'Salem's Lot (2024)

South Austin

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Didn't see a thread, and if there is one, I'll GTFO.  One of my favorite Stephen King books, and I loved the 1979 miniseries as a kid.  I think it all comes down to how Straker and Barlow are portrayed.  I'm in.

image.thumb.png.864bc55dd99b9789e7e43c78d1bdd7be.png

was this one any good?

45 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Looks pretty faithful to the book.  And that Gordon Lightfoot song is perfect.

I don't think I've read 'Salem's Lot since my 30s, maybe earlier than that.  I don't recall the original TV movie veering too far from the book (like The Shining, for example), but the scene in the new trailer of the chase of the vampire crowd over town was not in the original movie (iirc).

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Nothing creeped me out more than that kid floating outside the window.

giphy (13).gif

Yep, that's an all-timer.  I didn't have the plastic figures that the ringmeat kid did, but a lot of my friends did.  That could have been me.

19 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I don't think I've read 'Salem's Lot since my 30s, maybe earlier than that.  I don't recall the original TV movie veering too far from the book (like The Shining, for example), but the scene in the new trailer of the chase of the vampire crowd over town was not in the original movie (iirc).

Probably not.  Not suggesting shot for shot.  But it's got good book vibes (although that's not how I envisioned Susan).

6 hours ago, South Austin said:

Didn't see a thread, and if there is one, I'll GTFO.  One of my favorite Stephen King books, and I loved the 1979 miniseries as a kid.  I think it all comes down to how Straker and Barlow are portrayed.  I'm in.

I was 9 when that came out. When the little kid was scratching on his brothers window I nearly crapped my pants. Couldn’t sleep for a week

Edited by Sawbonz
Didn’t scroll before posting. We are old

16 hours ago, Spoetzl said:

I liked it as much as the 1979 one. And the cast is ridiculously good (Donald Sutherland as Straker and Rutger Hauer as Barlow).

Same-it was a solid update and relatively unappreciated.  Obviously the visual of the vampire kid at the window is iconic, at least to horror film fans, and the update lacks anything that memorable.  

so how does ‘salem’s lot stack up as a book compared to some of king’s best like the stand or it?  those are the only long novels I’ve read, and then probably a dozen of his short stories.  but both of them were some of the most fun I’ve ever had reading anything. 

Edited by futureman

so how does ‘salem’s lot stack up as a book compared to some of king’s best like the stand or it?  those are the only long novels I’ve read, and then probably a dozen of his short stories.  but both of them were some of the most fun I’ve ever had reading anything. 

Not as long but definitely one of his best IMO.

On 9/14/2024 at 1:16 PM, Nole-4-Life said:

True. Just pointing out unnecessary DEI. pandering

Let's break this down.  The show is produced by private parties, not governmental entities.  Their job tends to be to make shows that people will watch and advertisers will buy on.  Some people will like changing the race of the characters, some won't, most won't care.  Did King ever specify that Mark Petrie was white?

Pretty arguably, all of television and movies is pandering.

Why do you choose to get worked up about a "race change" in a TV show?  What about the other plot departures?  Why does it matter?  Does it threaten you?

• Drool 1

15 hours ago, Nole-4-Life said:

I just pointed out unnecessary DEI and everyone lost their minds. Please go on with your lives.

You're an idiot. 

I guess in your world, the casting call for Mark Petrie should have included something along the lines of "If you're anything but a white actor, don't bother showing up."  Or, maybe, when all of the child actors showed up for the audition, casting should have called out, "Good morning, everyone, thanks for being here.  All of you who are black, hispanic, asian, or otherwise nonwhite, you can leave."

Or maybe, just maybe, the casting call didn't specify anything about Mark Petrie's race, and maybe, just maybe, that after all of the child actors auditioned, they chose the one who they thought was the most talented and best portrayed their vision of this character, and he just happened to have been black.

Simply crying out "DEI!" is lazy at best, racist at worst. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, mchookem said:

fast read. one of my favorites, along with The Shining. scared the shit out of me at 12! 

That's what I recall.  I read the book somewhere in my late teens after I had seen the 1979 movie as a younger kid.  It's nowhere near as long as books like The Stand or IT.  And like a lot of books adapted to film, there's a fair amount that the original film left out, likely due to just available film time.  I highly recommend.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, South Austin said:

You're an idiot. 

I guess in your world, the casting call for Mark Petrie should have included something along the lines of "If you're anything but a white actor, don't bother showing up."  Or, maybe, when all of the child actors showed up for the audition, casting should have called out, "Good morning, everyone, thanks for being here.  All of you who are black, hispanic, asian, or otherwise nonwhite, you can leave."

Or maybe, just maybe, the casting call didn't specify anything about Mark Petrie's race, and maybe, just maybe, that after all of the child actors auditioned, they chose the one who they thought was the most talented and best portrayed their vision of this character, and he just happened to have been black.

Simply crying out "DEI!" is lazy at best, racist at worst. 

Whatever you say.

57 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Let's break this down.  The show is produced by private parties, not governmental entities.  Their job tends to be to make shows that people will watch and advertisers will buy on.  Some people will like changing the race of the characters, some won't, most won't care.  Did King ever specify that Mark Petrie was white?

Pretty arguably, all of television and movies is pandering.

Why do you choose to get worked up about a "race change" in a TV show?  What about the other plot departures?  Why does it matter?  Does it threaten you?

I'm  not worked up. I made an observation and the whole board lost it's mind about it. Y'all are the ones worked up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

Continuing from above, why does it bother you that a character should be white or black?  Or hispanic, or Asian?  Do you consider that a material change from the source material?  If so, why?

And, no one "lost their mind" and certainly not the whole board.

You came in with a hot take invoking the current right-wing shibboleth of "DEI."  You got four negs for it, and several calm replies questioning your use of the term.

Maybe you people that invoke right-wing boogeymen like DEI or CRT should question why you do that, and what exactly is wrong with it?

• Hook 'Em 1