing that it’s true came from some random people on the internet saying that it’s true. These people lose their fucking minds when it comes to politics. Otherwise bright people (sometimes) just can’t process this shit rationally.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

There was a Dotardarian at our tailgate last weekend. Politics came up briefly, in the form of “Can you believe that crazy eating pets bullshit they’re pushing?”. The Dotardarian chimed in with “Actually I heard that’s true.”

Turns out that him hearing that it’s true came from some random people on the internet saying that it’s true. These people lose their fucking minds when it comes to politics. Otherwise bright people (sometimes) just can’t process this shit rationally.

My MIL is full-blown MAGA.   This pisses my wife off to no end, but at least both make an effort to be cordial and not talk about political shit in the presence of each other, our kids, etc.

Some time ago, they veered pretty close, however.   Some kind of hard core shit you only see on Facebook that my MIL was proclaiming to be true, but it wasn't in the news "anywhere".  My wife let her rant on, then asked her how was it true?  "Because it was on the internet"!  she proclaimed.

So, my wife reminded her of what her mother used to say to her when they first had internet access in their house in the mid-90's:  "You can't believe everything on the internet, so you need to be careful".

Mother in law thought for a few moments, and came back with "But this is different".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

13 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

My MIL is full-blown MAGA.   This pisses my wife off to no end, but at least both make an effort to be cordial and not talk about political shit in the presence of each other, our kids, etc.

Some time ago, they veered pretty close, however.   Some kind of hard core shit you only see on Facebook that my MIL was proclaiming to be true, but it wasn't in the news "anywhere".  My wife let her rant on, then asked her how was it true?  "Because it was on the internet"!  she proclaimed.

So, my wife reminded her of what her mother used to say to her when they first had internet access in their house in the mid-90's:  "You can't believe everything on the internet, so you need to be careful".

Mother in law thought for a few moments, and came back with "But this is different".

Fast And Furious Fight GIF by The Fast Saga

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Ben Carson is a neurosurgeon with degrees from Yale and Michigan and works at Johns Hopkins and thinks pyramids are grain silos.

Anyone who has ever spent a meaningful amount of time with doctors in a social setting figures out pretty quickly that their critical thinking skills are probably worse than that of the average 4 year degree holder.

• Hook 'Em 4

39 minutes ago, Red Five said:

They desperately want it to be true because it helps justify their worst impulses. They know it's not right to discriminate against people due to ethnicity or gender or sexual preference UNLESS they can somehow demonize the other side. The other factor is that Fox News (and other "media" outlets) play fast and loose with the "facts" in their 30-year culture war.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

Lol. The comment section is hilarious. MAGA doing all kinds of mental gymnastics to say he didn't say the n word. He clearly said it. Accept it and move on. We knew he is the kind of guy who would say it anyway. And she is the kind of person who is used to hearing  it.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

This is where you and mom turn to the kids and say "I want you guys to remember how crazy grandma sounds right now. This is what happens when you go down weird internet rabbit holes."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, gmr548 said:

This is where you and mom turn to the kids and say "I want you guys to remember how crazy grandma sounds right now. This is what happens when you go down weird internet rabbit holes."

I like to hit my mom with "And this is why it's my job as uncle to make sure my nephews and your grandsons don't ever end up like you" 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/15/2024 at 7:50 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

“Hey look, if I have to make up lies to get people to hate immigrants and promote race violence then I will.”

How the fuck does anyone vote for this? 

This country is so fucked even if Harris wins.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

With this rhetoric, the Republican party is picking from the most predictable xenophobic playbook and invoking time-worn fear mongering: That immigrants “eat pets” is meant to signify their backwardness, danger, and inferiority; in turn, it then justifies the Republican party’s efforts to curtail immigration. For those perpetuating this false narrative, the truth has taken a back seat to the intended message: that immigrants are not “like us” and therefore pose a threat to hard-won American lives. The dichotomy being created is of white “Americans” with household pets like Fluffy and Fido as members of the family, and immigrants as trouncing on that which is held dear.

https://www.eater.com/24242186/immigrants-eat-cats-and-dogs-racist-trope-explained-trump-harris-debate

• Rage+1 3

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

This sounds eerily close to my MIL -  she is, to this day, convinced Obama is/was some sort of Manchurian candidate type figure out to destroy the US from within, and the only reason more people aren't aware of his "true origins" is because BIG TECH is silencing and suppressing anyone that speaks out or has evidence. When I ask her how she knows about it then, without any hint of irony or self-awareness, she says "It's right there on YouTube!"

• Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Anyone who has ever spent a meaningful amount of time with doctors in a social setting figures out pretty quickly that their critical thinking skills are probably worse than that of the average 4 year degree holder.

Now do IT and engineers.

Some professions see black and white. They are taught there is no medium ground at all. A good example is looking at terrorists. They tend to be engineers and doctors. It is the poets and lawyers who may create the vision, but rarely do they implement.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

This sounds eerily close to my MIL -  she is, to this day, convinced Obama is/was some sort of Manchurian candidate type figure out to destroy the US from within, and the only reason more people aren't aware of his "true origins" is because BIG TECH is silencing and suppressing anyone that speaks out or has evidence. When I ask her how she knows about it then, without any hint of irony or self-awareness, she says "It's right there on YouTube!"

I don't think a lot of the brains on this planet were prepared for the internet. The things they see and hear that they believe.... back in oh say 1981, you would have only heard that shit from someone standing on a street corner screaming. Or on one of those community access shows at midnight. And they would have called those people loons. Now, they turn on their youtube machine and there it is, so by golly it must be true. 

• Hook 'Em 4

43 minutes ago, texas08 said:

With this rhetoric, the Republican party is picking from the most predictable xenophobic playbook and invoking time-worn fear mongering: That immigrants “eat pets” is meant to signify their backwardness, danger, and inferiority; in turn, it then justifies the Republican party’s efforts to curtail immigration. For those perpetuating this false narrative, the truth has taken a back seat to the intended message: that immigrants are not “like us” and therefore pose a threat to hard-won American lives. The dichotomy being created is of white “Americans” with household pets like Fluffy and Fido as members of the family, and immigrants as trouncing on that which is held dear.

https://www.eater.com/24242186/immigrants-eat-cats-and-dogs-racist-trope-explained-trump-harris-debate

Well, Eater.com enters the political fray; smack dab between "How the Humble Michelada Became a Booming Side Hustle" and "Three New Cookbooks for People Who Want to Eat More Beans"

Edited by yoladu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, royiv said:

Trump and the couch fucker conjure up a fake crisis to rile up the base and end up creating a real crisis as the byproduct.

5 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

With the cops needing to respond to all these threats who is guarding the animal shelter, park lakes and fluffy out on the street corner? See, the plot has to be the Haitians.

If George Soros spent money to get Laura Loomer into Trump's inner circle, and to have somebody (internet bots) convincing Trump and Couchfucker to keep up the Haitian immigrant bullshit, it's money well-spent because while it may not flip Ohio, it is A) putting the GQP's worst traits in regard to minorities, in the spotlight and B) sucking up airtime that would be spent going after Harris.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, yoladu said:

Well, Eater.com enters the political fray; smack dab between "How the Humble Michelada Became a Booming Side Hustle" and "Three New Cookbooks for People Who Want to Eat More Beans"

Mcheladas slam. I make a couple fairly often, because one beer makes two micheladas. And they were part of the learning curve for sangritas, ie how to make tomato juice delicious.

Edited by Willfully Horn