Jane's: Perry has mental breakdown on stage

Gil Bang

Here's a full show from June. 

Perry's holding up a bottle of wine backstage before he goes on.

I did a quick scan of some of the songs.  Summertime Rolls was "ok", but he seems to be singing all around the beat and struggles to hit some of the notes at times.
"Ocean Size" - music was great; voice was a little off - a little flat on almost all of the high notes.  Same for "Mountain Song" and the others.
"Been Caught Stealing" sounded shitty IMO.  Perry sounds high/drunk/off during his monologues.  His voice seems to weaken and sound worse the further he proceeds.  "Jane Says" was very disappointing, 

The band sounds great.  Perry does not.

He's always struck me as being a borderline crazy person.  Add lots of drugs and drink to that and you get what @Gil Bang posted.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/perry-ferrell-wife-offers-dramatic-163335512.html

Etty Lou Farrell, the spouse of Jane’s Addiction singer Perry Farrell, has posted her own account of why the band’s show went deeply south Friday night in Boston, with a detailed explanation of who was doing what — and who was punching who — during and after a calamitous confrontation that brought the concert to an early halt.

She wrote on her Instagram account Saturday morning that her husband was upset about the band’s sound levels drowning out his vocals, and that led to his assault on seemingly unsuspecting guitarist Dave Navarro

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

7 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

That's not a mental breakdown, that's a drunk in the blackout stage.

Most of us have heard the joke about why here's a reason why they aren't called Jane's Sobriety.

And was that truly just alcohol? (had to post this gif I've seen before, and glad somebody posted it on reddit).

cocaine GIF

2 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

It's pretty close to impossible to sing live if the guitar amps are several orders of magnitude louder than the human voice (including the level of vocal in the monitor).  

I don't know if he's got a legitimate beef with Navarro or not, but it's not impossible.  

59 minutes ago, freyguy said:

Doesn't the venue sound guy control all that?

Exactly.  There's a fucking board out there somewhere.  Navarro's job is to rock his fucking ass off.   Somebody else is running the mix. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Paul is correct.  Yes, there is a FOH (front of house) mixer running the sound everyone hears, and a monitor mixer running what each individual player hears.  Those individuals want different things.  Combine that with a guitar player like Navarro who almost surely wants his amp cranked to get the feel he wants on stage, and it can be a battle of wills.  Plus, bottles of wine.

All of this can be simultaneously true:
- Perry's vocals sound like shit and have for the better part of 5 years.  Seems like he has not been doing the proper warmup and warmdown for normal vocalists, much less the "screamer" types.  Axl Rose has kept his voice in shape through disciplined pre-show warmups and and post-show warmdowns.  And he will readily admit some days are better than others.

- Perry's in-ear monitors are not adequate.  Regardless, if his voice is failing, he'll still sound horrible.

- Perry was hammered

- Perry was high.

- Stage monitors were too loud.  This could be for many reasons.  Navarro wants to hear himself better or they want to drown out Perry or both.

- JA's band is sounding pretty damned good.

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Paul is correct.  Yes, there is a FOH (front of house) mixer running the sound everyone hears, and a monitor mixer running what each individual player hears.  Those individuals want different things.  Combine that with a guitar player like Navarro who almost surely wants his amp cranked to get the feel he wants on stage, and it can be a battle of wills.  Plus, bottles of wine.

A battle of wills, a bottle of wine

Whichever one makes you feel fine

I’ll meet you anywhere you want

For fisticuffs and some taunts

Dave and Perry had had it already by the 

fifth song of the night

Voices were raised as the guitar raged 

and all that was left was to fight 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

The remainder of the tour was officially called off Monday morning.

Navarro posted a more detailed statement on behalf of himself and the two other members of the group, writing, “Due to a continuing pattern of behavior and the mental health difficulties of our singer Perry Farrell, we have come to the conclusion that we have no choice but to discontinue the current US tour. Our concern for his personal health and safety as well as our own has left us no alternative. We hope that he will find the help he needs.”

Another video of that concert showed Perry singing and slurring through the wrong parts of Ocean Size. He was singing the verse or chorus through the solo and it was screwing the band up. Dave walked over to Perry to indicate it was time for the solo, Perry gave him a death glare while the solo went on, and I guess Perry lost it after that. Dipshit. 

I had tickets to the show in Portland.  I'm disappointed. I first saw Jane's Addiction at Numbers in Houston for the Nothing's Shocking tour in 1989. $6 at the door!

It was the first show I got to stagedive at.  A lot of the groups I saw back then are doing farewell show so I wanted to have one last chance to see them.  Sucks.

I also really wanted to see Love & Rockets.  It would have been cool if the promoters had replaced JA with another popular 80's/90's alt rock band - say Psychedelic Furs or The Cult or someone of that stature.  

Edited by Nuge
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Nuge said:

I had tickets to the show in Portland.  I'm disappointed. I first saw Jane's Addiction at Numbers in Houston for the Nothing's Shocking tour in 1989. $6 at the door!

It was the first show I got to stagedive at.  

I saw the same tour, at the Backroom in Austin. Perry was asking the crowd for drugs. It was an amazing show though. JA in their prime (I saw the Ritual tour at the old Austin Coliseum as well) was untouchable. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I'll always have the Bronco Bowl show.
I was at that show, too.

My roommates at the time worked at The Ritz. The manager rented a big passenger van and we all rode up to Dallas to see that show. Good times.

On 9/14/2024 at 9:54 AM, boilerhorn said:

Here's a full show from June. 

Perry's holding up a bottle of wine backstage before he goes on.

I did a quick scan of some of the songs.  Summertime Rolls was "ok", but he seems to be singing all around the beat and struggles to hit some of the notes at times.
"Ocean Size" - music was great; voice was a little off - a little flat on almost all of the high notes.  Same for "Mountain Song" and the others.
"Been Caught Stealing" sounded shitty IMO.  Perry sounds high/drunk/off during his monologues.  His voice seems to weaken and sound worse the further he proceeds.  "Jane Says" was very disappointing, 

The band sounds great.  Perry does not.

He's always struck me as being a borderline crazy person.  Add lots of drugs and drink to that and you get what @Gil Bang posted.

The singing on Three Days was also... wow.

I listened to a few other parts and he was flat almost everywhere.

• Hook 'Em 1